What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (4 Viewers)

About 150 pages into Storm of Swords. I already like it better than Clash, and nothing really has happened just yet. It's just something about the backgrounds and perspectives.

I liked Clash a lot, but felt like it was unresolved. Reading the beginning of Swords though, the prologue explains that some events are happening simultaneously with the Battle of Blackwater. These time differences and from what I understand MAJOR time differences and lack of entire storyline in Crows/Dragons makes it kind of hard to follow along I think and may not work well on TV. Which worries me.
I'm about 750 into clash and its amazing. so that'sgreat to hear

'Game of Thrones' casts assassin Jaqen

http://insidetv.ew.c...-thrones-jaqen/

Game of Thrones has cast its deadly assassin Jaqen H'gar for season 2.

In one of the final positions to be filled for the second season — which is adding a slew of new characters / potential victims — German actor Tom Wlaschiha has landed the role of Jaqen. The character is a "Faceless Man of Bravos" and one of the criminals being transported along with Arya to The Wall.

For those who missed the rest of the season 2 cast, here's who will play Theon's fierce sister, Stannis and Melisandre and Davos; here's who's cast for Brienne and here's Margaery Tyrell.
Such an awesome character.
Any chance he was actually Syrio Forel? I've always thought that.
I don't think so. Arry would have known Syrio, and she definitely did not know Jaqen H'gar. I do still think Syrio is alive and has a part to play in the story, but that could just be wishful thinking on my part. Edit: I forgot about Jaqen's little trick of rearranging his face, if that was the case maybe he could be Syrio, cause my logic would be flawed. I still don't think so...but it is possible.
It is killing me, but I'm pushing through AFFC before I read ADWD. I started a re-read, but got busy and didn't get it done before ADWD came out. Definitely glad I re-read the first 3 books, but I'm struggling a bit with AFFC again, just like the first time. Meanwhile ADWD is just sitting there taunting me.

Last edited by a moderator:

In one of the final positions to be filled for the second season — which is adding a slew of new characters / potential victims — German actor Tom Wlaschiha has landed the role of Jaqen. The character is a "Faceless Man of Bravos" and one of the criminals being transported along with Arya to The Wall.

For those who missed the rest of the season 2 cast, here's who will play Theon's fierce sister, Stannis and Melisandre and Davos; here's who's cast for Brienne and here's Margaery Tyrell.
I don't think so. Arry would have known Syrio, and she definitely did not know Jaqen H'gar. I do still think Syrio is alive and has a part to play in the story, but that could just be wishful thinking on my part. Edit: I forgot about Jaqen's little trick of rearranging his face, if that was the case maybe he could be Syrio, cause my logic would be flawed. I still don't think so...but it is possible.
It is killing me, but I'm pushing through AFFC before I read ADWD. I started a re-read, but got busy and didn't get it done before ADWD came out. Definitely glad I re-read the first 3 books, but I'm struggling a bit with AFFC again, just like the first time. Meanwhile ADWD is just sitting there taunting me.

I believe Jaqen H'ghar is widely believed, among the Ice and Fire geeks, to be currently taking the form of Pate at the Citadel in Old Town, from the prologue to AFFC.

I believe Jaqen H'ghar is widely believed, among the Ice and Fire geeks, to be currently taking the form of Pate at the Citadel in Old Town, from the prologue to AFFC.
I recall this to be the prevailing speculation as well.

I just started to re-watch the show on Comcast OnDemand. Really liking it more after the first viewing and then reading the book. I am also about 600+ pages into A Clash of Kings. I can't wait for the show to come back now. This is fantastic stuff.

I finished Clash of Kings last night.

I don't know how you guys survived such large gaps between books. I'm glad I discovered this series now, because I feel like I would have given up on it.

I'm a little worried about this on hbo. This book was slow in spots and really quite depressing leaving much unresolved. I hope HBO can hold it's audience
They'll definitely have to make some interesting choices in what they actually depict. Given the richness/volume of Martin's writing it's left me concerned that the show has added a character and several scenes that weren't even in the books, which then requires even more stuff from the books to be left out. I realize they need to find ways to do exposition on screen that came via internal dialogue in the books (and boy is there a lot of that in the books), but I wonder if they couldn't have figured a way to do it a bit more in context with what's actually written instead of introducing new material.
There is a link earlier in the thread to an interview with the show runners basically admitting they have to change some things for season 2 and move different scenes from the other books in and show things only alluded to in dialogue.

They specifically mentioned Robb's character since he is basically absent from book 2 and you only hear about his actions from other characters. One they didn't mention that will have to be addressed is Jaime, surely they won't have him locked up unseen for the whole season and they already moved his conversation with Catelyn Stark into the last episode of season 1.
Did they explain why they went so far afield with their changes to the Renly character? I just don't understand that turn of poetic license, not that it's a huge deal, just seemed unnecessary and purposeless.Martin said he always intended for them to be gay. Perhaps the writers and producers thought it would be shocking and pushing the envelope (as HBO likes to do) to expound a bit on their romance. Its like 15:1 on the nude chicks to naked guy scenes so as a straight guy I can't really complain about that ratio there.I didn't pick up on this during my first reading of the series, but Martin definitely hinted at this in multiple places throughout the books. Rereading the series after seeing the Renly in the series, a few things really jump out at you.
During one feast, there was a comment that he was much more interested in talking to Ser Loras than his new young bride. Later on, there was a lot made of the fact that Margery was still a virgin despite having been married to Renly for several months before he died.
rainbow guard...

so huge fn spoiler, and don't REALLY want the answer, but have to ask:

So, I just got to the chapter after Theon figures out where Bran and company are hiding and storms off and Tyrion receives a message bran and rickon have been killed.

WTF? I quickly scanned ahead/through Theon's next chapter, and sure enough, he beheaded their asses?

Really?

JFC Bran was one of my favorite story arcs.

So, I just got to the chapter after Theon figures out where Bran and company are hiding and storms off and Tyrion receives a message bran and rickon have been killed. WTF? I quickly scanned ahead/through Theon's next chapter, and sure enough, he beheaded their asses?Really?JFC Bran was one of my favorite story arcs.
:(

So, I just got to the chapter after Theon figures out where Bran and company are hiding and storms off and Tyrion receives a message bran and rickon have been killed. WTF? I quickly scanned ahead/through Theon's next chapter, and sure enough, he beheaded their asses?Really?JFC Bran was one of my favorite story arcs.
So you do, or do not want actual answers here?

So you do, or do not want actual answers here?sighi don't know. I am confused and hurt. I have a feeling I know where it is going
based on Jon's chapter close thereto
but I guess I can just get there on my one.

I shed a tear for those boys as I fell asleep last night.
;)

I did a re-read but couldn't get through Feast while ADWD was waiting. I used this site for chapter summaries link.

I did a re-read but couldn't get through Feast while ADWD was waiting. I used this site for chapter summaries link.
I managed to make it through. I still think AFFC was the weakest of the 4 (5? - not done with ADWD yet)

So you do, or do not want actual answers here?Is it bad that I read all these spoilers and then go to the wiki page to read more? In a way, I dont care, but I feel as though I am ruining things for myself (I watched Game fo Thrones and am half way through the book). :shrug:

sighi don't know. I am confused and hurt. I have a feeling I know where it is going
based on Jon's chapter close thereto
but I guess I can just get there on my one.

I shed a tear for those boys as I fell asleep last night.
;)

Agreed, this part of the series made me the angriest.With that being said, with these books, you should never be asking others about stuff you haven't read about. Just read.

:blackdot:

I managed to make it through. I still think AFFC was the weakest of the 4 (5? - not done with ADWD yet)
ADWD is by far the weakest imo.

I feel as though I am ruining things for myself
You are. Some of the twists are telegraphed, but some aren't (or at least I'm not bright enough to anticipate 1/2 of them). And for some of the drier stretches of the books those are the main payoff, so you're definitely short changing yourself by knowing them ahead of time.

I think A Feast For Crows was far and away the worst of the 5.
A better title would have been "Brienne and Jaime wander around aimlessly".

so, um, ya... :bag: :bag: :bag:Fn Grejoy

So, I just got to the chapter after Theon figures out where Bran and company are hiding and storms off and Tyrion receives a message bran and rickon have been killed.

WTF? I quickly scanned ahead/through Theon's next chapter, and sure enough, he beheaded their asses?

Really?

JFC Bran was one of my favorite story arcs.
Is it bad that I read all these spoilers and then go to the wiki page to read more? In a way, I dont care, but I feel as though I am ruining things for myself (I watched Game fo Thrones and am half way through the book). :shrug: maybe a little. The up and down of those few chapters is pretty fn cool.

Considering I'm currently halfway through AFFC, this is very disappointing news.

Based on some of the casting I think they are going to combine a lot of Kings and Swords for the second season.

I put Swords down a week ago, not because it isn't interesting though, just been busy. Hopefully i pick it back up tonight.

wonder how they are going to do the attempted siege of Kings Landing (Stannis), from directing/production standpoint.

Seems like a pretty large undertaking, unless it's all CGI on the cheap.

wonder how they are going to do the attempted siege of Kings Landing (Stannis), from directing/production standpoint. Seems like a pretty large undertaking, unless it's all CGI on the cheap.
The book presents pretty narrow perspectives on the battle from the characters' 1st person point of view (as always). I imagine they'll stick with that.
It's interesting how Martin keeps big events in the background, divulging only bits and pieces of them as they directly affect the characters.

'Gr00vus said:
'JerseyToughGuys said:
wonder how they are going to do the attempted siege of Kings Landing (Stannis), from directing/production standpoint. Seems like a pretty large undertaking, unless it's all CGI on the cheap.
The book presents pretty narrow perspectives on the battle from the characters' 1st person point of view (as always). I imagine they'll stick with that.
It's interesting how Martin keeps big events in the background, divulging only bits and pieces of them as they directly affect the characters.

Martin's writing that episode himself

'Matthias said:
'Gr00vus said:
'JerseyToughGuys said:

Martin's writing that episode himselfSo it will broadcast in 2018? :D

'Matthias said:
'Gr00vus said:
'JerseyToughGuys said:
Martin's writing that episode himselfSo it will broadcast in 2018? :D You laugh, but it just means the next book will be delivered another 2 years later than it would have been.

:lmao:

:lmao: ya :bag:

I've avoided this thread because I've always intended to read these books.

I almost always read non-fiction or historical fiction (i.e. Erik Larson) but decided to give the first book a go.

Love it. Very well written and interesting so far. Really impressive.

So does it get worse from here or better? Stay the same? Anyone want to rate each book? Just curious really.

I've avoided this thread because I've always intended to read these books.I almost always read non-fiction or historical fiction (i.e. Erik Larson) but decided to give the first book a go.Love it. Very well written and interesting so far. Really impressive.So does it get worse from here or better? Stay the same? Anyone want to rate each book? Just curious really.
It gets better for at least two more books with a general consensus that #3 is the best in the series. After that, reviews are decidedly mixed in the most recent two. I liked them a lot but understand why some don't.As for the novellas, they're really good - not necessary to enjoy the main series but they give some background coloring to the series.

Never even heard of the prequel novellas. What are they?
LinkThere are 3 of them - "The Hedge Knight", "The Sworn Sword", and "The Mystery Knight". At the bottom of the linked page are the collections they're each a part of (you'll have to buy 3 different anthologies to collect the three novellas, though I think there are also graphic novels of some or all of them). They're collectively known as the Dunk and Egg stories and are set about 100 years before A Song Of Ice And Fire. There are events and characters in the novellas that are referenced in ASOIAF. Be careful on the link I sent - clicking through on anything may lead you to all kinds of spoilers.

Just finished the 3rd episode(Lord Snow). I'm liking it but hope it starts to move forward soon. I understand that with the amount of characters that there is a lot of time needed for setup and I've heard enough good things about the show to know it gets better.

I'm following along with this thread in it's original timeline along with the episodes. Thanks to all of those who supplied such valuable info to those of us who haven't read the books and especially for avoiding giving any spoilers. At least as far as I've read so far (page 10) :thumbup:

Just finished the 3rd episode(Lord Snow). I'm liking it but hope it starts to move forward soon. I understand that with the amount of characters that there is a lot of time needed for setup and I've heard enough good things about the show to know it gets better. I'm following along with this thread in it's original timeline along with the episodes. Thanks to all of those who supplied such valuable info to those of us who haven't read the books and especially for avoiding giving any spoilers. At least as far as I've read so far (page 10) :thumbup:
It definitely speeds up. Ep 3 was the most confusing, lots of setup. The next 7 episodes are loaded with twists, turns, and shocking scenes. I'd just be very careful in this thread. There are some moments best left unspoiled.

Just finished the 3rd episode(Lord Snow). I'm liking it but hope it starts to move forward soon. I understand that with the amount of characters that there is a lot of time needed for setup and I've heard enough good things about the show to know it gets better.

I'm following along with this thread in it's original timeline along with the episodes. Thanks to all of those who supplied such valuable info to those of us who haven't read the books and especially for avoiding giving any spoilers. At least as far as I've read so far (page 10) :thumbup:
It definitely speeds up. Ep 3 was the most confusing, lots of setup. The next 7 episodes are loaded with twists, turns, and shocking scenes. I'd just be very careful in this thread. There are some moments best left unspoiled.
Will do...thx. So far you guys have been very cool with spoiler tags from what I've read. If that changes, I'll revisit the thread when I'm done. btw - I'm watching it on DirecTV HBO OnDemand. I was waiting for them to add it and they finally did. I'm guessing you guys are probably aware of that but just in case you weren't...

Will do...thx. So far you guys have been very cool with spoiler tags from what I've read. If that changes, I'll revisit the thread when I'm done. btw - I'm watching it on DirecTV HBO OnDemand. I was waiting for them to add it and they finally did. I'm guessing you guys are probably aware of that but just in case you weren't...
No ability to get HBOGO?

I'm new to the thread because I just finished the first season of Game. Here's an article on the season 2 characters if you're interested:

http://tvovermind.zap2it.com/cable/hbo/game-of-thrones/game-thrones-meet-faces-season-2/86984

Game of Thrones: Meet the New Faces of Season 2
I'd say that people who haven't read book 2 to be careful about spoilers here. There's nothing really earth shattering and no real plot secrets given out, but there could be a few hints. Of course, it's my opinion that if you're a stickler about spoilers, this thread is a little dangerous anyways.eta: I spoke too soon. There are plot points given out, though not huge ones. Still, it's more than I'd care for if I hadn't read the books.

No ability to get HBOGO?
On Directv?

Users who are viewing this thread