What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (2 Viewers)

Hopefully not going over stuff already covered in this thread but which accessories are the most critical for the Big Green egg (other than a nest)?
Top 2 for me are

1) Platesetter

2) Pizza Stone

==================

You need to decide how you want the Egg to be stored. Two best choices are

1) Nest

2) Table

I started with a nest and then saw some really nice tables online so AcerFC encouraged me to try and build one because he did himself, and I was able to do it even being extremely unhandy. I like the table so much more than the nest

=====================

The you need to decide how you want to start your fires. I use an electric starter but there are many options you can explore including chimney, fire starter cubes etc

====================

Also, a bunch of us in the thread have recently purchased the Adjustable Rig which has been great

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/images/cg_products/LargeRigTabs/LRigQ2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
proninja said:
Hopefully not going over stuff already covered in this thread but which accessories are the most critical for the Big Green egg (other than a nest)?
I got a table instead of a nest, and would recommend that over and over and over again. By the time you pay for a nest and shelves, it isn't that much more. There's a local outfit around me that sells them for a lot cheaper than BGE's brand. I had to finish the cedar myself, but imo totally worth it. Two levels to store things, and I've got an easy place to set the plate setter/grill when I need to add fuel.

Get a plate setter so you can smoke, and something like this thermometer so you can monitor grill temp and meat temp accurately - http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wireless-BBQ-Thermometer-Set/dp/B00AXCS53O/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1370025574&sr=1-2&keywords=meathead+thermometer

Those are the absolutely must have items, imo.
I love the nest with the two wooden side tables. Plate setter is a must and I really like having the ash tool.

Oh and get a box of firestarters. You might go electric eventually but start with these.

Love the Maverick thermometer you posted ( I have the 732) and ordered this for quick temp checks.

The cast iron grate is really the best thing you could buy for the egg.
why?
Typically they hold high temperature heat better and will give you better grill marks for your steaks. I cook my steaks in a cast iron pan using Alton Brown's method, so I have always stock with the stock grid.
Grill marks are a defect imo.
Some people love them. To each his own I guess. I think they look nice but since I prefer a pan cook fir my steaks, I don't get any. Taste always overrides appearance for me.
Grill marks mean you have a temp control issue. It's like "Fall apart ribs" some people just like them that way, but for judging it's a mark down.

Grill marks scream applebees to me, now someone that is OCD about food.

Here's what my hero says about the subject

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_grill_marks_and_flipping_meat.html
And yet on Chopped, with some pretty distinguished judges, they always compliment the grill marks.
Chopped is to food television what Fox news is to news television.

proninja said:
proninja said:
Question for you guys -

I slept in this morning, and after making breakfast and prep I didn't get my two 7 pound butts on the smoker and up to temp until 10 or so. I've got people coming over at 6, would like to take them off then and let sit in foil for a half hour or so after. Goldwyn says prep for 2 hours/lb at between 225 and 250, which would put me at midnight. So I've got it at about 285 right now, been on about 90 miinutes, and my meat is at 86,

I realize it probably won't be perfect, but I'd like to get it to 203 by 6pm. Any idea on what temp I should be running? Suggestions?
Wrap it in foil once it stalls at or around 150 and keep it there. 285 is fine for now. You can push the heat more once you have them in foil, not before imo. Keep the smoke heavy for now as it won't pick up much more smoke between now and then.

If you are in a super panic cut them into 2 parts each, but that's probably not necessary.
It should be ok. Worst case scenario I serve sliced pork. I'm not too frightened, just want to get it as good as I can.

If I'm wrapping in foil, is there any reason other than the egg is cool not to finish in the oven?
Not really. Might keep your house from smelling like a woodshed.

The cast iron grate is really the best thing you could buy for the egg.
why?
Typically they hold high temperature heat better and will give you better grill marks for your steaks. I cook my steaks in a cast iron pan using Alton Brown's method, so I have always stock with the stock grid.
Grill marks are a defect imo.
Some people love them. To each his own I guess. I think they look nice but since I prefer a pan cook fir my steaks, I don't get any. Taste always overrides appearance for me.
Grill marks mean you have a temp control issue. It's like "Fall apart ribs" some people just like them that way, but for judging it's a mark down.

Grill marks scream applebees to me, now someone that is OCD about food.

Here's what my hero says about the subject

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_grill_marks_and_flipping_meat.html
And yet on Chopped, with some pretty distinguished judges, they always compliment the grill marks.
Chopped is to food television what Fox news is to news television.
you are officially on ignore :)

Huge Chopped fan here.

Love the half-moon raised grill. Made some sausage and peppers yesterday and it's perfect for it. Hot fire for the sausage without worrying about burning the veggies.

Got two 6lb pork butts on. Put them on last night at 10:15. Dome temp of about 245, grill temp of about 210. It's 7:10 right now. Dome is steady, grill is 225 (woke up it was 214 so I cracked the bottom just maybe a tenth of an inch). Meat is 158. Will take a while to get through the stall.

Set up is like this. Plate setter legs up, bottom vent open about 5mm, top vent closed.

So as I said in an earlier post, I got the nomex gasket. Was going to put it on last night after cleaning off the old one, only to realize that it takes 24 hours to cure. So I am doing a cook without a gasket, which some say is fine. Turns out that I've got enough air flow around the rim (gap is wider in rear than front) to sustain 245-250. I don't think I'm going to mess with this. Maintaining 250 with little to no effort is gold so for now, I'm going gasketless.

We'll see how the next few hours go.

Got two 6lb pork butts on. Put them on last night at 10:15. Dome temp of about 245, grill temp of about 210. It's 7:10 right now. Dome is steady, grill is 225 (woke up it was 214 so I cracked the bottom just maybe a tenth of an inch). Meat is 158. Will take a while to get through the stall.

Set up is like this. Plate setter legs up, bottom vent open about 5mm, top vent closed.

So as I said in an earlier post, I got the nomex gasket. Was going to put it on last night after cleaning off the old one, only to realize that it takes 24 hours to cure. So I am doing a cook without a gasket, which some say is fine. Turns out that I've got enough air flow around the rim (gap is wider in rear than front) to sustain 245-250. I don't think I'm going to mess with this. Maintaining 250 with little to no effort is gold so for now, I'm going gasketless.

We'll see how the next few hours go.
I've not had any gasket for at least 5 years - not by preference, just laziness. I bought a replacement gasket a few years ago and its still sitting somewhere in my workshop.

Pulled at 196 around 1:00, so 15 hour cook. Wrapped in foil, then towel, and sitting in cooler. Will pull it in an hour. Wife and I had a bite. It's incredible.

I love this thing.

As much as people want to complain about this place and the new upgrade, it's the people that keep me coming back. To refresh your memories, I seem to have a hard time keeping my fires going. So I tried something new today and it has worked flawlessly. Used NRs method of lighting one fire in the middle and I buried it pretty good. Then I used Culdeus' method of leaving daisy wheel wife open and only adjusting the bottom vent. So far it had worked great.

No idea how the chicken will taste, BUT no fire issues.

Pulled at 196 around 1:00, so 15 hour cook. Wrapped in foil, then towel, and sitting in cooler. Will pull it in an hour. Wife and I had a bite. It's incredible.

I love this thing.
awesome!

Did the butts have bone in or boneless?
Boneless. Costco. Thought I bought one 12#er but they sell double packs, so two butts on the smaller side. Didn't know that.

The bark on it is soooooooo good.

Here's the rub I've been using. I get the guy at the local spice shop to make a batch. 4 cups for about $20.

General Rub

As much as people want to complain about this place and the new upgrade, it's the people that keep me coming back. To refresh your memories, I seem to have a hard time keeping my fires going. So I tried something new today and it has worked flawlessly. Used NRs method of lighting one fire in the middle and I buried it pretty good. Then I used Culdeus' method of leaving daisy wheel wife open and only adjusting the bottom vent. So far it had worked great. No idea how the chicken will taste, BUT no fire issues.
This is true. This thread got me straightened out on my egg and now it works great and I have people drooling at my bbqs.

Smoked a 5#butt some st. louis ribs and some sausage today. All worked great. I'm done with baby backs. There's something wrong with my method on those and my st. louis come out perfect.

Got lazy and just used some dizzypig rub on all of it. For what it is it gets the job done. Expensive as hell though.

What's going wrong with your baby backs? Actually smoking those and St. Louis tomorrow together. How long do you smoke for?

What's going wrong with your baby backs? Actually smoking those and St. Louis tomorrow together. How long do you smoke for?
for spares its 3-2-1. Baby backs are more 2-1-1I've done baby backs once. They came out fine but I much prefer spare ribs. Last time I made them, I cut the top portion off and made rib tips. People loved themAnd my chicken breast was great today.

Baby backs I do about 4 hours. I do mostly a 2-1-1 and they just taste like pork tenderloin on the bone. They don't take on the flavor of st. louis imo. I like the rib tips also you get on st. louis.

I think maybe the egg just handles st. louis better. I can't really explain it.

Have had a Large for 18 months now. Love it. But can't stand wasting all of that coal for the small every day family dinners (cheeseburgers, chicken breasts, brats). Wife just informed me I'm getting a mini BGE for Father's Day. My buddy has one, swears by it for the small every day cooks.

Sanderman... nice job on the Costco butts. Those and the Costco tri-tip are my "go-to" cooks. The tri-tip is now my favorite cut of beef. 250 degrees for about 1.5 hours, apple/hickory smoke, placesetter, pull about 140, carve it up against the grain and it's like nothing else. And it's a fast smoke!

Have had a Large for 18 months now. Love it. But can't stand wasting all of that coal for the small every day family dinners (cheeseburgers, chicken breasts, brats).
What waste? If you are using lump charcoal there is no waste. What ever is left from your previous cook can simply be relit for your next cook. It is one of the best features of lump.

Have had a Large for 18 months now. Love it. But can't stand wasting all of that coal for the small every day family dinners (cheeseburgers, chicken breasts, brats).
What waste? If you are using lump charcoal there is no waste. What ever is left from your previous cook can simply be relit for your next cook. It is one of the best features of lump.
Indeed - I have no trouble getting it hot quick, cooking some quick burgers / dogs / brats, and shutting it down with minimal waste.

I *did* notice a big difference in unburnt lump when I switched to Red Oak brand last year. Before that, I was using Cowboy brand, which is garbage. That one had way more waste.

Fired my seal. Just got done installing the high temperature one. What a pain in the dickmitten.
Got any tips? I still need to do mine. Did you do top and bottom?
*use the glue they recommend. It is ULTRA sticky so be careful how you spray it and cover anything in the near area.

*I had to take my dome off to invert it to get a good working surface. You should be able to find youtube vids on this if you are not sure how and find you need to.

*Clean, clean, clean, clean, scrape, scrape and scrape as much of the old glue off as possible. The cleaner the surface, the better it will adhere

*Do not stretch the material. It will naturally slightly shrink over time so just get a good fit but do not pull it else your seam will seperate

*Go easy for the first few cooks to let the glue get comfortable at a normal temp before going about 500

Fired my seal. Just got done installing the high temperature one. What a pain in the dickmitten.
Got any tips? I still need to do mine. Did you do top and bottom?
*use the glue they recommend. It is ULTRA sticky so be careful how you spray it and cover anything in the near area.

*I had to take my dome off to invert it to get a good working surface. You should be able to find youtube vids on this if you are not sure how and find you need to.

*Clean, clean, clean, clean, scrape, scrape and scrape as much of the old glue off as possible. The cleaner the surface, the better it will adhere

*Do not stretch the material. It will naturally slightly shrink over time so just get a good fit but do not pull it else your seam will seperate

*Go easy for the first few cooks to let the glue get comfortable at a normal temp before going about 500
I bought this one and it has adhesive on it already.

To answer Sande's question, I did the top and bottom. Bottom was no problem scraping the old seal off but the top was a #####. I'm pretty sure I screwed up though because I didn't notice the directions where it said make sure that it doesn't overhang inside the grill. Guess I'll find out soon enough. GLGB!

what kind of pizza stone do you guys use? Does it have to be one specially made for the BGE or will a standard run-of-the-mill stone work okay?

what kind of pizza stone do you guys use? Does it have to be one specially made for the BGE or will a standard run-of-the-mill stone work okay?
I use one we had from bed bath and beyond and it works great. i highly suggest you buy this

It is a little pricey but one of the best purchases I have made since I routinely make 2-3 pies when I make pizza

Godsbrother said:
I have a standard one, works great. One thing to remember is that you should buy one that is smaller than your egg so that you can have good air flow. Some people have speculated that when people buy a pizza stone that is too big that the high temps a pizza is cooked at contributes to the eventual failure of the gasket. I have a 14 inch stone for my large

I've got the BGE pizza stone. No issues at all. Had a stone from Bed, Bath and Beyond before that and it cracked under high heat. The BGS stone is pricey but it's thick and solid.

steelerfeever said:
Have had a Large for 18 months now. Love it. But can't stand wasting all of that coal for the small every day family dinners (cheeseburgers, chicken breasts, brats). Wife just informed me I'm getting a mini BGE for Father's Day. My buddy has one, swears by it for the small every day cooks. Sanderman... nice job on the Costco butts. Those and the Costco tri-tip are my "go-to" cooks. The tri-tip is now my favorite cut of beef. 250 degrees for about 1.5 hours, apple/hickory smoke, placesetter, pull about 140, carve it up against the grain and it's like nothing else. And it's a fast smoke!
What sort of marinade / rub on the tri tip?

I've tried a bunch but my favorite is Three Little Pigs, Memphis style. All my buddies have BGE's and compete and they all love my tri-tip. 100% success rate. Pull at 140, wrap for at least 10 minutes, slice and serve.

proninja said:
I know there's a lot of discussion on this in the thread, but it's a big thread, and I'm lazy.

What do you guys use to cook multiple racks of ribs? I bought the BGE branded thing that is supposed to hold multiple racks vertical and it's a waste of 30 bucks.
A bunch of us have this and we love it. Great versitility. You should look at the R&B Combo Package at the link below

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/big-green-egg-large-adjustable-rig.html

I've tried a bunch but my favorite is Three Little Pigs, Memphis style. All my buddies have BGE's and compete and they all love my tri-tip. 100% success rate. Pull at 140, wrap for at least 10 minutes, slice and serve.
I love the hint of cherry 3 little pigs

proninja said:
I know there's a lot of discussion on this in the thread, but it's a big thread, and I'm lazy.

What do you guys use to cook multiple racks of ribs? I bought the BGE branded thing that is supposed to hold multiple racks vertical and it's a waste of 30 bucks.
Vertical? I just use my old weber one. Its a v rack shape. Works fine.

I have a big slab of pork spare ribs. I want to trim them to make them into a St Louis cut.

Should I do anything special with the piece that was cut off (the rib tips?) or can I just smoke that long piece along with the St Louis cut slab?

I have a big slab of pork spare ribs. I want to trim them to make them into a St Louis cut.

Should I do anything special with the piece that was cut off (the rib tips?) or can I just smoke that long piece along with the St Louis cut slab?
smoke it along side it. Last time I didn't trim it until after. I like that way better.

smoke it along side it. Last time I didn't trim it until after. I like that way better.
Oh that is interesting. Why did you find that you liked it better trimming after rather than before?

And how do you serve the big long piece that is cut off? Do you slice it?

Oh that is interesting. Why did you find that you liked it better trimming after rather than before?And how do you serve the big long piece that is cut off? Do you slice it?
no fancy reason. Just gave me one less thing to do at prep. Yes, I cut it up. Was a big hit at the last family gathering.

Looking for advice:

I am doing back to back cooks today

First cook: 375 indirect for about 40 minutes

Second cook: 250 indirect for about 6 hours

Is there a recommended way to go from the first to the second temperature in terms of do I just set my vents to the "250ish" setting immediately after finishing first cook, or should I go down in gradual steps with the vents?

I am trying to balance making sure I don't mistakenly put the fire out with not spending a ton of time getting from 375 to 250.

NewlyRetired said:
Looking for advice:

Is there a recommended way to go from the first to the second temperature in terms of do I just set my vents to the "250ish" setting immediately after finishing first cook, or should I go down in gradual steps with the vents?

I am trying to balance making sure I don't mistakenly put the fire out with not spending a ton of time getting from 375 to 250.
I've never done this but I think it might take you a very, very long time to go to 250 after 375 without shutting down the grill temporarily. I'd close everything up and get it down to 225, then open vents for 250. I expect it'll creep back up and I don't think you'll lose the fire.

NewlyRetired said:
Looking for advice:

I've never done this but I think it might take you a very, very long time to go to 250 after 375 without shutting down the grill temporarily. I'd close everything up and get it down to 225, then open vents for 250. I expect it'll creep back up and I don't think you'll lose the fire.
NOt ideal but you can pour .5-1c of water dead center on the fire then shut it down to where you expect it to be.

NewlyRetired said:
Looking for advice:

NOt ideal but you can pour .5-1c of water dead center on the fire then shut it down to where you expect it to be.
Having had a fire ring and a firebox crack under normal conditions, I would not do that. I've heard of cases where the Egg itself and the iron base have cracked. Water only more likely to make that happen in a rapid cool down using water. RISKY.

NewlyRetired said:
Looking for advice:

Having had a fire ring and a firebox crack under normal conditions, I would not do that. I've heard of cases where the Egg itself and the iron base have cracked. Water only more likely to make that happen in a rapid cool down using water. RISKY.
I ended up just immediately moving the vents to a 250ish position and just waited it out. Took ~50 minutes to get to the 275 range at which point I just put inthe slab of ribs. The cold ribs helped get it down to my taget temp.

I made my ribs yesterday on my adjustable rig and as usual they made a mess of the grills with the bbq suace and general dripping. The stone was protected by foil so that was an easy clean up.

Since the Egg itself was not in need of a clean burn, I simply tossed the pieces of the adjustable rig into the gas grill, cranked it up to high and in a few minutes all of the pieces had burned off.

This is a quick easy method to clean some of the metal based accessories if you do not need to do a clean burn.

NewlyRetired said:
Looking for advice:

I ended up just immediately moving the vents to a 250ish position and just waited it out. Took ~50 minutes to get to the 275 range at which point I just put inthe slab of ribs. The cold ribs helped get it down to my taget temp.
good to know. filing this away.

Anybody use the bernzomatic? I've gone through 6 different fire starters from Home Depot and lowes. My outlet must be busting them or something. :hot:

Anyways, thought I would try something new.

Users who are viewing this thread