What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (9 Viewers)

In about a combined 45 seconds, the UFC lost two of its up and coming young fighters they were hoping would take the next step tonight in beating a name fighter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we stop calling Herb Dean "One of the Best"?

Just on tonight's card, Beltran and Herzog are light years ahead of Dean.

Do I have a reason to be upset?

First of all, I'm small potatoes in the Twitter world, I literally have 100 followers....

Saturday night during the Hall/Elkins fight I tweeted:

"This is like fighting your little brother at street fighter and he's spamming the only 2 combos he knows with M. Bison."

This morning, this article is posted and contains the following quote:

https://www.mmamania.com/2019/7/14/20694256/ryan-hall-hopes-all-that-spinning-s-t-at-ufc-sacramento-finally-earns-his-striking-some-respect

"Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace Ryan Hall fought on the “Prelims” undercard portion of UFC Fight Night 155 last night (Sat., July 13, 2019), and he basically scrapped like your little brother spamming the same two special attacks in Street Fighter 2. His weapons of choice against Darren Elkins? Spinning kicks and Imanari rolls."

Coincidence?

Do I have a reason to be upset?

First of all, I'm small potatoes in the Twitter world, I literally have 100 followers....

Saturday night during the Hall/Elkins fight I tweeted:

"This is like fighting your little brother at street fighter and he's spamming the only 2 combos he knows with M. Bison."

This morning, this article is posted and contains the following quote:

https://www.mmamania.com/2019/7/14/20694256/ryan-hall-hopes-all-that-spinning-s-t-at-ufc-sacramento-finally-earns-his-striking-some-respect

"Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace Ryan Hall fought on the “Prelims” undercard portion of UFC Fight Night 155 last night (Sat., July 13, 2019), and he basically scrapped like your little brother spamming the same two special attacks in Street Fighter 2. His weapons of choice against Darren Elkins? Spinning kicks and Imanari rolls."

Coincidence?
Congrats man, so cool that Kenny Florian follows you on Twitter.

I usually watch all the Embedded series prior to an event, but skipped all of it this week. I got the prelims on in the background, really only looking forward to the last 2 fights.

I don't get the UFC's strategy with their events.  Saturdays ESPN + card looked better on paper than this week's PPV.  I like Edgar & Holloway, but last time Holloway fought Gastelum & Adesanaye was the co-main.  Who is gonna pay $60 for this?  If the Jon Jones / Masvidal card was $60 this should be $10.
Did anyone actually or even watch this? I had no clue Holloway was even fighting.

Ufc has a major star problem. Didn't help this ppv card being headlined by 2 fighters in Holloway and cyborg whose values took a tumble in their last fights. And literally there was nothing else on the card. I certainly only knew maybe a couple of the other fighters on the card

Did anyone actually or even watch this? I had no clue Holloway was even fighting.

Ufc has a major star problem. Didn't help this ppv card being headlined by 2 fighters in Holloway and cyborg whose values took a tumble in their last fights. And literally there was nothing else on the card. I certainly only knew maybe a couple of the other fighters on the card
I usually torrent every ppv I don't watch live (most of them), didn't even bother when I heard it was a decision.

I watched the main card last night.   But "watching" is not like I used to do.  "Watching" now means I am usually playing a game at the same time or surfing.  I don't know why it does not hold my attention but I know so few of the fighters now. 

I was impressed by Geoff Neal.   He was one of the few that stood out to me.

I was looking at the fight card for Covington vs Lawler and the co main event is Clay Guida vs Jim Miller...............  That is the type of fight that should cap off a preliminary card, not be the co main event of the Main Card IMO.    The UFC has so many events they simply don't have enough fighters that even old hard core fans like me care about.

Yep. They're losing interest from casuals and hard core fans. This ownership group overpaid for the UFC now they need to make their money back with more events, and they're all going to be watered down.

DraftKings makes these events much better for me, although I’ve been doing a lot donating lately. Doesn’t help when I don’t know many of the fighters like last night and don’t do much research on them.

I was looking forward to seeing Dawodu, Figueiredo/Pantoja, and Neal/Price outside of the last 2 matches. The rest of the scraps were good for a fight pass card. AOM should have led off the ppv, that Jotko match had no business there (but they like to feature Canadians on Canada cards). 

I’d like to see Spencer next time around against a little lessor of an opponent. That was too big a leap for her (though I understand it) and she clearly has room to improve, but she sure can scrap and take shots. 

They still only have like 5 girls at 145 if you include Holm. And Nunez probably wouldn't stick around if she weren't champ.

I agree the new ownership 

Yep. They're losing interest from casuals and hard core fans. This ownership group overpaid for the UFC now they need to make their money back with more events, and they're all going to be watered down.
I think they overpaid, but don't you think ESPN took some of that sting off?  Now the UFC is business partners with the #1 sports station.  MMA was already growing at a fast pace so I'm sure it will continue with ESPN backing.  The problem with everything has been Conor. He skewed everything so much that there was really no way to get accurate metrics.

I agree the new ownership 

I think they overpaid, but don't you think ESPN took some of that sting off?  Now the UFC is business partners with the #1 sports station.  MMA was already growing at a fast pace so I'm sure it will continue with ESPN backing.  The problem with everything has been Conor. He skewed everything so much that there was really no way to get accurate metrics.
And despite fighting once in almost 3 years now in the UFC, he's still far and away their biggest and only IMO top level draw.

It would be almost unthinkable for someone besides Conor garner 1 million PPV buys today. Best shot of it is probably if some high level celebrity(ies) had a fight.

I think ESPN is doing promotions to give discounts on these PPVs that'll spike the #s but I can only think something like the WWE Network will be installed sometime in the not so distant future. Forget paying $60, I don't know that I'd have paid $20 for this past weekend's card. And Holloway & Cyborg are hardly schmucks. Is there even a "bigger women's draw" than Cyborg right now? (despite losing to Nunes) UFC simply have no drawing stars outside of Conor.

And despite fighting once in almost 3 years now in the UFC, he's still far and away their biggest and only IMO top level draw.

It would be almost unthinkable for someone besides Conor garner 1 million PPV buys today. Best shot of it is probably if some high level celebrity(ies) had a fight.

I think ESPN is doing promotions to give discounts on these PPVs that'll spike the #s but I can only think something like the WWE Network will be installed sometime in the not so distant future. Forget paying $60, I don't know that I'd have paid $20 for this past weekend's card. And Holloway & Cyborg are hardly schmucks. Is there even a "bigger women's draw" than Cyborg right now? (despite losing to Nunes) UFC simply have no drawing stars outside of Conor.
They would have plenty of buys if they would fill the PPV cards with guys like:

Poirier, Holloway, Gaethje, Diaz (both), Lawler, Masvidal, Garbrandt, Khabib, Jon Jones, Stipe, Fergusen, and I'm sure there's a plenty I'm missing.

You start putting on PPV fights with dudes like these, they will have no problem getting people to buy in.

Maybe they should make the PPV cards for the stars/champs, and make the fight nights for the up and comers. But it's really getting ridiculous when I've been a fan of this sport for 15 years and can't recognize half the names on a PPV card.

Maybe they should make the PPV cards for the stars/champs, and make the fight nights for the up and comers. But it's really getting ridiculous when I've been a fan of this sport for 15 years and can't recognize half the names on a PPV card.
It is even more painful for guys like us when we try and research a fighter we don't know and the guy or girl is so unknown there is not even a wiki page to read about.

I wonder how they decide who goes on ppv and who goes on ESPN.  One thing I know is Dana said he wants the ppvs to have a title match.  I'm sure it all has to do with money like everything else.  They probably have Max ppv money so they made it a crap card.  The fighters that have contracts that don't get ppv money they load the cards with.  

Watched Eddie Alvarez on YouTube earlier. Sorry didn't have link at moment.

Eddie Alvarez dropped by a leg kick, Asian dude goes for the ground and pound, Eddie flips him, and chokes him out.  Worth a watch.   Leg kick looked brutal.

Imo, the best thing that can can happen for the UFC match makers is a Lawler win.  Then you could have Woodley / Colby, which is a bigger draw than CC / Usman.  Lawler / woodley 2 is another possibility.  If Nick Diaz ever comes back there is an instant main event waiting vs Lawler or Masvidal.  Usman /Masvidal is probably the fight to make, but Usman probably dodges him for the easy Woodley rematch then waits until fall 2020 to defend.

Random thoughts... they are selling the Aug. 17th ppv with Diaz / Petis more than Micocic / Cormier.  The heavyweights SHOULD be the draw, but I bet more people are interested in the Diaz/ Pettis.  Similarly to the fan votes of Masvidal/ Askren being more anticipated than the Jon Jones headliner.

Imo, the best thing that can can happen for the UFC match makers is a Lawler win.  Then you could have Woodley / Colby, which is a bigger draw than CC / Usman.  Lawler / woodley 2 is another possibility.  If Nick Diaz ever comes back there is an instant main event waiting vs Lawler or Masvidal.  Usman /Masvidal is probably the fight to make, but Usman probably dodges him for the easy Woodley rematch then waits until fall 2020 to defend.

Random thoughts... they are selling the Aug. 17th ppv with Diaz / Petis more than Micocic / Cormier.  The heavyweights SHOULD be the draw, but I bet more people are interested in the Diaz/ Pettis.  Similarly to the fan votes of Masvidal/ Askren being more anticipated than the Jon Jones headliner.
I'd be SHOCKED if Woodley gets a rematch. He got worked like a mule. Plus he has pretty much given Dana the finger. 

Assuming Colby wins today, he is EASILY the most deserved guy. But Masvidal might jump the line off his KO of Askren, but whatever.

man, i am going to be laying a lot of money on Miocic in that fight against DC. he didn't look like he even trained for it. i can't imagine he comes back and looks that horrible again. i would never imagine Miocic to be the kind of guy to overlook someone, but considering that was DC coming from 205 i guess i can see it

man, i am going to be laying a lot of money on Miocic in that fight against DC. he didn't look like he even trained for it. i can't imagine he comes back and looks that horrible again. i would never imagine Miocic to be the kind of guy to overlook someone, but considering that was DC coming from 205 i guess i can see it
I like Micocic in the rematch as well.  He will be more cautious next time, and the reach advantage nshould come into play.

i like Herb giving Guida some time to get out of that, but he did look out for a bit. Of course they are ripping into Herb, but Miller wasn't letting go for much either

i like Herb giving Guida some time to get out of that, but he did look out for a bit. Of course they are ripping into Herb, but Miller wasn't letting go for much either
Reminded me of a WWF match when the ref lifts the arm after a sleeper, waits a few seconds lofts it again...  Waits for Hulkamania energy from the crowd to revitalize 

These two pre-Connor vets are class acts.  Most guys were back then, besides the Diaz bros & Tito.  Then the UFC saw Conor, and decided to advise all the up & coming talent to develop wwe style schtick.  And thus we have Colby Covington & Mike Perry.  

Users who are viewing this thread