Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sabertooth

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, sn0mm1s said:

Yeah and Dorne and Rickon and Bran and Sansa and Littlefinger and Catelyn and plenty of others whose stories seem to have significantly diverged in the show. 

Huge suspense whether Jon is dead or not; or, if so, whether he will be brought back from the dead.  Imagine reading 20-30 pages of Martin's prose creating the suspense for that, and the later Aegon T. reveal.  I want to read the books, and I believe they will be completed, but its hard for me to think about slogging through 1,200 pages of GRRM to get to a place we already know about.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Huge suspense whether Jon is dead or not; or, if so, whether he will be brought back from the dead.  Imagine reading 20-30 pages of Martin's prose creating the suspense for that, and the later Aegon T. reveal.  I want to read the books, and I believe they will be completed, but its hard for me to think about slogging through 1,200 pages of GRRM to get to a place we already know about.

 

I dunno... I think that if you have been reading the books Jon being a Targ and Jon not remaining dead is pretty obvious.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2019 at 1:59 PM, sn0mm1s said:

It pretty much has to. Dorne is completely different. Sansa is completely different. Ironborn are completely different. Catelyn is completely different. Hell, if it just makes sense and doesn't read like Hollywood fanfic then it will be significantly different/better. 

I agree with this 100%.  Fanfic is a great way to put it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2019 at 1:59 PM, sn0mm1s said:

It pretty much has to. Dorne is completely different. Sansa is completely different. Ironborn are completely different. Catelyn is completely different. Hell, if it just makes sense and doesn't read like Hollywood fanfic then it will be significantly different/better. 

Knowing what happens in the synopsis that is the show post season five (six?), I can't wait to read the full telling with all the detail, linkages, and etc.

TWOW is obviously pretty close at this point.  But at ~7 years a book I do worry about the last one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone listened to the audiobooks? But it appears that the narrator for the audiobooks is terrible. 

I would love to get into the series b/c of what everyone says about the differences between the books and show. IDK if the narrator issue will ruin it. 

I'm not a reader, so I doubt I'd be able to get through the actual books. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, glvsav37 said:

Has anyone listened to the audiobooks? But it appears that the narrator for the audiobooks is terrible. 

I would love to get into the series b/c of what everyone says about the differences between the books and show. IDK if the narrator issue will ruin it. 

I'm not a reader, so I doubt I'd be able to get through the actual books. 

Terrible? That guy is a legend. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Capella said:

Terrible? That guy is a legend. 

I honestly don't know who he is but this is some of the reviews.

Quote

 

What didn’t you like about Roy Dotrice’s performance?

Dotrice makes a slew of mistakes and errors that should have been caught with editing and multiple takes. Not only does he occasionally trip over lines, but he doesn't seem to know how to pronounce a single name in this entire book. It's incredibly jarring to listen to Brian and P-tire and Sancha. Not only that, but his voices are frequently distracting. Aftere being spoilt for talent in the show, the caricature voices are either too difficult to understand, like Varys slurring his words disgustingly, or downright insulting, as with the strange Warwick Davis impression he seems to be doing for Tyrion. 

 

 

Quote

However, Mr. Dotrice's narration leaves a lot to be desired. His voice is harsh and gruff, which doesn't lend itself to a plethora of various characters (I found the voice of Tywin especially obnoxious - forcibly pompous, uttering 2 or 3 words between lengthy pauses and breaths, like the worst caricature of a fat old British member of parliament). His interpretation of the pronounciation of the characters' names was inconsistent - "Joffrey" became "Jeffrey" at one point, "Hodor" was used interchangeably with "Hodar," and the Stark matriarch was sometimes "Catt-lin" and other times "Cait-lin," just to name a few. Narration of dialogue in a character's voice sometimes carries over into non-dialogue parts (i.e. reading "...said Arya" in Arya's voice). I found myself actually surprised this recording was given the thumbs-up for release, especially for a story so wildly popular as this one.

The narration almost ruins the book for me. I so wished for a different narrator for the remainder of the series, but alas - if you want to experience Game of Thrones on audiobook, this is what you're stuck with.

 

Quote

In a story that is built off the richness and complexity of characters, it behooves the narrator to familiarize himself with the names, ages, and personalities of at least the main cast. This guy consistently misreads names, puts on an idiotic oaf voice for large and fierce characters, narrates a teenage boy's dialogue in the voice of an old man, and makes practically every other make character out in the same gruff voice. Completely ruins the diversity and dynamics of this great sory.
Further, after 30+ hours of him, I can say his prose and tone at times are just odd. They confuse the meaning of the passages and are littered with random pauses and abrupt continuations. It's like an actor breaking the fourth wall. His performance really jars you out of the story and is completely distracting.

 

that's just a few of many with the same observation. But its the only real recording, so i guess that's what I'm getting

Edited by glvsav37

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, glvsav37 said:

I honestly don't know who he is but this is some of the reviews.

 

 

 

that's just a few of many with the same observation. But its the only real recording, so i guess that's what I'm getting

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theringer.com/platform/amp/game-of-thrones/2019/5/9/18535904/game-of-thrones-roy-dotrice-audiobooks-george-rr-martin

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Lmfao you will be lucky to get book 6....and not only that....its spoiled....who reads a spoiled book??? Wanna see what happens to young griff n jon connington? 

I think they will play a pivotal role in how Dany gets to this point and it will be much more fulfilling than the show.  I also expect Jon and Bran will be significant in the battle against the Others, and that we will have much more there as well.  I cannot wait to read the books -- more so now than ever really.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

What happened to the Kettleblacks?  They kind of cracked me up in the books.  

Two in the dungeons of King's Landing and one being held by the High Septon.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone talk me out of rereading the series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, shuke said:

Someone talk me out of rereading the series.

:no:

I was thinking about doing the same soon.  I was waiting for the series to end so my old ### wasn't blurring the lines between the books and show as much.  

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, shuke said:

Someone talk me out of rereading the series.

I plan on it. Was waiting until Winds had an official date. But I may start sooner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I plan on it. Was waiting until Winds had an official date. But I may start sooner. 

So you aren't planning on it? ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Did somebody in her say that he had finished both books?

I didn't watch the video, but supposedly the guy who played Barristan Selmy made this claim recently, and it blew up on Monday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jplvr said:

I can't do it without another book.

Same, won't revisit until they are finished by GRRM or his designee

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 8:33 AM, glvsav37 said:

Has anyone listened to the audiobooks? But it appears that the narrator for the audiobooks is terrible. 

I would love to get into the series b/c of what everyone says about the differences between the books and show. IDK if the narrator issue will ruin it. 

I'm not a reader, so I doubt I'd be able to get through the actual books. 

I read the first three then listened to 4 and 5.  I thought they were okay. The material itself was kind of a let letdown a after the first three.  Also, I was caught up on the books/audio before I watched a single episode on HBO. so I had nothing to compare it to.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jplvr said:

I can't do it without another book.

Right, but it might take me 5 years to get through them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, shuke said:

Right, but it might take me 5 years to get through them.

:lol: 

That's about what I was thinking.  Like jplvr said, I would for sure do one if there was a release date for book 6, but unless it's a couple years away, I wouldn't be through the re-read anyway.  So maybe just do a re-read and hold out mild hope for another book.  If not, so be it - I obviously enjoyed the hell out of the books so there's worse things I could be doing with my time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 8:46 AM, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I think they will play a pivotal role in how Dany gets to this point and it will be much more fulfilling than the show.  I also expect Jon and Bran will be significant in the battle against the Others, and that we will have much more there as well.  I cannot wait to read the books -- more so now than ever really.  

After thinking about it, this is where I am.  It's not like I am disappointed that characters ended up where they did on the show (Dany turning bad, Jaime dying with Cersei, etc..) , it's that I felt they didn't get there very organically or true to their characters as presented on the show.  I trust that if GRRM ever got around to the other books, he would correct that problem.   Plus there are enough differences in the show vs. books that it would still be interesting to read and there will be fresh stuff.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, E Street Brat said:

I read the first three then listened to 4 and 5.  I thought they were okay. The material itself was kind of a let letdown a after the first three.  Also, I was caught up on the books/audio before I watched a single episode on HBO. so I had nothing to compare it to.

 

The first 3 audiobooks are great - aside from the butchering of some of the names. Books 4 and 5 aren't nearly as good. Originally, book 4 was read by someone else (somone Lee IIRC) because Dotrice had a conflict. It wasn't until much later that Dotrice recorded book 4 and not that long after book 5. The gaps were so big between the 3rd - 4th readings that Dotrice (who was like 1000 years old by this point) didn't voice the characters the same and his acting had taken a hit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sn0mm1s said:

The first 3 audiobooks are great - aside from the butchering of some of the names. Books 4 and 5 aren't nearly as good. Originally, book 4 was read by someone else (somone Lee IIRC) because Dotrice had a conflict. It wasn't until much later that Dotrice recorded book 4 and not that long after book 5. The gaps were so big between the 3rd - 4th readings that Dotrice (who was like 1000 years old by this point) didn't voice the characters the same and his acting had taken a hit. 

4 and 5 aren't up to the first 3 regardless of reading or listening.. dorne and little griff oof 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think I appreciate Young Griff more now that we've seen how the show handled it without him.

@sn0mm1s - do you think he will be the one to defeat Cersei and be in charge of King's Landing when Dany shows up in the books? The reddit community seems to think it's a foregone conclusion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, if Young Griff isn't a fake - his claim would be the "legitimate" claim over Jon's, correct? Not that legitimacy really matters, but I don't see the annulment being a thing in the books. How can you annul a marriage when there are two kids?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moe. said:

Also, if Young Griff isn't a fake - his claim would be the "legitimate" claim over Jon's, correct? Not that legitimacy really matters, but I don't see the annulment being a thing in the books. How can you annul a marriage when there are two kids?

I'm beginning to think Jon and Daenerys don't meet in the books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Moe. said:

I do think I appreciate Young Griff more now that we've seen how the show handled it without him.

@sn0mm1s - do you think he will be the one to defeat Cersei and be in charge of King's Landing when Dany shows up in the books? The reddit community seems to think it's a foregone conclusion. 

If I had to bet, I would say no. I suspect that the conflict between Dany and Young Griff would be over Dorne/South as we don't know how they will respond to Quentyn's death. My guess would be that since Quentyn + Dany didn't work (and Dany might be blamed by Dorne for the roasting of their prince's heir) that Doran will try a Griff +  Arienne match. Griff will say he has the better claim (true if he is Rhaegar's son - but I am pretty sure he is the mummer's dragon) over Daenerys and the two will fight each other *before* taking King's Landing.

Also, Cersei falling to Griff is kind of weird with the whole beautiful queen/valonqar thing going on. A younger, more beautiful queen is supposed to cast Cersei down and a valonqar to possibly kill her. I don't see how that happens if Griff takes KL.

Edit: I also think this is where we see some of Dany's madness start creeping in. I wouldn't say she has done anything truly mad (aside from walking into a ####### fire believing that her eggs will hatch) yet but with one fake Targ gone I suspect she is even more pissed when another "fake" Targ (Jon) is revealed.

Edited by sn0mm1s
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moe. said:

Also, if Young Griff isn't a fake - his claim would be the "legitimate" claim over Jon's, correct? Not that legitimacy really matters, but I don't see the annulment being a thing in the books. How can you annul a marriage when there are two kids?

I think we would need a Westerosi family lawyer to sort that out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hagmania said:

I'm beginning to think Jon and Daenerys don't meet in the books.

Jon still dead in the books, right?

I think we’re going to see a third volume from Harper Lee before we get Winds of a Winter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hagmania said:

I'm beginning to think Jon and Daenerys don't meet in the books.

I think they meet, but that a lot of the "plot" of the show will be thrown away, with the "real" Aegon playing very much into Dany's turn.  I feel like Jon's true name will not be Aegon in the books . . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 9:04 PM, shuke said:

Right, but it might take me 5 years to get through them.

I’m pretty ADD when I start a book. Finished all 5 in a little over a month the first time through. I’m sure I could get it done in a few months without getting too obsessive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jplvr said:

I’m pretty ADD when I start a book. Finished all 5 in a little over a month the first time through. I’m sure I could get it done in a few months without getting too obsessive. 

JFC.   

I think I gotten slower at reading in my old age + the decrease in time due to the kids.  I am usually lucky if I get in 30 pages at night before falling asleep.   We are talking 5000 or so pages?  That will take me awhile.  I think I am going to start tonight.  

Maybe we need ASOIAF thread just for people doing a re-read.  ;)

 

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, jplvr said:

I’m pretty ADD when I start a book. Finished all 5 in a little over a month the first time through. I’m sure I could get it done in a few months without getting too obsessive. 

Same. But I started reading them during winter break my first year of law school. I think I literally read 8-12 hours a day for like a month straight.  Now, with kids, it'd probably take 6-12 months to get through them all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

JFC.   

I think I gotten slower at reading in my old age + the decrease in time due to the kids.  I am usually lucky if I get in 30 pages at night before falling asleep.   We are talking 5000 or so pages?  That will take me awhile.  I think I am going to start tonight.  

Maybe we need ASOIAF thread just for people doing a re-read.  ;)

 

As soon as my Deadwood rewatch is done I might start the reread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FBG26 said:

Same. But I started reading them during winter break my first year of law school. I think I literally read 8-12 hours a day for like a month straight.  Now, with kids, it'd probably take 6-12 months to get through them all. 

Yeah, kid + a dog that literally gets upset and starts barking, howling, whining, and trying to climb in my lap as soon as he realizes I am reading a book prevents binge reading. I have to go hide somewhere in the basement if I want to get any serious reading done. That said, a reread would be fun. I am curious as to what decisions I would consider "mad" for a 15-20 year old girl now that we know the end game is that she is going mad. Off the top of my head, walking into the burning pyre is the only thing I would consider crazy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jplvr said:

I’m pretty ADD when I start a book. Finished all 5 in a little over a month the first time through.

NFW

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

JFC.   

I think I gotten slower at reading in my old age + the decrease in time due to the kids.  I am usually lucky if I get in 30 pages at night before falling asleep.   We are talking 5000 or so pages?  That will take me awhile.  I think I am going to start tonight.  

Maybe we need ASOIAF thread just for people doing a re-read.  ;)

 

Fire it up.  Call it "dip####s unite."  I'll be with you shortly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I'll ever re-read until there's at least a 6th book written by GRRM that is published.  And then I'd just do 1,2,3,5 and then 6.  No point in rereading 4.

But I'm in the camp that there will never be a 6th from GRRM.  And if there ever is from anyone it will follow the show's outline and not the original.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started my re-read today.  Should I really start another thread? :oldunsure:

I am sure I will have thoughts/questions along the way.  It's been since a little after DwD what I read them, and I've only read Dance once and it's really blurry since I read it too fast just to see what happened.  Like I said to shuke - a lot stuff is blurry with the story especially where it deviates from the show since the show is what has been my contact with the material since that time.  
 

I have also not read the Dunk and Egg book (have it at home), the Targ book, or the History of Westeros book.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Started my re-read today.  Should I really start another thread? :oldunsure:

I am sure I will have thoughts/questions along the way.  It's been since a little after DwD what I read them, and I've only read Dance once and it's really blurry since I read it too fast just to see what happened.  Like I said to shuke - a lot stuff is blurry with the story especially where it deviates from the show since the show is what has been my contact with the material since that time.  
 

I have also not read the Dunk and Egg book (have it at home), the Targ book, or the History of Westeros book.  

 

Wow. I don't think I can devote the time needed for a read, but I would love to hear about others. 

I have forgotten so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Started my re-read today.  Should I really start another thread? :oldunsure:

I am sure I will have thoughts/questions along the way.  It's been since a little after DwD what I read them, and I've only read Dance once and it's really blurry since I read it too fast just to see what happened.  Like I said to shuke - a lot stuff is blurry with the story especially where it deviates from the show since the show is what has been my contact with the material since that time.  
 

I have also not read the Dunk and Egg book (have it at home), the Targ book, or the History of Westeros book.  

 

Read dunk and egg first. Then let’s try a real reread thread together?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 8:39 PM, KarmaPolice said:

As in it's amazing TV, so it doesn't matter? or you have checked out, don't care, and are basically hate-watching the last episode?

From what I read in other spheres of the internet, it would seem like a majority of viewers will be doing exactly that -- hate-watching the last episode. At the end of the day you are right - it has been phenomenal TV and the root cause of why these last two seasons (and esp. S8) have been met with such passion. But both sides have valid points - because it's such a great show, people do have the right to be disappointed in the much different trajectory in quality this show has taken, while still needing to be appreciative of how fantastic this series has been overall.

On 5/16/2019 at 10:08 AM, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Saw an interesting theory that makes good sense, on how GoT history could repeat itself and come full circle:

A “mad” Targaryen was in charge: Aerys → Daenerys

A Stark is taken prisoner: Lyanna Stark is “stolen” → Dany accuses Sansa of treason (or Jon, even)

The Starks and Baratheons team up to rebel: Ned + Robert → Jon/Sansa/Arya + Gendry

A Lannister will betray the ruler to deal the finishing blow: Jaime → Tyrion

A Baratheon ends up on the Iron Throne: Robert → Gendry

:tinfoilhat: :popcorn: 

Love this theory, and ties up some of the plotlines (Sansa keeping the North free with Gendry's grant, resolving Jon/Dany's relationship and allowing Jon to join Ghost north of the Wall afterwards, leaving the throne in the hands of a legitimate claimant that can reunite the realm, etc.).

That would leave only the Azor Ahai plot and Arya's Faceless studies and Bran left out in terms of major hanging chads. All may be moot anyway at this point with the NK dead, though I suppose they can resolve them all by having Jaime ending up secretly having left Widow's Wail with Brienne in Winterfell instead of taking it South to KL -- as a tribute to her knighthood and as a make-up gesture for the ####ty way he left. Brienne gives it, along with Oathkeeper, to Jon to forge Lightbringer (with Gendry's help of course), which he uses to kill Dany (with Arya stealing Tyrion's face to help betray Dani and get Jon close to her to deliver the blow).

Jon then leaves for the North, eschewing the throne, with a cliffhanger end of seeing Bran's eyes turn icy blue like the NK, implying a final unseen showdown in the future to end the Long Night for good.

Long stretches, I know.

As to the full circle outlined above, we'll see if Dany breaks this particular wheel or not tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.