What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (1 Viewer)

Colby was right about Woodley Usman.  Snoozefest.  Now we see why Tyron was dodging Colby, it would have been the same thing.  Despite his wrestling pedigree, Tyron can't handle the constant wrestling pressure from a bigger guy.  Tyron is small welterweight.  
Par for the course for Woodley these days. Guy did absolutely zero in 3 of his 5 title fights. Literally nothing in 15 rounds of fights. Fortunately, Usman didn't sit back and do nothing in return like Wonderbread did for 10 rounds.

Far and away the most boring title reign in UFC history IMO. Don't care about seeing highlight KOs, etc.....just actually work. Couldn't agree more with the comment above that UFC couldn't strap that belt on Usman quick enough.I certainly can't recall a challenger dominating a champion for 5 straight rounds so decisively.

Michael Carroll‏ @MJCflipdascript

OFFICIAL: In terms of total strikes, Usman's (336) strike differential of +276 over Woodley (60) is the largest in UFC title fight history
I know I don't recall a more 1 sided win by a challenger for 5 straight rounds. Rogan was shocked how 1 sided it was. Usman destroyed him standing and wrestling. I laughed when Woodley brought up a rematch. Things we'll never see for $500, Alex. I'd give someone KO'd in 10 seconds a rematch before a guy that got worked for 5 rounds, did nothing in the 5 rounds, and did nothing in 10 rounds of 2 of his other 4 title fights.

Now I'm sure we'll hear how the UFC/fans are against him again. :lol:  No man, your title fights have been some of the worst in UFC history and don't want to see you ever headlining cards. Frankly, I'd be fine with him retiring and doing whatever studio stuff he does.

I don't hate the wrestling in mma, but agree it's not the most exciting.  Fortunately, the welterweights have 4 really good ones at the top, so there shouldn't be an elite wrestler defending the belt by laying on strikers for 2-3 years.  

If they open up a 165 you could potentially get Khabib / Askren.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at Askrens record on wiki, I completely missed the fact that he fought Aoki in ONE in late 2017.  I love watching Aoki get clobbered so imma need to dig that video up. 

Edit, well that was anticlimactic 

https://youtu.be/I52Ku7m0EUc

I dont find Woodley the most entertaining champ in recent memory, but you can't front on his resume. 

Like him or not...unless you're always opposed to champs getting the first rematch, TW deserves one. 

I dont find Woodley the most entertaining champ in recent memory, but you can't front on his resume. 

Like him or not...unless you're always opposed to champs getting the first rematch, TW deserves one. 
He's had a good overall career. I don't think anyone is saying he's not had that.

Still doesn't change my thought that he's had one of the most boring title reign in UFC history.  His fights with Thompson were 2 of the worst championship fights IMO in the history of the company. THAT's part of his resume too, and more directly his recent AND championship resume. Combined with getting annihilated by Usman is why he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting a rematch unless there's multiple injuries IMO. As is Nick Diaz probably has a better shot of seeing a 170 title fight than TW. Or even better, there's more likely to be the 165 division that Dana continually shoots down than seeing a Usman/TW rematch. 

I'm not opposed to champs getting the first rematch whatsoever. If they showed deserving of one in the fight OR they are able to attract interest in rematch.....no problem whatsoever. TW is a resounding NO IMO on both fronts. TW just doesn't deserve one here....like whatsoever IMO  :shrug:  Dude got completely worked --  for 5 straight rounds. He wasn't knocked cold with a shot like Stipe/Aldo (who won't be getting rematches either because frankly fans don't give enough of a #### about them to pay to watch them over other possible that'll come about). This was a soul taking domination by Usman. If this fight was even remotely close, sure give him a rematch. It wasn't and was the most dominant 5 round performance by a challenger I can even recall. (The aforementioned Chael/Silva fight through 4 is the only thing that comes to mind).

TW doesn't draw money, he got completely outclassed by Usman......I legitimately don't know how anyone thinks he deserves a rematch here. Really truly don't how someone can think "Hey let's run that one back". Rogan was spot on in the broadcast. Anthony Smith was clearly outclassed but IMO it wound up paling in comparison to Usman's drubbing of Woodley. 

TW legacy will always be a whiny ##### that desperately wanted to be a money fighter. He thought it'd be a good idea at the same time where he wanted to be a money fighter to ##### and moan that the fans and UFC were against him with his "Woah is me" bull####.  :lmao:             But when the time came to show he was a money fighter had a completely forgettable title reign IMO :shrug:

In general, I don't care how exciting/dominant/long/whatever a champion's reign was, if you get dominated for 25 minutes, you don't merit an immediate rematch.

UFC 235 Salaries

Main card (Pay-per-view)
Jon Jones ($500,000 + no win bonus = $500,000) def. Anthony Smith ($350,000)
Kamaru Usman ($350,000 + no win bonus = $350,000) def. Tyron Woodley ($500,000)
Ben Askren ($200,000 + $150,000 = $350,000) def. Robbie Lawler ($200,000)
Weili Zhang ($18,000 + $18,000 = $36,000) def. Tecia Torres ($36,000)
Pedro Munhoz ($48,000 + $48,000 = $96,000) def. Cody Garbrandt ($130,000)

Preliminary card (ESPN) 
Zabit Magomedsharipov ($55,000 + $55,000 = $110,000) def. Jeremy Stephens ($67,000)
Johnny Walker ($45,000 + $45,000 = $90,000) def. Misha Cirkunov ($63,000)
Cody Stamann ($33,000 + $33,000 = $66,000) def. Alejandro Perez ($42,000)
Diego Sanchez ($99,000 + $99,000 = $198,000) def. Mickey Gall ($30,000)

Preliminary card (UFC Fight Pass)
Edmen Shahbazyan ($13,000 + $13,000 = $26,000) def. Charles Byrd ($12,000)
Macy Chiasson ($25,000 + $25,000 = $50,000) def. Gina Mazany ($14,000)
Hannah Cifers ($12,000 + $12,000 = $24,000) def. Polyana Viana ($12,000)

McGreggor arrested in Miami:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2825102-ufc-star-conor-mcgregor-arrested-after-smashing-fans-phone-mugshot-released

story sounds really fishy though. so he slapped a dude's phone out of his hand and stomped him, and the police opt to arrest him for that? Is that normal? In Miami it seems to be "charges of felony strong-armed robbery and misdemeanor criminal mischief". Seems awfully shady charges...
I am not a lawyer and my entire law education comes from Judge Judy but taking the phone was a mistake.  Had he just slapped it away and broke it, I think all the other guy could do was go to small claims court to get it paid for. 

Actually taking the phone probably does fit the definition of robbery even though I think we all know there were likely extenuating circumstances.

McGreggor arrested in Miami:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2825102-ufc-star-conor-mcgregor-arrested-after-smashing-fans-phone-mugshot-released

story sounds really fishy though. so he slapped a dude's phone out of his hand and stomped him, and the police opt to arrest him for that? Is that normal? In Miami it seems to be "charges of felony strong-armed robbery and misdemeanor criminal mischief". Seems awfully shady charges...
My phone cost me $1,500. If Conor McGregor took it from me, prob not much I’d be able to do about it.

I think this meets the definition of “strong-armed robbery” to a tee. 

Is this UFC London card on tape delay in the US or something? Not that it's a big card or anything, but Till/Masvidal looked awesome on paper and I loooooooooooooooooooooooooved it. :lmao: :lmao:   :lmao: I know it's easy for me to stroll in here now and say "I knew it", but I was hella pulling for Masvidal and believed in his skills. Dude's always been a super tough out against anyone. I'd translated the Inside the Octagon preview of the main event for work earlier this week too, and Hardy and Gooden did an excellent job of selling it, so I was hyped.

Till is super earnest and charismatic in his interviews and all, but y'know, Bolsonaro supporter and ####, so screw him.  :hophead:

I love Masvidal, he is one of the most well rounded & underrated fighters in the division.  His losses to Thompson & Maia were both decisions.  I think we hear about Till moving up after this fight.  I think it's still a difficult cut for him.  Masvidal should fight Askren or Woodley next imo.

And Masvidal threw down with Edwards backstage:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Masvidal gotta be near the top of the list of people to never try like that. Amazing.
That was awesome.  He was giving an interview, Edwards was obviously trying to get his attention, Massvidal stepped up and gave it to him right there.  What did he think was going to happen?  Huge + for Massvidal imo.  Edwards got punked, ended up with a bloody face.  And they both made money off this if it turns into an actual UFC bout. Already promoting.

I know it's easy for me to stroll in here now and say "I knew it", but I was hella pulling for Masvidal and believed in his skills. Dude's always been a super tough out against anyone.
Just caught the end of this card now. All this.  

I've been a Masvidal honk for a long time now.  Love seeing him get a huge win like this.  

And Masvidal threw down with Edwards backstage:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Masvidal gotta be near the top of the list of people to never try like that. Amazing.

Lmao.  Jorge is not playing games here.

https://www.mmamania.com/2019/3/16/18269279/jorge-masvidal-on-leon-edwards-ufc-london-brawl-i-had-to-give-him-the-three-piece-and-soda

”I’m doing my interview and this hooligan comes by saying some stuff, like ‘July, get your ### kicked in July, July!’” Masvidal said. “I go ‘Maybe bro, whatever, because maybe I wanna kick your ### in April. Maybe I don’t wanna wait until July. Maybe I don’t want to fight you in a prize ring because you’re not worth the training camp, I’ll just fight you here because you’re a scrub.’ You know?”

”So I tell him to just say it to my face like a man,” he continued. “You’re saying it and walking away? We’re both men, and as I’m walking to him I got my hands behind my back to signal to him that I’m not looking for problems. But he put his hands up like this and he walks towards me. Well ... where I’m from if you do that you’re going to punch me in the face and that’s not going to happen.”

”You are what you are, you’re just a loser in life, man,” Masvidal finished. “You’re not going to get a hit off on me. So I had to give him the three piece with the soda and then just glide out of there, you know?

some future welterweight match making will be may depend on what happens between Wonderboy / Pettis this weekend.  I'm not sure why Pettis moved up, to fight a guy nobody looks good against?  

No discussion of UFC's deal with ESPN+?
I have to be honest, I don't think I understand how it effects fans in terms of the PPV's.   From just a quick read it appears to me that fans need to pay ESPN for the PPV's instead of paying someone else.  But that is the only difference I see (outside of obviously ESPN will produce all PPV's).

Am I reading this wrong?  It would be amazing if all ESPN+ subscribers had instant access to the PPV's but I am unsure it is working that way financially.

I have to be honest, I don't think I understand how it effects fans in terms of the PPV's.   From just a quick read it appears to me that fans need to pay ESPN for the PPV's instead of paying someone else.  But that is the only difference I see (outside of obviously ESPN will produce all PPV's).

Am I reading this wrong?  It would be amazing if all ESPN+ subscribers had instant access to the PPV's but I am unsure it is working that way financially.
Yeah, I assume it's basically like the NFL games being shown by different networks.  Makes little difference to the fans.  

No discussion of UFC's deal with ESPN+?
I don't think it changes anything so didn't see much to discuss. People that pay will still pay, the people that are streaming it from others sources will continue doing so unless there's a change to the PPV model.

ESPN is unquestionably doing better job of promoting but I think UFC fell in such a deep hole of not doing it for so long, I think a lot of casual and hardcore fans really stopped giving a ####  I think ESPN has done a great job of starting these things earlier and moving them along quicker. I'm an PST most of the year and I couldn't even imagine watching these things to the end on any other time zone previously.

UFC and WWE are doing the same exact thing. For better or worse, there's no focus on individuals. Focus is on the brand. Everyone is replaceable. The only ones making a name for themselves are the ones that take the initiative to make a name for themselves (i.e. Conor/Becky Lynch)

------------------------

Cerrone vs. Al Iaquinta appears to be signed. Leads to speculation Conor vs. Diaz 3 may be happening. I really didn't think we'd see Nate again til the 3rd Conor fight. He didn't/doesn't have anything to gain fighting anyone else. It's the fight that makes sense financially and the right fight for both fighters. Conor belongs nowhere near Khabib for his next fight. 

I like Al over Cowboy.  Al is going to out box him, and Cerrones jj isn't going to work like it did on Mike Perry.  Iaquinta is no joke on the ground.  To be able to survive & not look bad against Khabib showed a lot.  Kevin Lee is a really good wrestler as well, and Al neutralized him.

EYLive said:
Is FightPass still a thing?
UFC must have a plan for this but who knows.  The fight library is definitely still of major value, so I'm sure they will always have that.  The mystery lies in the live content.  Iirc, they not only have had preliminaries, but also only fight pass events.  I could still see the preliminaries being on there, but that's only going to attract the hardcore's.

Users who are viewing this thread