What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:MERGED: Willis McGahee of the Toronto Bills? (1 Viewer)

SuperJohn96

RPS World Champion
Paternity suits, contract extension demands, and now this...

Willis is just BEGGING to be moved with these type of actions...

Rough Week For Willis McGahee

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 10:01 AM - Nick Mendola - WGR 550

(WGR 550)- A double dose of bad publicity for Bills runningback Willis McGahee in The Miami Herald and Penthouse magazine, as a paternity suit and a candid interview regarding Bills fans and the team's future in Buffalo became public.

First, the Penthouse interview. When asked about the possibility of an NFL team in Toronto, McGahee said, "That would be a good situation. Toronto is a beautiful place. But if they're going to put a team there, they should just bring the Buffalo Bills to Toronto. Case closed."

McGahee also said he owes the Bills organization for taking a chance on him.

"I got a lotta love for Buffalo," he said. "I thank God for the whole situation. I'm trying to make them proud. I'm trying to do some things here."

When asked about the intensity of Bills fans, McGahee said, "A true Buffalo fan will tell a Bills player, 'You can't do this, you can't do that.' But once that player performs it's like, 'I told y'all he was the best player.'"

All this comes on the heels of a Miami Herald report that McGahee is facing his third paternity suit in two years. He's paying child support in two cases, and a third is pending. The three children were born between Jan. 2005 and Jan. 2006.

Keep it locked at WGR Sportsradio 550 for any and all details as they become available.
I haven't listened to the Buffalo station yet today, but I heard this story on Toronto station and they said the Buffalo radio station is beseiged with angry fans calling in.There is nothing worth anything in Buffalo except the Bills. They will kill him if he stays.

So if this move forces a move, where could he go? And for what/who?

link

Last edited by a moderator:
In other news, Willis McGahee is doing his best to become the NFL version of Shawn Kemp

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20070110/2048388.asp

McGahee sued for paternity

1/10/2007

Buffalo Bills running back Willis McGahee is facing his third paternity suit in two years, according to the Miami Herald.

Keisha Walls, 27, an elementary school teacher, claims McGahee is the father of son Kai Walls, who was born April 19, 2006. McGahee also fathered Willis McGahee IV, born Jan. 6, 2006 to Chiniqua Smith, 26, and Bria McGahee, born Jan. 17, 2005 to Dorothy Doretha McNeil, 29. McGahee, 25, was declared the biological father in those cases and is paying child support.

The Miami Herald reported that Walls met McGahee in Miami during a college break. Walls was married at the time, but said she was estranged from her husband when Kai was conceived. They are now in divorce court. Her husband took a paternity test, which she said was negative.

"I don't sleep around," Walls told the Herald. "It was Willis."

Non-story.People in Buffalo are just angry that they live in Buffalo.Will be forgotten about in a couple days.
LOL...you might be right...
So he wants to go to Canada to have the gov't pay for his kids' health care?We're focused on the Stanley Cup up here. Its obvious Willis didn't do much studying at the U, so I'm not going to concern myself with any of his ramblings. Tell him to enjoy the Florida sun and work his tail off this offseason because he needs a much better performance next year to score that fat contract that will allow him to support his 'family'.

I searched the first few pages but didn't see an mention of this.

On the buffalo radio stations this was huge news the last 2 days, but no mention of it anywhere else. I guess willis mcgahee is quoted in an issue of Penthouse saying how much he dislikes the city of Buffalo, and one of the more troubling commens was that he thought the bills should just move to Toronto if there was ever going to be a team there. I have no link, haven't seen the article, just been hearing it on local radio for the last 2 days.

As a big Bills fan, i wouldn't mind seeing this guy go anyways, but this all but sealed his fate as a bill as far as I'm concerned. That also seems to be the general consensus with all the people calling in and the radio hosts.

Just wondering if anyone heard of this, or think theres anyway Buffalo would keep him on the team after making comments like that.

I searched the first few pages but didn't see an mention of this.

On the buffalo radio stations this was huge news the last 2 days, but no mention of it anywhere else. I guess willis mcgahee is quoted in an issue of Penthouse saying how much he dislikes the city of Buffalo, and one of the more troubling commens was that he thought the bills should just move to Toronto if there was ever going to be a team there. I have no link, haven't seen the article, just been hearing it on local radio for the last 2 days.

As a big Bills fan, i wouldn't mind seeing this guy go anyways, but this all but sealed his fate as a bill as far as I'm concerned. That also seems to be the general consensus with all the people calling in and the radio hosts.

Just wondering if anyone heard of this, or think theres anyway Buffalo would keep him on the team after making comments like that.
It's like 10 posts down.What did you search under?

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=300591

good post from a :honda:

I searched the first few pages but didn't see an mention of this. On the buffalo radio stations this was huge news the last 2 days, but no mention of it anywhere else. I guess willis mcgahee is quoted in an issue of Penthouse saying how much he dislikes the city of Buffalo, and one of the more troubling commens was that he thought the bills should just move to Toronto if there was ever going to be a team there. I have no link, haven't seen the article, just been hearing it on local radio for the last 2 days. As a big Bills fan, i wouldn't mind seeing this guy go anyways, but this all but sealed his fate as a bill as far as I'm concerned. That also seems to be the general consensus with all the people calling in and the radio hosts. Just wondering if anyone heard of this, or think theres anyway Buffalo would keep him on the team after making comments like that.

Non-story.People in Buffalo are just angry that they live in Buffalo.Will be forgotten about in a couple days.
LOL...you might be right...
So he wants to go to Canada to have the gov't pay for his kids' health care?We're focused on the Stanley Cup up here. Its obvious Willis didn't do much studying at the U, so I'm not going to concern myself with any of his ramblings. Tell him to enjoy the Florida sun and work his tail off this offseason because he needs a much better performance next year to score that fat contract that will allow him to support his 'family'.
You do realize he thinks that Canada is just another state, so he has no idea about your silly laws.

look im for an NFL team in Toronto.. but the Bills???

id rather have ANYONE than the bills.

(sorry Aaron).

look im for an NFL team in Toronto.. but the Bills???id rather have ANYONE than the bills.(sorry Aaron).
Having lived in Toronto for 21 years before moving out west I can tell you that the Bills would be the most logical choice if the NFL were to move a team to T.O. (Toronto not Terrell Owens). I guarantee you the Bills currently have a larger fan base in T.O than they do in Buffalo. Not to mention it's a short commute for the fans in Buffalo to go see their team on Sunday. I can see how people across the US would think that what Willis is saying is a big deal but I'm sure he was just taken out of context. For a guy who is aware of the situation in Buffalo it's not really that big a deal. If the Bills didn't have the support of fans in Toronto they would have gone under long ago. I don't think he's saying he'd rather play in Toronto than Buffalo (although, who wouldn't). I think he's just saying Toronto practically has a team already and it's the Buffalo Bills.

Maybe you have to be drinking Buffalo water to see this as trashing the team and forcing a move.

McGahee also said he owes the Bills organization for taking a chance on him.

"I got a lotta love for Buffalo," he said. "I thank God for the whole situation. I'm trying to make them proud. I'm trying to do some things here."
Maybe Willis is right.
When asked about the intensity of Bills fans, McGahee said, "A true Buffalo fan will tell a Bills player, 'You can't do this, you can't do that.' But once that player performs it's like, 'I told y'all he was the best player.'"
same link

As a Canadian....I am all for having an NFL team.

As I live about 2 hours from Toronto.

However, reality is the NFL will likely NEVER have a Canadian team.

Just my .02.

J-Rock said:
I guarantee you the Bills currently have a larger fan base in T.O than they do in Buffalo.
btw, this is a ridiculous statement. Toronto obviously has more people than Buffalo, but from everything I've seen there aren't that many Bills fans up there. Toronto supports the Leafs but isn't a very good sports town, IMO.Another major problem with the Bills or any other team moving to Toronto is that Toronto doesn't have an NFL quality stadium at the moment. The Skydome doesn't have enough capacity.If the Bills do ever move, Toronto is probably a better destination for them than someplace further away, but the Bills should still be able to stick around Buffalo for a little while longer.As for McGahee, him being unhappy in Buffalo is not going to be much of a surprise to anyone. I never quite understood Donahoe's fascination with drafting all those Miami players (McGahee, Parrish, Everett) as I can't see those guys wanting to stick around much after their rookie contract expires. Parrish was scared to leave his house the first time he saw snow on the ground.

What's McGahee's contract situation? Paternity suits have a funny way of making a player need a new deal ASAP.

there's a chance Willis holds out before next season begins if he really wants an extension or to be traded. He didn't have a great season this year though so he could also prefer to play out the last year of his contract in hopes of having a big year before becoming an unrestricted free agent. It doesn't seem like free agent RBs have received as much attention as top players at other positions in recent years so I'm not sure what the interest in him will be. But, if the Bills could get good value for him in a trade this offseason, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to consider dealing him. I would be content if he stuck around b/c I think he can be a very good RB, but I'm not convinced that he's not replaceable either.

J-Rock said:
I guarantee you the Bills currently have a larger fan base in T.O than they do in Buffalo.
btw, this is a ridiculous statement. Toronto obviously has more people than Buffalo, but from everything I've seen there aren't that many Bills fans up there. Toronto supports the Leafs but isn't a very good sports town, IMO.Another major problem with the Bills or any other team moving to Toronto is that Toronto doesn't have an NFL quality stadium at the moment. The Skydome doesn't have enough capacity.

If the Bills do ever move, Toronto is probably a better destination for them than someplace further away, but the Bills should still be able to stick around Buffalo for a little while longer.

As for McGahee, him being unhappy in Buffalo is not going to be much of a surprise to anyone. I never quite understood Donahoe's fascination with drafting all those Miami players (McGahee, Parrish, Everett) as I can't see those guys wanting to stick around much after their rookie contract expires. Parrish was scared to leave his house the first time he saw snow on the ground.
I respect your opinion but I have to disagree. Let's see... not a good sports town? Um the Raptors who have sucked for years have always had strong attendance... just look at them this year at this moment they have a better attendance record than the likes of Knicks, Boston, Philidelphia. Trust me the new shine has worn off a long time ago. The leafs sell out all the time. The new Major League Soccer team is already in the top 3 or 4 in attendance (this is the MLS just to let you know). While the Jays have struggled at the gate for a little while Toronto also had broken an attendance record and the Jays were always doing well in attendance until that strike happend which effected a large portion of the league. There is a huge buzz around that team now and their TV ratings last season (due to bringing back respectability) have soared. They will be fine. Now Chicago is a fine sports town, but let's be honest here... buffalo is not that good of a sports town. The Sabres when they sucked were bankrupt, the Bills last what 6 home games? Were not televised because they couldn't sell out. Buffalo Braves (now the clippers) of the NBA relocated.

:fishing:

Toronto has what, 4 million people? I'm pretty sure Blue Jays and Raptors tickets haven't been too tough to get in years past.

the idea of Toronto having more Bills fans than Buffalo is ridiculous. I'm sure there are some, but the city of Buffalo lives and dies (more often) with their sports teams.

the economy in Buffalo is the problem, not the passion for or interest in the teams...tough to buy tickets to games when you are making 30 grand a year and trying to support a family of 4.

Toronto has what, 4 million people? I'm pretty sure Blue Jays and Raptors tickets haven't been too tough to get in years past.
Actually the Greater Toronto Area is 6 million people. Buffalo has a population of 292 thousand. I used to live in Toronto, and there are lots of Bills fans there.

there are not more bills fans here than in Western N.Y.. no way!

think about it.. we dont have an NFL team we can piggyback on any team in the league, who in their right mind would choose the bills?!?

in all seriousness though, buffalo is not a bad sports town, you have a lot of fan support from WNY and Southern Ontario and that alone means a full house more or less.

Doo said:
He's already expressed he wanted a new contract talk this off-season. He has one year left on his current deal.
Out of morbid curiousity, who is his agent, anyone we ever heard of?
Drew Rosenhaus
Three paternity suits + Drew Rosenhaus + contract negotiations = A recipe for disaster
I hope it's the type of disaster that results in Willis wearing another team's uniform as soon as possible.Maybe they could trade him for Travis Henry. :goodposting:

Willis has worn out his welcome

1/16/2007

By JERRY SULLIVAN

Marv Levy has gotten a lot of credit for changing the culture of the Bills since taking over as general manager a year ago. Much of it is justified. Levy has instilled a renewed sense of camaraderie, and he has been firm in his commitment to players of high character and intellect.

But Levy can't have it both ways. The talk about character begins to ring hollow when his top running back, Willis McGahee, is embarrassing the franchise and the community at every turn.

McGahee has worn out his welcome in this town. It's pretty evident that he doesn't want to be here. From what I can gather, his recent request for a contract extension is a thinly veiled attempt to poison the waters with management and force a trade out of Buffalo.

Interviewed in this month's Penthouse Magazine, McGahee says it would be a "good situation" if the NFL had a team in Toronto. That's not all. McGahee says rather than put a team in Toronto, the NFL should move the Bills there. "Case closed," he says.

It's amazing to think McGahee could be so cavalier about the greatest fear of Bills' fans. He couldn't have picked a more ideal way to alienate himself from the local populace. His supporters, who patronize him as you would a recalcitrant 3-year-old, will say he was only kidding - as they did when McGahee said he didn't know it was fourth down in the season opener.

I stopped giving McGahee the benefit of the doubt long ago. In the Penthouse piece, he says there's nothing to do in Buffalo. OK, this isn't Los Angeles or Miami. But fans here don't need their millionaire athletes to rub their noses in it.

High character? Last week, it was reported in the Miami Herald that a woman had filed a paternity suit against McGahee. That makes three in 15 months for McGahee, by three different women. He has been declared the biological father in the other two cases and is paying child support.

Chiniqua Smith, one of the women getting support from McGahee, said she mainly wants her son - Willis McGahee IV - to have a father in his life, "not just every blue moon." Smith said "you can't hold a gun to someone's head" to force him to spend time with his child.

How do you preach character and justify keeping this sort of lowlife on your team? Owner Ralph Wilson said McGahee's off-field issues will weigh into any decision the team makes on a contract extension. Wilson wouldn't rule out an extension, but he seemed reluctant to give a monster payday to a running back he has termed a "disappointment."

"I've been in this game too long to have someone hold a hammer over my head," Wilson said Monday by phone.

McGahee isn't worth the trouble. He's an average running back. He's not worth the sort of investment that his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, is likely to seek (something in the four-year, $30 million range that Arizona gave Edgerrin James). The Bills could stand their ground and let him hold out of camp if that's his strategy. But that wouldn't be the best thing for a young, evolving football team.

They should trade him now. Get a draft pick, find a rookie to go with Anthony Thomas and move on. The running game might slip, but not significantly. Remember, the Bills didn't sell out their last four home games. There's a fragile connection with the fans right now. Taking a stand on McGahee will be a good bit of public relations.

McGahee isn't a very smart person or player. He misses holes. He misses blocks. And where the Buffalo community is concerned, he misses the point. He insults the town's intelligence, and Levy should know that. He's supposed to be in touch with the people here.

If Levy really gets it, he should get McGahee out of here. Case closed.
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20070116/1066004.asp

:banned:Toronto has what, 4 million people? I'm pretty sure Blue Jays and Raptors tickets haven't been too tough to get in years past.the idea of Toronto having more Bills fans than Buffalo is ridiculous. I'm sure there are some, but the city of Buffalo lives and dies (more often) with their sports teams.the economy in Buffalo is the problem, not the passion for or interest in the teams...tough to buy tickets to games when you are making 30 grand a year and trying to support a family of 4.
Ever tried to get Leafs tickets?I'll prep your kidney for the black market.Toronto supports winners and their hockey team (Leafs suck unfortunately).Jays sold out 50 000 tickets during their hay day.Good market.......but won't happen.

Ever tried to get Leafs tickets?I'll prep your kidney for the black market.Toronto supports winners and their hockey team (Leafs suck unfortunately).Jays sold out 50 000 tickets during their hay day.Good market.......but won't happen.
there are probably enough hockey fans in the Toronto area to support 3 NHL teams.but, NBA, MLB, and NFL? I don't really think most people there would care once the novelty wears off or the team has a few losing seasons in a row.

btw, this is a ridiculous statement. Toronto obviously has more people than Buffalo, but from everything I've seen there aren't that many Bills fans up there. Toronto supports the Leafs but isn't a very good sports town, IMO.Another major problem with the Bills or any other team moving to Toronto is that Toronto doesn't have an NFL quality stadium at the moment. The Skydome doesn't have enough capacity.If the Bills do ever move, Toronto is probably a better destination for them than someplace further away, but the Bills should still be able to stick around Buffalo for a little while longer.
Being a Canadian, with alot of family in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) there are a TON of Bills fans in the GTA. Maybe not in the city itself, but on the whole, the GTA feels Buffalo is it's NFL team.

I hope it's the type of disaster that results in Willis wearing another team's uniform as soon as possible.Maybe they could trade him for Travis Henry. :blackdot:
They are in position in the draft to _possibly_ get Peterson, definitely Lynch. Trade McGahee.

Football is bigger than basketball or Baseball in Canada...IMO.

It would work from a fan support standpoint, NO problem with only 8 dates to sell out. Sadly...it never will.

Willis McGahee is an elite talent. Put some better O-linemen in front of him and all of this negative talk will be forgotten. As far as a new contract, it will get done. the kid has earned it.

Willis McGahee is an elite talent. Put some better O-linemen in front of him and all of this negative talk will be forgotten. As far as a new contract, it will get done. the kid has earned it.
You need to curtail his interviews, Drew.Oh, and buy him some condoms.

Drew Rosenhaus said:
is it true that other teams have been calling you & are prepared to pay the big money for willis if BUF doesn't?

It hasn't been mentioned, but isn't one of the problems of getting a competitive professional team in Canada the tax laws? I know that teams in low income tax rate states like Florida or Texas have a benefit in that their players keep more of their salaries, effectively raising their income above an identical contract in another state. So wouldn't Canada's higher tax rate put a Canadian team at a disadvantage in attracting players in a salary cap system?

Did that make any sense?

btw, this is a ridiculous statement. Toronto obviously has more people than Buffalo, but from everything I've seen there aren't that many Bills fans up there. Toronto supports the Leafs but isn't a very good sports town, IMO.Another major problem with the Bills or any other team moving to Toronto is that Toronto doesn't have an NFL quality stadium at the moment. The Skydome doesn't have enough capacity.

If the Bills do ever move, Toronto is probably a better destination for them than someplace further away, but the Bills should still be able to stick around Buffalo for a little while longer.

As for McGahee, him being unhappy in Buffalo is not going to be much of a surprise to anyone. I never quite understood Donahoe's fascination with drafting all those Miami players (McGahee, Parrish, Everett) as I can't see those guys wanting to stick around much after their rookie contract expires. Parrish was scared to leave his house the first time he saw snow on the ground.
Actually the Greater Toronto Area is 6 million people. Buffalo has a population of 292 thousand. I used to live in Toronto, and there are lots of Bills fans there.
Think about that Aaron. This means if 100% of Buffalo are Bills fans and .05% of Toronto are Bills fans Toronto has the larger fan base. You are out of your mind if you think Toronto is not a good sports town. I would argue that Toronto is one of the best sports towns in North America. I don't see it happening but I think the NFL would thrive in Toronto.

They would need a new stadium of course.

Think about that Aaron. This means if 100% of Buffalo are Bills fans and .05% of Toronto are Bills fans Toronto has the larger fan base. You are out of your mind if you think Toronto is not a good sports town. I would argue that Toronto is one of the best sports towns in North America. I don't see it happening but I think the NFL would thrive in Toronto.

think about what?you don't think the suburbs of Buffalo count as well? the metropolitan area of Buffalo is about 1 million people. If you expand Buffalo to mean Western New York, you can probably throw another 500,000+ or so in from the Rochester area that is within about an hour of the stadium. There's no way that 1 out of every 5 or 6 people in the Toronto area is a Bills fan. Most of those people aren't even from the area. Heck, most Toronto people on this message board don't even like the Bills and these are pretty big football fans.

Toronto is a great city. One of my favorites. But, any sport besides hockey isn't that big of a deal there from what I've seen. I've spent lots of time there but I don't live there, so I could be wrong.

think about what?you don't think the suburbs of Buffalo count as well? the metropolitan area of Buffalo is about 1 million people. If you expand Buffalo to mean Western New York, you can probably throw another 500,000+ or so in from the Rochester area that is within about an hour of the stadium. There's no way that 1 out of every 5 or 6 people in the Toronto area is a Bills fan. Most of those people aren't even from the area. Heck, most Toronto people on this message board don't even like the Bills and these are pretty big football fans.

Toronto is a great city. One of my favorites. But, any sport besides hockey isn't that big of a deal there from what I've seen. I've spent lots of time there but I don't live there, so I could be wrong.
Most people who are big football fans know better than to cheer for the Bills.I lived in Toronto for over 20 years and I'm telling you you are wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread