What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (1 Viewer)

mmWave 5G only on the iPhone 12 Pro Max

A new report from Fast Company, citing “a wireless industry source,” says that only the largest and most expensive iPhone 12 model—the 6.7-inch iPhone 12 Pro Max—will support millimeter-wave 5G. All the iPhone 12 models will support 5G in the sub-6GHz spectrum. The source says only the largest phone has the size necessary for the antenna array used in mmWave and the larger battery necessary to offset the increased power draw it requires.

Well then, Super Pro Max it is I guess.
Ugh... I hope this isn't the case. If so I'm going to need to hold off until I can handle the phones in person and see if the Super Duper Mega Pro Max is doable, or if I'm holding off for another upgrade cycle until they put mmWave in normal size phones. 

Ugh... I hope this isn't the case. If so I'm going to need to hold off until I can handle the phones in person and see if the Super Duper Mega Pro Max is doable, or if I'm holding off for another upgrade cycle until they put mmWave in normal size phones. 
So looking at images, it looks like the 6.7 is only a hair bigger than the 6.3.

Seems they removed some bezel to increase the screen size.

So looking at images, it looks like the 6.7 is only a hair bigger than the 6.3.

Seems they removed some bezel to increase the screen size.
Yeah but I wasn't a fan of the 6.3" phone when it was out... felt clown shoes big. We shall see if my perception has changed. 

Yeah but I wasn't a fan of the 6.3" phone when it was out... felt clown shoes big. We shall see if my perception has changed. 
I might've misspoke.

I was thinking the XS Max was 6.3" but it is 6.5" along with the 11 pro max.

The new phone is 6.7" and depending on if they get some extra screen size from a reduced bezel it might not be much bigger than the pro max.

Do you currently have the 11 (6.1")?

I might've misspoke.

I was thinking the XS Max was 6.3" but it is 6.5" along with the 11 pro max.

The new phone is 6.7" and depending on if they get some extra screen size from a reduced bezel it might not be much bigger than the pro max.

Do you currently have the 11 (6.1")?
Currently running an X (5.8"). This would be considerably larger in-hand. As it stands now I can use this phone one-handed if needed. That will no longer be possible with a 6.7" phone. 

Currently running an X (5.8"). This would be considerably larger in-hand. As it stands now I can use this phone one-handed if needed. That will no longer be possible with a 6.7" phone. 
I thought I’d have issues with the X max with one hand but I’m having no issues. I don’t have Otis hands either (I don’t think at least...:unsure:).

culdeus said:
Nearly 6 years later here we are.  
Yup, there was a great reddit post too about AirPods from 4 years ago:

"

I'm not sold on these at all. But....I do remember "iPad, are you ####### kidding me? What is it, a feminine product? What the #### it's a giant iPhone. Who would ever want this. Magical? Jobs has lost his ####### mind. My iPhone is fine. This is another classic Apple money grab"

Since about 2006 Apple has rarely missed on hardware, and they've done some #### that people thought was downright crazy at the time.

I say give it some time, let the stuff actually ship. Let people use it, lets see how it shakes out.

"

Suffice to say, they are incredibly popular now.

iOS 14 is interesting so far. I wouldn’t call it ground breaking in any way. 
Indeed.

I think "Groundbreaking" developments in mobile tech are few and far between at this point. It's a mature tech, and iOS (in particular) is extremely refined.

IMO, The vast majority of users want a stable, intuitive, secure device. Most folks aren't looking to trick out their phone's UI like a Honda Civic. This is particularly true for Apple's audience. Small tweaks and improvements are going to be the order of the day, absent tech advances. For example, gimmicks like "Swipe" keyboards will always retain a cult core audience, but I'd wager that full adoption percentage is in the mid to low single digits. 

I think Apple is perfectly content letting other platforms rush to take risks, often failing, then benefit from their lessons learned as well as additional development time to release a superior iteration of that tech. Take folding phones for example. I have zero doubt we'll see an Apple folding device in the next 2-4 years... but it's clear the technology just isn't there yet. 

Last edited by a moderator:
iOS 14 is interesting so far. I wouldn’t call it ground breaking in any way. 
Yeah, it's pretty underwhelming for me.

Maybe widgets will appeal to me eventually, but I just don't care about them. I don't want to create more pages on my phone (I've been struggling to keep it to 2 pages for a loooong time)

Best part of iOS14 is that they FINALLY have video multitasking (which I’m sure every other platform has had for a decade now). Everything else seems pretty ho-hum. 

The new privacy features are great. Maybe the most underrated updates. Love that I can now block websites from tracking me across other pages at the iOS level. Love that I can go app by app and control whether they can track me all the time, track me when the app is open, or even just track my general location versus specific location.

Privacy is a major reason I switched from Android to iPhone and Apple is reinforcing that decision in a major way.

GroveDiesel said:
The new privacy features are great. Maybe the most underrated updates. Love that I can now block websites from tracking me across other pages at the iOS level. Love that I can go app by app and control whether they can track me all the time, track me when the app is open, or even just track my general location versus specific location.

Privacy is a major reason I switched from Android to iPhone and Apple is reinforcing that decision in a major way.
Android has had closed off task privacy for awhile.  Samsung even added extra layers in their UI overlay, unless I'm not understanding what they did in 14 this is more following. 

Android has had closed off task privacy for awhile.  Samsung even added extra layers in their UI overlay, unless I'm not understanding what they did in 14 this is more following. 
Android doesn’t give nearly the level of control Apple does in this update. Android doesn’t allow you to block websites from tracking you across sites and doesn’t allow you the level of granular control of location tracking that Apples does. And Google themselves take a TON of info from Android users no matter what your settings are, something Apple doesn’t do.

Android doesn’t give nearly the level of control Apple does in this update. Android doesn’t allow you to block websites from tracking you across sites and doesn’t allow you the level of granular control of location tracking that Apples does. And Google themselves take a TON of info from Android users no matter what your settings are, something Apple doesn’t do.
The additional elements discussed here are not set to be implemented until 2021, if ever.  Google has had cross site tracking available to switch off since Q update in 2019 and Brave has this on by default (no tracking).  If the concern is cross site, mozilla is probably the best as it gives you the most granular view of who is wanting what.  Brave, is the best choice IMO all around.  

The additional elements discussed here are not set to be implemented until 2021, if ever.  Google has had cross site tracking available to switch off since Q update in 2019 and Brave has this on by default (no tracking).  If the concern is cross site, mozilla is probably the best as it gives you the most granular view of who is wanting what.  Brave, is the best choice IMO all around.  
Sweet so IOS and Android are equal in security and tracking of users now. Learn something new every day :popcorn

Not sure what you’re referring to specifically. The location control went into effect already. Turning off data sharing is available. Turning off data collection across other websites and apps is available. Turning off personalized ads is available. Having an orange light turn on while an app is using the camera or microphone is available (along with the ability to track which apps have recently done so).

The only thing that got paused until 2021 is turning off tracking across apps and websites by default.

Not sure what you’re referring to specifically. The location control went into effect already. Turning off data sharing is available. Turning off data collection across other websites and apps is available. Turning off personalized ads is available. Having an orange light turn on while an app is using the camera or microphone is available (along with the ability to track which apps have recently done so).

The only thing that got paused until 2021 is turning off tracking across apps and websites by default.
The apps/website cross track thing is the only "new" feature that wasn't available on other platforms and they seem to be backing down.  Whether ####ty free android phones don't have a light for the camera coming on is not something I feel like looking into, though the rest of it was likely possible on Ios using non safari browsers.  Though I haven't looked into how brave was integrated in ios.

Best part of iOS14 is that they FINALLY have video multitasking (which I’m sure every other platform has had for a decade now). Everything else seems pretty ho-hum. 
Which, mind numbingly, does not work with the YouTube app, only YouTube in Safari. 😖

Yeah, it's pretty underwhelming for me.

Maybe widgets will appeal to me eventually, but I just don't care about them. I don't want to create more pages on my phone (I've been struggling to keep it to 2 pages for a loooong time)
Maybe once more apps have home screen compatible widgets it will be better, especially with the stacking option, so you don't lose too much real estate.  I moved all apps/folders that I use to just two pages, then hid all other pages of crap apps.  They are all available in the app library in a nicely organized and searchable manner.  

I made back-tap three times my new screen shot short cut.  Love that.

Any other suggestions or security updates that we need to do manually to take advantage of them?

iOS14 upgrade wiped out all of my playlists.  
I'm guessing you mean the Podcast Playlist.   My Podcast Library is still there, but only the most recent one is showing on the LISTEN NOW tab.......Don't like this.

If i have a podcast with 20 episodes unheard and want to see what those unheard episodes are and choose one in the past (not the most recent), I now have to switch to the "LIBRARY" tab and work thru that.

I'm guessing you mean the Podcast Playlist.   My Podcast Library is still there, but only the most recent one is showing on the LISTEN NOW tab.......Don't like this.

If i have a podcast with 20 episodes unheard and want to see what those unheard episodes are and choose one in the past (not the most recent), I now have to switch to the "LIBRARY" tab and work thru that.
No, it wiped out my music playlists.  

MmWave 5G  on all phones :thumbup:  

New nano ceramic glass for 4x better drop resistance 

A14 bionic is 5nm process, with 6 cores + 4 core GPU - 16 core neural processor all claiming to be at least 50% faster than any other phone. 

Night mode now on all cameras 

Mag safe Qi charging now uses magnets to snap into ideal position for fastest charging. Also now compatible with magnetic car mounts, and works through cases. 

10bit Dolby Motion HDR video in 4K @ 60fps with LiDAR assisted focus. 

Jesus Christ. :lol:  

iPhone 12 / 12 Pro ($999+)

Preorder on oct 16 / ship on 23

iPhone 12 Pro Max ($1099+)  & 12 mini 

nov 6 order / Ship Nov 13 

I'm an Android guy but the regular 12 at $799 or 12 mini at $699 is intriguing. Glad to see these middle options between the $200 phones and the $1000+ phones. 

Wonder if they've tested the wireless charging magnet for prolonged exposure to credit cards (that someone would be storing in the wallet attachment) to see if it has an effect on the card mag stripes. Takes a really strong magnet, or extended exposure to a decent magnet, to wipe a credit card. 

Wonder if they've tested the wireless charging magnet for prolonged exposure to credit cards (that someone would be storing in the wallet attachment) to see if it has an effect on the card mag stripes. Takes a really strong magnet, or extended exposure to a decent magnet, to wipe a credit card. 
"Snap on a case, a wallet, or both. (Fear not, the wallet is shielded so it’s safe for credit cards.)"

Torn between Pro and Pro Max. 

Intrigued the floating sensor to stabilize video, and the slightly better zoom (2.0 vs 2.5x), and most of all...the added battery life on the Pro Max. That said, any "Cinematic" video would likely be shoot with my DJI Osmo Pocket for stability... and 0.5x zoom isn't a huge difference. Battery life is a big thing for me though... looks like about 15% improvement in the Pro Max.

THAT SAID: I'm really nervous that the Pro Max is just too damn big... definitely too big for effective one-handed use. 

I think I'm just going to jump on the 256GB Blue Pro.

Verizon offering $440 trade in for iPhone X (nearly double Apple's offer)... very generous as that's basically eBay pricing.
That deal brings 24mo 0% pricing to: $27.45 for the Pro 256GB -vs- $31.62 for the Pro Max 256GB. 

Users who are viewing this thread