What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (4 Viewers)

Anyone have the iPhone XS... not the Max? I'm rocking the iPhone 6 and it's still pretty good but not sure I'd be able to get $150-$200 this time next year for the new phones. I'm not a fan of the XR, and playing around with the XS, it seems like a pretty good phone. My 6 is 4.5 years old. I've been going through what I use my phone for and, it's not much, overall. I have the 128GB version and I don't see myself having many games on the new phone, so 64GB seems to be fine. Just wondering if the $800 or so for the XS is worth it... thinking I'd have it for, at least, another 4.5 years.

I have owned 4 iphones, and 4 androids (samsung galaxy x2, lg, oneplus).  For the last 4 years I carried both simultaneously (one work one personal).  For my own use and utility - hands down android all day every day.

However, after leaving my oneplus3 on the bench after coaching my kids bball game last night I realize I am now surrounded by apple users in my personal circle.  New job, and a few friends buying X's.  The texting thing alone may be the switch.  Why apple and android texting isn't the same I don't know, why apple users cant have android users in text groups larger than 10 i dont know.... but the fact is I communicate almost non stop via text for work and with friends.  

So screw it.. I'm going to go buy an iphone.  Without spending much time researching, is there a consensus on the new trio of iphones?  X/Xr/Xs?

Mario Kart said:
Anyone have the iPhone XS... not the Max? I'm rocking the iPhone 6 and it's still pretty good but not sure I'd be able to get $150-$200 this time next year for the new phones. I'm not a fan of the XR, and playing around with the XS, it seems like a pretty good phone. My 6 is 4.5 years old. I've been going through what I use my phone for and, it's not much, overall. I have the 128GB version and I don't see myself having many games on the new phone, so 64GB seems to be fine. Just wondering if the $800 or so for the XS is worth it... thinking I'd have it for, at least, another 4.5 years.
I like it a lot (came from the ip7 which my son now has).  The reason I went xs over xr was the build quality and materials knowing it will last longer.  Screen is great and size is just right.

I have owned 4 iphones, and 4 androids (samsung galaxy x2, lg, oneplus).  For the last 4 years I carried both simultaneously (one work one personal).  For my own use and utility - hands down android all day every day.

However, after leaving my oneplus3 on the bench after coaching my kids bball game last night I realize I am now surrounded by apple users in my personal circle.  New job, and a few friends buying X's.  The texting thing alone may be the switch.  Why apple and android texting isn't the same I don't know, why apple users cant have android users in text groups larger than 10 i dont know.... but the fact is I communicate almost non stop via text for work and with friends.  

So screw it.. I'm going to go buy an iphone.  Without spending much time researching, is there a consensus on the new trio of iphones?  X/Xr/Xs?
Doesn’t seem like enough discount yet to get the x over the xs IMO.  

For me the steel vs aluminum build and liking the size of the xs vs the xr better.  Yes there are other features favoring the xs as well (cameras, screen resolution...) but for me it was mostly size and build to feel better about it lasting.

Edit:  I was also mostly an Android guy.  Went through most of the Samsung’s and an htc evo.  Gave in with the rest of the family having iPhones and iPads around and I was already the one managing iTunes and back ups and stuff.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Mario Kart said:
I went from the 6 to the XS and I love it. No complaints at all. The display is outstanding. No home button took a little getting used to, but now I certainly don't miss it. Definitely recommend, especially coming from a 6.

I think the XR is the sweet spot personally in terms of bang for the buck at the moment.  Loving mine and I don't miss any of the extra features of the X/XS to the point that I'd be willing to shell out another $250 or more for it.

I went from the 6 to the XS and I love it. No complaints at all. The display is outstanding. No home button took a little getting used to, but now I certainly don't miss it. Definitely recommend, especially coming from a 6.
The only time I miss the home button is in the car...for any long trip I end up taking the password/face ID lock off so I don't have to lean over every time I want to skip a song or pull up GPS.

That was great with fingerprint ID...love Face ID for everything else...but unless your phone is angled the right way in a car dock its useless for that.

Mario Kart said:
I have the XS MAX and my friend bought the XS the same day. She is not by any means a person who gets hung up on techie stuff like I do but she has raved over the phone (upgraded from a 6 also).  So, I think for it to be very noticeable from the lament perspective, it suggests it is a very good recommended upgrade. Hope that helps and would be happy to answer any specific questions if you have any. 

I think the XR is the sweet spot personally in terms of bang for the buck at the moment.  Loving mine and I don't miss any of the extra features of the X/XS to the point that I'd be willing to shell out another $250 or more for it.
I think you are correct

I'm pretty sure the conclusion of your post is the answer to the bolded.  With iPhones and Androids becoming less and less distinguishable over the years, the iMessage texting issue has to be one of the biggest things keeping iPhone users iPhone users and new customers (especially teens) not even considering Android.

For me, I really like having the 2x zoom camera and I don’t think that’s available on the Xr.

I traded in a 6s plus for the Xs. I like the smaller size and the screen doesn’t seem much smaller. 
interesting...i have the 6s plus and may have killed it today. So I may be in the market ASAP. I was wondering if the screen size was a much noticeable difference between them. 

Does anyone feel like weighing in before I go shopping? VR? XS? XS Max? 

Don't do much on it besides work emails (i like the larger screen b/c I look at layout/design PDFs a lot), occasional games but nothing resource hogging.

The camera is important b/c i do shoot photos for work purposes—not final but good enough for placement—and it has really become my main family camera. Same for Video, I want to go live and do short-form video more and so good capabilities with that. 

.....oh, and solitaire. gotta have something to do on the crapper 

I'm kinda thinking that any model is good for most of this, just don't know the specifics between them.  

interesting...i have the 6s plus and may have killed it today. So I may be in the market ASAP. I was wondering if the screen size was a much noticeable difference between them. 

Don't do much on it besides work emails (i like the larger screen b/c I look at layout/design PDFs a lot), occasional games but nothing resource hogging.

The camera is important b/c i do shoot photos for work purposes—not final but good enough for placement—and it has really become my main family camera. Same for Video, I want to go live and do short-form video more and so good capabilities with that. 

I'm kinda thinking that any model is good for most of this, just don't know the specifics between them.  
I wanted to go with a smaller size from the 6s plus, and the Xs has worked out great for me.  It sounds like the bigger size may be better for your needs.  I would have gone with the Xr due to price if size wasn't the issue.

Also, if you can get your current phone functional, Apple is doing a nice trade in promotion.  I got $250 for mine, and they did not do a very close examination.  

I traditionally buy my phones through my carrier (ATT), is there any benifit from buying straight from apple? Can they link my existing plan? 

I went from a 6+ to X when it was released. I like a big screen and the X screen is about the same size as 6+. The bonus is the whole phone is smaller to fit in your pocket better but you don’t sacrifice screen real estate. 

The cameras and OLED screen on the X and Xs are better than the Xr. 

I traditionally buy my phones through my carrier (ATT), is there any benifit from buying straight from apple? Can they link my existing plan? 
Apple has a trade in program going on right now.  I did not use a payment plan, so my phone is unlocked, and I did not have to pay an activation fee.  They pulled my sim card, put in in the new phone, and I was up and running.

I tired to buy through ATT, but they were not doing any deals at the time.

Apple has a trade in program going on right now.  I did not use a payment plan, so my phone is unlocked, and I did not have to pay an activation fee.  They pulled my sim card, put in in the new phone, and I was up and running.

I tired to buy through ATT, but they were not doing any deals at the time.
might go this route. thx

OK all, I'm new to the iPhone world.  Sprint was giving $10 off per month on their lease deals. I needed an upgrade so I am getting an iPhone 7 for 42 cents a month.  I figured that was a low risk way to see if I can/want to get used to the Apple ecosystem.

Question as I'm looking for accessories.  I like to have a surplus of charging cords, and while everyone else in my house has an iPhone, they tend to lose them so I'm looking at stock up.  In reading online, I was going to get some generic ones from Amazon, but they have bad reviews in that they don't last long.  So I was going to pay full price and get them from Apple, but they have bad reviews on their own website.  What are the best lightning cables to get for the price?  I've never had a problem with Android cables, so I don't know if Apple really has an issue with their cables or these are not legit reviews, and I don't need to worry about them actually ceasing to work.

OK all, I'm new to the iPhone world.  Sprint was giving $10 off per month on their lease deals. I needed an upgrade so I am getting an iPhone 7 for 42 cents a month.  I figured that was a low risk way to see if I can/want to get used to the Apple ecosystem.

Question as I'm looking for accessories.  I like to have a surplus of charging cords, and while everyone else in my house has an iPhone, they tend to lose them so I'm looking at stock up.  In reading online, I was going to get some generic ones from Amazon, but they have bad reviews in that they don't last long.  So I was going to pay full price and get them from Apple, but they have bad reviews on their own website.  What are the best lightning cables to get for the price?  I've never had a problem with Android cables, so I don't know if Apple really has an issue with their cables or these are not legit reviews, and I don't need to worry about them actually ceasing to work.
Anker braided cables are great. Tons of styles and colors on Amazon. 

Anker braided cables are great. Tons of styles and colors on Amazon. 
I love them as well...the only reason I didn’t recommend is they have all ended up not working well with my sons iPhone 7 after a year or so (yet work well on my iPhone XS)

Long ### story, but after at least a dozen ####### trips to the Apple store, no joke, they admitted something was wrong with my phone (X) and switched it out for an XS, which they had to order from corporate and fill out a bunch of paperwork and ####.  Pulling teeth would be an understatement.  Even the head tech nerd said he's only seen/done this 3 times in his 11 years, where a phone was proved faulty and another one issued.  True or not, it was ridiculous no matter how you look at it.  Took me having to make a blog of notes about every bug that came up, documenting times and specifying each and everything.  They sent me to AT&T at one point, trying to pin it on them, which was nothing but a ton of wasted time.

And why the hell couldn't they switch me out from one in the store?  Especially after all that hassle and run around?  Nope, had to get it from Cuppertino or wherever.  So much red tape and bs. Apple customer service is nowhere near what it used to be.

Long ### story, but after at least a dozen ####### trips to the Apple store, no joke, they admitted something was wrong with my phone (X) and switched it out for an XS, which they had to order from corporate and fill out a bunch of paperwork and ####.  Pulling teeth would be an understatement.  Even the head tech nerd said he's only seen/done this 3 times in his 11 years, where a phone was proved faulty and another one issued.  True or not, it was ridiculous no matter how you look at it.  Took me having to make a blog of notes about every bug that came up, documenting times and specifying each and everything.  They sent me to AT&T at one point, trying to pin it on them, which was nothing but a ton of wasted time.

And why the hell couldn't they switch me out from one in the store?  Especially after all that hassle and run around?  Nope, had to get it from Cuppertino or wherever.  So much red tape and bs. Apple customer service is nowhere near what it used to be.
Probably because it’s a refurbished XS. I’ve had this happen with known bugs too on my 6+ where they wouldn’t do the right thing and just replace with 6S+. Every 6+ is prone to dislodging one circuit board as it’s not attached properly. They changed how it was done before that and of course fixed it in the 6S+. But it’s the customers fault because they blame it on a bent chassis.  :rolleyes:  Whatever. Then why does the new refurbished one do the same thing out of the box. BS. 

Bizzare. I was in the Apple Store here in Memphis a couple months ago. Screen was broken and it apparently required replacing the speaker too.

Then they noticed the battery was “consumed” because it was ~80%. I use the #### out of my phone so this doesn’t surprise me. 

They ended up just giving me a new iPhone X free of charge. I think I was supposed to may $29 or something for the screen but I never did. They just gave me the new phone and said have a good one! :lol:  

Anyone placed a preorder for the 11 Pro?  What color are you rolling with?

I'm between midnight green and space gray.

I don't like how heavy these phones are getting. 226g for the 11 Pro is 20g more than my already too heavy XS max

6s Plus was my favorite iphone
I'm not sure why they won't make some smaller phones. I'd be fine with the size of the 11, but my wife isn't. She would upgrade from her SE, but doesn't want a phone that big. I have to imagine that there are plenty of people, especially women, who would prefer a smaller phone.

The only smartphones I've ever had have been Android phones. I would love to switch to an iPhone, especially with the new cameras, but it's pretty frustrating to know that next year they'll likely change to USB-C for charging/accessories and add the capability to charge devices through contact with the iPhone like some of the newer Android phones. I'm not one drop a bunch of money on a new phone every year, so buying the iPhone 11 now and then going to USB-C next year would be really frustrating.

Has anyone seen a reason as to why they have three cameras on the new iPhones? I know each has a different 'focus,' but why can't they make one camera better? I just don't really like the look of the three eyes on the back. (I have a X Max, so I am likely not getting a new one this year anyway.)

Has anyone seen a reason as to why they have three cameras on the new iPhones? I know each has a different 'focus,' but why can't they make one camera better? I just don't really like the look of the three eyes on the back. (I have a X Max, so I am likely not getting a new one this year anyway.)
I mean unless you want a huge lens sticking out that you pull in or out you have to make three different ones otherwise you have to do all that work in digital post processing.  

My family is pissed they obsoleted the 6.  They want small and light phones and I thought they would put out a smaller one on this cycle. 

I have the 6s+. I just can’t think of any real reason to upgrade. I know I sound like an old man but is there any real reason to?
Speed and battery. I had a bunch of 6es and a couple 6s/6 plus just based on the upgrade cycles. Moved to a bunch of 8/8 pluses and they are way better. I’m starting to feel like my 8+ is starting to react a bit slower but I don’t see any reason to upgrade. AT&T used to sell refurbished phones on their site but they don’t anymore so my last couple upgrades were through Amazon. Cheaper and no monthly payments if you don’t want the latest.

I have the 6s+. I just can’t think of any real reason to upgrade. I know I sound like an old man but is there any real reason to?
This may be the final time to get a good trade in value of your 6s+. I had the 6 for 4.5 years and bought the XS while Apple was giving the $150 trade in before they took that promotion away. Overall, I'm happy, however spending $850 on a phone every 4.5 years is the suck... if that is going to be the new normal.

My family is pissed they obsoleted the 6.  They want small and light phones and I thought they would put out a smaller one on this cycle. 
Dimensions

iPhone 6:

5.44 x 2.64 x 0.27 inches (138.1 x 67 x 6.9 mm)

iPhone X:

5.65 x 2.79 x 0.30 inches (143.6 x 70.9 x 7.7 mm)

X is barely larger overall but the screen is much bigger at 5.8 inches vs. 4.7 inches. 

X is definitely heavier at 6.14oz (174g) vs. 4.55oz (129g). 

I got a 7 and I feel the same.  I do need to replace the battery, though, as I can barely get through the day right now. 

Think I'm going to make a change from an Android phone on the ATT network to the iPhone 11 on the Verizon network. 

How miserable am I going to be trying to get my contacts ported over and setup the same apps/etc?

Think I'm going to make a change from an Android phone on the ATT network to the iPhone 11 on the Verizon network. 

How miserable am I going to be trying to get my contacts ported over and setup the same apps/etc?
Apple has Move to IOS app in the Play Store that should make it easy. Never used it so I don’t have firsthand knowledge.

It’s not bad but some of your contacts with android phones won’t be able to receive your texts unless they delete you as a contact and re-add you.

I use Google for all my contacts on iPhone to avoid situations like this.  

Johnny Rock said:
Dimensions

iPhone 6:

5.44 x 2.64 x 0.27 inches (138.1 x 67 x 6.9 mm)

iPhone X:

5.65 x 2.79 x 0.30 inches (143.6 x 70.9 x 7.7 mm)

X is barely larger overall but the screen is much bigger at 5.8 inches vs. 4.7 inches. 

X is definitely heavier at 6.14oz (174g) vs. 4.55oz (129g). 
The spring refresh will have a smaller phone apparently

Users who are viewing this thread