What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (1 Viewer)

You like your headphone variety don't ya?
I originally had the Klipsch.  After 5 years they eventually gave up the goose.  I bought the Bose because I wanted something I could mow with, take conference calls with, etc.  more multi purpose.  My wife had the Jaybirds for running.  She took my Bose as it let ambient noise in while running, so I took her Jaybirds.

The problem was if I was traveling or somewhere random and had an impromptu conference call they were a hassle to dig out of my bag, make sure they were charged blah blah, so I grabbed some AirPods.  I through them in my pocket and keep the case in my laptop bag, so I just throw it in my ear when needed.

Financially I am not proud of myself.

So I have had my X since launch day, 6 months now.  I only started using iPhones with the 6S, prior I was Dndroid all the way.  It feels so awkward to use an older model with the fingerprint button. The gesture to scan the face is muscle memory now and I don't even notice.  Though in comparison to Android I am so far removed that I can't compare, but to other iPhones, this is my favorite.

So...any down for a phone order tonight?  Which one, if so?
Will be getting my wife a new one, XS Max or whatever they are calling the Plus now. Gotta switch her off Verizon though first, our house is in a "variable coverage zone" which basically just means Verizon phones don't work for #### in this area anymore.

Will be getting my wife a new one, XS Max or whatever they are calling the Plus now. Gotta switch her off Verizon though first, our house is in a "variable coverage zone" which basically just means Verizon phones don't work for #### in this area anymore.
You know both the new iPhones have dual sims, right?  Can carry Verizon and another carrier on the same phone or switch, etc...

I am in.  Not sure between the Xs or max yet.  I had a 7+ so size of the Max would be the same however I like to carry it in my pocket also.

I just got the X two months ago.  And I still don't like the size.  Too big.  I have to take it out of my pocket almost every time I sit.  Then again, I always carried thin wallets, light keys, no change, etc.  

I had read on macrumors that there was going to be a smaller version and I was excited to get it but it didn't happen.

I have an iPhone 6 and I'm not buying a new iPhone. I'm hoping Microsoft surprises everyone on October 2nd with a phone of some kind. I'd really like to see what Microsoft could bring out in the phone arena... as long as it is cheaper than any iPhone. $750 for the cheapest new phone? Crazy... that is why I bought 3 more shares of AAPL.

The newer Sony Xperia phones look pretty darn nice with an awesome camera for much cheaper but these phones use Google. I cannot have a Mac computer, Windows computer for work, and a Google phone. I can't be in all three ecosystems.

Bought the two I expected.  On Xs and one Xs max.  A feature that I'm actually very excited about but I know not a lot of people will Care is the dual SIM.  That is going to help my personal travel and work arrangements very much. 

Chemical, I will likely have a iPhone 7 plus available if you get to looking.  

Bought the two I expected.  On Xs and one Xs max.  A feature that I'm actually very excited about but I know not a lot of people will Care is the dual SIM.  That is going to help my personal travel and work arrangements very much. 

Chemical, I will likely have a iPhone 7 plus available if you get to looking.  
I am ready.........I bought a 5s from Keerok for $25- and just want to avoid a contract reup or 30 monthly payments for a new phone.  I am heading overseas for good in 2020, so want to get more than 16gb storage phone for now. 

ragincajun said:
I may have a rose gold 7+ 128gb kept in a case and screen protector since new.  I know... rose gold....

@Chemical X
listening.....i don't care about color, will put in case with screen protector.  hoping for fbg professional courtesy price too.

Anyone having connectivity issues with the Xs series?  My LTE speeds are non existent.
Major cluster#### by Apple. We bought an Xs Max and an Xs for my wife and mother-in-law, I have literally held them next to my one year old X and mine works fine and theirs can't connect to anything. Turning off and on, airplane mode and other quick fixes barely last more than a few minutes before the problem recurs.

Got off the phone with AT&T tech support yet again today and they said take it to an Apple store to swap it and that they have had tons of people calling with the same issues.

Major cluster#### by Apple. We bought an Xs Max and an Xs for my wife and mother-in-law, I have literally held them next to my one year old X and mine works fine and theirs can't connect to anything. Turning off and on, airplane mode and other quick fixes barely last more than a few minutes before the problem recurs.

Got off the phone with AT&T tech support yet again today and they said take it to an Apple store to swap it and that they have had tons of people calling with the same issues.
Just read the below this morning (full link below on this and other issues with XS and how to resolve)

- But if you’ve been impacted, a full restore via iTunes without using a backup can reportedly fix both the LTE speed and Wi-Fi connectivity issues completely!

https://www.idropnews.com/news/iphone/most-common-iphone-xs-complaints-and-how-to-resolve-them/84634/8/?utm_source=tapp&utm_medium=tapp&utm_campaign=tapp100318&utm_term=tapp

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read the below this morning (full link below on this and other issues with XS and how to resolve)

- But if you’ve been impacted, a full restore via iTunes without using a backup can reportedly fix both the LTE speed and Wi-Fi connectivity issues completely!

https://www.idropnews.com/news/iphone/most-common-iphone-xs-complaints-and-how-to-resolve-them/84634/8/?utm_source=tapp&utm_medium=tapp&utm_campaign=tapp100318&utm_term=tapp
Thanks, will try that out.

IOS 12 is a cluster. Killing battery life again in older models. Right when I was going to buy the XS. I hate what Apple has become 
My wife decides she wants a ####### iphone after 5 years of android.  For no real reason other than she misses out on some of the group text features in imessage.  She gets it and starts configuring it and immediately regrets the decision.  I haven't used an iphone in ages. It's absolutely astounding how little progress their UI has made in what must be a decade.  You still have literally no way to get a embedded calendar/mail/text notification on a page in 2018!  The pull down notification bar is a ####### abortion.

My wife decides she wants a ####### iphone after 5 years of android.  For no real reason other than she misses out on some of the group text features in imessage.  She gets it and starts configuring it and immediately regrets the decision.  I haven't used an iphone in ages. It's absolutely astounding how little progress their UI has made in what must be a decade.  You still have literally no way to get a embedded calendar/mail/text notification on a page in 2018!  The pull down notification bar is a ####### abortion.
I have been an iPhone guys since the iphone 3g.  Probably going to switch to an unlocked galaxy 9 or 9+.  Iphone has grown stale and I am not going to spend $1k on a new phone.   

Had 2 days of draining to zero quickly after the update and now it’s fine. Have no  idea why. There are plenty of articles out there of people experiencing the same

Had 2 days of draining to zero quickly after the update and now it’s fine. Have no  idea why. There are plenty of articles out there of people experiencing the same
Could have been spotlight re-indexing the data on your phone.  I've heard this can drain battery extremely quickly for a few days then goes away.

tommyGunZ said:
My iPhone X is extremely snappy after the iOS 12 update.  
My 6S is snappy AF on iOS 12 (it was almost unusable on iOS 11) but it clearly has no idea what the actual battery remaining is.  It will drain down to 1% in about 2-3 hours and then sit at 1% for another couple hours. Been that way for a few weeks now (installed it on day one)

I was in a mall Saturday, shocked at how crowded the Apple Store was, it was like a line to get in. Are consumers this stupid? 

I had my iPhone 6 for about 4.5 years. I got it right when it came out and rode it into the ground. I get Apple Care, then destroy the phone right as it is about to expire, and ride the new one for another 2 years. I got the X about 4 months ago and I'll try to keep it through 2022. 

I was in a mall Saturday, shocked at how crowded the Apple Store was, it was like a line to get in. Are consumers this stupid? 
Ignoring your comment w/re to consumers being stupid, I too am always blown away by how packed the Apple store is in San Diego when I walk by.  It's anecdotal of course, but yet another reason to be bullish on the company.  Those folks aren't buying a $5 cup of coffee; most are spending several hundred dollars. Add in the fact that the billions of Apple users are now (mostly) committed to Apple's services, and you understand why that part of the company has been going gangbusters the last few quarters.  And unlike many of their tech competitors, Apple isn't making the majority of their revenue by selling your data and compromising your personal security.  They've gone the opposite direction, and forgone lots of opportunities for profit the last decade in favor of that security.  I think as that issue becomes more prevelant moving forward, Apple is in the sweet spot.

BOATLOADS.

Ignoring your comment w/re to consumers being stupid, I too am always blown away by how packed the Apple store is in San Diego when I walk by.  It's anecdotal of course, but yet another reason to be bullish on the company.  Those folks aren't buying a $5 cup of coffee; most are spending several hundred dollars. Add in the fact that the billions of Apple users are now (mostly) committed to Apple's services, and you understand why that part of the company has been going gangbusters the last few quarters.  And unlike many of their tech competitors, Apple isn't making the majority of their revenue by selling your data and compromising your personal security.  They've gone the opposite direction, and forgone lots of opportunities for profit the last decade in favor of that security.  I think as that issue becomes more prevelant moving forward, Apple is in the sweet spot.

BOATLOADS.

Agree on all points (consumers are still stupid in my opinion, regardless though). 

They have a very deep moat, that thing in your pocket and mine. The only real threat to them is someone displacing that, which I'd think is borderline impossible in the next 5 years.

I honestly don't like the company, they do every little thing to nickel and dime the consumer - I'll be pretty happy when someone displaces them one day in the distant future. 

I had my iPhone 6 for about 4.5 years. I got it right when it came out and rode it into the ground. I get Apple Care, then destroy the phone right as it is about to expire, and ride the new one for another 2 years. I got the X about 4 months ago and I'll try to keep it through 2022. 
The lines are usually more for service/help than purchasing. If you think about how many millions of Apple devices are within 30 mins of any given store, and that store is the first line of service. Even here in Germantown (nice suburb of memphis), the store is usually 2-4 days out on appointments, but accept walk ins too (usually with a wait, hence the line).

However when new products are released a LOT of folks like to try them out before spending $500... $1000.... $2000. That’s when the sales/browsing lines form. 

I’m not quite as good as you on extracting time from my phone, but I use it for everything (2 full charges per day on average)... and I’m techie who has a soft spot for latest and greatest. I’m usually good for 2-3 years with a phone. Though this X isn’t even beginning to feel dated yet so it may last even longer. 

I'm about to get a new iphone and realize the X is the lowest should go with the bigger screen form and no home button, etc.   My question is the Xs worth the extra $100 (basically an extra $5 per month for a couple yrs).     Visually they don't look any different to me.   Once I get this new phone I will keep for a while...I'm not a regular upgrader.   For perspective I'm rocking a 5s presently.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm about to get a new iphone and realize the X is the lowest should go with the bigger screen form and no home button, etc.   My question is the Xs worth the extra $100 (basically an extra $5 per month for a couple yrs).     Visually they don't look any different to me.   Once I get this new phone I will keep for a while...I'm not a regular upgrader.   For perspective I'm rocking a 5s presently.
I have a X with 256gb. I wanted 512gb then but they didn’t offer it. They do on the XS. 

Not sure what other game changers there are...selfie camera has Portrait Mode?

I wouldn’t mind having a XS Max as I loved my 6+ besides the bs Touch Disease that happened due to lack of structural integrity and Apple screwing up. The X size is great but I like the extra real estate.  

Taking my second X back tonight because the same type of audio problem.  Don't get sound on some texts and call audio also goes out intermittently. It works most of the time but that's the problem, when you go in, they can't find anything wrong with it.  Maddening.  When they finally swapped out my first one, the phone they brought from the back was not in a new package and my thinking was that it was a refurb.  And that it had the same problem.

My guess is that they refurbed an X with the same problem as mine and once whoever tests it before repurchase or exchange, they think it's fine.  Both of mine could work normally for a few days and until they inevitably screw up again.

It will also ring when on silent sometimes.  Nice unsuspecting wake up call.  And has rung on loud volume even though it's on like one bar.

I also get a loud cracking sound occasionally when a text comes in, annoying and again, should not happen with f'n $1000 phone.

No luck on the restore, still having the same problems. Taking our Xs Max and Xs to an Apple store in the next few days to get swapped out and hopefully we don't get lemons this time.

My wife and I are upgrading and both getting iPhone X.  The 64gb will be fine for me but trying to decide if the 256gb for her is needed or not.   

She doesn't download movies or anything like that but she does take a ton of pictures and loves the mode where it fires off 10 pics in a second for some reason (women). And she also is old school and doesn't overly trust the cloud and wants to have all pics on her phone or downloaded to an external brick hard drive (women).   

Anyways, assume with all that it's worth it to just get 256 for her or still a waste of a couple hundred bucks? 

Rodrigo Duterte said:
Taking my second X back tonight because the same type of audio problem.  Don't get sound on some texts and call audio also goes out intermittently. It works most of the time but that's the problem, when you go in, they can't find anything wrong with it.  Maddening.  When they finally swapped out my first one, the phone they brought from the back was not in a new package and my thinking was that it was a refurb.  And that it had the same problem.

My guess is that they refurbed an X with the same problem as mine and once whoever tests it before repurchase or exchange, they think it's fine.  Both of mine could work normally for a few days and until they inevitably screw up again.

It will also ring when on silent sometimes.  Nice unsuspecting wake up call.  And has rung on loud volume even though it's on like one bar.

I also get a loud cracking sound occasionally when a text comes in, annoying and again, should not happen with f'n $1000 phone.
Have zero of these issues. Very strange. 

Anyone know if an Apple store will put a new battery in a 6s for $29 if the battery in it now is not the orig factory battery?

My wife and I are upgrading and both getting iPhone X.  The 64gb will be fine for me but trying to decide if the 256gb for her is needed or not.   

She doesn't download movies or anything like that but she does take a ton of pictures and loves the mode where it fires off 10 pics in a second for some reason (women). And she also is old school and doesn't overly trust the cloud and wants to have all pics on her phone or downloaded to an external brick hard drive (women).   

Anyways, assume with all that it's worth it to just get 256 for her or still a waste of a couple hundred bucks? 
I'm only on a 64gb 6S so Im not sure if the X's photos are larger or not but I have around 5,000 photos on mine and have around 13GB remaining still.  I have to download/delete a bunch off every 6-9 months or so when it gets too full. If you can swing a 256 go for it, but 64 is probably fine unless she really hates downloading/deleting. 

Users who are viewing this thread