What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (1 Viewer)

Regarding Battery Life: 
For my use, screen-on time is a huge reason I need extended battery cases for my phone to last a day. For that reason, the Video Playback time is the best indicator of battery life for my use. That said, I found this website to be interesting

Battery Size Video Playback (hours)
iPhone X 2716 mAh 13 Hours
iPhone 12 Pro 2775 mAh 17 Hours

Based on that, it looks like the 12 / 12 Pro will provide about 30% more battery life than my X did when new. That COULD be enough to get me through a full day of normal (not heavy) use without needing to use a bulky battery case. :unsure:  

Side note.. those who have tech Knowledge might have insight: 

Using the new "Mag Safe" back could offer a whole new arena for accessories... most of all, I'd love to see a battery jump-pack that snaps onto the back and charges the phone 100% in a few hours. Obviously some real estate is needed for the wireless charging coil and magnet, but it would offer a means to hot-swap in battery packs as needed for folks needing that extra boost of capacity without wanting to run cords. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the magnetic feature add to the Qi charging back. 

EDIT: Looks like a magnetic Qi Charging Pack exists already. 4000 mAh would likely give a full charge to the 2775 mAh 12 Pro. It will fit nicely on the back but adds considerable thickness. Bummer but not a deal breaker. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Have an 8 Plus now so looking to upgrade. Don't really care about the camera so the Pro is out. Debating on the 12 vs the Pro Max due to screen size and battery life. Not sure if the pro max is worth the extra $250+ if I'm not going to really take advantage of the camera difference. If I'm reading it right, the Pro Max is about the same physical size as the 8 plus which I am used to at this point too. Torn so far. 

[icon] said:
Torn between Pro and Pro Max. 

Intrigued the floating sensor to stabilize video, and the slightly better zoom (2.0 vs 2.5x), and most of all...the added battery life on the Pro Max. That said, any "Cinematic" video would likely be shoot with my DJI Osmo Pocket for stability... and 0.5x zoom isn't a huge difference. Battery life is a big thing for me though... looks like about 15% improvement in the Pro Max.

THAT SAID: I'm really nervous that the Pro Max is just too damn big... definitely too big for effective one-handed use. 

I think I'm just going to jump on the 256GB Blue Pro.

Verizon offering $440 trade in for iPhone X (nearly double Apple's offer)... very generous as that's basically eBay pricing.
That deal brings 24mo 0% pricing to: $27.45 for the Pro 256GB -vs- $31.62 for the Pro Max 256GB. 
im going  Pro because of this.  i cant do that big of a phone personally. 

I didnt know verizon is offering more i may buy from them.  Can you sign up early for the purchase with them like apple offers?

Regarding Battery Life: 
For my use, screen-on time is a huge reason I need extended battery cases for my phone to last a day. For that reason, the Video Playback time is the best indicator of battery life for my use. That said, I found this website to be interesting

Battery Size Video Playback (hours)
iPhone X 2716 mAh 13 Hours
iPhone 12 Pro 2775 mAh 17 Hours

Based on that, it looks like the 12 / 12 Pro will provide about 30% more battery life than my X did when new. That COULD be enough to get me through a full day of normal (not heavy) use without needing to use a bulky battery case. :unsure:  

Side note.. those who have tech Knowledge might have insight: 

Using the new "Mag Safe" back could offer a whole new arena for accessories... most of all, I'd love to see a battery jump-pack that snaps onto the back and charges the phone 100% in a few hours. Obviously some real estate is needed for the wireless charging coil and magnet, but it would offer a means to hot-swap in battery packs as needed for folks needing that extra boost of capacity without wanting to run cords. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the magnetic feature add to the Qi charging back. 

EDIT: Looks like a magnetic Qi Charging Pack exists already. 4000 mAh would likely give a full charge to the 2775 mAh 12 Pro. It will fit nicely on the back but adds considerable thickness. Bummer but not a deal breaker. 
do we know that will work with the 12?

Have an 8 Plus now so looking to upgrade. Don't really care about the camera so the Pro is out. Debating on the 12 vs the Pro Max due to screen size and battery life. Not sure if the pro max is worth the extra $250+ if I'm not going to really take advantage of the camera difference. If I'm reading it right, the Pro Max is about the same physical size as the 8 plus which I am used to at this point too. Torn so far. 
Same boat for me.  I'm leaning the 12 because the screen size is bigger, but in a smaller form.  I've been happy with the 5.5" display, so bumping to 6.1" but in a smaller package is a win/win.

Found this helpful

Would be interested in upgrading if the new phones took decent indoor pictures for real estate purposes.  Fancy camera doesn't matter if there's not enough flash to make everything look like a cave.  Would love to be able to ditch my 10 yr digital camera.

[icon] said:
Torn between Pro and Pro Max. 

Intrigued the floating sensor to stabilize video, and the slightly better zoom (2.0 vs 2.5x), and most of all...the added battery life on the Pro Max. That said, any "Cinematic" video would likely be shoot with my DJI Osmo Pocket for stability... and 0.5x zoom isn't a huge difference. Battery life is a big thing for me though... looks like about 15% improvement in the Pro Max.

THAT SAID: I'm really nervous that the Pro Max is just too damn big... definitely too big for effective one-handed use. 

I think I'm just going to jump on the 256GB Blue Pro.

Verizon offering $440 trade in for iPhone X (nearly double Apple's offer)... very generous as that's basically eBay pricing.
That deal brings 24mo 0% pricing to: $27.45 for the Pro 256GB -vs- $31.62 for the Pro Max 256GB. 
I don't think the 12 Pro Max is any bigger than the 11 Pro Max

[icon] said:
Where are you seeing this?  I went to the site and chose trade in which is in great condition and its only saying $228.   I did see something for $440 but it was for new customers. 

Slightly bigger. Screen size is listed as 6.5 vs. 6.7 and you can see the overall phone size difference visually when comparing them on the site.
So these are the specs:

12 Max: Height6.33 inches (160.8 mm)

11 Max: Height6.22 inches (158.0 mm)

12 Max: Width3.07 inches (78.1 mm)

11 Max: Width3.06 inches (77.8 mm)

12 Max: Depth0.29 inch (7.4 mm)

11 Max: Depth0.32 inch (8.1 mm)

12 Max: Weight8.03 ounces (228 grams)

11 Max: Weight7.97 ounces (226 grams)

The difference is negligible. Weight basically zero difference. Width is essentially the same. Depth is 10% smaller and the height is 2% taller. 

They are virtually the same size. If the 11 max was not a size issue this won't be either. 

Apple Store and AT&T apps were hot garbage; ended up going old school and pre-ordered on Apple's website.

I’ve always felt I need the pro models. What is the benefit of the pro this time?  Seems the 12 is pretty jam packed with good stuff. Is the pro just for artist and digital media stuff?  I take family photos, but otherwise I’m doing email and music and web browsing. Maybe I don’t need the pro this time, since they both seem to have the same chip, and so I assume regular performance and speed will be comparable?

I’ve always felt I need the pro models. What is the benefit of the pro this time?  Seems the 12 is pretty jam packed with good stuff. Is the pro just for artist and digital media stuff?  I take family photos, but otherwise I’m doing email and music and web browsing. Maybe I don’t need the pro this time, since they both seem to have the same chip, and so I assume regular performance and speed will be comparable?
If you don't want a teeny tiny phone for your big man hands you would want the pro MAX

Guess it's time to upgrade now that my current 6 is worth $0. AT&T is offering $350 credit toward the 12 for older phone trade-ins and the full $800 for newer. My current iPhone 6 qualifies for $0 (the $350 credit starts with 6s & newer.) On the one hand I really squeezed every bit of worth out of this phone (and I think it may have been one of the last "get it free if you agree to a 2-year contract" deals), but on the other I waited so long I have to pay the full boat on something new. 

So, for the new magsafe charging, to get the "click" you need both a new magsafe charging pad and the iphone 12? Or will an iphone 12 just "click" to any old wireless charging pad, because the phone has the magnet now (and the chargers all have enough metal for it to "click" to?)

Guess it's time to upgrade now that my current 6 is worth $0. AT&T is offering $350 credit toward the 12 for older phone trade-ins and the full $800 for newer. My current iPhone 6 qualifies for $0 (the $350 credit starts with 6s & newer.) On the one hand I really squeezed every bit of worth out of this phone (and I think it may have been one of the last "get it free if you agree to a 2-year contract" deals), but on the other I waited so long I have to pay the full boat on something new. 
I was looking at that offer. I have two 8 pluses and one 8. Trying to figure out if it’s eligible for all lines or just one. I’d likely be just getting 12s so it would basically make the phones free. 

So, for the new magsafe charging, to get the "click" you need both a new magsafe charging pad and the iphone 12? Or will an iphone 12 just "click" to any old wireless charging pad, because the phone has the magnet now (and the chargers all have enough metal for it to "click" to?)
As a follow up to this, I was also looking into how my preference for a wallet case will (or won't work) with wireless charging and found that most cases that hold 3 cards and cash will still be able to charge wirelessly...unless one of your cards is an Apple Card! Seems the titanium in the card blocks the inductive charging.

I was a big Apple guy. Had the first iphone and wanted a bigger phone so I made the jump to Samsung when the note 3 came out. Thinking of jumping back into the Apple world but am wondering how hard it will be to transfer my contacts from android to ios. Has anyone here done this recently.

Now I have to figure out if I want to spend $1,000 on a stupid phone

I was a big Apple guy. Had the first iphone and wanted a bigger phone so I made the jump to Samsung when the note 3 came out. Thinking of jumping back into the Apple world but am wondering how hard it will be to transfer my contacts from android to ios. Has anyone here done this recently.

Now I have to figure out if I want to spend $1,000 on a stupid phone
Some good discussion on this over at http://reddit.com/r/iphone. Lots of Android folks coming over... apparently there are right and wrong ways to move things over. Wrong way will take an eternity. Right way isn't so bad. 

Sales for this iPhone cycle are going to be really high IMO .

I got the magsafe case and charger, which delivered today.  They click together, so not sure if the phone is the one with the magnets?

both the phone and the case have magnets.  That way they can click whether you have a case or not.
Yeah, so for the 3rd party wallet case I ordered it seems like it will wirelessly charge through it (and my credit cards) as long as it's lined up right on the charging pad, but it won't click to a MagSafe spot because they case itself doesn't have one in it. 

I don't get the wallet on a phone thing. If one is lost or stolen, the other fills in. Lose both and I'm screwed :lol:  

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Car uses my phone to unlock, and I have a back up ring.  House has an app to unlock the front door or the garage.  I carry my license, my health card, a credit card, and my debit card in my phone wallet.  It is so great not to worry about keys, money clips, etc.  I only need to keep track of one thing and only need one thing in my pocket.

Car uses my phone to unlock, and I have a back up ring.  House has an app to unlock the front door or the garage.  I carry my license, my health card, a credit card, and my debit card in my phone wallet.  It is so great not to worry about keys, money clips, etc.  I only need to keep track of one thing and only need one thing in my pocket.
Look at me and how tech savvy I am

Here is a question for you. Lets say you want to go down to my ocmd place again. If I get one of these fancy doors, can I give you access so I don't have to send you the keys. 

Now imagine if all you had to carry was a watch. No phone, no wallet, no cards. We're close. That will be a game changer.

For me, the odds of that happening is super slim.  The convenience of not having to carry a separate wallet/money clip far outweighs that risk.
100% agree although I do have to carry a car key. It’s a button start so the key never comes out of my pocket. I think it’s a lot less likely that I lose my phone/wallet than losing one or the other when they were separate. Putting down the phone to get your wallet out, etc. you have one thing to remember so it’s easier to not forget.

I do need to look into that door lock, probably on the next house. I don’t see myself in this house more than another 5 years so don’t feel like switching out all the locks and knobs because “they don’t match.” Maybe I can get away with the back or garage door. We never go in the front door anyway. 

Now imagine if all you had to carry was a watch. No phone, no wallet, no cards. We're close. That will be a game changer.
Too much email / Messaging / browsing use for me to give up the screen. We also need to see significant strides in voice recognition. 

That said.. turn by turn directions with apple watch are great with the haptic wrist notifications.... Apple pay works great where accepted...  Phone works great with AirPods. 

Tom's Hardware:
" iPhone 12 Benchmark Results -- Android phones should just give up now."

Geekbench 5 Results

iPhone 12: 1593 / 3859
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra: 985 / 3294 

The iPhone 12 posts the best numbers in Geekbench 5, with a single core score of 1,593 and a multicore score of 3,859. Those are improvements 19% and 10%, respectively, over the iPhone 11 Pro Max's single-core and multicore results in the same test. The iPhone 12 Pro finished just behind the iPhone 12, with scores of 1,585 and 3,669.

More importantly, both iPhones beat out all of the recent Android devices we've tested. The ROG Phone 3 from Asus had the best results in Geekbench, thanks to its Snapdragon 865 Plus chipset, an overclocked version of the standard 865. But the ROG Phone 3's single core and multicore scores of 974 and 3,3393 are well behind what you see from the iPhone 12 models. Other Android flagships like the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra and Galaxy S20 Plus also lag behind.

3D Mark Wild Life Score

iPhone 12: 6562 / 39fps
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra: 4182 / 25fps

We ran into a surprise with this test where the iPhone 11 Pro Max actually posted a better result than the new iPhones, averaging a score of 7,709 or 42 frames per second. The iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro turned in similar results to each other at 6,562 and 6,567, respectively. That translates to 39 fps.

While we puzzle why the older iPhone fared better on this particular benchmark, it's worth noting that the Android phones we've tested so far with 3DMark Wild Life finish well behind the iPhone 12. The best result we've gotten as we retest recently released phones comes from the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, which turned in a result of 4,182 (25 FPS). The iPhone 12 Pro's result is 57% better.

Video Encoding Results

iPhone 12 : 0:26
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra: 1:16

The iPhone 12 Pro took care of our video in 27 seconds, while the iPhone 12 shaved a second off that time. That's an impressive improvement over the iPhone 11 Pro Max's previously pace-setting time of 46 seconds.

The best an Android phone has mustered in our video encoding test has been the 1 minute and 13 second time that the Galaxy S20 Plus turned in earlier this year, though the Note 20 Ultra finished three seconds behind that. It takes the OnePlus 8T and ROG Phone 3 more than 90 seconds to do something the iPhone 12 completes in less than half-a-minute.

--

My note: Samsung's Exynos 2100 will level the playing benchmark field a bit more, though not sure when it will be landing in phones, and how in-phone processing will play out. 

Too much email / Messaging / browsing use for me to give up the screen. We also need to see significant strides in voice recognition. 

That said.. turn by turn directions with apple watch are great with the haptic wrist notifications.... Apple pay works great where accepted...  Phone works great with AirPods. 
Not for me, but that's because I'm surrounded by screens better than a ~6" almost my entire day. Whether it's in my office, on my couch, in my kitchen, on a plane, sitting in a car built in the past year.... all they really need to do is make it easier to wirelessly mirror from a mobile device to a screen. That tech has been around since... 2014? Earlier? That doesn't seem like a very big hurdle to me. I hope @Foosball God is correct but that seems further out for most people than the simply ability to mirror a wearable to all the screens that surround us everyday.

Also, I think voice recognition will be just fine on the snapdragon 4100's based on every review that I've seen.

Not for me, but that's because I'm surrounded by screens better than a ~6" almost my entire day. Whether it's in my office, on my couch, in my kitchen, on a plane, sitting in a car built in the past year.... all they really need to do is make it easier to wirelessly mirror from a mobile device to a screen. That tech has been around since... 2014? Earlier? That doesn't seem like a very big hurdle to me. I hope @Foosball God is correct but that seems further out for most people than the simply ability to mirror a wearable to all the screens that surround us everyday.

Also, I think voice recognition will be just fine on the snapdragon 4100's based on every review that I've seen.
Killing time Waiting room at doctor/office/store 

Placing bets / checking fantasy scores / looking up info while Sitting at table in bar/restaurant watching a game

Reading reviews / comparison shopping  while out shopping 

Streaming a game while out and about anywhere 

Lots of places I need more interaction with data or a bigger screen. For folks who aren't very social and spend most of their time at home or work I suppose that makes sense. I use my phone wayyyyy too much to give it up. :lol:  

Killing time Waiting room at doctor/office/store 

Placing bets / checking fantasy scores / looking up info while Sitting at table in bar/restaurant watching a game

Reading reviews / comparison shopping  while out shopping 

Streaming a game while out and about anywhere 

Lots of places I need more interaction with data or a bigger screen. For folks who aren't very social and spend most of their time at home or work I suppose that makes sense. I use my phone wayyyyy too much to give it up. :lol:  
With glasses it can be projected to be as big as it needs to be.

Users who are viewing this thread