Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sabertooth

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners

Is that Stannis doing the narration?

Didn't sound like Renly.
Had to be Stannis based on the content. Was that the letter he sent out? I do not recall that line from the book "the cold winds are rising" but I think I have forgotten a lot. Refresh my recollection.
I don't really think this is a spoiler, but just in case...IIRC he sent out a letter to the head families with the truth about Joffrey's parentage and claiming he, Stannis, to be the rightful king. The letter is how that little factoid gets spread around.

Right. Im asking if that narration is an excerpt.

I believe it is the contents of the letter he sent out to everyone.In the book, the actual words are not revealed.Pretty cool fill in, imo.

Right. Im asking if that narration is an excerpt.

Who knows. It doesnt' talk about Joffrey's real father so it's not the verbatim of the letter in the books, though I'm not sure that's ever written out or not. It sounded more like a 1st person omniscient type of narration made for the show.

I am currently pushing through the 1st book and plan on reading the 2nd prior to season 2. My wife and some friends had already read before season 1. This seems to be an unique occurrence in that watching the show 2nd is just as satisfying as reading the book 2nd.

I am currently pushing through the 1st book and plan on reading the 2nd prior to season 2. My wife and some friends had already read before season 1. This seems to be an unique occurrence in that watching the show 2nd is just as satisfying as reading the book 2nd.

Doooooo iiiittttttt

Doooooo iiiittttttt
May want to push into book 3 a little as well - supposedly some of the events from book 3 may be in season 2.

The beginning of book 3 takes place at the same time as the end of book 2, so that all makes sense to have those overlap in season 2.

One thing remains true so far through 1/3 of Crow:

Cersei is a ####

I have a question:

In the series when the imp is on trial and demands trial by combat, the man who fights for him is accused by the nutty sister of fighting without honor. Now, he doesn't cheat. All he does that I could surmise that would be dishonorable is avoid the longsword's slashes several times. So how did he fight without honor? Is it more honorable to use your sword as defense than it is to avoid the sword's path?

I have a question:In the series when the imp is on trial and demands trial by combat, the man who fights for him is accused by the nutty sister of fighting without honor. Now, he doesn't cheat. All he does that I could surmise that would be dishonorable is avoid the longsword's slashes several times. So how did he fight without honor? Is it more honorable to use your sword as defense than it is to avoid the sword's path?

He didn't fight like an armored knight, toe to toe raining blows down on each other's huge shield until one of them falls. He had no shield (iirc) and dodged and eluded the knight using the chamber's features to his advantage.

I have a question:In the series when the imp is on trial and demands trial by combat, the man who fights for him is accused by the nutty sister of fighting without honor. Now, he doesn't cheat. All he does that I could surmise that would be dishonorable is avoid the longsword's slashes several times. So how did he fight without honor? Is it more honorable to use your sword as defense than it is to avoid the sword's path?

I took it as(not saying it's right or wrong)- not fighting back right away and basically "running away" until the other guy tire as dishonorable.

He didn't fight like an armored knight, toe to toe raining blows down on each other's huge shield until one of them falls. He had no shield (iirc) and dodged and eluded the knight using the chamber's features to his advantage.

I took it as(not saying it's right or wrong)- not fighting back right away and basically "running away" until the other guy tire as dishonorable.

This is pretty much what I suspected. Thanks.

:yes: He rope-a-doped him.

I agree with both Gator and Mjolnirs. He fought to win. He fought smart. He played it exactly how the Imp would have. Plus Lyssa is a not job and she was just pissed she lost so it was sour grapes on her part. The Imp outfoxed her and it cost her boy his chance to see him fly.

Almost at page 600 in Crows. I don't hate it. It's my least favorite though thus far. I just hope the book was actually necessary for the overall story when all is said and done. So far it seems that the ball isn't moving too much, although we learn more about other characters, motivations, and some things surely are being set up.

One thing troubled me:

I'm a little confused what is going on with Arya. I do not buy Arya Stark seeing a memeber of the Watch and not asking about Jon Snow.

Almost at page 600 in Crows. I don't hate it. It's my least favorite though thus far. I just hope the book was actually necessary for the overall story when all is said and done. So far it seems that the ball isn't moving too much, although we learn more about other characters, motivations, and some things surely are being set up.

One thing troubled me:

I'm a little confused what is going on with Arya. I do not buy Arya Stark seeing a memeber of the Watch and not asking about Jon Snow.

I am right around the same pages.

Are you at the point where Sam fights the Bard and gets thrown in the River? I figured Arya was feeling out Sam. I also think she has partially bought into The House of Black and White. She is trying to be "no one" right now.

BUT, I notice she has a chapter coming up again, so I assume she gets involved pretty quickly

One thing troubled me:

Are you at the point where Sam fights the Bard and gets thrown in the River? I figured Arya was feeling out Sam. I also think she has partially bought into The House of Black and White. She is trying to be "no one" right now.

BUT, I notice she has a chapter coming up again, so I assume she gets involved pretty quickly

Same chapter.

Yea, she seems to be buying into it. I don't buy that though is my point. After all she has been through and how Jon Snow was her favorite I just didn't understand how she doesn't ask a member of the Night's Watch anything really.

Edited by Leeroy Jenkins

One thing troubled me:

Same chapter.

Yea, she seems to be buying into it. I don't buy that though is my point. After all she has been through and how Jon Snow was her favorite I just didn't understand how she doesn't ask a member of the Night's Watch anything really.

The Night's Watch almost got her killed the first go round. See Yoren and that whole disaster. 90 percent of her list are related to atrocities she witnessed as a result of her capture by The Mountain men.

:shrug:

150 into crows, much slower burn than books 1-3

I am in the 400s...and while my wife and I had fights through the first three books, when she would wake up at 2am and I was still reading after 3 hours, when she says "time for bed" now, I close that puppy, no questions asked. Waaay too much development of new characters when the existing characters still alive have not gone sour (IMO). I do like the Brienne/Pod development. Shows you how clever Martin is (never would have thought of pairing the two together, but it seems to be working thus far very well).

I tell you what, if:

This Ironborn storyline doesn't do anything for the series overall I am going to be annoyed. Those and Brienne are my least favorite chapters right now. I do not care who ends up being the leader of the Iron Islands. The stuff going on in Dorne and Samwell getting to Oldtown I can get behind. And I really like the Cersei chapters because I love to hate her #####-###.

I tell you what, if:

This Ironborn storyline doesn't do anything for the series overall I am going to be annoyed. Those and Brienne are my least favorite chapters right now. I do not care who ends up being the leader of the Iron Islands. The stuff going on in Dorne and Samwell getting to Oldtown I can get behind. And I really like the Cersei chapters because I love to hate her #####-###.

The Ironborn's actions by the end of Feast sets some stuff in motion - forces others hands. They also have ramifications in the next book that haven't played all the way out yet. I agree that if it kind of fizzles, it'll be frustrating. Brienne's story in this book gets a ton of criticism but I didn't mind it much - there's some between-the-lines stuff that happens that I think is going to be important in future books.

Trailer for the RPGhttp://www.eurogamer.net/videos/game-of-thrones-winter-trailer

When is this coming out? Looks pretty cool, except for a dude wearing glasses.

I tell you what, if:

The Reaver chapter was sooooo fn long too. Ooooof.

I tell you what, if:

The Reaver chapter was sooooo fn long too. Ooooof.:goodposting:The summary on Tower of the Hand site made it seem a lot better than it was too. I'm in the habit now of reading these summaries the day after I read the chapters just in case I miss something by being tired or distracted while trying to read at night.

I tell you what, if:

The Reaver chapter was sooooo fn long too. Ooooof.
:goodposting:The summary on Tower of the Hand site made it seem a lot better than it was too. I'm in the habit now of reading these summaries the day after I read the chapters just in case I miss something by being tired or distracted while trying to read at night.When reading that chapter, I almost considered just reading the summary instead :bag: but I toughed it out.I don't mind the meandering story lines, but keep them short and switch it up.

Trailer for the RPGhttp://www.eurogamer.net/videos/game-of-thrones-winter-trailer

Is that a joke? That is a cameo by GRR Martin as a Maester.March 6, 2012

:lmao: Didn't realize that!

:lmao: Didn't realize that!
;) It's fan service. He does stick out like a sore thumb if you don't know who he is.

I am so mad at GRRM after the last book that if I ever meet him I am liable to punch him in the ####.

I was that mad during Swords. You're telling me it only gets worse in Dragons?

I'm about to start reading Storm of Swords...is it any good?

#### yes.
I wasnt sure after your previous comment! I'm off until 2012 and hopefully I can get a good part of it done!

#### yes.
I wasnt sure after your previous comment! I'm off until 2012 and hopefully I can get a good part of it done!
That's the best of the bunch IMO. Trudging through book 5 and I think GRRM has introduced way too many characters at such a late game. Hard to keep track of all the plots and sub plots. Major characters go, minor characters become major characters, and some characters disappear only to reappear thousands of pages later. It's maddening sometimes.Still one of the classiest fantasy epics ever written.

Best one I've read so far(I'm plodding through Feast for Crows right now)

Saw the 1st two episodes again the other night on HBO. Man that's a good show. The locations, sets, costumes, cinematography, and camera work are all amazing.

I am so mad at GRRM after the last book that if I ever meet him I am liable to punch him in the ####.

I was that mad during Swords. You're telling me it only gets worse in Dragons?
Kinda...

It gets a little better but ultimately more of the same. Characters introduced that seem to be important but ultimately don't matter. Avoidance of any resolution whatsoever. Lack of real movement of plot with a whole lot of characters moving around. Ridiculous cliffhangers at the end. Ultimately at the end of the book, you don't really know any more than you did after the end of Clash of Kings except a few more main characters are dead.

Saw the 1st two episodes again the other night on HBO. Man that's a good show. The locations, sets, costumes, cinematography, and camera work are all amazing.

And the best part is it is a smash hit so no worries about it disappearing due to the cost. I read an article in Variety that said Game of Thrones was the most profitable show on TV.