What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (5 Viewers)

How far would Sony get if they introduced a home stereo entertainment unit called the Ipod? They could claim it was really a totally different device.
I couldn't think of a more apples and oranges comparison of I tried. Apple's iPod is one of the most popular and successful consumer electronics products to come out in years. It practically defines its brand.You're comparing this to the popularity of Cisco's iPhone? Seriously?

I wish Apple would come up with a PDA using OSX. I rememebr the old Newton, which was ahead of it's time. But I don't want to carry an expensive device around all the time, and I've misplaced my cell phone on quite a few occasions.

I would only carry around my PDA about half the time.

:thumbup: 1. No 10 megapixel camera with telescopic lens.

2. Only a 3.5" screen. Should be a 60" widescreen.

3. Only 5-16 hours of battery life. I need at least 4 month battery life.

4. Only 8GB. I would expect at least 1 terrabyte.

Looks very good. I especially like how you navigate between albums(though I rarely have music broken down into albums) and I like how intuitive it is to view photo's. Zooming in was much better than the way any other phone I've seen handles the same task. Looks like they have a winner, but I'll probably wait for another carrier and a lower price.

Does anyone know if the memory on the phone is HDD based or flash based?

Looks very good. I especially like how you navigate between albums(though I rarely have music broken down into albums) and I like how intuitive it is to view photo's. Zooming in was much better than the way any other phone I've seen handles the same task. Looks like they have a winner, but I'll probably wait for another carrier and a lower price.

Does anyone know if the memory on the phone is HDD based or flash based?
It's flash based. I'm still trying to find out what kind of processor is in there and whether it has an SD slot available, but the storage is definitely flash based.Coverflow is the coolest thing going about iTunes -- it is the iTunes "killer app". It was originally a product that was developed by this guy as a plugin for iTunes but Apple liked it so much they bought the company, in the immortal words of Victor Kiam.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I don't see a bully relationship here. I see two goliaths on equal ground going head-to-head. Apple clearly doesn't believe Cisco's trademark rights are as clear as Cisco thinks they are. I just have a hard time seeing Cisco as a victim here.
Really goon?Would you be ok if cisco came out with DVD creating software called imovie?J
That is not an equal comparison. iMovie, in this case both of them, do the exact same thing. The Cisco iPhone from what I have read here and other sources uses the Internet exclusively as a phone. Also, the Cisco iPhone has been dubbed by others with no legal recourse as well as the name itself. The Apple iPhone is a portable unit that can surf the Internet but I dont know if it can be used in the same manner the Cisco iPhone can be used in. The Apple iPhone is a cellualar technology as well as MP3 player, planner, yada yada yada device. The two devices, to me, are clearly different in what they are presenting to the consumer. There are two similarities I see. Frist, the name and second they are both used for phone conversations... primarily. However, they are not used in the same manner.A thin line no doubt but I think neither company has a case to get X amount of dollars off the other one as of right now.
I think it's much broader than that, CE.How far would Sony get if they introduced a home stereo entertainment unit called the Ipod? They could claim it was really a totally different device.J
Neither of these comparisons are accurate because Cisco has already let numerous other companies and products infringe on the iPhone name. Trademarks can become public if the rights hold doesn't defend the mark.
So I assume that you're somehow aware of any measures that Cisco may or may not have taken to protect their trademark? You know if Cisco sent cease and desist letters? You know if Cisco has entered into any talks with the other companies? You know if they've filed any lawsuits against them?

Seems Apple may have a case:

Cisco Lost Rights to iPhone?

It is possible that the Declaration of Use is defective, as there was no continuous use, and the sample that Cisco submitted was for a product not released until 7 months later. The fact that the Declaration of Use was submitted only days before the deadline expires gives me the impression that they were scrambling to get a product to market, and had to file the Declaration before the product was ready.

If Apple can prove in federal court that the Declaration of Use contained misstatements of fact, i.e. that there was no continuous use, then Cisco's registration can be canceled. This could clear the way for the next company in line for the iPhone trademark, Ocean Telecom Services LLC (widely regarded as a front company for Apple). It could also explain why Apple decided not to sign the agreement Cisco proposed.
:o

I don't get good reception with cingular in my house which is why I went with verizon, I hope they add more carriers as I have 1 more year left on my verizon contract.

Apple iPhone receives FCC approval, is on track for June release. :shrug:

Apple Inc. on Thursday received the official go-ahead on its first ever mobile handset, with the Federal Communications Commission giving the iPod maker the green light to commence sales of the device in the United States.
Linky

An interesting sidenote about the iPhone.

Within minutes after Engadget posted another iPhone and Mac OS delay rumor, Apple stocks dipped as much as $5 from $108.48 a share to $103.42, which totals to a market capitalization loss of over $4 billion. After Apple corrected the error by sending another memo reconfirming iPhone’s June release and October for their new OS. APPL stocks finally settled to $107.34 at the end of the trading day.

If Engadget is reeling from this traumatic experience (no little thanks to its popularity), it ain’t showing it, aside from quickly deleting the falacious entry and writing down a rather passionate excuse. After the blundering entry, Engadget went back to work publishing the latest and juiciest tech and gadget news of the day. In fact at the time of its writing, its most recent post is the FCC’s approval of the iPhone. Surprisingly, it was Engadget’s main rival, Gizmodo of Gawker Media, who went to its rescue.

Here’s Gizmodo: “People have asked me if I’m gleeful. Hell no. Giz and Engaga are in the same boat. This sort of thing affects our rep, too. Sure, I could take a swipe at Engadget’s reliability. I could put my fingers in my ears and shout, Nya Nyaa Boo Boo and stick my tongue out at my competitors. But I won’t. Ryan, the real heart of Engadget’s daily operations, is a great guy and I respect his work. We’re both in the same situation of having to post news quickly, sometimes before confirmation.” Though not entirely washing Engadget of any guilt, it’s safe to say that Gizmodo’s own future rests upon Engadget coming out of this with their heads still attached to their shoulders. Apple may not care about what some tech blog managed to do to its stock, that not even Microsoft with all its might managed to do, but what about those investors whose only fault was that they reacted too fast to a market that rewards people who react too fast? They lost billions of unretrievable dollars. Are they just going to forget about it?

An interesting sidenote about the iPhone.

Within minutes after Engadget posted another iPhone and Mac OS delay rumor, Apple stocks dipped as much as $5 from $108.48 a share to $103.42,
Pretty short lived considering it's back up $2.10 to $109.44
It was a bogus "internal email" that Engadget posted. After Apple confirmed that there was no such delay and that the rumor was completely false, the stock returned to previous levels. This does show how much interest there is in the iPhone and illustrates how much Apple has riding on this launch.

I want to get one, unfortunately all indications point towards not allowing pre-orders.
The big question is how many Apple will have available at launch. With no preorders I could see lines outside the stores ala PS3, and a serious ebay scalper market. All of which will bring lots of free media coverage for Apple. Luckily there's no Wii to spoil the party here.

I want to get one, unfortunately all indications point towards not allowing pre-orders.
The big question is how many Apple will have available at launch. With no preorders I could see lines outside the stores ala PS3, and a serious ebay scalper market. All of which will bring lots of free media coverage for Apple. Luckily there's no Wii to spoil the party here.
I'm counting on ordering mine through Apple instead of waiting in line. If there is a big enough shortage, I may turn around and sell it at a premium and wait for the next revision, but if not I'll certainly enjoy using it.I don't want to stand in lines like a teenager waiting for Halo to be released. Apple should allow its customers to be more refined than that, considering that they're appealing to the mid-upper class levels of society.

I'm counting on ordering mine through Apple instead of waiting in line. If there is a big enough shortage, I may turn around and sell it at a premium and wait for the next revision, but if not I'll certainly enjoy using it.I don't want to stand in lines like a teenager waiting for Halo to be released. Apple should allow its customers to be more refined than that, considering that they're appealing to the mid-upper class levels of society.
Outside of pre-orders, what's the "refined" solution?I'm very interested in how the launch of this will go. I can't think of an Apple product that has ever had this amount of hype before a release. Apple has simply never announced products this far in advance, and the iPhone certainly has much wider appeal than most Apple products have histrorically had. The fact that it will (?) be available from AT&T stores as well as Apple stores certainly throws another wrinkle into it.Apple usually has release parties at their stores when they do a major OS upgrade. I hit one a few years back, for Panther I believe, and there were a good couple hundred people there. This release will eclipse that. So if they really don't allow pre-orders I expect no choice but HUGE lines. Between AT&T and Apple, the marketing for this launch will be huge. You could try to snag one online at the Apple's site on launch day, but that will be bombarded with traffic. Could prove difficult to get through.This is THE hot item to get, and I expect a complete frenzy.

Outside of pre-orders, what's the "refined" solution?
Outside of pre-orders, it would be difficult to control the mad dash to get the phones. I don't see why they wouldn't open up pre-orders for a limited amount of time, early on, to reward the apple-faithful.
I'm very interested in how the launch of this will go. I can't think of an Apple product that has ever had this amount of hype before a release. Apple has simply never announced products this far in advance, and the iPhone certainly has much wider appeal than most Apple products have histrorically had. The fact that it will (?) be available from AT&T stores as well as Apple stores certainly throws another wrinkle into it.

Apple usually has release parties at their stores when they do a major OS upgrade. I hit one a few years back, for Panther I believe, and there were a good couple hundred people there. This release will eclipse that. So if they really don't allow pre-orders I expect no choice but HUGE lines. Between AT&T and Apple, the marketing for this launch will be huge. You could try to snag one online at the Apple's site on launch day, but that will be bombarded with traffic. Could prove difficult to get through.

This is THE hot item to get, and I expect a complete frenzy.
Yeah. I expect a frenzy as well, unfortunately. I just don't want to have to deal with it just to get one. Oh well, guess I'll have to do what I have to do. Sure am excited to get my hands on one. Ready to give up my clunky current PDA phone and separate ipod-mini for this thinner, combined solution. My macformation is almost complete!

iPhone to be available at 2000 store fronts on launch

Apple's inaugural mobile handset, iPhone, will be available for sale at 2000 retail store fronts when it goes on sale for the first time next month, putting the device within reach of most US households.

That's just one of the info morsels Bear Stearns analyst Andy Neff came bearing after a meeting with members of Apple's executive team on Wednesday.

During the sit-down, Apple retail chief Ron Johnson and Director of Mac Product Marketing Tom Boger informed the analyst that those store fronts would consist exclusively of Apple and AT&T retail stores. (That breaks down to approximately 160 U.S.-based Apple outlets and roughly 1840 AT&T wireless boutiques.)

Here's an interesting article that examines the iPhone's expected impact on the mobile industry:

Link
Nearly one-in-10 respondents (9%) say they are likely to buy the new iPhone once it becomes available in June. Another 7% say they are likely to buy the iPhone as a gift for someone else.

:eek:

Here's an interesting article that examines the iPhone's expected impact on the mobile industry:

Link
Nearly one-in-10 respondents (9%) say they are likely to buy the new iPhone once it becomes available in June. Another 7% say they are likely to buy the iPhone as a gift for someone else.

:shock:
Just as amazing is the iPhone's expected effect on providers. The fact that a single piece of hardware can possibly move the needle in such a dramatic way is astonishing. Even more interesting for Apple is when you consider the rumor that Steve Jobs brokered a deal whereby Apple also gets a percentage of the monthly service contracts. Wonder if Verizon is regretting passing on the iPhone yet? :eek:

The Effect on Cellular Service Providers

We see the same pattern among service providers. Currently, Verizon (VZ) (30%) holds the market share lead among our respondents while AT&T’s (T) Cingular (27%) – which is Apple’s exclusive service provider for the United States – is in second. We note that third place Sprint/Nextel (S) (12%) has fallen 1-point to a new low.

But going forward we find a dramatic turn of events. Cingular (28%; up 6 points) has surged ahead of Verizon in terms of future planned buying among consumers, and is now the top choice among those likely to switch service providers.

Verizon (22%; down 3 points) has continued to trend downward among this critically important group – falling to second place for the first time since we began asking this question in a ChangeWave survey.

Holy mother of pearl.

I just went to the apple website and checked on the iphone's webpage and they have a lot of updated video's of how the iphone will work. I must say that I'm officially blown away.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Check out each feature and the accompanying video.

To further complicate things, there are rumors of waiting lists at AT&T stores even though both Apple and AT&T said they would not do pre-orders. I suppose a list and a pre-order are different beasts, but if you want an iPhone at launch you might want to start calling around.

Link

A research group observes that demand for Apple's upcoming iPhone looks set to exceed supply.

The survey conducted by The Channel Checkers included 36 U.S. AT&T stores and found that 64 percent of of them have an average of 25 persons on their waiting lists. The other stores are only allowing sales to occur on a first come, first served basis.

The group also reports results from other outlets with surprising findings: "We did have one outlier in New York City, which we excluded from our average, that had 1,979 people on its waiting list. Another store said "we cannot give out that figure but the waiting list is running into the thousands", another store reported that the number of calls for the phone was "indeterminable" as the numbers were massive."

Not official from Apple yet, but MacRumors picked up a release date on CNBC:

Last night on CNBC's "On the Money" the claimed that "an official AT&T announcement" states the iPhone release date will be (Wednesday) June 20th. Take this with a grain of salt please.

Bloomberg has also picked up on this stating that the it will be released on 6/20 and raised the projected stock price to $125 by then.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/06/18iphone.html

"Apple® today announced that iPhone™ will deliver significantly longer battery life when it ships on June 29 than was originally estimated when iPhone was unveiled in January. iPhone will feature up to 8 hours of talk time, 6 hours of Internet use, 7 hours of video playback or 24 hours of audio playback.* In addition, iPhone will feature up to 250 hours—more than 10 days—of standby time. Apple also announced that the entire top surface of iPhone, including its stunning 3.5-inch display, has been upgraded from plastic to optical-quality glass to achieve a superior level of scratch resistance and optical clarity."

:lmao:

How does the internet work - do you need Wifi in the area or does it pull from Cingular's phone/internet stuff? I'm kind of new here.

' date='Jun 18 2007, 07:58 AM' post='6890531']

"Apple® today announced that iPhone™ will deliver significantly longer battery life when it ships on June 29 than was originally estimated when iPhone was unveiled in January. iPhone will feature up to 8 hours of talk time, 6 hours of Internet use, 7 hours of video playback or 24 hours of audio playback.* In addition, iPhone will feature up to 250 hours—more than 10 days—of standby time. Apple also announced that the entire top surface of iPhone, including its stunning 3.5-inch display, has been upgraded from plastic to optical-quality glass to achieve a superior level of scratch resistance and optical clarity."

:thumbup:
Not a suprise. Apple will be adding and tinkering with this device for a LONG time. It will only get better.

:bag:

' date='Jun 18 2007, 07:58 AM' post='6890531']

:goodposting:
Not a suprise. Apple will be adding and tinkering with this device for a LONG time. It will only get better.

:lmao:
Yup, they are making it harder and harder to find a reason to wait until the second generation comes out with 3G.

Green94 said:
When does the exclusivity deal with Cingular run out?
Several Years IIRC. EDIT: Actually that was the inital report.... several years. Now it's looking like anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. Does anyone know?Cingular did this to move into the lead in the cell market and it's starting to work. Cingular is already overtaking verizon as the #1 most mentioned provider among people expecting to switch carriers within the next 6mo.

Another source (WSJ) Indicates Cingular has the exclusive through 2009 (read: the initial 2 years I had heard before)

' date='Jun 18 2007, 12:38 PM' post='6891025']Another source (WSJ) Indicates Cingular has the exclusive through 2009 (read: the initial 2 years I had heard before)
imo, no way they last that long with exclusivity. too much $$$ to be made elsewhere for apple to not renegotiate

' date='Jun 18 2007, 12:38 PM' post='6891025']

Another source (WSJ) Indicates Cingular has the exclusive through 2009 (read: the initial 2 years I had heard before)
Everything I've read has the exclusivity with AT&T for 5 years. :confused: Link

Operators Vying for iPhone Exclusive in Europe

By James Alan Miller

May 29, 2007

As you likely know by now, AT&T (Cingular) beat out other operators to become the exclusive provider of iPhone in the U.S., for the next five years. The carrier was actually Apple's second choice after Verizon Wireless, which declined the iPhone due to the Apple’s demands for too much control.
Link 2
iPhone exclusive to AT&T until 2012?

23 May 2007 14:02 by DVDBack23

The Apple iPhone set for release next month in North America, has allegedly made a carrier exclusivity agreement with At&T, a deal that would finish in 2012.

imo, no way they last that long with exclusivity. too much $$$ to be made elsewhere for apple to not renegotiate
Not if they can't build them fast enough. I have a feeling that 2 years may be about where supply catches up to the demand making the exclusivity moot. Apple really doesn't care as long as every iPhone they produce gets sold.

Not if they can't build them fast enough. I have a feeling that 2 years may be about where supply catches up to the demand making the exclusivity moot. Apple really doesn't care as long as every iPhone they produce gets sold.
Rumors also state that Apple's deal is also giving them a percentage of every service contract as well.

Users who are viewing this thread