What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (4 Viewers)

One

Not Allowed In Mexico
Apple has developed the first of the next generation of devices that are closer to personal computers in pocket form, meaning that they will easily handle music, entertainment, productivity tasks and communications on cellular and other wireless networks.
LINK

hmm..

Last edited by a moderator:
From what the Wall Street Journal has just released that Cingular will be the provider for the anticipated Apple phone.

(subscription required for the whole story) Wall Street Journal

http://users2.wsj.com/lmda/do/checkLogin?m...e_whats_news_us

Cingular Wireless is expected to provide wireless service for a new Apple Computer Inc. cellphone, people familiar with the situation say.

The launch of the new phone and service is expected to be announced as early as Tuesday, these people say.

The new product could give Apple access to the huge wireless business, in which nearly a billion handsets are shipped every year, dwarfing the nearly 70 million iPods Apple has sold over the past five years.

ttiger72 said:
Wonder how much Cisco will win in their trademark lawsuit?
Apple's not going to use the actual name "iPhone" since Cisco has the rights, "i" is just the normal prefix for any rumored Apple product.Heading out to MacWorld 07 on business right now, today should be interesting. :coffee:

Dude, they need to integrate Skype into that mother so that when you're in range of a wifi network it does VoIP instead of radio (cell) based calls.

I tried out a phone like this (but only had wifi) using Skype and it was pretty good. I recently got a VoIP compatible cordless phone for Xmas that plugs into my comp and can make calls through Skype. Nifty, but requires a computer with an OS that can run Skype.

Dude, they need to integrate Skype into that mother so that when you're in range of a wifi network it does VoIP instead of radio (cell) based calls.I tried out a phone like this (but only had wifi) using Skype and it was pretty good. I recently got a VoIP compatible cordless phone for Xmas that plugs into my comp and can make calls through Skype. Nifty, but requires a computer with an OS that can run Skype.
a Skype cell phone.. no wthat would be cool. :coffee:

It has a slide-out keyboard as well as the ability to connect to both wireless Internet networks and high-speed cellular service. Those who wish to use it as a phone can add a Bluetooth headset and use an Internet phone service like Skype.

ttiger72 said:
Apple's not going to use the actual name "iPhone" since Cisco has the rights, "i" is just the normal prefix for any rumored Apple product.Heading out to MacWorld 07 on business right now, today should be interesting. :unsure:
Speculation is that Jobs is going to call it the iPhone anyway. Cisco has all their ducks in a row on this and there have been negotiations taking place, but they have not yet agreed on anything from what I have read. Should be interesting to see Jobs get in a pissing match with Cisco if it happens.

I flew in to San Fran last night. It's impossible to get a hotel here this week because of MacWorld. :blackdot:

The thought of an iPod/cell phone combo? :doh:

Apple iPhone sounds amazing. It's a widescreen video iPod, mobile phone and internet communicator wrapped into one device! Completely touch screen, no keyboard.

iPhone pic

Apple iPhone sounds amazing. It's a widescreen video iPod, mobile phone and internet communicator wrapped into one device! Completely touch screen, no keyboard.

iPhone pic
Interesting -- it looks almost like a PSP in form factor. I hope Cingular is available as a carrier.

Memphis Foundry said:
goonsquad said:

iPhone pic
Interesting -- it looks almost like a PSP in form factor. I hope Cingular is available as a carrier.
"Cingular" is prominently at the top of the display - that may be your only choice.

Incredible. Cingular looks like the company to invest in...they are owned by ATT? No?

ttiger72 said:
Apple's not going to use the actual name "iPhone" since Cisco has the rights, "i" is just the normal prefix for any rumored Apple product.Heading out to MacWorld 07 on business right now, today should be interesting. :thumbup:
Speculation is that Jobs is going to call it the iPhone anyway. Cisco has all their ducks in a row on this and there have been negotiations taking place, but they have not yet agreed on anything from what I have read. Should be interesting to see Jobs get in a pissing match with Cisco if it happens.
I don't know that Jobs will care. They lost a lawsuit a long time ago against the Beatles and their Apple company. The agreement was that Apple could continue to use the name and logo for their products but couldn't ever enter the music business in any way. And look at them now. Apple would be half the size that they are now without the iPod and iTunes. The Beatles' Apple sued Jobs's Apple but I never heard that anything became of it.All that aside, I wonder how much this thing is going to cost. That's got to be a $300-400 phone right?

Memphis Foundry said:
goonsquad said:

iPhone pic
"Cingular" is prominently at the top of the display - that may be your only choice.
:thumbup: That's all we need in this area. They're owned by BellSouth and AT&T, which is also now owned by BellSouth. Around here, carrier quality is as follows:Cingular

-----

-----

Verizon

-----

-----

-----

Sprint/Cellular South/TMobile/Etc.

-----

-----

-----

Cricket

I'll be giving this device a really hard look over the next few months.

ttiger72 said:
Apple's not going to use the actual name "iPhone" since Cisco has the rights, "i" is just the normal prefix for any rumored Apple product.Heading out to MacWorld 07 on business right now, today should be interesting. :cry:
I don't know that Jobs will care. They lost a lawsuit a long time ago against the Beatles and their Apple company. The agreement was that Apple could continue to use the name and logo for their products but couldn't ever enter the music business in any way. And look at them now. Apple would be half the size that they are now without the iPod and iTunes. The Beatles' Apple sued Jobs's Apple but I never heard that anything became of it.All that aside, I wonder how much this thing is going to cost. That's got to be a $300-400 phone right?
I bet more--isn't the most expensive ipod ~$400?

ttiger72 said:
Apple's not going to use the actual name "iPhone" since Cisco has the rights, "i" is just the normal prefix for any rumored Apple product.Heading out to MacWorld 07 on business right now, today should be interesting. :cry:
available: shipping in June8GB model - $5994GB model - $499

All that aside, I wonder how much this thing is going to cost. That's got to be a $300-400 phone right?
With all the features I'd guess $600 - $700. I mean, the old top iPod was $349, and this a widescreen video iPod PLUS phone and internet. It won't be cheap.BTW, Apple stock already up 4.53 on the day! :cry:ETA: 10:54 am note - iPhone prices include a 2 year contract - FYI10:47 am available: shipping in June10:47 am 8GB model - $59910:47 am 4GB model - $499

All that aside, I wonder how much this thing is going to cost. That's got to be a $300-400 phone right?
With all the features I'd guess $600 - $700. I mean, the old top iPod was $349, and this a widescreen video iPod PLUS phone and internet. It won't be cheap.BTW, Apple stock already up 4.53 on the day! :cry: ETA: 10:47 am available: shipping in June10:47 am 8GB model - $59910:47 am 4GB model - $499
Sounds like they're skipping the hard drive to go with only flash RAM in these devices. Good move, IMO, though that will limit the amount of video you can store on this device.

Wow that's expensive. Do they really think that they're going to sell these things like hotcakes? IMO their two biggest demographics are going to be major techies and businessmen at that price point. And I think that Blackberry already has such an entrenched market that they're going to find it tough making inroads in the business side.

It's an awesome device, but that price point is awfully high. It's kind of like the PS3 of phones.

Wow that's expensive. Do they really think that they're going to sell these things like hotcakes? IMO their two biggest demographics are going to be major techies and businessmen at that price point. And I think that Blackberry already has such an entrenched market that they're going to find it tough making inroads in the business side. It's an awesome device, but that price point is awfully high. It's kind of like the PS3 of phones.
It's not cheap, but top Blackberrys are $500. This (promises) to blow the functionality of the Blackberry out of the water, plus is a widescreen iPod to boot. It seems competively priced based on everything it does.

ttiger72 said:
Apple's not going to use the actual name "iPhone" since Cisco has the rights, "i" is just the normal prefix for any rumored Apple product.Heading out to MacWorld 07 on business right now, today should be interesting. :shrug:
499/599 and unless they agreed with Cisco it could be a big loss on their part. First, Cisco has published all the relevant documentation and time lines of the iPhone dating back to 1996 I believe. Secondly, Cisco is a lot bigger than Apple, has a competing product and has the money to hit them really hard with a lawsuit and drag it out for a long time. I would have to guess that something was worked out, if not Jobs is taking a huge risk IMO.

Wow that's expensive. Do they really think that they're going to sell these things like hotcakes? IMO their two biggest demographics are going to be major techies and businessmen at that price point. And I think that Blackberry already has such an entrenched market that they're going to find it tough making inroads in the business side. It's an awesome device, but that price point is awfully high. It's kind of like the PS3 of phones.
It's not cheap, but top Blackberrys are $500. This (promises) to blow the functionality of the Blackberry out of the water, plus is a widescreen iPod to boot. It seems competively priced based on everything it does.
Only issue I see with the it is answering the phone while driving without a headset. I have an i730 and don't have a headset, and it's easy to answer since there is an actual button to press. Apple's phone doesn't have a button so you would have to look at the screen, only thing that I don't like. Otherwise it's going to shake up the industry IMO.

Only issue I see with the it is answering the phone while driving without a headset. I have an i730 and don't have a headset, and it's easy to answer since there is an actual button to press. Apple's phone doesn't have a button so you would have to look at the screen, only thing that I don't like. Otherwise it's going to shake up the industry IMO.
The keynote mentioned a lot of pressure sensetive functions on the sides of the phone. I would guess they have worked answering into this somehow? There is also a proximity sensor in the earpiece which automatically turns off music and screen when you make a call. Maybe it also just "knows" when you answer an incoming call?ETA: Looks like I misunderstood. There is no pressure sensitivity on the sides of the phone. The "pinching motion" referred to in the keynote updates are actually finger motions you make on the screen itself.

As cool as this thing looks, I dont know if I like the touch screen keypad.

ETA Also the Apple TV looks like a pretty cool product.

Gotta wonder about the battery life too? If anything like the IPOD, you will be charging this sucker quite a bit.
I think I read 5 hours talk time.The concern I would have is the screen getting "greasy". If anyone has a Treo, you know what I mean. It appears to be an entirely flat surface which would be easier to clean...but it could look pretty crusty after a 20 minute call pressed up against the side of your face....

Gotta wonder about the battery life too? If anything like the IPOD, you will be charging this sucker quite a bit.
Being that it's only 8GB, it's almost assuredly going to be only flash memory. Not having a moving Hard drive REALLY helps on battery life. Comparing it to the old iPods battery life is not valid IMO.

I'm going to guess that everyone is going to be better off buying these after the next MacWorld when they have more memory and/or improve the battery.

In any case, this certainly seems like a game changer even at $599.

Their goal is to sell 10MM of these in a year. That seems a little high given that they've sold 40MM ipods since their intro.

Engadget is reporting that the price tag shown is WITH a new 2 year Cingular agreement. Wonder what the price tag is without the new 2 year agreement? Does that also mean that anyone in the middle of their current contract would have to either wait or shell out full price?

I'm also wondering about fingerprints on that screen. That looks like a gorgeous and shiny screen. I would think that using your fingers to input stuff would leave it covered in smeared prints. My wife's Nano is awful about picking up greasy fingerprints.

It really is an awesome product and I'd love one if I could afford dropping that kind of money on something like that, but I'm not sure that it's as much of a slam dunk as some may think.

Users who are viewing this thread