What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (5 Viewers)

Started reading the book. :thumbup:
Me too. Started on Thursday, and am over 100 pages in. Yesterday, before the show came on, I was just reading the Bran chapter where he was dreaming of the crow. It was different (and shorter, of course) on the show, but as soon as I saw that crow, I said "Does it have three eyes?" My wife had no idea what I was talking about.

Started reading the book. :thumbup:
Me too. Started on Thursday, and am over 100 pages in. Yesterday, before the show came on, I was just reading the Bran chapter where he was dreaming of the crow. It was different (and shorter, of course) on the show, but as soon as I saw that crow, I said "Does it have three eyes?" My wife had no idea what I was talking about.
I'm only as far as what would be a little into the second episode of the show so far. Only had time to read on two short flights.

For all of you non-book readers....

The first book was great. It really was. But a large portion of it was the setup. It takes awhile to familiarize the readers with such a vast number of people.

The 2nd and 3rd books are just phenomenal and are the "money" books of this series.

I wouldn't worry about what is going to happen next...just enjoy the series. If you want to know, read the books.

Overall it's an extremely faithful rendition of the books and I don't see any reason they would change that. For instance, if there is a character that died in the books, they couldn't keep them in the series without changing everything.

I've been reading reviews. This show is getting great reviews. A lot of people are lauding it for great drama. It makes me wish I hadn't read the books. The threats between the Starks and Lannisters was big drama..especially at the end where the swords are pointed towards Tyrion.

Knowing what happens definitely takes some of the thrill away from watching it. That would no doubt be a pretty awesome scene if you didn't know what was coming.

I've been reading reviews. This show is getting great reviews. A lot of people are lauding it for great drama. It makes me wish I hadn't read the books. The threats between the Starks and Lannisters was big drama..especially at the end where the swords are pointed towards Tyrion. Knowing what happens definitely takes some of the thrill away from watching it. That would no doubt be a pretty awesome scene if you didn't know what was coming.
It was... and it's the only reason I haven't started reading the books.

I've been reading reviews. This show is getting great reviews. A lot of people are lauding it for great drama. It makes me wish I hadn't read the books. The threats between the Starks and Lannisters was big drama..especially at the end where the swords are pointed towards Tyrion.

Knowing what happens definitely takes some of the thrill away from watching it. That would no doubt be a pretty awesome scene if you didn't know what was coming.
It certainly takes away from the twists, though I guess there are advantages too in being able to follow along better than some non-readers. In any case, the time-release info-capsules are working at a different pace than in the book and I don't really have a problem with that. For instance, the end-of-the-world crying that Dingo references in his spoiler comment above - what I assume they're going to show next week will make no sense without what those fans are screaming about. I think that most of the exposition-placement on the TV show has been done pretty well - some better than what Martin did in the book, and some made necessary by the medium. With no internal dialogue on the screen, non-readers would be completey lost by now had the producers kept to Martin's order of events.

I've been reading reviews. This show is getting great reviews. A lot of people are lauding it for great drama. It makes me wish I hadn't read the books. The threats between the Starks and Lannisters was big drama..especially at the end where the swords are pointed towards Tyrion. Knowing what happens definitely takes some of the thrill away from watching it. That would no doubt be a pretty awesome scene if you didn't know what was coming.
So what's your take so far as a non-reader, EG? Too much info, not enough action? A good balance? Is most of what's been presented pretty clear?

'mad sweeney said:
'Moe. said:
I wonder if they'll change the name of the series once season 2 starts.
Why would they?
Because Game of Thrones is the title of the first book, not the series. You think the second season will still be called Game of Thrones?

So what's your take so far as a non-reader, EG? Too much info, not enough action? A good balance? Is most of what's been presented pretty clear?
Most of what has been presented has been pretty clear, yes. Reading the companion you guys recommended on HBO's web site made things even more clear. Almost too clear, in fact, as a few backstory moments/events referenced on this past episode, I already knew from reading the descriptions of the houses/characters.I think it probably could stand to be more action heavy for the average viewer. I don't find myself getting bored at all (quite the opposite, I'm totally hooked) but I also tend to value dialogue and character development over action. I am aware, though, that many (based on Fast Five's box office figures, way TOO many) people don't share my likes/dislikes, so I imagine that they may lose some viewers who are waiting for "stuff to happen."My greatest fear is that the fact that it's obviously a big story and will take time to develop will turn off viewers and make the obvious cost of producing this program prohibitive for HBO. Isn't that how 'Deadwood' died? I never watched that show once and I feel guilty about it. HBO is one of the very few channels out there right now putting a premium on developing well-written, well-cast, well-acted programs rather than that deluge of reality show pablum so rampant on the rest of the dial. I vowed I would watch every new HBO series that came out not long ago, so I was in on this show knowing nothing about the books. However, I am kind of a "middle Earth" nerd at heart, so it appealed to me nevertheless. Anyone know what the ratings have been like?I guess if it gets canceled, then I'll just read the books. :lol: In fact, I'll eventually do that anyway, but I'm not going to do it while the show is still being made. I'm having too much fun on Sunday nights right now.

Ratings have been good - Episode 3 was the highest yet (haven't seen anything on last night's yet).
Yeah, I just got off my lazy iAss and looked it up - I see it's already renewed for a second season, so that's great. I think it said 8.9 million viewers across all showings for episode 3, seems like that's a pretty good # for HBO, no?

Most of what has been presented has been pretty clear, yes. Reading the companion you guys recommended on HBO's web site made things even more clear. Almost too clear, in fact, as a few backstory moments/events referenced on this past episode, I already knew from reading the descriptions of the houses/characters.I think it probably could stand to be more action heavy for the average viewer. I don't find myself getting bored at all (quite the opposite, I'm totally hooked) but I also tend to value dialogue and character development over action. I am aware, though, that many (based on Fast Five's box office figures, way TOO many) people don't share my likes/dislikes, so I imagine that they may lose some viewers who are waiting for "stuff to happen."My greatest fear is that the fact that it's obviously a big story and will take time to develop will turn off viewers and make the obvious cost of producing this program prohibitive for HBO. Isn't that how 'Deadwood' died? I never watched that show once and I feel guilty about it. HBO is one of the very few channels out there right now putting a premium on developing well-written, well-cast, well-acted programs rather than that deluge of reality show pablum so rampant on the rest of the dial. I vowed I would watch every new HBO series that came out not long ago, so I was in on this show knowing nothing about the books. However, I am kind of a "middle Earth" nerd at heart, so it appealed to me nevertheless. Anyone know what the ratings have been like?I guess if it gets canceled, then I'll just read the books. :lol: In fact, I'll eventually do that anyway, but I'm not going to do it while the show is still being made. I'm having too much fun on Sunday nights right now.
Reading the book lagging behind the series has been a good approach for me so far. I think that even once I catch up to the episodes, I am going to wait until after viewing to read on. My dilemma will be once the series is over, whether to read the next book(s) or not. I have a feeling I will give into temptation.

I think its been a good balance. I did some reading on HBO.com and Wiki though....that definitely has helped me fill in some of the story lines when watching (like knowing who Theon was and why he was with the Starkes).

I'm liking the show a lot so far, but when winter finally comes, all manner of #### better hit the fan to meet the amount of build up.

Last edited by a moderator:
'gump said:
The horse wench in the tub is smoking.
:nerd: She is not a "horse wench", she is Lyseni and I wish they showed more in her lesbo scene with Dany :hot:
Both her and the actual Dothraki chick that was there when Viserys got whip-choked and made to walk are both smoking, though the Dothraki chick has a pretty sloppy body. IIRC, there are many more intimate scenes with her and Dany later on

I'm liking the show a lot so far, but when winter finally comes, all manner of #### better hit the fan to meet the amount of build up.
Not to give anything away, but people start dying long before winter comes. As a matter of fact, from what I saw on the previews, death should start avalanching starting next episode. One of the great things about Martin is that no character is safe. Every character you see, main or peripheral, has a 50-50 chance of being horribly killed by the end of the season so don't get too attached. Women, children, knights, lords, etc... all have a very strong chance of dying. IMO, the #### hits the fan starting Sunday and it won't stop.

I talked extensively this weekend with two film biz insiders who haven't read the books and they are entranced by the show. Neither have read any of the HBO extras and are stoked for each new episode and have followed everything easily. I gave them the Robert's Rebellion cliff notes and that seemed to help them, but they were really fine with what's been shown.eta: I advised them, since they're enjoying the show, to finish it and then read the books.

Not to give anything away, but people start dying long before winter comes. As a matter of fact, from what I saw on the previews, death should start avalanching starting next episode. One of the great things about Martin is that no character is safe. Every character you see, main or peripheral, has a 50-50 chance of being horribly killed by the end of the season so don't get too attached. Women, children, knights, lords, etc... all have a very strong chance of dying. IMO, the #### hits the fan starting Sunday and it won't stop.
Although I think it's been talked about enough widely to say this post, per se, isn't the problem, but this fact is a bit of a spoiler itself. One of the great things about reading the book was not knowing that's how Martin rolled until it started happening. As evidenced by modogg's post, most people don't think that bad things are goign to happen to good guys - especially in the fantasy genre.

Although I think it's been talked about enough widely to say this post, per se, isn't the problem, but this fact is a bit of a spoiler itself. One of the great things about reading the book was not knowing that's how Martin rolled until it started happening. As evidenced by modogg's post, most people don't think that bad things are goign to happen to good guys - especially in the fantasy genre.
Well, that's true in a way, but since there've been spoilers and a majority of the posters have read the books I don't mind saying so. I did edit my post to remove a group of people that may or may not die to not give too much away, though I assume it will be the final scene next week.
The gouging of Robert's prodigious belly by the boar. I had added "kings and queens" to the list of people dying but ook it out.

Travis Bowe, a writer on The Cleveland Show, tweeted this last night:

"If you're on the fence, Game of Thrones just had a dude bone a lady in the bathtub as he recited names of dragons."

Overall it's an extremely faithful rendition of the books
Tell that to the SanSan fan grrls, they are rioting in the streets.
Really? Over what part?A pm will do so we don't spoiler this up too much more.I don't think there's anything to spoil. The particulars of how Gregor Clegane caused Sandor's burns was delivered in a different way than in the books. This has been fairly common, as the writers have needed to cull scenes for narrative efficiency and to give us a little variety in how the (very heavy) exposition is delivered. The biggest difference between the series and the books is that the television series is naturally not confined to the same set of POVs. Which means that there are some pretty strong thematic differences between the series and the first book because we are given some character's POVs (and by extension their motivations) far earlier than in the books.

just when I think I'm catching on to everyone's names and roles...welcome to the show fat blackwatch wussy, buff metal working young guy, and giant throat-spearing jouster!

Well, that's true in a way, but since there've been spoilers and a majority of the posters have read the books I don't mind saying so. I did edit my post to remove a group of people that may or may not die to not give too much away, though I assume it will be the final scene next week.
The gouging of Robert's prodigious belly by the boar. I had added "kings and queens" to the list of people dying but ook it out.
I'll be shocked if that's the case. Seems about an episode or two too soon, unless next week's show is really packed. Don't remember the timeline precisely, but I expect the beggar king to be offed first. In fact, my predictions for next week are Viserys being 'crowned' and Arya chasing cats and hearing the 'magicians' in the secret passages.

I'll be shocked if that's the case. Seems about an episode or two too soon, unless next week's show is really packed. Don't remember the timeline precisely, but I expect the beggar king to be offed first. In fact, my predictions for next week are Viserys being 'crowned' and Arya chasing cats and hearing the 'magicians' in the secret passages.
Next week's episode is entitled "The Wolf and the Lion", I expect the Arya chasing cats scene, as well as a lot of time spent on Tyrion/Catelyn going to the Vale. Also probably Ned resigning/getting relieved of his duty as hand because of the plotting to kill Danerys baby. The episode after such is called The Golden Crown and that's where I expect Viserys to be "crowned"

Next week's episode is entitled "The Wolf and the Lion", I expect the Arya chasing cats scene, as well as a lot of time spent on Tyrion/Catelyn going to the Vale. Also probably Ned resigning/getting relieved of his duty as hand because of the plotting to kill Danerys baby. The episode after such is called The Golden Crown and that's where I expect Viserys to be "crowned"
Ha, never thought to look at the episode titles. That sounds about right. Curious to see how they handle the Vale.

I don't think there's anything to spoil. The particulars of how Gregor Clegane caused Sandor's burns was delivered in a different way than in the books. This has been fairly common, as the writers have needed to cull scenes for narrative efficiency and to give us a little variety in how the (very heavy) exposition is delivered. The biggest difference between the series and the books is that the television series is naturally not confined to the same set of POVs. Which means that there are some pretty strong thematic differences between the series and the first book because we are given some character's POVs (and by extension their motivations) far earlier than in the books.
Well sci/fantasy tried using the pov/internal dialogue once before and it didn't go very well. Dune.

I thought it was a bit light on the Hand's tourney - understood I suppose, but in the book this event was used effectively to introduce many important characters, houses and backgrounds. Introducing Gregor and his brutal nature was important, but there was also the fight between him and Loras - broken up by the hound - with Sandor later beating Jamie and then Loras in the jousting final. Also, Thoros and his flaming sword winning the melee.

The tourney is not over

Next week will show some of the rest of the tourney, including some of the scenes that readers of the book will be looking forward to

Here's a pretty cool site that diagrams characters/places and their relationships in the TV show. I don't think there are any spoilers for upcoming episodes, but there are some characters listed who haven't made an appearance yet (or have but haven't been identified yet).

Link

And here's another putting the actors' faces to the characters:

Link the 2nd

I have a question about Ser Mormont:

In the book King Robert tells Stark that Ser Mormont is a spy for him and that is who gave him the info about Dani marrying the Kahl. Did I miss him saying that in the episode, or is it not yet revealed that Ser Mormont is perhaps playing two sides?

I have a question about Ser Mormont:

In the book King Robert tells Stark that Ser Mormont is a spy for him and that is who gave him the info about Dani marrying the Kahl. Did I miss him saying that in the episode, or is it not yet revealed that Ser Mormont is perhaps playing two sides?
They didn't have Robert mention it in the TV show IIRC, but when Dany's handmaid announces to Mormont that Dany's pregnant he immediately gets up & says he has to go to Qohor. Presumably, that's to send the message to Robert, which will be received in the next episode if I'm deciphering the preview correctly.

I thought it was a bit light on the Hand's tourney - understood I suppose, but in the book this event was used effectively to introduce many important characters, houses and backgrounds. Introducing Gregor and his brutal nature was important, but there was also the fight between him and Loras - broken up by the hound - with Sandor later beating Jamie and then Loras in the jousting final. Also, Thoros and his flaming sword winning the melee.
totally agree with this.

totally agree with this.
I think I read that more tourney is comming in Sunday's episode, including the tilt Cletius mentions above.

Bump for tonight's episode. I haven't watched it yet. I got stuck watching Survivor. Too late to start now.
Has there been an episode without a chick getting rocked from behind yet? I've been following along pretty well, but the conversation between Littlefinger and Varys went straight over my head.

Bump for tonight's episode. I haven't watched it yet. I got stuck watching Survivor. Too late to start now.
Has there been an episode without a chick getting rocked from behind yet? I've been following along pretty well, but the conversation between Littlefinger and Varys went straight over my head.
Kinda just to show the two main players behind the scenes who are always sneaking around and how aware they were of each other's motives/plans etc.

Looks like they decided to not go with the subtle route the books went with the Renly/Loras affair. Not very evident in the books unless you pick up on some of the quips other characters give Renly and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread