Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
AhrnCityPahnder

UFC wagering: in which bums get slapped up while grocery shopping

Haven't seen a slam KO like that in a while. Rose needed to let go of that arm to keep from getting spiked through the canvas.

5 hours ago, EYLive said:

Haven't seen a slam KO like that in a while. Rose needed to let go of that arm to keep from getting spiked through the canvas.

Besides that, the card lived up to the low expectations I had.  The ppv sales for this one may be worse than the last one, that they had the ESPN + problems with.  Silva & Aldo were the big names, but the guys they went up against weren't well known.  The past several ESPN + main events have been better than all the fights on the past 2 PPV (Stylebender / Gastelum was good).

BJ Penn is now 1-9-1 in the UFC since his win over Diego Sanchez in Dec2009.  He now holds the UFC record with 7 consecutive losses. 

Sucks to see Silva go out like this.  But, also sucked to have him take this fight at all.   

Over in Bellator, Douglas Lima gave MVP a ClevelandBusDriver ("you goin ta jail now!!") uppercut KO.   Good grief.   Go watch the highlight.  I've been a longtime conductor for the Lima hype train, but sure looks like hes gonna be facing Rory in the finals of this tourney.   :sadbanana:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Only caught the main card last night but between that and Belly, we had a decent night.

Life is really getting in the way of my combat sports viewing. IDK how I used to find the time.

6 hours ago, GOB said:

Only caught the main card last night but between that and Belly, we had a decent night.

Life is really getting in the way of my combat sports viewing. IDK how I used to find the time.

There used to be way less.

32 minutes ago, Clayton Gray said:

Neiman Gracie vs Douglas Lima in the finals.

What makes you think NG beats Rory?   I admittedly havent seen a lot of NG, but he's been rolling through a bunch no names and journeymen.   The disparity in talent between Ed Ruth and Rory is astronomical

I know you know all this already.  Just curious what you're seeing to make that bold call.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AhrnCityPahnder said:

What makes you think NG beats Rory?   I admittedly havent seen a lot of NG, but he's been rolling through a bunch no names and journeymen.   The disparity in talent between Ed Ruth and Rory is astronomical

I know you know all this already.  Just curious what you're seeing to make that bold call.

The MacDonald we remember from the UFC isn't the same guy we've seen lately. The UFC version wouldn't have needed two round to dispose of an elderly Jon Fitch.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

4 hours ago, Bobcat10 said:

Andrade tapped prior to the slam? Not sure if this Twitter crap is real. 

Link?

On 5/12/2019 at 6:01 PM, Clayton Gray said:

On my cards, MacDonald is on a three-fight losing streak.

MacDonald has not shown up mentally at all in his last two fights.

He's been effectively done since the Lawler rearranged his face.  Never bet on a guy that says he doesn't want to hurt anyone anymore.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2019 at 8:48 AM, Bobcat10 said:

I don't think she's tapping out but it does look like it.

https://twitter.com/thefightlibrary/status/1127662386997936129

Like Clayton said, there was nothing to tap to at that angle, but she did something weird and calculated.

Sure would have felt like a tap to Rose, which may have been why she didn't let go of the move.  I missed it completely when watching live.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hooter311 said:

Like Clayton said, there was nothing to tap to at that angle, but she did something weird and calculated.

Sure would have felt like a tap to Rose, which may have been why she didn't let go of the move.  I missed it completely when watching live.

Nice thought..

Woodley out of Lawler fight.

BREAKING: Tyron Woodley has been forced to withdraw from his June 29 bout against Robbie Lawler due to injury, per sources. UFC looking for a replacement to keep Lawler on the card in Minneapolis.

In a perfect world, Nick Diaz would be ready to step in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clayton Gray said:

Wonder what the injury is. My guess is he dropped out to resume his rap career

ETA: hand injury. that was why I was wondering cause the fight is still a month and a half away (I believe). Shame because this fight would have put Robbie back in title contention.

complete side note, but I remember people in awe of Hendo and some others fighting so late in their careers, but Lawlor is the one that has always impressed me. Dude seems to just have been around forever. He even beats out Diego Sanchez and Clay Guida in just quick glance off the top of my head

Edited by modogg

31 minutes ago, Clayton Gray said:

Nick Diaz is like 240 pounds and needs a new liver at this point :sadbanana: 

1 hour ago, AhrnCityPahnder said:

Nick Diaz is like 240 pounds and needs a new liver at this point :sadbanana: 

So you're saying this world is not perfect?

21 minutes ago, Clayton Gray said:

So you're saying this world is not perfect?

its still real to me, dammit

• Like 1

Darren Till tweeted that he'd take the Lawler fight at 175#

5 minutes ago, AhrnCityPahnder said:

Darren Till tweeted that he'd take the Lawler fight at 175#

Could be a short career for Darren Till.

Kevin Lee goes into another fight as a betting favorite and loses.  He could be the most overrated guy in the UFC.  He looks great 2 rounds, but he doesn't have a gas tank.  A well rounded vet like RDA knew it was only a matter of time.  This is another example of how the UFC doesn't make stars the fighters do.  They really wanted "Mo Town Phenom" to be good.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

Kevin Lee goes into another fight as a betting favorite and loses.  He could be the most overrated guy in the UFC.  He looks great 2 rounds, but he doesn't have a gas tank.  A well rounded vet like RDA knew it was only a matter of time.  This is another example of how the UFC doesn't make stars the fighters do.  They really wanted "Mo Town Phenom" to be good.  

He has no excuses now that he's fighting at 170.

2 hours ago, Clayton Gray said:

Elias Theodorou released by the UFC. I've never enjoyed a single one of his fights.

Very "good release" by UFC. Read the news and immediately thought "They got this one right". 

Up and coming "point fighters" aren't going to make it far. Definitely would be in my handful of all-time most boring UFC fighters. I'm sure he can find a home elsewhere but there's no money in him in the cage. Probably better long term future being the "cagecard boy" in whatever women's MMA promotion he's associated with.

Looking at his UFC tenure I'm surprised he made it to 11 fights. I can't remember a single thing of substance he did during any of those fights. Pretty damn hard to do when you've had that many fights.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

In case some have never seen it or have not seen it in a long time, UFC has posted the entire UFC 1 event on their youtube channel for free 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6N1axku8QA

I remember renting those videos at blockbuster.  I would look at the pictures on the back of the VHS and determine which one looked the coolest.

• Like 1

can any explain to me why the Yoel Romero case was considered consumer fraud?  That part of it tripled the damages to over $27 million.

I know the testing company made a mistake but for it to be fraud, did they have to knowingly make the mistake?

6 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

can any explain to me why the Yoel Romero case was considered consumer fraud?  That part of it tripled the damages to over $27 million.

He's never stepping foot on Cuban soil again.  They would take all his 💰

Edited by Punxsutawney Phil

29 minutes ago, Punxsutawney Phil said:

He's never stepping foot on Cuban soil again.  They would take all his 💰

from what I have read, he is likely to not get the full amount (even after the lawyers cut).  I guess the company he sued is small enough that there is a chance they may go bankrupt due to this.

On 5/26/2019 at 10:20 PM, Clayton Gray said:

Elias Theodorou released by the UFC. I've never enjoyed a single one of his fights.

hmm, i liked the guy. what was it one fight losing streak too? Maybe that was why he got canned though if a lot of people didn't like him. I could name 10-15 off the top of my head which are much worse performance wise than he has been

10 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

from what I have read, he is likely to not get the full amount (even after the lawyers cut).  I guess the company he sued is small enough that there is a chance they may go bankrupt due to this.

Yup, i was listening to Jack Slack's podcast and he basically said the same thing. Said the company's only choice is to probably go bankrupt and Romero will likely only get 5-6 million out of it. Still though, not to shabby at all

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, modogg said:

Yup, i was listening to Jack Slack's podcast and he basically said the same thing. Said the company's only choice is to probably go bankrupt and Romero will likely only get 5-6 million out of it. Still though, not to shabby at all

did he mention why is was consider consumer fraud?   What benefit to the company was it to make the mistake?

On 5/26/2019 at 10:54 PM, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Very "good release" by UFC. Read the news and immediately thought "They got this one right". 

Up and coming "point fighters" aren't going to make it far. Definitely would be in my handful of all-time most boring UFC fighters. I'm sure he can find a home elsewhere but there's no money in him in the cage. Probably better long term future being the "cagecard boy" in whatever women's MMA promotion he's associated with.

Looking at his UFC tenure I'm surprised he made it to 11 fights. I can't remember a single thing of substance he did during any of those fights. Pretty damn hard to do when you've had that many fights.

hmm, i would have to go back and watch. Maybe i am just remembering his fights wrong or thinking of someone else. I though he had some good wars in there. I know people hated him because he talked about being a model and was kind of arrogant about it.

although i did just try to look up Theoudruea highlights on youtube and not a whole lot popped up

ETA: checking out his fights, i think i am remembering early career Elias, and not when he stepped up in competition

Edited by modogg
  • Like 1

So i know everybody has their various opinions on Dana as a promoter, but i think no matter what there are some things that will be missed when he is no longer the promoter. I do like his periodic cursing out of fans:

https://www.mmamania.com/2019/5/30/18646105/heres-dana-whites-advice-ufc-fans-unhappy-with-sacramento-main-event-stay-home-mma

"Stay home, F**k face" is pretty good

Edited by modogg

3 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

did he mention why is was consider consumer fraud?   What benefit to the company was it to make the mistake?

i don't think he went into too many details about the actual product or anything. I am sure someone will write more about it, likely on mmajunkie 

Wow - no mention of Gustafsson retiring. He was no Theodorou, but I won't miss Gustafsson. I always thought he was overrated based on not getting finished in his first Jon Jones fight. Nothing more than a gatekeeper.

What a freefall for Jimi Manuwa. Dude looked dead for a bit. Yikes. Rakic will get a big step up in competition next.

The rest of the main card was a snoozer.

Tonya Evinger epitomizes the old guard of women's MMA. Toughness and mediocre technique used to be enough, but it's not anymore. Just like Dan Severn and Tank Abbott, sloppy-bodied fighters like Evinger need to hang it up. Their time has passed.

Santos and Camacho looked pretty good.

Too bad Cowboy vs Tony Ferguson isn't 5 rounds.  Looks like the best matchup on the card to me.  I give the edge to Tony of he can pressure Cowboy the way Nate Diaz did.  He has the reach where he shouldn't get shut down like Iaquinta did.