Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sabertooth

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners

Could you guys please post a note about how far into the series you are spoiling? I like the discussion but haven't read the last book yet.

OK, here is my #####fest of a spoiler

OK, I have now read all of them and I want to strangle this fat :nerd: bastard Martin. I have read probably 5,000+ pages by now and nothing has really changed. Every single character I gave two craps about is dead or marginalized out of the main story line completely, and in his/her place characters I don't give two craps about. At the end of Dance with Dragons, Dany is still wasting her time with slaver scum in Mereen, Lannisters still hold the iron throne, Starks are still totally screwed, Jon Snow just got fragged by his own men, Bran is underground, Rickon we still have barely heard from, and anyone remotely "good" just kind of sits on their ### not doing ####.Honestly I don't know if I am going to pick up the next book. It's like a freaking soap opera the way characters and subplots keep getting added, and if they are all meshing together some time down the line I honestly don't know if I will care by the time I get there.Furthermore, this fat :nerd: 's obvious love of torture and everything grisly and grim just makes the reading harder and harder to get through in each book. People who compare him to Tolkein are nuts. Tolkein wove together a heartrending but also tender and inspiring tale, and managed to do so in under 2,000 pages from beginning to end. 5k into this series I don't see it going anywhere soon. For those of you on books 1 or 2 winter is still coming...

I feel similarly, though

Arya is still around, as well as Tyrion and they have been the most interesting characters throughout to me along with Jon who I don't think is out of the game yet. I've never really cared about Dany and find most of her chapters tedious, so not much has changed there. I have hope he can wrap this up in an interesting way, but the luster is definitely diminished for me compared to the first 3 books. And this guy can't hold Tolkein's jock regardless.

I was really into Dany's character until she spent two entire books vacillating on what to do and mooning about boys. I mean, the #### she pulled in Astapor was epic and really was the last moment in any of the books where I was like "F YEAH!" but then she spends all that time just hanging around, while totally ignoring and neglecting her dragons, which were the coolest thing about her character.But seriously dude needs to learn what character development is and how to carry a thread if he's going to go this deep. The Stark family, which were the main characters for first two books, while still around in some form are simply not a focus any more. Focus has been the Lannisters, the Boltons, the freaking Ironborn (who CARES!!!), and the Martells. And for what? So Quentyn can just get freaking toasted by Rheagal and the most significant outcome is what becomes of his bones? I get that Rheager is more important to the fate of the seven kingdoms, but for pete's sake just do something. All these feints and false starts: Myrcella's rebellion, Myrcella getting her face sliced, Asha and the Kingsmoot, Dany and Yunkai, WTF? When does this crap end and when does something actually decisive happen? How could he possibly end that book with the Bolton's not getting their just rewards? Cmon man, realize that your readers have finite patience, figure out some plot ahead and time and stop stringing us along. I know I'll read the next book but if it is meandering as the last two screw it.

This phenomenon is called "Robert Jordan Syndrome."

Could you guys please post a note about how far into the series you are spoiling? I like the discussion but haven't read the last book yet.

Seems like the last book. Edited by JerseyToughGuys

OK, I have now read all of them and I want to strangle this fat :nerd: bastard Martin. I have read probably 5,000+ pages by now and nothing has really changed. Every single character I gave two craps about is dead or marginalized out of the main story line completely, and in his/her place characters I don't give two craps about. At the end of Dance with Dragons, Dany is still wasting her time with slaver scum in Mereen, Lannisters still hold the iron throne, Starks are still totally screwed, Jon Snow just got fragged by his own men, Bran is underground, Rickon we still have barely heard from, and anyone remotely "good" just kind of sits on their ### not doing ####.Honestly I don't know if I am going to pick up the next book. It's like a freaking soap opera the way characters and subplots keep getting added, and if they are all meshing together some time down the line I honestly don't know if I will care by the time I get there.Furthermore, this fat :nerd: 's obvious love of torture and everything grisly and grim just makes the reading harder and harder to get through in each book. People who compare him to Tolkein are nuts. Tolkein wove together a heartrending but also tender and inspiring tale, and managed to do so in under 2,000 pages from beginning to end. 5k into this series I don't see it going anywhere soon. For those of you on books 1 or 2 winter is still coming...

I feel similarly, though

Arya is still around, as well as Tyrion and they have been the most interesting characters throughout to me along with Jon who I don't think is out of the game yet. I've never really cared about Dany and find most of her chapters tedious, so not much has changed there. I have hope he can wrap this up in an interesting way, but the luster is definitely diminished for me compared to the first 3 books. And this guy can't hold Tolkein's jock regardless.

I was really into Dany's character until she spent two entire books vacillating on what to do and mooning about boys. I mean, the #### she pulled in Astapor was epic and really was the last moment in any of the books where I was like "F YEAH!" but then she spends all that time just hanging around, while totally ignoring and neglecting her dragons, which were the coolest thing about her character.But seriously dude needs to learn what character development is and how to carry a thread if he's going to go this deep. The Stark family, which were the main characters for first two books, while still around in some form are simply not a focus any more. Focus has been the Lannisters, the Boltons, the freaking Ironborn (who CARES!!!), and the Martells. And for what? So Quentyn can just get freaking toasted by Rheagal and the most significant outcome is what becomes of his bones? I get that Rheager is more important to the fate of the seven kingdoms, but for pete's sake just do something. All these feints and false starts: Myrcella's rebellion, Myrcella getting her face sliced, Asha and the Kingsmoot, Dany and Yunkai, WTF? When does this crap end and when does something actually decisive happen? How could he possibly end that book with the Bolton's not getting their just rewards? Cmon man, realize that your readers have finite patience, figure out some plot ahead and time and stop stringing us along. I know I'll read the next book but if it is meandering as the last two screw it.

This phenomenon is called "Robert Jordan Syndrome."

Ugh. Don't remind me. Now I have to go and look up when the next Sanderson/Jordan book comes out. I hate to contribute to their pocketbooks, but I've spent so long entrenched in the story that I need to find the end.

The current discussion has spoilers including the latest book.

The current discussion has spoilers including the latest book.
Not mine though. I'm just at the 700s in Storm of Swords.

Ugh. Don't remind me. Now I have to go and look up when the next Sanderson/Jordan book comes out. I hate to contribute to their pocketbooks, but I've spent so long entrenched in the story that I need to find the end.

I believe the next book should be due out in the late 2012. He was originally trying to get it out this year, but I think he has said he's only at about 90% writing right now, and then it still needs to be edited and printed.

Just finished Storm of Swords> I have a question I was hoping people could answer for me...how do you do the spoiler thing??? I want to ask, but don't want to spoil it for people on Books 1 or 2.

Just finished Storm of Swords> I have a question I was hoping people could answer for me...how do you do the spoiler thing??? I want to ask, but don't want to spoil it for people on Books 1 or 2.

The spoiler tags work the same as the quote tags, except you write "spoiler" instead of "quote" within the brackets.

HBO debuted this 2 minute little teaser last Sunday.

I might actually NOT buy the final 2 books. The last 2 have been so disappointing.

If this is what fantasy writing is about, then count me out.

I became interested in Wheel of Time after plowing through ASOFAI series and had to stop after Book 4. I couldn't imagine reading 5000 more pages of some of the stuff. I love the story lines but the detail is just too much I guess.

If I'm going to give it one last try, I have access to the following books - any recos?

Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

Enders Game

The Dune Chronicles

The Foundation Trilogy

American Gods

I need any recos today as I'll be out of the country again tomorrow until April and want to load up my kindle.

Thanks!

And this guy can't hold Tolkein's jock regardless.

Not enough aimless walking around for ya?

#1 The Foundation Trilogy

#2a Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

#2b Enders Game

#4 American Gods

#5 The Dune Chronicles (I'd rank just Dune #2 on this list, but "Chronicles" pushes it right down to the bottom)

Edited by kupcho1

I might actually NOT buy the final 2 books. The last 2 have been so disappointing.

I became interested in Wheel of Time after plowing through ASOFAI series and had to stop after Book 4. I couldn't imagine reading 5000 more pages of some of the stuff. I love the story lines but the detail is just too much I guess.

If I'm going to give it one last try, I have access to the following books - any recos?

Enders Game

The Dune Chronicles

The Foundation Trilogy

American Gods

I need any recos today as I'll be out of the country again tomorrow until April and want to load up my kindle.

Thanks!

HHGG isn't really fantasy, more a Python-esque romp around the galaxy. Highly recommended.

Hated Ender's Game, seemed obvious from the start.

The first Dune book was awesome (and you might find some seeds of WoT in there). Couldn't get through any of the others in the series.

Never tried the Foundation series.

American Gods isn't really fantasy either, at least not in the way of Fire/Ice or WoT. But it is very good, though I liked it much better on the re-read. You might find a familiar name floating around in there!

The original Dragonlance Chronicles is great, though it's aimed at a little younger than WoT audience. It's my Star Wars of fantasy, romanticized but good for young and old.

WoT does drag quite a bit. But the books that were written after Jordan died have picked up the pace and are definite improvements. It'll take some time to get there, but if you're invested in the characters and story, you'll ultimately get your reward.

Enders Game

The Dune Chronicles

The Foundation Trilogy

American Gods

Thanks!

HHGG isn't really fantasy, more a Python-esque romp around the galaxy. Highly recommended.

The first Dune book was awesome (and you might find some seeds of WoT in there). Couldn't get through any of the others in the series.

American Gods isn't really fantasy either, at least not in the way of Fire/Ice or WoT. But it is very good, though I liked it much better on the re-read. You might find a familiar name floating around in there!

The original Dragonlance Chronicles is great, though it's aimed at a little younger than WoT audience. It's my Star Wars of fantasy, romanticized but good for young and old.

WoT does drag quite a bit. But the books that were written after Jordan died have picked up the pace and are definite improvements. It'll take some time to get there, but if you're invested in the characters and story, you'll ultimately get your reward.

Great post - thank you MS.

I will plod through Wheel of Time. I have to switch back and forth between WoT and historical non fiction to keep me reading. I've never read anything but historical non fiction so the leap to fantasy has been really weird for me. I'm definitely interested in the books. Arya/Jon Snow/Daenyrs (in book 1) were some of my favorite characters I've ever come across.

I like WoT slightly less - I do enjoy Mat's story. Did Martin blatantly rip from Jordan? The warging into a wolf thing was huge in the 2nd book of WoT and then a major story arc in Bran's chapters. There were a lot of other things I picked up on too. I wonder if that's ever been discussed some of the huge similarities.

If I'm going to give it one last try, I have access to the following books - any recos?Hitchhikers Guide To The GalaxyEnders GameThe Dune ChroniclesThe Foundation TrilogyAmerican Gods

My order: Enders Game (one of my fav. books, despite it's simplicity, and it's a quick read if you don't delve into the followup books.)The Foundation Trilogy (great series, about time I reread this one.)The Dune Chronicles (start with the first one, you'll know if you want to keep reading or not.)American Gods (never read it, but still put it above HGTTG for me)Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy (didn't care for it, I know...sacrilege)Other recos: Sword of Truth series (another "epic" fantasy series along the lines of WoT or ASOFAI, gets a bit politcal/preachy/repetitive in the final half of the series.)Mistborn Trilogy (Brandon Sanderson Trilogy, the author finishing the WoT series.)

Enders Game

The Dune Chronicles

The Foundation Trilogy

American Gods

Thanks!

Great post - thank you MS.

I will plod through Wheel of Time. I have to switch back and forth between WoT and historical non fiction to keep me reading. I've never read anything but historical non fiction so the leap to fantasy has been really weird for me. I'm definitely interested in the books. Arya/Jon Snow/Daenyrs (in book 1) were some of my favorite characters I've ever come across.

I like WoT slightly less - I do enjoy Mat's story. Did Martin blatantly rip from Jordan? The warging into a wolf thing was huge in the 2nd book of WoT and then a major story arc in Bran's chapters. There were a lot of other things I picked up on too. I wonder if that's ever been discussed some of the huge similarities.

What goes around comes around. Read Dune and you won't mind if someone turns around and borrows from Jordan. But werewolves and shape shifters have been around for a long time. Everything gets recycled.

If you like historical non-fiction, try some historical fantasy. Guy Gavriel Kay has some good ones, especially Lions of Al-Rassan.

Enders Game

The Dune Chronicles

The Foundation Trilogy

American Gods

My order:

Enders Game (one of my fav. books, despite it's simplicity, and it's a quick read if you don't delve into the followup books.)

The Foundation Trilogy (great series, about time I reread this one.)

The Dune Chronicles (start with the first one, you'll know if you want to keep reading or not.)

American Gods (never read it, but still put it above HGTTG for me)

Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy (didn't care for it, I know...sacrilege)

Other recos:

Sword of Truth series (another "epic" fantasy series along the lines of WoT or ASOFAI, gets a bit politcal/preachy/repetitive in the final half of the series.)

Mistborn Trilogy (Brandon Sanderson Trilogy, the author finishing the WoT series.)

I agree with this one - very good series

The Foundation Series is awesome but it's science fiction, not fantasy. Highly recommended though.

Enders Game

The Dune Chronicles

The Foundation Trilogy

American Gods

My order:

Enders Game (one of my fav. books, despite it's simplicity, and it's a quick read if you don't delve into the followup books.)

The Foundation Trilogy (great series, about time I reread this one.)

The Dune Chronicles (start with the first one, you'll know if you want to keep reading or not.)

American Gods (never read it, but still put it above HGTTG for me)

Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy (didn't care for it, I know...sacrilege)

Other recos:

Sword of Truth series (another "epic" fantasy series along the lines of WoT or ASOFAI, gets a bit politcal/preachy/repetitive in the final half of the series.)

Mistborn Trilogy (Brandon Sanderson Trilogy, the author finishing the WoT series.)

I agree with this one - very good series
I was pretty meh on it. Showed some good creativity in manufacturing a world but I thought it was pretty pedestrian in it's execution. His new series showed a lot more of his world building and was more sophisticated. But that's a planned 12 (?) book series and he had to get WoT out of the way first so it'll be a long time before book 2 comes out.

Without spoilers (im only almost done w Swords) why are people disappointed seemingly w Crows and Dragons? Swords is so damn good and seems to be setting up big things to come.

-Think that's the first time I've ever heard of someone not loving Ender's Game, it's one of my favorite books ever written. I think it helps to read it as a young teen though so you can identify with it a little more though.

-Loved the 1st Dune, hated the sequels.

-Hitchhikers Guide I haven't read since I was a teen so I don't know how well it will age, but I thought it was really funny at the time.

-The Sword of Truth series starts out so well, but goes really downhill after book 6. 2, 4 & 6 in that series are great, some of my favorites. After that, it's more a labor of love to finish the series as he gets way too political/philosphical and the books get tedious.

Without spoilers (im only almost done w Swords) why are people disappointed seemingly w Crows and Dragons? Swords is so damn good and seems to be setting up big things to come.

I'm about 350 pages in to crows and think its great.I think people's main issue is it covers some new characters and different lands.So if your hoping it starts off right where swords ends it could be a let down. But if you just enjoy the story telling for what it is its still a very good read.

I'm only through Crows so can't speak for both. But Crows added so many new characters and plot lines that I was really confused as to what the hell was going on. Plus, no chapters of Tyrion, Jon, or Daenerys.

I'm only through Crows so can't speak for both. But Crows added so many new characters and plot lines that I was really confused as to what the hell was going on. Plus, no chapters of Tyrion, Jon, or Daenerys.
:sadbanana: Starting Crows tonight, those are some of my favorite chapters

There's plenty of them in the following book.

LMAO @ W.I.S.C. Epic!

On Page 700 of Storm of Swords . . . .things seem like they are about to get interesting

yes, yes indeed.
Whoa.

i suspected robb was next, but not caitlyn. I dont know how you guys kept up on these books without the internet. Was i supposed to know Roose Bolton delivered the final blow? I was always leary of him, but because i've been slowly reading this one i couldn't remember why, so i looked at wiki a bit on robb and him.

i have no doubt this will end up the best show on tv maybe only behind the wire. Maybe.

Season 2 will combine some of Kings and Swords as the beginning of Swords takes place at the same time as the last several chapters of Kings. I cant wait for seasin 2!!

Just got to Storm of Swords page 700 and haven't picked up book in a couple of days. I guess maybe 750, whatever, don't wanna spoil, and don't wanna read this thread until I am done with books,

but geez, I am sick to my stomach about it. Really pizzed. Danerys is all I am rooting for now, especially since she has the "right" to the kingdom.

Had to vent somewhere, thanks. Gonna miss Arya big time. Was really rooting for her. I am hoping that whatever brings the other dudes back to life will get to her somehow. They would have to find her, that crazy lady on top of the hill said she stunk of death and all.

On Page 700 of Storm of Swords . . . .things seem like they are about to get interesting

yes, yes indeed.
Whoa.

i suspected robb was next, but not caitlyn. I dont know how you guys kept up on these books without the internet. Was i supposed to know Roose Bolton delivered the final blow? I was always leary of him, but because i've been slowly reading this one i couldn't remember why, so i looked at wiki a bit on robb and him.

i have no doubt this will end up the best show on tv maybe only behind the wire. Maybe.

Season 2 will combine some of Kings and Swords as the beginning of Swords takes place at the same time as the last several chapters of Kings. I cant wait for seasin 2!!

Just got to Storm of Swords page 700 and haven't picked up book in a couple of days. I guess maybe 750, whatever, don't wanna spoil, and don't wanna read this thread until I am done with books,

but geez, I am sick to my stomach about it. Really pizzed. Danerys is all I am rooting for now, especially since she has the "right" to the kingdom.

Had to vent somewhere, thanks. Gonna miss Arya big time. Was really rooting for her. I am hoping that whatever brings the other dudes back to life will get to her somehow. They would have to find her, that crazy lady on top of the hill said she stunk of death and all.

Hey . .

I didn't interpret that as the Hound killing Arya, rather, he knocked her out with the side of the axe. I haven't read that yet, but that is how I interpreted the end of that chapter. I am pissed though, because I really liked Robb. It's like you shouldn't get attached to any character because it seems as though all the good guys are going to die. Depressing.

The spoiler tags work the same as the quote tags, except you write "spoiler" instead of "quote" within the brackets.
Crap, I tried a bunch of times and couldn't figure it out when I went to preview the post...

Yea, being that those are pretty much my favorite chapters, I can see why some may not like Crows. I like the over-arching story though, so I hope to enjoy it as much as Swords to an extent. But I really look forward to Tyrion chapters, so that is a little disappointing.

Crap, I tried a bunch of times and couldn't figure it out when I went to preview the post...
When you hit "reply" to this post, you'll be taken to the editor where, above the text box, over to the left, you'll see a drop-down menu that says "Other styles." You can choose the spoiler option from there.

I didn't really think it was that bad. At the time it was clearly not as good as any of the others, but I blazed through it and didn't really notice overly who was missing until towards the end. What set a lot of people off IMO is how he divided the book into sets of characters and then the massive delay of the next one. I had one of the copies that famously ended in "Meanwhile back at The Wall" and when I got to it, that really pissed me off, coming as a shock and thinking it was part of the writing at first. They took that part out of later editions but it was jarring. IIRC the Jaime and Arya parts were intriguing enough. If the last book had come out 6 months later, I don't think it would've been as big a deal to split it like they did, but 6 years with half a story was lame.

I'm about 350 pages in to crows and think its great.I think people's main issue is it covers some new characters and different lands.So if your hoping it starts off right where swords ends it could be a let down. But if you just enjoy the story telling for what it is its still a very good read.
good post

I didn't really think it was that bad. At the time it was clearly not as good as any of the others, but I blazed through it and didn't really notice overly who was missing until towards the end. What set a lot of people off IMO is how he divided the book into sets of characters and then the massive delay of the next one. I had one of the copies that famously ended in "Meanwhile back at The Wall" and when I got to it, that really pissed me off, coming as a shock and thinking it was part of the writing at first. They took that part out of later editions but it was jarring. IIRC the Jaime and Arya parts were intriguing enough. If the last book had come out 6 months later, I don't think it would've been as big a deal to split it like they did, but 6 years with half a story was lame.
I don't know. I just finished this thing but maybe I am remembering incorrectly. But it seemed like the first half of the book there was an introduction to a bunch of new characters, and then those stories didn't seem to go anywhere, because the last half was all Jaime/Cersei/Brienne.Are you sure they took that "Meanwhile" part out? It was in my copy that is a fairly new paperback.

When you hit "reply" to this post, you'll be taken to the editor where, above the text box, over to the left, you'll see a drop-down menu that says "Other styles." You can choose the spoiler option from there.

So I just finished "Swords"...book 3...and in the beginning, Rickon went off with the wildling woman whom they captured in book 1-2. There is a whole line about Brandon, the swamp kids and Hodor, yet there is not a mention of Rickon...where is he? Did he die and I forgot???

I don't know. I just finished this thing but maybe I am remembering incorrectly. But it seemed like the first half of the book there was an introduction to a bunch of new characters, and then those stories didn't seem to go anywhere, because the last half was all Jaime/Cersei/Brienne.Are you sure they took that "Meanwhile" part out? It was in my copy that is a fairly new paperback.
I'm not sure about it, I just thought that's what I had read somewhere, probably in here or in an interview with him. Maybe it was so jarring because the last half was the most interesting half so I'm not remembering the boring parts. The end came suddenly (because of the appendices) and I hated the quick shock back to the real world with his schtick.

Thanks, Maurile!BTW, I have been in big trouble with the wife due to my obsession with the books. About 8 years ago, she was tired of my flipping through fantasy mags in bed and insisted I start reading books. Since then, I have been on a tear, but the Fire and Ice series has created quite the controversy. It all blew up about a week ago, when I went to bed at 10pm, and three hours later I was still reading...she went B.S. on me because I was supposed to be up with the kids that next morning. My reply: "I get it, but you should see what the Imp's whore did"...for some reason, she was not that interested :sadbanana:

Yea, being that those are pretty much my favorite chapters, I can see why some may not like Crows. I like the over-arching story though, so I hope to enjoy it as much as Swords to an extent. But I really look forward to Tyrion chapters, so that is a little disappointing.
Eeek...just finished Swords and need to buy Crows...not liking the bolded above already. I already had a hard time through the Davos chapters (although they did need to develop Stannis), so I am not a huge fan of adding new character chapters at this point.

So I just finished "Swords"...book 3...and in the beginning, Rickon went off with the wildling woman whom they captured in book 1-2. There is a whole line about Brandon, the swamp kids and Hodor, yet there is not a mention of Rickon...where is he? Did he die and I forgot???

He gets mentioned in DoD but we don't actually see him. Theon's mute page knows where he is. Basically the kid is safe and figures into some plans to retake Winterfell from the Boltons. Of course, that situation does not get satisfactorily resolved at the end of DoD, just like every other plot and subplot in the whole series.Classic case of a writer simply trying to do too much.

Do we know that there are for sure only two more books? I mean, does Martin actually have an end game for everything?

Supposedly. And at the rate he kills people off, storylines could get streamlined real quick.