What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (1 Viewer)

The store I bought it from is pretty slow in putting this thing together, so I went and told them I will pick it up in pieces and put it together. Weekend project :loco: But I am hopeful it's not hard. The guy told me "that if I go to school, I can do it." What kind of school? How does being a cardiologist help me build a Big Green Egg?Anyone ever put one together?
I am literally the most unhandy guy in the world and the BGE was as easy as can be to put together. It was 5 years ago but I don't remember it even taking too long.Youtube has some videos on it in case you want to take a peak at the work.
Sweet, thanks. Pretty pumped to make some ribs and/or spatchcocked chicken this weekend.

The store I bought it from is pretty slow in putting this thing together, so I went and told them I will pick it up in pieces and put it together. Weekend project :thumbup: But I am hopeful it's not hard. The guy told me "that if I go to school, I can do it." What kind of school? How does being a cardiologist help me build a Big Green Egg?

Anyone ever put one together?
I am literally the most unhandy guy in the world and the BGE was as easy as can be to put together. It was 5 years ago but I don't remember it even taking too long.

Youtube has some videos on it in case you want to take a peak at the work.
Sweet, thanks. Pretty pumped to make some ribs and/or spatchcocked chicken this weekend.
if you have the raised grill, go with the spatchcock first. It is almost idiot proof for a first cook. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

The store I bought it from is pretty slow in putting this thing together, so I went and told them I will pick it up in pieces and put it together. Weekend project :unsure: But I am hopeful it's not hard. The guy told me "that if I go to school, I can do it." What kind of school? How does being a cardiologist help me build a Big Green Egg?

I am literally the most unhandy guy in the world and the BGE was as easy as can be to put together. It was 5 years ago but I don't remember it even taking too long.

if you have the raised grill, go with the spatchcock first. It is almost idiot proof for a first cook. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
Idiot proof indeed - about to pull off the chicken and accordion potatoes http://img16.imageshack.us/i/img20110129190623.jpg/ and http://img831.imageshack.us/i/img20110129191929.jpg/ The cook was effortless, even though I struggled a bit with the temperature. Parents and brother agreed the chicken was incredible. Easily the best I've ever had off a grill. I spatchcocked it, seasoned with chipotle mix, and threw it on the grill. Didn't open it again until the remote thermometer (which is awesome, btw) read 163*. Let it rest for 5 minutes, and the meat was easily the juciest I've ever had. I would make this once a week, it was that good. Effortless, too :lmao:

The store I bought it from is pretty slow in putting this thing together, so I went and told them I will pick it up in pieces and put it together. Weekend project :lmao: But I am hopeful it's not hard. The guy told me "that if I go to school, I can do it." What kind of school? How does being a cardiologist help me build a Big Green Egg?

Idiot proof indeed - about to pull off the chicken and accordion potatoes http://img16.imageshack.us/i/img20110129190623.jpg/ and http://img831.imageshack.us/i/img20110129191929.jpg/ The cook was effortless, even though I struggled a bit with the temperature. Parents and brother agreed the chicken was incredible. Easily the best I've ever had off a grill. I spatchcocked it, seasoned with chipotle mix, and threw it on the grill. Didn't open it again until the remote thermometer (which is awesome, btw) read 163*. Let it rest for 5 minutes, and the meat was easily the juciest I've ever had. I would make this once a week, it was that good. Effortless, too :bag:
congrats, that looks sweet.Spatchcock is so easy you will find yourself making it often.

Don't worry about the temp setting, every one has some troubles in the beginning but before you know it, it will become second nature to you. Surf around for some tips although people use many different techniques to achieve the temp they want.

Maybe some of the best money I have ever spent. Every cook has been awesome. From chicken thighs, to ribs, to last night's steaks, all were awesome. Price increases are coming, they might go up another $100 from what I have heard.

My cousin bought the large about a year ago. Just before Thanksgiving he bought the XL and sold his large to another relative. I haven't had a chance to pick his brain on the XL. I know that there are some design differences and would like to know if the XL is as consistent with the performance of the Large which he raved about...
Update? I am looking at buying an XL for a bit over $900 but wondering if I should get a large.

'Sandeman said:
My cousin bought the large about a year ago. Just before Thanksgiving he bought the XL and sold his large to another relative. I haven't had a chance to pick his brain on the XL. I know that there are some design differences and would like to know if the XL is as consistent with the performance of the Large which he raved about...
Update? I am looking at buying an XL for a bit over $900 but wondering if I should get a large.
I would recommend purchasing the largest size you can afford. I love love love my large, but if I had to do it again I would have gone with xl

Anybody know who has the best deals/price on these right now?
They don't do many sales. It is sort of like Apple products. You want it new you pay sticker. You can get deals on craigslist if you have a way to transport it.
Yea I figured as much. Think I'm ready for one. Thanks.
Best way to save a few bucks is to go to an egggfest in your area. Very popular during the spring and summer. Dealers put out demo eggs that are cooked on and sell them for about 10 percent off. Still get the lifetime warranty and save on an egg that was only used once. Plus you'll meet fellow edgers, enjoy some great food,mand learn how to use the egg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody know who has the best deals/price on these right now?
They don't do many sales. It is sort of like Apple products. You want it new you pay sticker. You can get deals on craigslist if you have a way to transport it.
Yea I figured as much. Think I'm ready for one. Thanks.
Be careful buying from anyone/anyplace that isn't a registered BGE partner. They are very explicit on their website that going outside their certified partners will render any warranty void. Not sure how this would work with buying of of Craigslist, etc. Just an FYI.That said, you'll love yours. We are living in a condo temporarily and ours is in storage. It's probably the thing I miss the most. :sadbanana:ETA: JB> if you have any desire to play around with a BGE (I'm sure you have other friends who have them, so you may be all set), our Large is in storage in Powell. Be happy to wheel it out and have someone use it while we're in this condo.

Last edited by a moderator:
'St. Louis Bob said:
I got one of these for Christmas. A quick synopsis of tips etc. would be greatly appreciated.
For me, the one must-have accessory is the plate setter. I broke mine once, and immediately got in my car and drove to buy another. Basically, the plate setter allows you to do indirect grilling. The other accessory I use every single time is the ash-scraper tool, but I suppose you could probably fashion something yourself if you don't want to buy one of those. That's all I've got in terms of extras.There are a ton of great websites out there for the BGE. You will quickly learn that there is a huge community of BGE fanatics. I think it might be a bit overrated in comparison to other ceramic grills, but I've never used anything else and I love this thing. Mine sits outside (in Wisconsin) 365 days, uncovered. I almost never use my Weber Genesis anymore. At least 70-80 percent of my use is just basic grilling, but the real benefit of this thing is its ability to do a steak at 900 degrees one day and the next do a 14 hour smoke holding steady at 225 without ever adding charcoal. Some guys will do a pork shoulder, whole turkey or a brisket without opening the grill once until its done.

It took me about a year to get really comfortable with the grill, but am basically on cruise control now - very rarely use a dome thermometer and can make simple stuff like chicken, pork chops, tenderloin, etc. in my sleep with this thing.

I like the Naked Whiz site (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm), but there are a ton of them out there. I would say to break it in with some chickens, pork, tenderloin or other simple stuff, but then you're going to want to do something like a long low/slow smoke or a high temp steak pretty quickly. If you've smoked on other grills, you will be surprised at how easy this is to get to and maintain a low, steady temp over long period of time. Have fun - its a great grill.

New to all this BGE and smokers, but want to take the plunge into one of them. Question I have does the BGE do a better job at smoking then a true smoker like the Weber Smokey Mountain? Where do the wood chips go in the BGE?

New to all this BGE and smokers, but want to take the plunge into one of them. Question I have does the BGE do a better job at smoking then a true smoker like the Weber Smokey Mountain? Where do the wood chips go in the BGE?
They are both great smokers. If you only intend to smoke get the WSM. If you want to smoke, grill, and bake get the BGE. You mix the wood chips/chunks in with the lump coal.

Paid a visit to the dealer on Long Island the other day. Definitely going with the large. He had one at the store that he uses regularly to cook outside for customers and passer-bys. Good size. He also had a new X-Large on display. That things a monster! Just have to make a decision on the stand but as it is now, the BGE, wheeled-stand, side shelves and plate setter would be about $1200.

I'll probably wait until the winter is over. I don't want to be learning how to work with it in the cold. I'd rather get used to it so next winter I can leave it on its own and not ruin a meal. Frustrating too because it's been such a mild winter, unlike last year, but I know if I got it we'd be blasted with snow. I'll use up my charcoal on my old grill until then.

The dealer is across the street from where I work. Used to be full time, now I freelance. A co-worker has a BGE and couldn't say enough good things about it. Another is considering getting one. The dealer said he couldn't believe how many he sold the past year compared to previous years. Lots of word-of-mouth on it.

Paid a visit to the dealer on Long Island the other day. Definitely going with the large. He had one at the store that he uses regularly to cook outside for customers and passer-bys. Good size. He also had a new X-Large on display. That things a monster! Just have to make a decision on the stand but as it is now, the BGE, wheeled-stand, side shelves and plate setter would be about $1200.I'll probably wait until the winter is over. I don't want to be learning how to work with it in the cold. I'd rather get used to it so next winter I can leave it on its own and not ruin a meal. Frustrating too because it's been such a mild winter, unlike last year, but I know if I got it we'd be blasted with snow. I'll use up my charcoal on my old grill until then. The dealer is across the street from where I work. Used to be full time, now I freelance. A co-worker has a BGE and couldn't say enough good things about it. Another is considering getting one. The dealer said he couldn't believe how many he sold the past year compared to previous years. Lots of word-of-mouth on it.
all sounds great! I also got the nest and plate setter but did not get the side plates as I did not feel I would use them (I had other areas to use that sufficed). Other accessories you might want to pick up is a second grill rack so that you can build a raised grill, and a pizza stone if you are interested in pizza's, calzones, breads etc.If you don't get the nest, where are you going to put it? Are you thinking of building a table for it? I wish I was handy because some of the DIY plans the BGE community puts out are really cool.Waiting until the spring makes sense. There is a small learning curve so you don't want to be battling crappy weather while learning how to use the Egg.

Paid a visit to the dealer on Long Island the other day. Definitely going with the large. He had one at the store that he uses regularly to cook outside for customers and passer-bys. Good size. He also had a new X-Large on display. That things a monster! Just have to make a decision on the stand but as it is now, the BGE, wheeled-stand, side shelves and plate setter would be about $1200.I'll probably wait until the winter is over. I don't want to be learning how to work with it in the cold. I'd rather get used to it so next winter I can leave it on its own and not ruin a meal. Frustrating too because it's been such a mild winter, unlike last year, but I know if I got it we'd be blasted with snow. I'll use up my charcoal on my old grill until then. The dealer is across the street from where I work. Used to be full time, now I freelance. A co-worker has a BGE and couldn't say enough good things about it. Another is considering getting one. The dealer said he couldn't believe how many he sold the past year compared to previous years. Lots of word-of-mouth on it.
all sounds great! I also got the nest and plate setter but did not get the side plates as I did not feel I would use them (I had other areas to use that sufficed). Other accessories you might want to pick up is a second grill rack so that you can build a raised grill, and a pizza stone if you are interested in pizza's, calzones, breads etc.If you don't get the nest, where are you going to put it? Are you thinking of building a table for it? I wish I was handy because some of the DIY plans the BGE community puts out are really cool.Waiting until the spring makes sense. There is a small learning curve so you don't want to be battling crappy weather while learning how to use the Egg.
Ah, so you double the grill height to fit more on it? That's what I was wondering about to cook trays of vegetables, etc. I'll look into it. I know I'll get the pizza stone eventually but it'll probably be a while until I'm thinking pizza. I can fix a lot of things but I'm no builder. I'll either buy the nest or a table. The guy I work with built a table for his to sit in. I definitey need some kind of counter space because the egg will be out in the open.

Paid a visit to the dealer on Long Island the other day. Definitely going with the large. He had one at the store that he uses regularly to cook outside for customers and passer-bys. Good size. He also had a new X-Large on display. That things a monster! Just have to make a decision on the stand but as it is now, the BGE, wheeled-stand, side shelves and plate setter would be about $1200.

I'll probably wait until the winter is over. I don't want to be learning how to work with it in the cold. I'd rather get used to it so next winter I can leave it on its own and not ruin a meal. Frustrating too because it's been such a mild winter, unlike last year, but I know if I got it we'd be blasted with snow. I'll use up my charcoal on my old grill until then.

The dealer is across the street from where I work. Used to be full time, now I freelance. A co-worker has a BGE and couldn't say enough good things about it. Another is considering getting one. The dealer said he couldn't believe how many he sold the past year compared to previous years. Lots of word-of-mouth on it.
all sounds great! I also got the nest and plate setter but did not get the side plates as I did not feel I would use them (I had other areas to use that sufficed). Other accessories you might want to pick up is a second grill rack so that you can build a raised grill, and a pizza stone if you are interested in pizza's, calzones, breads etc.

If you don't get the nest, where are you going to put it? Are you thinking of building a table for it? I wish I was handy because some of the DIY plans the BGE community puts out are really cool.

Waiting until the spring makes sense. There is a small learning curve so you don't want to be battling crappy weather while learning how to use the Egg.
Ah, so you double the grill height to fit more on it? That's what I was wondering about to cook trays of vegetables, etc. I'll look into it.
Some people do it for that reason but I do it also for another reason.With spatchcock chicken it can sometimes be too close to to the direct flame and by using a raised grill, it can elevate the meat a bit higher and allow the cooking process to be easier with out worry about burning.

There are many forms of raised grills so you will need to figure out which is best for you. I have tried a couple and found one that I liked. Here are some pics of different raised grills from yahoo images

My link

Jammy, you should also think about how you want to start your fires. There are numerous ways (electric starter, chimney, blow torch, cubes etc). Just read up on them and pick one so you will be ready come spring.

Just got my XL about 10 days ago. Have used it 6 times and love it.

Right now it's just sitting on my pavers outside, but I started building a cedar cart yesterday. I reviewed the naked whiz plans as well as the large cart plans on the BGE site.

My link

That's where I'm at after a few hours Saturday afternoon. Still need to finish the lower shelf, cut the hole for the egg, install the casters and slap on the poly. I also have a nice piece of granite to put on the table top for like a prep station type of thing. So far I haven't totally screwed it up and I'll be out of it with around $200 of materials. Pray for me.

I haven't purchased the place setter yet, but I have heard it's a must have. I got the electric starter, which rules. I got the rack thing for ribs or to flip and hold pork shoulders or whatever.

Anyone have any particular brand of tongs or grilling implements they like? I'm going to add a little grilling tool rack on the side of the cart and I have a lot of older stuff from my weber, but maybe there's something cool I don't even know about yet.

Just got my XL about 10 days ago. Have used it 6 times and love it.

Right now it's just sitting on my pavers outside, but I started building a cedar cart yesterday. I reviewed the naked whiz plans as well as the large cart plans on the BGE site.

My link

That's where I'm at after a few hours Saturday afternoon. Still need to finish the lower shelf, cut the hole for the egg, install the casters and slap on the poly. I also have a nice piece of granite to put on the table top for like a prep station type of thing. So far I haven't totally screwed it up and I'll be out of it with around $200 of materials. Pray for me.

I haven't purchased the place setter yet, but I have heard it's a must have. I got the electric starter, which rules. I got the rack thing for ribs or to flip and hold pork shoulders or whatever.

Anyone have any particular brand of tongs or grilling implements they like? I'm going to add a little grilling tool rack on the side of the cart and I have a lot of older stuff from my weber, but maybe there's something cool I don't even know about yet.
That table is going to be great. Good luck on finishing the build. Wish I knew how to hold a hammer :( I like the electric starter too. So easy if you have a plug near by.

Once you get the plate setter you can start some real bbqing with indirect heat. Lots of fun!

I'm thinking I should waterproof my table but thought I would run it by you guys first. What do you think? Spray some Thompson's on it?

I'm thinking I should waterproof my table but thought I would run it by you guys first. What do you think? Spray some Thompson's on it?
BUMP
I am not handy but a million people have built them at the forum below. Ask in this forum, the people are ultra helpfulhttp://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=showcat&view=classic&catid=1&showdays=2

BUMP
I built a table for my egg and used minwax spar urathane to weather proof it. I think I put about 4 coats on and so far (about a year later) it is still holding up.
Thanks, I finally found the website and it is made from cypress. I don't think it needs to be waterproofed?

BUMP
I built a table for my egg and used minwax spar urathane to weather proof it. I think I put about 4 coats on and so far (about a year later) it is still holding up.
Thanks, I finally found the website and it is made from cypress. I don't think it needs to be waterproofed?
Probably doesn't need to be but it might get you a few extra years use if you do it.

'St. Louis Bob said:
BUMP
I don't claim to be an expert, but have finished/re-finished many outdoor and indoor wood pieces and this is my off-the-cuff. You are correct that cypress (like cedar) is naturally resistant to rot, decay and is great for outdoor use. It will turn grey and age naturally very well. I think Cypress looks great if just left alone, but you can also finish it, which I think is a little nicer, especially for something you are proud of or want to show off a bit - it just takes a bit of work initially and some updating every couple of years. I made some outdoor furniture a few years ago and wanted the pieces to hold up and look nice, so I used a penetrating oil product that is designed to resist UV and outdoor weather ("Outdoor Oil" from General Finishes). This is a great finishing oil imo. I would not recommend any polyurethane or similar product (including the minwax "Spar" finishes and similar products) as they are more in the nature of hard protective coats and don't work as well. They are hard to renew in future years (to do it right, you have to strip and re-finish, rather than just applying new coats as you do with an oil product) and they don't hold up to the sun very well. I don't know what Thompson's water seal is really, but I would not use it on a nice piece of furniture.I did an exterior door a few years ago with a product called Cetol 1 from Sikkens (My link). This is a great exterior finish but is rather expensive. I would use it again to do something really nice, but not for just general outdoor furniture that is going to get trashed in a few years anyway.

'St. Louis Bob said:
BUMP
I don't claim to be an expert, but have finished/re-finished many outdoor and indoor wood pieces and this is my off-the-cuff. You are correct that cypress (like cedar) is naturally resistant to rot, decay and is great for outdoor use. It will turn grey and age naturally very well. I think Cypress looks great if just left alone, but you can also finish it, which I think is a little nicer, especially for something you are proud of or want to show off a bit - it just takes a bit of work initially and some updating every couple of years. I made some outdoor furniture a few years ago and wanted the pieces to hold up and look nice, so I used a penetrating oil product that is designed to resist UV and outdoor weather ("Outdoor Oil" from General Finishes). This is a great finishing oil imo. I would not recommend any polyurethane or similar product (including the minwax "Spar" finishes and similar products) as they are more in the nature of hard protective coats and don't work as well. They are hard to renew in future years (to do it right, you have to strip and re-finish, rather than just applying new coats as you do with an oil product) and they don't hold up to the sun very well. I don't know what Thompson's water seal is really, but I would not use it on a nice piece of furniture.I did an exterior door a few years ago with a product called Cetol 1 from Sikkens (My link). This is a great exterior finish but is rather expensive. I would use it again to do something really nice, but not for just general outdoor furniture that is going to get trashed in a few years anyway.
Awesome. Thanks!

Thanks to some unseasonably warm weather I just got my XL together. HFS, could they make the written instructions any more complicated?

The bottom broke on mine...replaced free with warranty. Their customer service is amazing, and their product is still the best thing I've ever purchased. No one regrets buying one.

We have ours in storage right now because we are temporarily renting my sister-in-law's condo. I miss it so much.

I'd love to see some pics of the tables some of you are building. It's been my summer project for three years in a row - might finally get around to building one this summer. Mine sits outdoors, uncovered, year round here in Wisconsin and rarely goes more than a week or two without use. This time of year it is my constant companion.

Users who are viewing this thread