What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (2 Viewers)

I'm on roughly chapter 15 or so of the first book (just after Arya & Joffrey have their spat) - listening to it on my drive to and from work. It's been quite a while since I've read the books, but I'm totally mesmerized by it and actually get upset when I arrive at my destination since it means I have to stop listening :nerd:

I've been listening to it on the job site. People give you funny looks when the Tyrion voice is the first thing they hear when they walk in.

So does Syrio Forel live or die? I tend to think the water dancer lives. What a great little character. Reminds me of the Dustin Hoffman character in Kung Fu Panda.

So does Syrio Forel live or die? I tend to think the water dancer lives. What a great little character. Reminds me of the Dustin Hoffman character in Kung Fu Panda.
I was wondering the same thing when I re-read it recently. I was sure when his character was introduced that he died when the #### went down and kept looking for the passage where he died but never found it, obviously. Maybe it's just a writer's trick to keep a character in reserve for a later date; one that he can never feature again without upsetting any storylines as well.

I was wondering the same thing when I re-read it recently. I was sure when his character was introduced that he died when the #### went down and kept looking for the passage where he died but never found it, obviously. Maybe it's just a writer's trick to keep a character in reserve for a later date; one that he can never feature again without upsetting any storylines as well.
There's a theory out there that he's already reappeared. I don't feel like going into details but maybe one of the Stark kids has seen him again (even if that kid doesn't know it).

I'm now reading this series for the first time and it is absolutely infuriating. Nothing good ever happens to the good guys, and just when it looks like things are going to turn around, something else happens that kicks the Starks in the groin. I just read the part in a Storm of Swords where

It looks like both Robb and Catelyn die at the hands of the Freys
and I wanted to throw my book.

Great series so far, but man, sometimes it seems like the bad guys win an awful lot more than the good guys do.

I'm now reading this series for the first time and it is absolutely infuriating. Nothing good ever happens to the good guys, and just when it looks like things are going to turn around, something else happens that kicks the Starks in the groin. I just read the part in a Storm of Swords where

and I wanted to throw my book.Great series so far, but man, sometimes it seems like the bad guys win an awful lot more than the good guys do.

That's one of the great things about the series. Martin isn't afraid to sucker punch you by killing off a popular character.

and I wanted to throw my book.Great series so far, but man, sometimes it seems like the bad guys win an awful lot more than the good guys do.
That's one of the great things about the series. Martin isn't afraid to sucker punch you by killing off a popular character.As much as I have enjoyed this series, and would likely enjoy a re-reading, the prospect of re-reading the books is rather unappealing to me just because I know that, one day, I'll turn the page and find myself at the beginning of that chapter.

Started the 2nd book last night. Just amazing and gripping stuff from the getgo. Couldn't put it down until about 1:30am when I started to fall asleep. Just one more chapter(POV)... just one more chapter(POV)....
Finished it last night, just could not put it down every night when I got home from work. I will agree with some criticisms that the foreshadowing is a little too obvious sometimes and he has a weird obsession with describing some disturbing sex scenes in too much detail, but dang is it not really entertaining and gut wrenching reading. But yeah, the bad guys win a lot and there are times I want to throw my book because of it.I can totally understand how some people are so frustrated at how long it has taken him to put out these books though. With the constant POV changes and different plotlines going on, it's like a literary version of the tv show Lost. Each plotline goes at a snails pace and the POV's are usually ending on a cliffhanger or right in the middle of the action. I am glad I am just discovering these books now, instead of having to wait 5+ years in between some of them. God help me to have the patience to space out reading the next 3.

That's one of the great things about the series. Martin isn't afraid to sucker punch you by killing off a popular character.
As much as I have enjoyed this series, and would likely enjoy a re-reading, the prospect of re-reading the books is rather unappealing to me just because I know that, one day, I'll turn the page and find myself at the beginning of that chapter.I was fairly upset with Ned, but this is way worse. I don't think I've ever raged at a book like this. I had to set it down and walk away as soon as I finished the chapter. Martin makes some very likable character but then he kills them all off.

I feel ya, but you have to remember the series is just over halfway completed. We've still got 3 more books to read, so who knows if the good guys turn it around.

Last edited by a moderator:
The honor weighs down the good guys. Just like the honor fight where Tyrion had Bronn fight for him against the knight. Everyone laughed when the sellsword came out unencumbered, but the armor just weighed down the knight in the end. I believe Littlefinger says something like this to Ned, about thinking his honor protects him when it doesn't.

I'm hoping the good guys come through.

I DID throw the book and walk away during this episode. I had to go back the next day and re-read the damned chapter just to make sure I didn't misunderstand. I think Martin said it was the last chapter he wrote for the book because he dreaded it so much.

I DID throw the book and walk away during this episode. I had to go back the next day and re-read the damned chapter just to make sure I didn't misunderstand. I think Martin said it was the last chapter he wrote for the book because he dreaded it so much.Yeah, that chapter was intense. Didn't throw the book, but my mind was just going "no no no no no no" in the last few pages, and I had to set it down and just get away for a while. Then I came back, reread it, and unfortunately, events still unfolded the same way.I don't mind characters dying. A writer shouldn't fear being cruel to his creations, if it serves a purpose. That said, he better not kill my favorite characters. :rant:

Wow, that looked really, really good. Some of it was a little too obviously greenscreen but my TV isn't properly calibrated right now (waiting on replacement) and I was sitting right up close with all the lights out, maybe too close. But wow, it looked great from costuming to castle to the land itself. They're certainly not squeamish on the gore or the proliferation of heads liberated from their bodies, I think the first dismembered corpses are only 2 minutes in. Gonna be a tough two weeks!

I'm not sure I like the idea of bringing up the Others so early. I know they're present obviously in the opening of GoT, but I don't recall Bran or the deserter talking about them during the beheading. Plus with them showing the Others so clearly, it will be tough to not bring them back in sometime in the first season, which of course doesn't really happen in the books. The undead, yes, but not the Others themselves. Quite frankly, the White Walkers were the only aesthetic choice I didn't like. They looked a little too undeady to me. I pictured them very elf-like with their grace and beauty belying their evilness. Plus I couldn't help but think of Iron Maiden since they looked a lot like Eddie. But anyway, it sort of forces their hand in dealing with the invasions from the North into the first season which, I'm mostly through the second book (re-reading the series and liking it more the second time!) and it still isn't a major factor yet, still in the foreshadowing phase. I realize it's necessary to accelerate many storylines for the 12 episode=1 book season so I'm more interested than disappointed in how they're changing things. Holy ####, this could end up being a top 5 series of all time for me. Growing up a fantasy geek (I'm 38), usually a fantasy series was cheesy or poorly done, now that technology has caught up to comic book/fantasy realism level, I feel like I'm in 7th grade again and reading Dragonlance Chronicles the first time (hmmmmm, that'd make an awesome series too!).

I feel like I'm in 7th grade again and reading Dragonlance Chronicles the first time (hmmmmm, that'd make an awesome series too!).
Well, haven't heard anything about a series there, but they did make a full-length animated move a couple years back...

I absolutely agree with you on this one. The first time I read that part I wanted to quit the series because I was so mad. Of course, I didn't because I was too intrigued, but I wasn't happy about the turn of events.

'mad sweeney said:
Wow, that looked really, really good. Some of it was a little too obviously greenscreen but my TV isn't properly calibrated right now (waiting on replacement) and I was sitting right up close with all the lights out, maybe too close. But wow, it looked great from costuming to castle to the land itself. They're certainly not squeamish on the gore or the proliferation of heads liberated from their bodies, I think the first dismembered corpses are only 2 minutes in. Gonna be a tough two weeks!

I'm not sure I like the idea of bringing up the Others so early. I know they're present obviously in the opening of GoT, but I don't recall Bran or the deserter talking about them during the beheading. Plus with them showing the Others so clearly, it will be tough to not bring them back in sometime in the first season, which of course doesn't really happen in the books. The undead, yes, but not the Others themselves. Quite frankly, the White Walkers were the only aesthetic choice I didn't like. They looked a little too undeady to me. I pictured them very elf-like with their grace and beauty belying their evilness. Plus I couldn't help but think of Iron Maiden since they looked a lot like Eddie. But anyway, it sort of forces their hand in dealing with the invasions from the North into the first season which, I'm mostly through the second book (re-reading the series and liking it more the second time!) and it still isn't a major factor yet, still in the foreshadowing phase. I realize it's necessary to accelerate many storylines for the 12 episode=1 book season so I'm more interested than disappointed in how they're changing things. Holy ####, this could end up being a top 5 series of all time for me. Growing up a fantasy geek (I'm 38), usually a fantasy series was cheesy or poorly done, now that technology has caught up to comic book/fantasy realism level, I feel like I'm in 7th grade again and reading Dragonlance Chronicles the first time (hmmmmm, that'd make an awesome series too!).
Here's more of my concern about accelerated plotlines
I bought the GoT weather app for iPhone simply for the ridiculousness of it. It has the weather for some big cities and compares it to a city/land in Westeros. THought it'd have some cool pics we haven't seen yet. For Los Angeles it compared it to Pentos and the picture it showed was what is most likely Dany standing in silhouette to a pink sunset while the script offered some goodies about Pentos. Only problem is, I'm part way through book 3 right now and she's not even in Pentos yet. So IF that's an actual production still and she goes to Pentos gathering her army in season 1, my fear of the series outpacing the books on some plotlines is getting more fuel. Or, I could just be reading far too much into it and my worry about the fat man croaking on us like Jordan did is just running away with my imagination because the series is still a week and a half away.
Also, I think a special about the making of GoT is on tonight.

When does this start? I just negotiated free HBO from DirecTV but GOT is not showing up on Tivo yet.

So pumped for this.Just 1 episode a month, right?
Seriously? That kind of blows and makes it tough to create a new audience doesn't it?Is the "preview" they showed recently just the beginning of episode 1 or something else? I never read any of the books, but I want to watch this.

Did anyone watch the extended preview? Curious to hear some early opinions.
There was some talk of it above. Basically just the first two scenes of the show where the Night Watch rangers get into a little trouble beyond the wall and then a little of Winterfell that ends with Ned's beheading of a deserter. It looks #####in. I wish the episodes were 90 minutes though...

Is the "preview" they showed recently just the beginning of episode 1 or something else?
Yep. There's some speculation whether there will be any post-production stuff added before the premiere (music, CGI, etc..), but it looked finished to me. In fact, the lack of music makes the scenes north of the Wall spookier IMO.It'll be interesting to see how the continuity goes from episode to episode since there are multiple writers working (Martin himself wrote one of the later season one eps).

In any case, I think this is gonna be a good one. I haven't followed a series on TV in years, but I'm all in on this.

And, of course, fanboards are already going nuts over changes from the books to the TV show ("her fingernails aren't long enough!", "his sword should have one more rivet in it!").

Is the "preview" they showed recently just the beginning of episode 1 or something else?
Yep. There's some speculation whether there will be any post-production stuff added before the premiere (music, CGI, etc..), but it looked finished to me. In fact, the lack of music makes the scenes north of the Wall spookier IMO.It'll be interesting to see how the continuity goes from episode to episode since there are multiple writers working (Martin himself wrote one of the later season one eps).

In any case, I think this is gonna be a good one. I haven't followed a series on TV in years, but I'm all in on this.

And, of course, fanboards are already going nuts over changes from the books to the TV show ("her fingernails aren't long enough!", "his sword should have one more rivet in it!").
I've read that they combined some characters. Not sure what that is or how it was done.

I've read that they combined some characters. Not sure what that is or how it was done.
I think they combined some of the lesser characters, which is probably for the best. I have a hard enough time keeping up with them with the book's glossary in my hands.

I see its on 3 hours. are they repeating 1 episode or do I need to recrd all 3?
I thought I'd read that the first two episodes would be shown tonight a few weeks back, but the schedule on HBO's website shows that they're repeating Episode 1 three times tonight with Episode 2 premiering next week.

Wanna make some guesses for the final scene cliffhanger at the end of episode 1 tonight? Mine's Bran's "fall".
I wouldn't guess against that. I think you nailed it.
That's my guess as well. Hard to be the contrarian here.The things I do for love...
It's been pretty much confirmed. Someone with much more time on their hands than I and with much more patience than I divvied up AGOT into episodes base on an average of 80-100 pages per episode in season one to cover the book. I'm looking for it and will post as a spoiler if I find it. But Martin cliffhangers a bunch of chapters in the second half of the book, so they've got some flexibility with the page count. "The things I do for love", however, is the first cliffhanger of the book and is a perfectly logical place to end Ep One.

Wanna make some guesses for the final scene cliffhanger at the end of episode 1 tonight? Mine's Bran's "fall".
That's my guess as well. Hard to be the contrarian here.The things I do for love...
It's been pretty much confirmed. Someone with much more time on their hands than I and with much more patience than I divvied up AGOT into episodes base on an average of 80-100 pages per episode in season one to cover the book. I'm looking for it and will post as a spoiler if I find it. But Martin cliffhangers a bunch of chapters in the second half of the book, so they've got some flexibility with the page count. "The things I do for love", however, is the first cliffhanger of the book and is a perfectly logical place to end Ep One.
Is there a link por favor to view that breakdown? Assuming since it's commercial free HBO that episodes are a full 60 minutes, that's only 60 +/- pages of script per episode. Regular TV scripts are usually 40-50 pages long because there's only 45 +/- minutes of screen time after commercial breaks. So unless he's accounting for that as well as allowing for cut out scenes, which obviously he would have no possible way of knowing what's cut/condensed/combined, he's probably overshooting each episode's content. I really wish they were doing 90 minute episodes or starting off with a 2 hour epsiode 1 to be able to establish the world a little more throughly at the start.eta: my other guess would be to end it with a quick look at the other threat to Westeros (after the Others in the prologue) with a little teaser of the Targaeryans across the sea.

Is there a link por favor to view that breakdown? Assuming since it's commercial free HBO that episodes are a full 60 minutes, that's only 60 +/- pages of script per episode. Regular TV scripts are usually 40-50 pages long because there's only 45 +/- minutes of screen time after commercial breaks. So unless he's accounting for that as well as allowing for cut out scenes, which obviously he would have no possible way of knowing what's cut/condensed/combined, he's probably overshooting each episode's content. I really wish they were doing 90 minute episodes or starting off with a 2 hour epsiode 1 to be able to establish the world a little more throughly at the start.eta: my other guess would be to end it with a quick look at the other threat to Westeros (after the Others in the prologue) with a little teaser of the Targaeryans across the sea.
No, GB. I'm still looking for the post. It was on the main ASOIF MB but I can't locate it. My apologies if I'm wrong, but my memory ain't as far gone as it may appear.

No, GB. I'm still looking for the post. It was on the main ASOIF MB but I can't locate it. My apologies if I'm wrong, but my memory ain't as far gone as it may appear.
No worries and thanks for looking. I'll be skimming those boards tomorrow after I watch it (waiting for it to get dark to watch in on the DVR).

Users who are viewing this thread