What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (2 Viewers)

I thought AnandTech was going to do a comprehensive battery benchmark but I cannot find it, found this article:http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/26/technology/iphone-5-review-battery/index.html

To get a worst-case estimate, I set the Pandora (P) app to play Web radio nonstop, then disable the phone screen's auto-lock option to keep the display lit. For a best-case data point, I'll leave the phone on a desk with the screen off, mobile broadband active and Bluetooth and WiFi powered up but not linked to anything; 24 hours later, I'll check its battery status. I don't look at talk time, because we increasingly use smartphones for things other than calling.By those metrics, the iPhone 5 is terrific -- but not by a huge margin. In the Web-radio test, it lasted 7 hours and 44 minutes; in the second, its onscreen battery gauge read 85% after 24 hours idling away. Each figure beats any Android phone I've tested on an LTE signal, although some 3G models have done better.(Most of those devices yielded dismal results because they used separate circuitry for 3G and LTE. The iPhone 5 and such newer rivals as HTC's One X series and Samsung's Galaxy S III employ a more efficient unified design.)I'm used having to recharge so many of these lesser devices by noon at busy tech events. The iPhone 5 pushes that "where can I plug in?" moment into the night -- an advance power users will welcome. I used mine at the Online News Association's conference in San Francisco last weekend, which may not have been CES or SXSW but still had me spending an inordinate amount of time on my phone.And after 10 hours Saturday spent checking e-mail, tweeting, reading on the Web and looking up directions a few times, the iPhone 5 still had a 32% charge by that evening. It took another three hours for it to fall below 10%. That's seriously good.But on Sunday, three hours online, five hours of airplane mode on the flight back to D.C. and a couple of quick "tethering" sessions sharing the iPhone 5's LTE with my laptop combined to drive the battery down to 52 percent. As much as the iPhone 5 advances smartphone battery life, in one aspect it only matches competitors: You'd still be wise to bring a cable and a charger if you're going to spend a long day with this thing.

'Otis said:
'Aaron Rudnicki said:
FWIW... the regular Starbucks app has been doing this for years.
,swas trying to figure out what was different/new here.
Maybe it's not. :shrug:I thought the different/new was keeping all these cards in one place, and the cards automatically popping up when you're in a location where you'll need it (boarding pass pops up in airport, Starbucks card when I'm at my local startbucks, etc.).From a practical perspective, it seems to me that Passbook is what will cause a lot more merchants to actually provide this functionality. iPhone seems to drive a lot of this stuff. Just the same way it drove everyone to go out and make an app, it may be what drives the merchants to release "Passbook friendly" apps. :shrug:
I hadn't used passbook yet as I didn't think it was even working. If it brings up the app when appropriate, I can see that simplifying things a bit, especially as more and more businesses start to use the technology. But, it's not like pulling out a starbucks card or finding the app while waiting in line was that difficult to begin with.Regardless, it's always good to have more options.

Agree. Passbook is neat but it's not that hard to carry a Starbucks card. It would come in handy for boarding passes but the rest is far from vital. So far.

'Polish Hammer said:
'[icon] said:
It seems like I'm definitely going to want a battery case for this. Any specific ones that are good or to be avoided?

Also, how can I create a group contact list for email distribution on here?

It shows me that I can upgrade to the new iOS. Is there any really good reason that I should or shouldn't do that? Right now with the old one I also have the old maps which seems to be the better choice of the two. What do I get with the new iOS that is useful to outweigh that? I don't use any iCloud stuff at this time, so that probably doesn't factor in.
Which model iPhone do you have? For the 4/4S I HIGHLY recommend the PhoneSuit. Boost is okay. Mophie is garbage.

iPhone 5 doesn't have any great battery cases out yet but the Boost is coming soon. Phonesuit is still in development.
I have the 4s, sorry for not putting that in originally. I was looking at the Phonesuit. Seems the two knocks on it are that it is a little pricey compared to other options and the top part is somewhat fragile. Any knowledge on this one: uNu case?In addition to group contacts, I'm having some issues with appointments. When I get appointment invites as attachments to emails, and accept them, they aren't showing up in my calendar. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

As one of the Apple gurus here, do you have any input on if I should upgrade to the new iOS or not?
No idea on the unu case but I will say that the phonesuit has held up better than the Boost case I bought. Also the battery life is measurably more than Boost while being smaller and more "well constructed". The top pieces break on all these that I've owned (3 different cases).... but phonesuit includes two and will send you 2-3 more just by asking. Took 2 days... they are VERY fast with service emails (as in hour or two if not minutes to respond).

Boost case died on me... split open.... and they're not responding to emails regarding warranty.

Mophie is expensive, fragile, and has the lowest capacity of the cases.

My 4s has been jamming up 5-6 times a day since moving to the new Ios, anyone else had this? It undreezes after 30 seconds or so but is really annoying.

Paid for our coffees this morning at Starbucks with my phone. Pretty cool. :thumbup:Since I installed the Starbucks app, Passbook flashes up a notification every time I walk past the local Starbucks when I get off the train and walk home at night. This morning I loaded up my Starbucks card with 20 bucks through the app. Walked into the store, pop open Passbook, it opens up to my Starbucks card. Put my phone up to the scanner when it's time to pay, and that's that. Within 5 seconds or so, the app already updates to reflect a decreased balance on my card after the purchase.I nearly always have my phone out (had it out since I was checking lotto numbers), and all I needed to do was a couple swipes and pay. No digging into my wallet for a credit card, handing it over, and putting it back in and stuffing the wallet back in my pocket. I could get used to this. I hope Passbook will allow me to have a digital version of my AMEX card and other cards soon... :thumbup:
What did u have to swipe?
Not a swipe -- just hole your phone up so the screen faces that supermarket scanner looking thing next to the register. Was really fast.
Gotcha.
FWIW... the regular Starbucks app has been doing this for years.
Right. Passbook isn't terribly useful today. But as more and more business start switching over to scan payment methods, it could become really convenient to have all those apps in one convenient location.
not to be all fanboy but isn't this the same that all the apps like keyring as been doing? Put your card in the app and have it scanned. Same for boarding passes etc?I thought the new thing was with the NFC so you load up your wallet and just use the fastpass thing, no need to open the phone and have the "supermarket thing" scan the screen, just put back of phone against itNot a flame, serious question - is there something new to IOS?ETA: I've been using the keyring app for all my cards etc, my phone does not have the NFC
Yep. NFC is the way to go. My guess is the iPhone 5S or what ever they call it will have it. You have to remember this is Apple and they will make sure they have a reason for you to upgrade. Now for the Apple Fan Boys. 1. How to I get rid of the NewsStand and other APPLE icons I do not want on my desktop shortcuts? It will not allow me to move them to folders or uninstall them (which I get). What is really strange is I can move music to a folder just not Newsstand. The UI seems odd at times.

1. How to I get rid of the NewsStand and other APPLE icons I do not want on my desktop shortcuts? It will not allow me to move them to folders or uninstall them (which I get). What is really strange is I can move music to a folder just not Newsstand. The UI seems odd at times.
Here's a trick...
Grab any two apps and create a new folder, this is where you’ll be storing NewsstandThe moment the apps are moved to the folder and the new folder animation is activated, drag Newsstand into the folder
http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/13/move-newsstand-app-into-a-folder-on-ios-5/

How are there no docks or accessories available for this yet? Sort of weird.
Perhaps this is another early indication that some of the edges are fraying in Apple-world post-jobs.
I'm talking third party stuff.
Exactly. That stuff is often ready to roll as soon as they are confident they have the dimensions and connector right. New connector so it makes sense that they are taking a little longer, but it wasn't really that much of a surprise, so it seems like they should be available (and they may be, I haven't been looking.)

Perhaps this is another early indication that some of the edges are fraying in Apple-world post-jobs.
Apparently they have all the licensing for the new port, and are not selling it to any 3rd party providers. ...Keeping it all to themselves.
Oh, that's really annoying.

Apparently they have all the licensing for the new port, and are not selling it to any 3rd party providers. ...Keeping it all to themselves.
Oh, that's really annoying.
For instance:http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10/apples-lightning-authentication-allegedly-broken-by-chinese-manufacturers/

1. How to I get rid of the NewsStand and other APPLE icons I do not want on my desktop shortcuts? It will not allow me to move them to folders or uninstall them (which I get). What is really strange is I can move music to a folder just not Newsstand. The UI seems odd at times.
Here's a trick...
Grab any two apps and create a new folder, this is where you’ll be storing NewsstandThe moment the apps are moved to the folder and the new folder animation is activated, drag Newsstand into the folder
http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/13/move-newsstand-app-into-a-folder-on-ios-5/
Can't get this to work on ios6. Don't know if I'm just to slow but 5 attempts and no go. OH well. Guess I can have a back page of crap apps at least they let me do that.

The "technical" reason that you can't put Newsstand into a folder is because it is not actually an app, it is actually just a highly customized folder. When you click it you'll notice that it opens a folder drawer instead of launching as an app. Since you can't currently put a folder into another folder in iOS, putting Newsstand into a folder is a no go. Doesn't make it any less annoying, but it at least makes sense knowing this.

I've had a few weird issues with my iPhone 5.

A few time the screen has scrambled. I've had keys on the keyboard kind of freeze or appear to be pressed rapidly (although the letter doesn't type 100 time). My brightness is set to not adjust, but sometimes it goes dimmer. And. Yesterday it was reacting very slow to the home button and going in and out of apps. It was pretty slow in doing everything actually.

I keep my multitask tray pretty clean, so it's not that. None if this happens consistently enough though that the folks at apple can evaluate it I'm sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
They can be as greedy as they want to be. I couldn't care less. But how is there a shortage of cables and chargers for this thing? THis far after it's release? I have had a dead battery more times in the past month than I did in four years of owning iphones. It's pretty sad that Apple Stores don't even have power cords for their own products. :thumbdown:

Yesterday it was reacting very slow to the home button and going in and out of apps. It was pretty slow in doing everything actually. I keep my multitask tray pretty clean, so it's not that. None if this happens consistently enough though that the folks at apple can evaluate it I'm sure.
I've had this at times as well.

Yesterday it was reacting very slow to the home button and going in and out of apps. It was pretty slow in doing everything actually. I keep my multitask tray pretty clean, so it's not that. None if this happens consistently enough though that the folks at apple can evaluate it I'm sure.
It's really freezing a lot today. Slide to unlock . . . it doesn't slide. Then a few seconds later it unlocks. I tap the message icon to check some texts. Nothing happens. I tap again. Nothing. I hit the home button. Nothing. I hit the lock button. Nothing. The screen just is frozen on the home screen and I no matter what app is tapped, nothing. Then time passes, and it locks.Is this an iOS6 issue?

It's really freezing a lot today. Slide to unlock . . . it doesn't slide. Then a few seconds later it unlocks. I tap the message icon to check some texts. Nothing happens. I tap again. Nothing. I hit the home button. Nothing. I hit the lock button. Nothing. The screen just is frozen on the home screen and I no matter what app is tapped, nothing. Then time passes, and it locks.Is this an iOS6 issue?
Take it to an Apple store.

I might tomorrow. It likely will not repeat the error though I am sure.

Home button on my 4 is almost useless now.

I have a Galaxy S3 but was going to keep the iphone as an ipod more or less.

You have to press the home button HARD 2 or 3 times before anything happens.

I might tomorrow. It likely will not repeat the error though I am sure.
I was just coming to post the exact same thing. Mine has been lagging a lot lately. I'll receive a text message and then 5 seconds later I'll finally have it beep notifying me. Occasionally it'll freeze for 2-3 seconds when swiping to a different screen as well.
Same issue with receiving texts as well. My 4 performed better and faster than this right now.

Ok. I phone gurus I once again ask for you suggestions/opinions.

1. Wifi Sync does not seem to happen every night. I have a server running iTunes 24/7 and I am plugging the phone in to charge at night. Seems to only be syncing a 1/3 of the time.

2. The phone can't seem to keep an LTE connection. I am on Sprint (no choice) but another phone sitting beside the iPhone 5 can get LTE. Seems for spotty and not able to hold? Anyone else of this issue or maybe I'm missing a connection setting outside of the LTE switch in settings. I hate the way setting in iOS are done.

3. Videos starting over when connection switches from LTE,3G, or WiFi. Happens in Crackle, Xfinity player, YouTube, and even when streaming the Live stream from Apple just now.

4. How do I close a hung app while I am in it? Example: I turned on Genius in the app store. Now after every search it hangs. I have to switch apps then close from the suspended app bar. Can force a close any other way?

5. I hate that the main screen does not rotate to the direction I am holding the phone. Is there a hidden setting for this?

6. Any dock mode apps that keep the screen on while it is on power? Anyway to keep screen on while on power?

Edited:

Loving the phone so far Not getting the love people have for IOS. Seems buggy all the way through. Great piece of hardware as far as the feel, size, etc but the OS just blows.

Even more issues:

Started having video issues with the Keyboard today. Think this has been mentioned before.

Auto-Brightness does not seem to work at all.

I also saw where I should expect purple halos on pictures also...yay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Acting up on me again today. Are people out there having issues as well? Is it iOS6 or the phone itself?
Weird you bumped this, I was also briefly having issues this morning. No idea if it's a software or hardware issue. It hasn't been a big enough issue yet to warrant bringing it into the store or anything, but after owning iPhones 3 and 4 with not a single complaint, it is a little disappointing to already be having issues with the 5.

1. Wifi Sync does not seem to happen every night. I have a server running iTunes 24/7 and I am plugging the phone in to charge at night. Seems to only be syncing a 1/3 of the time.

2. The phone can't seem to keep an LTE connection. I am on Sprint (no choice) but another phone sitting beside the iPhone 5 can get LTE. Seems for spotty and not able to hold? Anyone else of this issue or maybe I'm missing a connection setting outside of the LTE switch in settings. I hate the way setting in iOS are done.

3. Videos starting over when connection switches from LTE,3G, or WiFi. Happens in Crackle, Xfinity player, YouTube, and even when streaming the Live stream from Apple just now.

4. How do I close a hung app while I am in it? Example: I turned on Genius in the app store. Now after every search it hangs. I have to switch apps then close from the suspended app bar. Can force a close any other way?

5. I hate that the main screen does not rotate to the direction I am holding the phone. Is there a hidden setting for this?

6. Any dock mode apps that keep the screen on while it is on power? Anyway to keep screen on while on power?

Edited:

Loving the phone so far Not getting the love people have for IOS. Seems buggy all the way through. Great piece of hardware as far as the feel, size, etc but the OS just blows.

Even more issues:

Started having video issues with the Keyboard today. Think this has been mentioned before.

You really need to hold out for the jailbreak. It still could be a couple months though. There aren't really any fixes for what you show above in stock os.

Acting up on me again today. Are people out there having issues as well? Is it iOS6 or the phone itself?
Weird you bumped this, I was also briefly having issues this morning. No idea if it's a software or hardware issue. It hasn't been a big enough issue yet to warrant bringing it into the store or anything, but after owning iPhones 3 and 4 with not a single complaint, it is a little disappointing to already be having issues with the 5.
It is definitely a software issue. iOS6 DEFINITELY is buggy compared to iOS 5.x. Have been experiencing hanging Apps and such that simply didn't happen under the old iOS on my 4s. it's bugging me and one of the things i loved about iOS was it simply worked fluidly... now it's got a few issues. They're minor, but they're there.

I have had a lot of issues. I'm assuming it is ios6 and will hopefully be patched soon. If it ends up being the iPhone 5 hardware (keyboard graphic glitches) I will be very disappointed. I have went from loving the phone to meh. Still the hardware is amazing even with strange os.

Edited:

Even more issues:

You really need to hold out for the jailbreak. It still could be a couple months though. There aren't really any fixes for what you show above in stock os.
I've been looking at the jailbreaks from what I have read it makes the phone unstable. So my understanding since that is the case you need to make sure to have a untethered jailbreak just so you can reset your phone.I have custom roms on all my other hardware that is very stable. I just didn't get the impression jailbreaking was stable at any time.

Edited:

Even more issues:

I've been looking at the jailbreaks from what I have read it makes the phone unstable. So my understanding since that is the case you need to make sure to have a untethered jailbreak just so you can reset your phone.I have custom roms on all my other hardware that is very stable. I just didn't get the impression jailbreaking was stable at any time.
Then go get an GalaxyS3. :shrug: I'd rather have the hardware and deal with the minor occasional bumps, most of which are dealt with quickly. We are lucky there are choices.

Edited:

Even more issues:

Then go get an GalaxyS3. :shrug: I'd rather have the hardware and deal with the minor occasional bumps, most of which are dealt with quickly. We are lucky there are choices.
Standard answer from a fan boy. I'd rather not discuss the issues just ignore them. Reminds me of a review I was reading on the Surface. They pointed out that if you held it on the edges with the power connection it got in the way. Then of course it is never mentioned in their iPad review. Which if you hold on the edge with the power connecter it is in the way. I have to admit you guys are funny though.

I don't consider the device not being able to maintain a steady data connection a minor glitch. So when are these fixes coming?

I have had a lot of issues. I'm assuming it is ios6 and will hopefully be patched soon. If it ends up being the iPhone 5 hardware (keyboard graphic glitches) I will be very disappointed. I have went from loving the phone to meh. Still the hardware is amazing even with strange os.
Yea, its disappointing, although today no issues. Weird. :shrug:

5. The main screen stays in the upright position no matter what. No side view at all.As far as videos go, YouTube a little more than a year ago changed how videos load. YouTube used to be awesome because the whole video would load so you could open multiple videos at once and allow them to load. Now, only a minute or so will load for a "preview". You have to watch the video for it to keep loading. Sucks.

5. The main screen stays in the upright position no matter what. No side view at all.As far as videos go, YouTube a little more than a year ago changed how videos load. YouTube used to be awesome because the whole video would load so you could open multiple videos at once and allow them to load. Now, only a minute or so will load for a "preview". You have to watch the video for it to keep loading. Sucks.
So if I made it through the "preview" period then when I lose my connection it would know where i'm at. I wonder if that is the same issue with Crackle, HBO and Xfinity? Now that I think about it the issue does seem to be at the beginning of the movies or shows.

So if I made it through the "preview" period then when I lose my connection it would know where i'm at. I wonder if that is the same issue with Crackle, HBO and Xfinity? Now that I think about it the issue does seem to be at the beginning of the movies or shows.
Only thing I can say to that is to load up the same YouTube video on your phone and on your computer at home... compare.

5. The main screen stays in the upright position no matter what. No side view at all.
Free Cydia Tweak for this is IconRotatorhttp://www.iphonehacks.com/2012/02/iconrotator-jailbreak-tweak-rotates-app-icons-home-screen.html
Nice. That's what I was looking for. I just don't want to make my phone any more unstable that in currently is with the current ios6. After Apple fixes all the bugs in the OS we can jailbreak and find the stable jailbroken apps.

Users who are viewing this thread