What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LOL at BoSox..... (1 Viewer)

I believe this has someting to do with the fact that the Sox could not move Ramirez AND the fact that Sox faithful almost unanimously hate this move.

Drew is the type of player you root against, not for.

I believe this has someting to do with the fact that the Sox could not move Ramirez AND the fact that Sox faithful almost unanimously hate this move.

Wrong and wrong.
:thumbup: Prove it. The Sox are looking for a way out. It's an awful signing.
Negative. If you have a theory that the Sox are manipulating the results of a physical to get out of a deal that they agreed to less than a week ago, then you prove it.

Wrong and wrong.
:thumbup: Prove it. The Sox are looking for a way out. It's an awful signing.
Negative. If you have a theory that the Sox are manipulating the results of a physical to get out of a deal that they agreed to less than a week ago, then you prove it.
Ummm, they are getting ripped in the press AND they haven't announced the signing yet. I guess $214million+ in an offseason doesn't buy what it used to. ;) Oh and how does your SnakeEyes alias feel about this?

From what I read they are just trying to add clauses into the contract that would protect the Sox long term. Drew will be in right and Manny patrolling the monster!

Wrong and wrong.
:cry: Prove it. The Sox are looking for a way out. It's an awful signing.
Ummm, they are getting ripped in the press AND they haven't announced the signing yet. I guess $214million+ in an offseason doesn't buy what it used to. :cry: Oh and how does your SnakeEyes alias feel about this?
I feel like I'm talking to a drunk person. Did you not read the article? Maz said that they're not announcing the signing because of the failed physical. You're claiming that the failed physical has nothing to do with the lack of an announcment of the signing - and as evidence you're using the fact that the signing has not been announced? :ptts: It's true that fans don't like the Drew signing. It's still a pretty huge leap to say that they're backing away from signing a guy that they think is worth $70 million because they're getting "killed" in the media.

I hope we can get out of this signing, not a big Drew fan here.
:ptts:
:cry:Screw Drew. Let the WMP Era commence.
I knew you'd come around :cry: As a Yankees fan, nothing excites me more than seeing Boston saddled with Lugo and Drew for the next 4-6 years. I think Boston will use this as a way to lessen the blow, if not entirely eliminate this problem. It's fun seeing you guys go through the chaotic offseason for a change.

Wrong and wrong.
:ptts: Prove it. The Sox are looking for a way out. It's an awful signing.
Ummm, they are getting ripped in the press AND they haven't announced the signing yet. I guess $214million+ in an offseason doesn't buy what it used to. :cry: Oh and how does your SnakeEyes alias feel about this?
Ummmm....the day JD Drew opted out of the Dodgers contract, the rumors of him going to Boston came up. Red Sox fans unilaterally voiced displeasure with the deal. The deal still got done weeks later. And you are saying NOW they are trying to get out of it? I'm sorry, that makes no sense.

This ownership group isn't about to let the fans determine what moves the team makes. Johnny Damon was extremely popular among the fanbase.....and ownership essentially let him go. Pedro was popular to a large segment of the population and the Sox let him go. The team traded Nomar Garciaparra.

I know you are a Yankee fan and you love to kill the Red Sox whenever you can. But you don't have facts correct in this case.

Bill Simmons had some interesting things to say about the Drew signing:

Q: I just wanted to congratulate you on your team becoming the new Mets. You know, the team that overspends on guys who sound good on paper, but who will totally flop under the pressure of their ridiculous contracts and the city's overbearing media. I'm sure Drew and Lugo will be very happy on their new teams in a year or two when the Sox have to dump their stupid contracts for 30 cents on the dollar.

--Ben Teaford. Rocky Hill, Conn.

SG: (Punching myself in the face.)

Q: As a Dodgers fan, I was upset when I heard Drew opted out. Then I remembered how much money he was giving up and thought he was crazy -- after all, no one would pay $11 million a year for a corner outfielder who hits .280 with 20 HRs and looks like he doesn't care. Not once in his Dodger tenure do I remember going, "Wow. J.D. Drew really came up big for us last night." Good riddance.

--Josh, Santa Barbara, Calif.

SG: (Slamming my hand in a door.)

Q: The day Drew opted out of his Dodger contract was like the feeling I had on Christmas morning when I was 7 and got my first pair of skates … an utterly joyous occasion. This man has no passion or love for the game of baseball and plays the game accordingly. It is fitting that he will be playing for Boston fans who will hate this guy with a passion by the second spring training game. As a fan of the game, I am sad that any other fans have to watch this guy -- except maybe Yankee fans; I was hoping Steinbrenner would overpay him. Good luck, this is your worst nightmare!

--Tom Rowe, Long Beach, Calif.

SG: (Repeatedly ramming my body into my Christmas tree.)

Q: Just a stellar quote from Epstein about the J.D. Drew signing: "Virtually every player is a collection of strengths and weaknesses." Equivalent to when your buddy has a new girlfriend, and you know she's nuts, and he knows she's nuts, and she does something crazy like ask him for his e-mail password "just to prove that he trusts her," and the buddy tries to laugh it off by saying "but all women are a little crazy, you know, right?" It's never a good sign when the fans of the team that a player left are happier than the fans of the team that that player signed with.

--Sam, Los Angeles

SG: (Ramming a candy cane into my eye.)

Q: I am a lifelong Dodgers fan and having one of the greatest laughs of my life watching the Red Sox sign J.D. Drew. I couldn't believe the Dodgers gave that bum $11 million a year to play sucky, injury-plagued, emotionless baseball. I was even more stunned when he OPTED OUT of that goldmine contract, although very happy because he was a joke. So, you can only imagine once I heard that he was getting $14 million a year from another team, I laughed my ### off! What was your thought process during this whole scenario?

--David S., Toledo, Ohio

SG: Thanks for asking. I haven't been this horrified by a big move from a Boston team since the Celtics traded for Vin Baker four summers ago. The Sox just signed someone who, by all accounts, plays without any semblance of passion or intensity. He's the exact type of player that Boston fans have always hated. We have a century-long track record of proving this point. That's the part I don't get. It's not like Theo is from France -- he's from freaking Brookline. He should have known. Arrrrrrrrrgh. One last e-mail about Drew

:goodposting:
:goodposting:Screw Drew. Let the WMP Era commence.
I knew you'd come around :thumbup: As a Yankees fan, nothing excites me more than seeing Boston saddled with Lugo and Drew for the next 4-6 years. I think Boston will use this as a way to lessen the blow, if not entirely eliminate this problem. It's fun seeing you guys go through the chaotic offseason for a change.
Julio Lugo at 9 million a year, in this market is just about right. They won't be regretting that contract.JD Drew, at 15 million, is also a market deal. Now, if he can't stay healthy, then of course it is a bad deal. This problem with the shoulder may be a huge blessing. Language inserted in the contract will protect them from any future shoulder injuries.Glad they didnt trade Manny!

I know you are a Yankee fan and you love to kill the Red Sox whenever you can. But you don't have facts correct in this case.
I love to kill the Sox because their fans are so GD awful. I might not have facts, but I have a pretty air-tight theory. They got into negotiations with Drew because they thought they could move Manny. Anyway you attempt to paint it, it's an awful signing, and I don't need a Harvard degree to tell me that. :goodposting:

I knew you'd come around :thumbup: As a Yankees fan, nothing excites me more than seeing Boston saddled with Lugo and Drew for the next 4-6 years. I think Boston will use this as a way to lessen the blow, if not entirely eliminate this problem. It's fun seeing you guys go through the chaotic offseason for a change.
Julio Lugo at 9 million a year, in this market is just about right. They won't be regretting that contract.JD Drew, at 15 million, is also a market deal. Now, if he can't stay healthy, then of course it is a bad deal. This problem with the shoulder may be a huge blessing. Language inserted in the contract will protect them from any future shoulder injuries.Glad they didnt trade Manny!
Is Lugo's bat worth that much more to the Sox than Alex Gonzalez's Glove?

I love to kill the Sox because their fans are so GD awful. I might not have facts, but I have a pretty air-tight theory. They got into negotiations with Drew because they thought they could move Manny. Anyway you attempt to paint it, it's an awful signing, and I don't need a Harvard degree to tell me that. :goodposting:
I don't like the signing, but to suggest the Red Sox are scrambling to get out of that deal because of the reaction of the fanbase is just plain wrong. The Drew signing has NOTHING to do with Manny. I think all along they knew the Manny trade option was 50/50 at best. They have tried moving him each of the last few offseasons to no luck. So, what makes you sure they were going to move him this year? The Red Sox AND Yankees have both had some dreadful signings in the past (Pavano, Clement, Kevin Brown, Renteria, etc.) Yes, all Red Sox fans are "GD awful". :goodposting: Apparently, you are clueless if you don't think there are moronic fans on both sides. I won't suggest what type of Yankee fan YOU are.

Is Lugo's bat worth that much more to the Sox than Alex Gonzalez's Glove?
Defensively they are a wash. A few systems (UZR for one) has Lugo as better than Gonzalez.The difference in batting is ridiculously huge. Alex Gonzalez had an OBP of 299 last year. Thats right, 299. He would need to have 12 foot long arms to make up for that with his defense.

From what I can tell, the Sox just want to get a little more language worked into the contract so that they can protect themselves a tad in case he does get a big injury down the line.

I really think this is much ado about nothing. Unless there is something seriously screwed up with the guy (which I highly doubt), the Sox are not opting out but it is smart to get anything extra they can in the contract.

No big deal, the damage is already done. I am not a fan of this signing but I will try to be somewhat optimistic that they can get a couple of decent years out of the guy.

I love to kill the Sox because their fans are so GD awful. I might not have facts, but I have a pretty air-tight theory. They got into negotiations with Drew because they thought they could move Manny. Anyway you attempt to paint it, it's an awful signing, and I don't need a Harvard degree to tell me that. :thumbup:
I don't like the signing, but to suggest the Red Sox are scrambling to get out of that deal because of the reaction of the fanbase is just plain wrong. The Drew signing has NOTHING to do with Manny. I think all along they knew the Manny trade option was 50/50 at best. They have tried moving him each of the last few offseasons to no luck. So, what makes you sure they were going to move him this year? The Red Sox AND Yankees have both had some dreadful signings in the past (Pavano, Clement, Kevin Brown, Renteria, etc.) Yes, all Red Sox fans are "GD awful". :goodposting: Apparently, you are clueless if you don't think there are moronic fans on both sides. I won't suggest what type of Yankee fan YOU are.
Oh lighten up, Francis. :goodposting:

From what I can tell, the Sox just want to get a little more language worked into the contract so that they can protect themselves a tad in case he does get a big injury down the line.I really think this is much ado about nothing. Unless there is something seriously screwed up with the guy (which I highly doubt), the Sox are not opting out but it is smart to get anything extra they can in the contract.No big deal, the damage is already done. I am not a fan of this signing but I will try to be somewhat optimistic that they can get a couple of decent years out of the guy.
If you add up the games he plays in the life of his contract, that may add up to a couple of decent years. :shrug:

I don't like the signing, but to suggest the Red Sox are scrambling to get out of that deal because of the reaction of the fanbase is just plain wrong. The Drew signing has NOTHING to do with Manny. I think all along they knew the Manny trade option was 50/50 at best. They have tried moving him each of the last few offseasons to no luck. So, what makes you sure they were going to move him this year? The Red Sox AND Yankees have both had some dreadful signings in the past (Pavano, Clement, Kevin Brown, Renteria, etc.) Yes, all Red Sox fans are "GD awful". :shrug: Apparently, you are clueless if you don't think there are moronic fans on both sides. I won't suggest what type of Yankee fan YOU are.
Oh lighten up, Francis. :goodposting:
Am I supposed to lighten up because each of your air tight theory's have holes in them? If you hate Red Sox fans, then perhaps you should stay out of Red Sox threads as they tend to have a lot of Sox fans in them. Just a thought.....

From what I can tell, the Sox just want to get a little more language worked into the contract so that they can protect themselves a tad in case he does get a big injury down the line.I really think this is much ado about nothing. Unless there is something seriously screwed up with the guy (which I highly doubt), the Sox are not opting out but it is smart to get anything extra they can in the contract.No big deal, the damage is already done. I am not a fan of this signing but I will try to be somewhat optimistic that they can get a couple of decent years out of the guy.
If you add up the games he plays in the life of his contract, that may add up to a couple of decent years. :shrug:
Carl Pavano down?

I really hate that I have to defend the guy but while his last five years aren't perfect, they are far from lost seasons too..

Except for 2005 with kind of a freak injury to his wrist, he has a decent amount of games played.

2002 135 GP

2003 100 GP

2004 145 GP

2005 72 GP (broken wrist)

2006 146 GP

Carl Pavano down?
Who?Matt Clement?

They got into negotiations with Drew because they thought they could move Manny.
I actually think this is BS.If you have heard other GMs at all, they have stated that the Sox asking price for Manny was very high. Some GMs wondered if the Sox were ever serious about trading Manny or it was just a charade so they could tell Manny they tried to move him again.

They got into negotiations with Drew because they thought they could move Manny.
I actually think this is BS.If you have heard other GMs at all, they have stated that the Sox asking price for Manny was very high. Some GMs wondered if the Sox were ever serious about trading Manny or it was just a charade so they could tell Manny they tried to move him again.
Fact of the matter is, they cannot get equal value for Manny because of the size of the contract, and his value at the plate. Teams know this and were trying to take advantage.

From what I can tell, the Sox just want to get a little more language worked into the contract so that they can protect themselves a tad in case he does get a big injury down the line.
Carl Pavano down?
Who?Matt Clement?
What guy in his prime is going to sign a contract with an opt out clause due to injury?JD Drew may be fragile but he aint an idiot.Pavano and Clement were never injury prone either.

Fact of the matter is, they cannot get equal value for Manny because of the size of the contract, and his value at the plate. Teams know this and were trying to take advantage.
Size of his contract and value at the plate?What does that mean? His contract is a value looking at the other signings this offseason. He is a much, much better hitter than Soriano or Lee.The Sox couldn't get fair value so they kept him. Simple as that.

Size of his contract and value at the plate?What does that mean? His contract is a value looking at the other signings this offseason. He is a much, much better hitter than Soriano or Lee.The Sox couldn't get fair value so they kept him. Simple as that.
But that's what I said. I'll type slower next time, K?

Drew is a career .393 OBP guy (.904 OPS) These are the numbers that matter most to Sox brass. Theo wants tough outs 1-9. Bigger nerds than I have projected the Red Sox to have a .360 team OBP and an .828 OPS. If that comes to fruition, it will likely top the league.

:tfp: I'm not thrilled with what I hear about Drew either, but he can rake when he plays. Better OFer than Nixon too. I think Sox fans should relax and give the guy a chance.

Manny's contract is not the albatross it once was.

Drew is a career .393 OBP guy (.904 OPS) These are the numbers that matter most to Sox brass. Theo wants tough outs 1-9. Bigger nerds than I have projected the Red Sox to have a .360 team OBP and an .828 OPS. If that comes to fruition, it will likely top the league.

:tfp: I'm not thrilled with what I hear about Drew either, but he can rake when he plays. Better OFer than Nixon too. I think Sox fans should relax and give the guy a chance.
Don't sell yourself short, guy.

Drew is a career .393 OBP guy (.904 OPS) These are the numbers that matter most to Sox brass. Theo wants tough outs 1-9. Bigger nerds than I have projected the Red Sox to have a .360 team OBP and an .828 OPS. If that comes to fruition, it will likely top the league. :tfp: I'm not thrilled with what I hear about Drew either, but he can rake when he plays. Better OFer than Nixon too. I think Sox fans should relax and give the guy a chance.
I think the injury reputation is a little unfair as he has had many injuries that are freakish (getting HBP). However, I think his reputation regarding his personality and lack of intensity make Red Sox fans very nervous. Boston fans are not forgiving. Unless your name is Manny, they won't put up with less than 100%. Hence the popularity of Johnny Damon, Trot Nixon, Jason Varitek, etc. Those guys leave it all on the field. If Drew isn't perceived as giving it everything he's got AND he has a slow start, the Sox fans will get all over him. (See Renteria) There are many players that can't handle playing in the hotbeds of NY and Boston. I think there are serious questions about JD Drew has that mental toughness. We'll see.....

Last edited by a moderator:

No, really. Some guy took ZiPS, James, and Shandler projections, and actuals from last year, (and he's anxiously awaiting the PECOTA numbers)-averaged them together and voila!

BTW- Manny's numbers border on insane. One of the greatest hitters of all time. Certainly the best I've ever seen.

:shrug: I'm not thrilled with what I hear about Drew either, but he can rake when he plays. Better OFer than Nixon too. I think Sox fans should relax and give the guy a chance.
No, really. Some guy took ZiPS, James, and Shandler projections, and actuals from last year, (and he's anxiously awaiting the PECOTA numbers)-averaged them together and voila!

BTW- Manny's numbers border on insane. One of the greatest hitters of all time. Certainly the best I've ever seen.
Bill Pecota sucked and his #'s are very overrated. :thumbdown:

Listen to Jefferson! Drew will be in right field and will be an excellent #5 brhind Papi + Manny! :D I loved Trot but he was hurt more than Drew!

I like the Drew signing, and if he stays healthy...IF......this could be a steal. The guy can play....period.

But is all for nothing anyway....

When the Jays get Zito, they are going to win the east

I like the Drew signing, and if he stays healthy...IF......this could be a steal. The guy can play....period.But is all for nothing anyway....When the Jays get Zito, they are going to win the east
how in the world is 14 mil per year for drew a steal? The guy's average year is like .286, 20 HR and 65 RBI. he's only driven in over 73 runs twice in 9 years

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread