What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (2 Viewers)

RedRaiders said:
How does the internet work - do you need Wifi in the area or does it pull from Cingular's phone/internet stuff? I'm kind of new here.
Both. You can get online from anywhere via AT&T's EDGE network (you have to subscribe to their data plan), but it is also a wifi internet device, so it can also get online at any wifi hotspot.

RedRaiders said:
How does the internet work - do you need Wifi in the area or does it pull from Cingular's phone/internet stuff? I'm kind of new here.
Both. You can get online from anywhere via AT&T's EDGE network (you have to subscribe to their data plan), but it is also a wifi internet device, so it can also get online at any wifi hotspot.
Thanks goon.Does this change the speed? I would think a wifi connection would be much faster than AT&T's connection. Is that right?When it's wifi, is it comprable to the speed you'd get on a laptop?J

RedRaiders said:
Thanks goon.Does this change the speed? I would think a wifi connection would be much faster than AT&T's connection. Is that right?When it's wifi, is it comprable to the speed you'd get on a laptop?J
I would assume so. The iPhone supports 802.11b/g, so wifi transfer rates should be the same as a laptop (except for one's supporting the new 802.11n). But as with any connection, speed will be effected by the wifi's service provider, connection type (DSL, T1... etc) and traffic. As for EDGE, I've never used it but I've read many complaints that it's much slower than competitor's service. I can only assume EDGE would be slower than a wifi connection.

' date='Jun 18 2007, 12:38 PM' post='6891025']

Another source (WSJ) Indicates Cingular has the exclusive through 2009 (read: the initial 2 years I had heard before)
Everything I've read has the exclusivity with AT&T for 5 years. :thumbup: Link

Operators Vying for iPhone Exclusive in Europe

By James Alan Miller

May 29, 2007

As you likely know by now, AT&T (Cingular) beat out other operators to become the exclusive provider of iPhone in the U.S., for the next five years. The carrier was actually Apple's second choice after Verizon Wireless, which declined the iPhone due to the Apple’s demands for too much control.
Link 2
iPhone exclusive to AT&T until 2012?

23 May 2007 14:02 by DVDBack23

The Apple iPhone set for release next month in North America, has allegedly made a carrier exclusivity agreement with At&T, a deal that would finish in 2012.
Same here about 5 year contract, and a chunk of revenue from contracts, but nothing certain.The deal is, and you'd know this if you watched the Macworld '07 keynote speech where the iPhone was unveiled, is that Apple pitched this idea to the phone companies, with NO product developed. Sight-unseen was the term the Cingular CEO used when describing how it was pitched. But the guy, to his credit, saw how good Jobs was doing with Apple and gambled. Verizon didn't and neither did the other companies. Cingular was the best one that was available that was willing to work with Apple to develop this phone.

Apple needed the agreement to develop, in tandem with cingular, an ability to do visual voicemail and other services that required detailed knowledge and teamwork upon the framework of the cellular system. Because Cingular was willing to commit to apple, who had no product, and work with them to develop services that the iphone could utilize, Apple in return gave them a longer than normal exclusivity contract.

Cingular gambled by working with Apple on a phone that didn't exist, giving apple access to their cellular system to make changes that would make the iphone special, and in return for Cingulars faith in apple (which was necessary to make the kind of phone apple wanted to make) Apple signed a long-term deal with Cingular. It really sounds like a good deal for both companies.

Same here about 5 year contract, and a chunk of revenue from contracts, but nothing certain.The deal is, and you'd know this if you watched the Macworld '07 keynote speech where the iPhone was unveiled, is that Apple pitched this idea to the phone companies, with NO product developed. Sight-unseen was the term the Cingular CEO used when describing how it was pitched. But the guy, to his credit, saw how good Jobs was doing with Apple and gambled. Verizon didn't and neither did the other companies. Cingular was the best one that was available that was willing to work with Apple to develop this phone.Apple needed the agreement to develop, in tandem with cingular, an ability to do visual voicemail and other services that required detailed knowledge and teamwork upon the framework of the cellular system. Because Cingular was willing to commit to apple, who had no product, and work with them to develop services that the iphone could utilize, Apple in return gave them a longer than normal exclusivity contract. Cingular gambled by working with Apple on a phone that didn't exist, giving apple access to their cellular system to make changes that would make the iphone special, and in return for Cingulars faith in apple (which was necessary to make the kind of phone apple wanted to make) Apple signed a long-term deal with Cingular. It really sounds like a good deal for both companies.
Well, you can bet that the iPhone was in development long before Apple began contract negotiations with the carriers. You're right in that AT&T agreed without seeing the product, but I guarentee it wasn't pre-development. Jobs notoriously plays his cards close to the vest. There was simply no way he was going to show the iPhone around to the competition before an agreement was signed. But you're right in that AT&T made a huge gamble going into this blind, and I agree that the five year contract was their incentive in taking the risk.

I need 2 of the following to consider the iphone

3G

office app compatibility

fully java enabled browser - ie i can submit my lineup in MFL with it

$399 and renew my contract no matter when my last upgrade was...

Same here about 5 year contract, and a chunk of revenue from contracts, but nothing certain.The deal is, and you'd know this if you watched the Macworld '07 keynote speech where the iPhone was unveiled, is that Apple pitched this idea to the phone companies, with NO product developed. Sight-unseen was the term the Cingular CEO used when describing how it was pitched. But the guy, to his credit, saw how good Jobs was doing with Apple and gambled. Verizon didn't and neither did the other companies. Cingular was the best one that was available that was willing to work with Apple to develop this phone.Apple needed the agreement to develop, in tandem with cingular, an ability to do visual voicemail and other services that required detailed knowledge and teamwork upon the framework of the cellular system. Because Cingular was willing to commit to apple, who had no product, and work with them to develop services that the iphone could utilize, Apple in return gave them a longer than normal exclusivity contract. Cingular gambled by working with Apple on a phone that didn't exist, giving apple access to their cellular system to make changes that would make the iphone special, and in return for Cingulars faith in apple (which was necessary to make the kind of phone apple wanted to make) Apple signed a long-term deal with Cingular. It really sounds like a good deal for both companies.
Well, you can bet that the iPhone was in development long before Apple began contract negotiations with the carriers. You're right in that AT&T agreed without seeing the product, but I guarentee it wasn't pre-development. Jobs notoriously plays his cards close to the vest. There was simply no way he was going to show the iPhone around to the competition before an agreement was signed. But you're right in that AT&T made a huge gamble going into this blind, and I agree that the five year contract was their incentive in taking the risk.
Yeah, I'm sure they had the touch screen going, the ipod integration and all - you're right. I doubt they had much of the phone functions working though, without detailed access to the network, and visual voicemail was still just a concept. Great vision by Cingular though to do this. I left them and went to Verizon because of poor service, but with their network upgrades and partnering with apple, I'm coming back. Good business move.

noneother said:
I need 2 of the following to consider the iphone3Goffice app compatibilityfully java enabled browser - ie i can submit my lineup in MFL with it$399 and renew my contract no matter when my last upgrade was...
1. Are you on 3G right now? Only a small percentage (10%) of the U.S. has 3G, mostly around the big cities. Does the Detroit market currently offer it?2. It's compatible with Office in that you can sync with Outlook calendars and address books, and set your Outlook/Entourage to IMAP and pull down your emails. The iPhone will never fully integrate with Microsoft's push email services like a Blackberry, that's proprietary and they would have to pay Microsoft to do it.3. I'm not a techno-web guy, but everything I've read says that client-side Java is practically extinct, except in very few instances. Are you sure you're not confusing Java with Javascript, with which the iPhone is fully compatible? My recommendation would be to turn off Java and Flash on your desktop browser and surf for a bit to see what the iPhone experience would be.4. Highly doubt it will fall to $399. They need to keep the price structure in line with the iPods. The iPhone does so much more than even the high-end iPods. They can't undercut and cannibalize their iPod sales.

FWIW:

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB118....html?mod=blogs

ETA: Seems to me they'd think about this before producing the phone. Seems like a HUGE market to miss out on :rolleyes:
...one step at a time
:shrug: I guess I see it differently. To me it's like a sky diving instructor shoving a student to the dive platform all the while the student is asking, "What about my parachutte?" and the instructor replying "We'll do that next time" and shoving him out the door :lmao: Not that I think the phone will fail without the market. They'd better start thinking about allowing other carriers in though.

FWIW:

ETA: Seems to me they'd think about this before producing the phone. Seems like a HUGE market to miss out on :lmao:
...one step at a time
:lmao: I guess I see it differently. To me it's like a sky diving instructor shoving a student to the dive platform all the while the student is asking, "What about my parachutte?" and the instructor replying "We'll do that next time" and shoving him out the door :loco: Not that I think the phone will fail without the market. They'd better start thinking about allowing other carriers in though.
It's actually more like a diving instructor shoving a student to the dive platform, the student asks "What about my parachute?" and the instructor replys "This is a a scuba diving class, dummy" and shoving him into the water. ;) This is the drawback to the massive hype. The expectation that the iPhone needs to be everything to everyone. What blogs like this are missing is that Apple isn't targeting the serious business user with the iPhone. Plain and simple. Colin had a great post about this in Joe's Outlook thread.

Would it be nice to get into that market, sure. But not at the expense of licensing a competitor's software to make it happen. Apple has always failed when they try to cater to the business world. But the global cell phone market is HUGE, so much bigger than the MP3 market. Apple will consider themselves successful if they just hit their target 10% market share by next year. Any more than that is gravy. They don't need iPod-like domination here to be successful.

FWIW:

ETA: Seems to me they'd think about this before producing the phone. Seems like a HUGE market to miss out on :thumbdown:
...one step at a time
:rolleyes: I guess I see it differently. To me it's like a sky diving instructor shoving a student to the dive platform all the while the student is asking, "What about my parachutte?" and the instructor replying "We'll do that next time" and shoving him out the door :popcorn: Not that I think the phone will fail without the market. They'd better start thinking about allowing other carriers in though.
It's actually more like a diving instructor shoving a student to the dive platform, the student asks "What about my parachute?" and the instructor replys "This is a a scuba diving class, dummy" and shoving him into the water. :thumbup: This is the drawback to the massive hype. The expectation that the iPhone needs to be everything to everyone. What blogs like this are missing is that Apple isn't targeting the serious business user with the iPhone. Plain and simple. Colin had a great post about this in Joe's Outlook thread.

Would it be nice to get into that market, sure. But not at the expense of licensing a competitor's software to make it happen. Apple has always failed when they try to cater to the business world. But the global cell phone market is HUGE, so much bigger than the MP3 market. Apple will consider themselves successful if they just hit their target 10% market share by next year. Any more than that is gravy. They don't need iPod-like domination here to be successful.
FWIW, their failure in just about any market at any point before their switch to intel (speaking here specifically about the business market) may not be comparable to their current position.I know it's easy to look back on the past and say that they've been unable to capture the business segment, so the future will probably be like that, but to do so would be a mistake IMO. If they continue rolling out software integrated with hardware like they're doing, with intel processors, with multi-OS support, I see them making progress in the business side, specifically servers, in the next few years. This isn't their first battlefield, the business sector. They're battling on the consumer side, and once they get their warez in that arena, they'll be in prime position to move to the business sector.

As far as the iPhone goes, it has the capability to integrate with a corporate email structure via safari. There would need to be customized software developed by companies, but I don't think that'd be a huge problem if the demand and benefits were great enough. Also, don't put it past apple to come up with a software update to their iphone which would make this much easier.

Regardless, the iphone is primarily focused on and geared towards consumers, and IMO it has an eye to the future on business users, much like the rest of their computer lines. Get foot in door with consumers, expand product awareness, gain market share in consumer electronics, expand to business more easily with increased consumer awareness of benefits of apple stuff.

If you think about it, very few people understand how wonderful apple software and hardware is. The macbook pro's are near top of the line laptops in all markets. They carry a high price tag, but the quality is undeniable. People have old stereotypes (as did I) with mac products from before their transformation a few years ago. That transformation is only now starting to be seen by normal consumers, but it will grow. As it grows, people will begin switching to macs, aided in part by ipods, aided in part by familiarity with the iphone interface, and as consumer share increases, more pressure will be applied in the business world to adopt apple products, and there will be more willingness to do try out their commercial solutions.

Interesting, YouTube now occupies the 12th icon spot on the iPhone main menu. This is a great example of how the iPhone's funtionality is expandable through software updates.

Apple has added a new demo on their website.

iPhone has a special YouTube player that you can launch right from the home screen. So now you can access and browse YouTube videos wherever you go. And when you find a video you want to send your friends, iPhone can even create an email with the link in it for you.
YouTube on iPhoneThe videos will be h.264 instead of Flash, allowing the iPhone to use dedicated hardware instead of taxing the CPU to run them.

Both AppleTV and the iPhone will play YouTube content that has been reencoded into the h.264 video format. 10,000 of YouTube's videos have been converted so far with the remainder expected by the fall.

The press release claims that h.264 was chosen "to achieve higher video quality and longer battery life on mobile devices".

Indeed, reports coming out of WWDC is that one of Apple's justifications of avoiding Flash video playback on the iPhone is for improved battery life. The iPhone contains dedicated hardware capable of playing h.264 content, while Flash content would require more intensive use of the iPhone's CPU, resulting in higher battery drain.

I need 2 of the following to consider the iphone3Goffice app compatibilityfully java enabled browser - ie i can submit my lineup in MFL with it$399 and renew my contract no matter when my last upgrade was...
1. Are you on 3G right now? Only a small percentage (10%) of the U.S. has 3G, mostly around the big cities. Does the Detroit market currently offer it?2. It's compatible with Office in that you can sync with Outlook calendars and address books, and set your Outlook/Entourage to IMAP and pull down your emails. The iPhone will never fully integrate with Microsoft's push email services like a Blackberry, that's proprietary and they would have to pay Microsoft to do it.3. I'm not a techno-web guy, but everything I've read says that client-side Java is practically extinct, except in very few instances. Are you sure you're not confusing Java with Javascript, with which the iPhone is fully compatible? My recommendation would be to turn off Java and Flash on your desktop browser and surf for a bit to see what the iPhone experience would be.4. Highly doubt it will fall to $399. They need to keep the price structure in line with the iPods. The iPhone does so much more than even the high-end iPods. They can't undercut and cannibalize their iPod sales.
excellent responses... its javascript... like I said.. if I can get MFL working, I am happy.....3G no... it's a psychological thing... that cash makes me think I need 3G... not sure if we have 3G here in Detroit I currently don't have it, and I want the bigger bandwidth and speed...Office, I use GMAIL for all my email outlook type stuff, have to think as close as Google and apple have been, using my address book in GMAIL will prolly accomodate me goodI want to read/write word excel...give me two of the above, use MFL.com , edit EXCEL apps, or 3G.. and I drop 5oo and soon as the fanfare dies down.. or see if version 2 comes out before xmas....

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder why people are downplaying the iPhone when it comes to business. The iPhone is and was never geared towards the business crowd. The iPhone is not trying to be everything for everybody.

There is a large market for the iPhone and its capabilities. The pie is a large thing right now... a small piece is all Apple wants and will get.

Challenge Everything said:
I wonder why people are downplaying the iPhone when it comes to business. The iPhone is and was never geared towards the business crowd. The iPhone is not trying to be everything for everybody.There is a large market for the iPhone and its capabilities. The pie is a large thing right now... a small piece is all Apple wants and will get.
Is it an Apple pie?

3. I'm not a techno-web guy, but everything I've read says that client-side Java is practically extinct, except in very few instances. Are you sure you're not confusing Java with Javascript, with which the iPhone is fully compatible? My recommendation would be to turn off Java and Flash on your desktop browser and surf for a bit to see what the iPhone experience would be.
Thanks goon. I'm very interested in how this goes. Their ads are fantastic. The "watered down" one especially where it talks about this isn't a mobile version of the internet or a scaled down version of the internet. This is the...internet on your cell phone. Period.With that ad, I would fully expect to be able to do anything and everything on a web page that I can do with my normal desktop. That absolutely means entering my roster in MFL whatever technology that takes.Backpedals like, "well it really doesn't do that because that's a flash technology thing" will not fly at all after those ads. It's fine not to be able to do certain things. But not after those "not watered down" ads.J

valhallan said:
noneother said:
fully java enabled browser - ie i can submit my lineup in MFL with it
In case you hadn't noticed (I just did), MFL added more "wireless" functionality this year and you can submit your line-up without java.
please direct me to this info.. MFL help, and community found little searching for the word "mobile"

The reasons I'll be getting an iphone next friday:

1. Consolidation - Currently I carry around a bulky samsung sch-i730. It's OK, but even I, a relative computer geek, have trouble using it to its fullest potential. The interface is cumbersome (WM5), programs hang up, I have to reset my phone a few times every day or two, extra programs are needed to do the basic things I want (managed ringtones, weather reports, games, etc) and they all seem to be buggy.

In addition to my samsung, I carry around a 4gb ipod-mini that i've had for about 2 years. I love it, but it's getting old and worn down. The dial is kinda depressed, and the earphones are bent, but I use it almost every day. I can't wait to integrate the two together, and all in a slimmer body than even my slim ipod.

2. Google maps, on my phone, for free. MAN, will I get some use out of this app. I can't count how many times I've needed the number for a local business, directions, ideas for food while i'm out with friends, etc. Google maps will be used all the time by me while i'm out, and odds are people will call me for directions or for numbers, like I have to call people now who are on computers to give me a number or directions using google maps online. This will be excellent! And traffic reports? Are you kidding me? (not in my area, i'm sure, currently, but eventually it'll find its way to my locale).

3. Video Ipod - my old mini doesn't play videos, and I can easily see ripping some of my dvd's or even converting some divx's I have on my computer so that they'll play on my phone while I'm travelling or bored. This is lagniappe, but still will be nice.

4. Functionality - I call this "apps that do what they're supposed to". My phone currently has trouble switching between profiles, such as work profiles, or home, with different ringers, different screen settings, etc, such that sometimes parts of the phone will be stuck in a previous mode. This is primarily due to buggy third party software, but the bad thing is that the phone doesn't come with good enough native support to switch modes without the other software. The iPhone will.

5. Internet function - I can surf the real internet from my phone, at local wifi spots. I won't be paying for a data plan, primarily because I'm neither important enough for it, nor am I rich enough to afford such a luxury. I'll make do with free hotspots, and will count on apple's well-known ability to make wifi effortless, unlike the wifi connection on my samsung which is a pain in the rear to get to work.

Other: Make no mistake, there's a huge coolness factor to this gadget. I'm fully sold on apple, and I really want to experience their newest product asap. Touch screen, integrated device. It'll go great with the macbook pro I'll be getting later this year, finances allowing.

So yeah, I'm getting it primarily to consolidate my smartphone and my ipod, and for the google maps application. I couldn't care much less about youtube. I feel that MS Office apps, via google office, will be introduced soon in an offline-version, much like google maps, on the iphone.

I do believe that if you're not totally lusting after this device, that waiting until the next revision would be wise. I have no need for a 3G phone, or for a higher MP camera, or really for more storage space. I'm sure all of these, along with hardware revision made to make the iphone more robust, will be coming in iphone 2.0.

Has there been any indication if Google maps on the device requires internet connection? Will a person have to have a data plan or a wifi-connection to use it? I sure hope not.

adonis said:
The reasons I'll be getting an iphone next friday:1. Consolidation 2. Google maps3. Video Ipod 4. Functionality 5. Internet function
:goodposting: I get all that on my $79 Motorola Q.
Hi NB,But you're overlooking the most important part of the post.
Other: Make no mistake, there's a huge coolness factor to this gadget. I'm fully sold on apple, and I really want to experience their newest product asap. Touch screen, integrated device. It'll go great with the macbook pro I'll be getting later this year, finances allowing.
J

Challenge Everything said:
I wonder why people are downplaying the iPhone when it comes to business. The iPhone is and was never geared towards the business crowd. The iPhone is not trying to be everything for everybody.There is a large market for the iPhone and its capabilities. The pie is a large thing right now... a small piece is all Apple wants and will get.
:lmao:

adonis said:
The reasons I'll be getting an iphone next friday:1. Consolidation 2. Google maps3. Video Ipod 4. Functionality 5. Internet function
:thumbup: I get all that on my $79 Motorola Q.
J
Very true. It just struck me as I was going down his numbered list that I already had all that. I don't dispute the coolness factor at all. Just for me, it's not like it's several hundred dollars worth of coolness. No doubt Apple got a huge hot on their hands once again - but let's call it what it is: a cool gadget. Now if someone could combine a decent cell phone with a Sony PSP, that's some coolness I would pay some $$$ for.

adonis said:
:thumbup: I get all that on my $79 Motorola Q.
J
Very true. It just struck me as I was going down his numbered list that I already had all that. I don't dispute the coolness factor at all. Just for me, it's not like it's several hundred dollars worth of coolness. No doubt Apple got a huge hot on their hands once again - but let's call it what it is: a cool gadget. Now if someone could combine a decent cell phone with a Sony PSP, that's some coolness I would pay some $$$ for.
Yeah. But a simple feature comparison really doesn't do the iphone justice, or most any products for that matter. A huge part of what apple is able to do is to make the using process pleasant enough that you enjoy using your device to its potential.For instance, looking at operating systems, feature-wise, I can't imagine why people don't see the benefits of running linux on their computers. Honestly, not as a joke. It's free, it has all the features anyone would ever want. Programs are open source, and there is a wide variety of options. I use it all the time at work and love it for what I use it for. With it's low cost, it's feature rich offerings, and its increasing acceptance, why don't people see the goodness that is Linux? The thing is, people don't understand how to use the interface. It's work to get it to do what you want. All of the features linux offers don't amount to anything if people don't or can't use it. Windows is much better at appealing to users than Linux, and so is Mac OS X, hence their higher user numbers. So simply by comparing features, Linux would stand toe-to-toe with the other two major OS's, but it's clear that a simple feature comparison doesn't do justice to the actual user experience. In other words, a simple "my phone can do that too" doesn't work here because the question is, "how well does your phone do that?" and most people, myself included, have to say that their phone does that very poorly.The ipod and other mp3 players used to be the same way, back when apple broke into the market. They were the first ones to do it right. They made their devices accessible to everyone, no learning curve, easy to use, a pleasure to operate. The iPod was also very appealing to the eye, and along with its hip/catchy commercials, it had the IT factor, the coolness factor that people wanted. But this was largely enabled by its functional appeal. I see the iphone as offering that same functional appeal. I can't tell you how many people don't understand their basic phones well enough to do much of anything beyond dialing numbers and calling them. I have friends who have phones that can play mp3's who never use it for that purpose because it's so hard to do. Hell, some Chocolate phone my friend got, she came to me, a technical savvy guy, and I couldn't even figure out how to play songs on it - even after reading the manual. So comparing her phone to the iphone, even though the features may be similar, is WAY off to saying which one a person would be happier using. And I much prefer to use a phone that I'm happy using, for the functions I want to use it for, than one I have to work at to get it to do what I want. I'll gladly pay more for a phone that's a pleasure to use, that makes my tasks easy and intuitive for me, over a phone that touts similar functions but leaves me wanting in ease-of-use.If you're happy with your $79 Moto Q, and its interface is good for you, and you use its functions to the fullest,there's no reason to get an iphone. I have an expensive smartphone that i barely use because I hate the interface. I believe apple will do it right, and all indications, demo's, tutorials indicate that this is the case. I guess I'll find out friday whether it is a good idea or not. Maybe, the true test is how many of its functions will I be using 3 months from now, because everytime i get a new gadget, I use it a lot, but drop it quickly. My ipod hasn't been like that, I wonder if the iphone will be. With the phone, google maps, and integrated ipod, I doubt it.BTW, just to add, the most important part of my reason to buy an iphone is not because it's cool, but because I believe it will do what I want it to better than any other phone out there. The user experience will be better, and I'll get more use out of that phone, than I would any other that I've seen. The same is true for the macbook pro, but for different reasons. I'm getting one of those because it runs on a UNIX core, and from work I love Linux and can heavily utilize the command prompt in OS X to do work from home. Plus, the notebooks performance is one of the best across all notebooks out there. Anyways, just wanted to add that while "coolness factor" is a part of my reasoning for getting the phone and notebook, other factors weigh much more.

It looks awesome, but I still wonder what will happen when you have the phone pressed against your ear. Otherwise we'll see a huge increase in something I hate. People talking via speaker phone.

Apple's released iPhone's service plan. Not as bad as I thought it would be at all.

- $59.99 for 450 voice minutes

- $79.99 for 900 voice minutes

- $99.99 for 1,350 voice minutes

includes unlimited data.

Apple's released iPhone's service plan. Not as bad as I thought it would be at all.

includes unlimited data.
There's an activation fee and you are locked into a contract for 2 years. Those rates aren't looking so hot but I'm sure many will jump in anyways.

includes unlimited data.
There's an activation fee and you are locked into a contract for 2 years. Those rates aren't looking so hot but I'm sure many will jump in anyways.
I still don't understand the justification for requiring 2 year contracts. THe phone isn't being subsidized, so why 2 years? That's my biggest sticking point and the only thing that's giving me doubt about getting a phone.The plans are reasonable, if not a bit sneaky in not allowing plans without data. I don't like it much, but I get a discount with my monthly bill that should bring it down to a reasonable number.

I'll try my best to have them give me only a 1 year contract, but if not, I guess i'm in for 2 :unsure: .

includes unlimited data.
They also said this:
In addition, iPhone customers can choose from any of AT&T’s standard service plans.
Truth be told though, $59.99 is a pretty decent deal for phone with unlimited data.

includes unlimited data.
They also said this:
In addition, iPhone customers can choose from any of AT&T’s standard service plans.
Truth be told though, $59.99 is a pretty decent deal for phone with unlimited data.
The 59.99 isn't too bad I guess (I personally have a cheaper plan that is half this price, with more minutes, and unlimited data), but how will this plan compare in a year when there is still 1 year remaining on the original contract?

includes unlimited data.
They also said this:
The 59.99 isn't too bad I guess (I personally have a cheaper plan that is half this price, with more minutes, and unlimited data), but how will this plan compare in a year when there is still 1 year remaining on the original contract?
Which company?

includes unlimited data.
They also said this:
Which company?
My plan is with Sprint. It would be nice to see the iPhone work with more carriers.

59.99 is only about $10 more than my current plan with AT&T and I don't have unlimited data (although my plan is a year and half old.) I usually sign up thru the corporate discounts my company gives me, I wonder if those will still apply to the iphone and it's plans.

I'd like one of these to replace my RAZR that's on the fritz, but just think how bad the shortages on this thing are going to be from now until after X-mas!

Anyways, just wanted to add that while "coolness factor" is a part of my reasoning for getting the phone and notebook, other factors weigh much more.
Thanks Adonis. Obviously I don't doubt you here. But I think a huge number of iphone buyers, are not in that camp. J

Real Cost of iPhone: Service Plan Revealed

Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:14PM EDT

See Comments (774)

At long last the final shoe on iPhone has dropped: The cost of voice and data plans that you'll have to buy from AT&T when you purchase the device. The good news: It's not as bad as some had feared. The bad news: It's still going to cost you a pretty penny if you're used to paying $40 a month for a basic service plan.

Here's the damage: $60 a month for 450 minutes. $80 for 900 minutes. $100 for 1350 minutes. If you need even more minutes, plans continue to climb up to $220 a month for a whopping 6000 minutes. The good news: All plans include unlimited email and web, rollover minutes, unlimited mobile-to-mobile, and 200 text messages a month. All except the cheapest plan include unlimited nights and weekends minutes; the cheapest plan includes a mere 5000 of those. Contrary to earlier rumors there is no voice-only option for the iPhone: Remember you need data service to do all the cool email/web/mapping business that makes iPhone an iPhone, otherwise you've pretty much got a pretty brick in your pocket that can play Avril Lavigne tunes. Additional details are here.

Is this a good deal? Let's compare. AT&T's cheapest voice-only plan costs $40 a month for 450 minutes, 5000 nights and weekend minutes, and no data services at all. (Even text messages are about 15 cents a pop.) Adding $20 a month for unlimited web isn't a bad deal. For the $60 of the iPhone's cheapest plan, you can get AT&T's 900-minute plan with no data service.

Looking at it another way, AT&T's Messaging Unlimited plan (unlimited MMS/SMS messages) costs $20 a month extra. Its unlimited messaging and media plan (which gives you access to cellular video as well) costs another $40 a month. The company has a variety of data plans for web browsing phones. The closest to what the iPhone gets you is SmartPhone Max, at $30 extra per month.

Whew, that's a lot of numbers. Putting it all together, designing a comparable plan to iPhone's $60 service on AT&T with a non-iPhone device would actually cost about $70 a month. Believe it or not, iPhone service is actually a bargain!

On the other hand, $60 a month or more isn't cheap. Over the life of the phone that equates to $1,440. Add in the price of the phone and activation fees and the cheapest amount you'll spend on an iPhone over the next two years is $1,975. You can almost buy a brand new MacBook Pro for that outlay. And don't forget the cancellation fee you'll pay on your old phone...

Overall I'm pleased. AT&T could have gouged consumers with a $100/month plan and few people would have flinched. Instead the company is offering an affordable option that should help to ease the sting of that initial $500 or $600 outlay. That said, I'm sure many will still find the plan too expensive. As always, I await your thoughts, opinions, and rants on the topic.

I have been living in the dark ages for quite some time now by not having a cell phone or an ipod. This seems to be exactly what I have been waiting for.

Get an iphone for $300.

Full Text link

Here's my summary of the idea, which i'm not 100% sold on, but might be sold enough on it to try :excited: .

Generally, amazon gives rebates for people who switch providers. Many of these rebates are for phones which are free to begin with ($0.01) and that results in getting money to switch providers, plus a free phone. Their idea is that because AT&T isn't offering rebates or incentives to switch, that people should go to amazon, get a free phone with a $175 rebate, activate THAT phone, then buy the iphone, and sell the cheapo phone while activating the iphone and upgrading to the new plan.

The basic steps would be:

1. Have existing service with another carrier than AT&T.

2. Go to amazon.com and buy a $0.01 phone with a $175 rebate from AT&T and switch to their service.

3. Activate said phone, porting old number to AT&T

4. Buy an iPhone on Friday for the full price, like you'd have to do anyways.

5. Upgrade your account to make use of the iPhone (add data plan for $20, same price as iplan)

6. Sell cheapo phone from amazon for $25ish on ebay.

7. Viola

What do you guys think of this scrategy? I don't see much harm here in trying. Basically no downside, and a potential $200 upside. Am I overlooking anything?

ETA: Won't work! Well, not as well as advertised at least. You can still get the $75 back, which isn't bad, but the $100 AT&T rebate linked on amazon will not work, according to the last line on the rebate. Something about not being valid if it drops the total price of the phone below $0.00 . Anyways, the $75 amazon rebate will still be honored though and it may be worthwhile just to TRY the AT&T rebate, on the off chance they'll take it (unlikely). Regardless, you get $75 and a pretty good free phone, for no extra cost and only a little extra hassle.

Just got off the phone with someone in Manhattan. He said that there was a guy in line offering to sell his spot for $5000. He asked him if he was serious. Guy replied that someone had already offered him $4500. I guess he's holding out for $5K

:rolleyes:

Just got off the phone with someone in Manhattan. He said that there was a guy in line offering to sell his spot for $5000. He asked him if he was serious. Guy replied that someone had already offered him $4500. I guess he's holding out for $5K :excited:
that's gotta be B.S.

Users who are viewing this thread