What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (4 Viewers)

NewlyRetired said:
I have to be honest, I don't think I understand how it effects fans in terms of the PPV's.   From just a quick read it appears to me that fans need to pay ESPN for the PPV's instead of paying someone else.  But that is the only difference I see (outside of obviously ESPN will produce all PPV's).

Am I reading this wrong?  It would be amazing if all ESPN+ subscribers had instant access to the PPV's but I am unsure it is working that way financially.
I assumed he was talking about ESPN putting the Fight Nights behind the + paywall but I could be wrong.

not sure how I feel about the ESPN+ thing. feels like another way the UFC is managing to screw over a segment of their fan base. I understand that streaming is all the rage, but you need to give people options. the younger folks are all about streaming, but the older folks still have most of the money. taking PPVs completely off of cable eliminates people who don't want to bother to stream, who don't have internet, etc. if somebody wants to have a fight party and show the PPV on 4 different TVs in the house with cable boxes, now they need to find streaming solutions for each room. and forcing people to have another subscription to manage, a lot of people might be out on that. another poorly thought out decision by Dana & Co.

huh, I guess do know how I feel about it.

Obviously I was wrong. I just said there’s no way that Pettis even seems like he can hurt Thompson. Then it was over. 

not sure how I feel about the ESPN+ thing. feels like another way the UFC is managing to screw over a segment of their fan base. I understand that streaming is all the rage, but you need to give people options. the younger folks are all about streaming, but the older folks still have most of the money. taking PPVs completely off of cable eliminates people who don't want to bother to stream, who don't have internet, etc. if somebody wants to have a fight party and show the PPV on 4 different TVs in the house with cable boxes, now they need to find streaming solutions for each room. and forcing people to have another subscription to manage, a lot of people might be out on that. another poorly thought out decision by Dana & Co.

huh, I guess do know how I feel about it.
Plus bars. I'm seeing this with soccer. Going to streaming or channels not on all services really hurts bar audiences. Which I think are more important than these corporations realize. 

It seems like not long ago Pettis was missing weight at 145 and now he's dropping guys at 170.  Both him and Thompson are such likeable guys, even after Thompson was out cold he woke up and had a smile on his face.

The Curtis Blades fight was boring.  

It seems like not long ago Pettis was missing weight at 145 and now he's dropping guys at 170.  Both him and Thompson are such likeable guys, even after Thompson was out cold he woke up and had a smile on his face.

The Curtis Blades fight was boring.  
Blades did we he had to do to win. Big pretty had no answer for the ground game. However, I would’ve liked to have seen blades at least attempt to end the fight with some sort of submission. 

Missed the card, but looking at some stats on the UFC app.  A couple decisions looked weird, at least why they were unanimous.  Thug was taken down 5 times, and striking looks close, yet won a UD?  Obviously more to a fight than that, so what happened?

The Maia UD is similar.  Pena too, but he had a decisive advantage with SS.  

I only watched the Mitchell/Moffett fight, but I thought all three rounds were easy to score. Moffett did get a lot of takedowns, but he didn't do much at all with them. There was very little ground-and-pound and only a couple of submission attempts.

Mitchell got a knockdown in Round 1 and threatened with a triangle/armbar sequence. He easily won that stanza. Lots of grappling exchanges in Round 2 and Round 3. Moffett got the best of it in the second and had a very close D'Arce. The third was close, but Moffett didn't get much going while Mitchell was close with a rear naked choke.

I thought Moffett lost the fight by going for the third-round D'Arce. He wasn't doing much from half-mount, but he was winning. Going for the same submission that failed in Round 2 allowed Mitchell to scramble to Moffett's back and nearly get the stoppage. That exchange gave the fight to Mitchell.

Barboza/Gaethje violence week. Most exciting fight on paper for me in ages, and one of my dream match-ups since Gaethje was signed. I can't imagine it being anything other than fire for however long it lasts. Barboza's got some of the most vicious, wince-inducing offense in all MMA, and Gaethje is a machine.  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Barboza/Gaethje violence week. Most exciting fight on paper for me in ages, and one of my dream match-ups since Gaethje was signed. I can't imagine it being anything other than fire for however long it lasts. Barboza's got some of the most vicious, wince-inducing offense in all MMA, and Gaethje is a machine.  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Masvidal, Till, Thompson, Pettis all ESPN+ app.  Justin Gaethje, ESPN primetime for everyone to see.  "Fight like Justin Gaethje get paid"

Conor retiring  :coffee:  

It seems like there were negotiations going on for summer and they must not be anywhere close.  This is obviously all :bs: and we will eventually see him, and even Dana knows it.  His "I'd retire too if I was him" schtick is the perfect way to negotiate this imo. Conor will be back if he really is as passionate about fighting as he says.  

Alvarez got KTFO in his ONE debut. Never been a big fan of his but at least he got paid as his career winds down

Mighty 🐁 won in his ONE debut.

I've begun hating Conor MacGregor in the past few years, but the recent garbage he's engaging in makes me wish he'd get locked in a cage with Khabib and no ref.

F that overrated loser.

I've begun hating Conor MacGregor in the past few years, but the recent garbage he's engaging in makes me wish he'd get locked in a cage with Khabib and no ref.

F that overrated loser.

I hadn't paid much attention to that rape/sexual assault rumor -- I read all the details on it last night.  

Good grief.   Whoever is guilty there needs to rot in prison.  That def also applies to Conor,  if he is the one.   The evidence doesn't look too good for him.   But he's also a kajillionaire and a celebrity, so align your justiceboners accordingly.

I hadn't paid much attention to that rape/sexual assault rumor -- I read all the details on it last night.  

Good grief.   Whoever is guilty there needs to rot in prison.  That def also applies to Conor,  if he is the one.   The evidence doesn't look too good for him.   But he's also a kajillionaire and a celebrity, so align your justiceboners accordingly.
🔗 Do you have link?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/26/sports/conor-mcgregor-sexual-assault.html

There are other articles out there but this is probably as good a place to start as any. 
That's a good high level overview but there were some pretty gruesome medical details in the piece I read.  

trying to summarize what I read (keep in mind I went down a rabbit hole with this, and I'm not sure where fact ends and rumor starts here, so don't take any of this as fact -- just my interpretation of a mixed bag of sources) :

Police responded to a complaint, when they saw the victim they immediately took her to the hospital.   They took DNA evidence.   the process with Irish law around the accused is pretty different than in the US (and probably better).  They strive to not name names of people who are accused of something -- names can be shared with media once a (conviction is reached?  or a case goes to trial?  not sure here.).  So the Irish media has been generically referring to the suspect as something like "a prominent international Irish athlete" .  Here's a sample story from that Frame of reference.  The police took hotel security footage from where the attack was alleged to have occured, and specifically took video surveillance evidence from / surrounding CM's room.    CM supposedly admitted that he did have sex with the victim, on the night this alleged crime happened, but that the sex was consensual.   

Then there's a giant post on Sherdog written by someone who claims to run in the same larger social circles in Dublin as CM.    It doesn't seem out of place with the douchey behavior we've seen from CM, but I have no way of knowing if it's 100% true, a complete lie and a troll/hit piece by someone who hates him, or somewhere in between.  But if even half of it is true, man.    Take everything you think about CM being an ### and multiply it x 10.  

Read for yourself, it's the first post in this thread (it's long!)  and come to your own conclusions about how true and horrible, or how made up and libelous it all is.   

@Punxsutawney Phil , tagging you since you asked for links.    There may be others I read last night too, but I don't have time to deep dive again at the moment.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Always found Conor's shtick super obnoxious, regardless of its "effectiveness", so the latest Khabib crap is par for the course, but the sexual assault allegations are something else entirely. Brutal, and I hope the guilty parties get every bit of what's coming to them.

From a gambling perspective - I pray Conor somehow talks his way into a rematch.  His trash bag mouth will talk the public (again) into thinking he has a chance (see: Mayweather, Khabib 1) and we will see something like -400 or better.  At which point you sell everything you own and bet Khabib for the easier ROI ever.  

Users who are viewing this thread