What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (4 Viewers)

The viewers guide says they were at Casterly Rock in last weeks ep....was that where Robb was at the beginning where he defeated the Lannister army again?
Basically, they were in the vicinity (give or take about 10 miles).
Isn't Casterly Rock Tywin's HQ? Is it basically empty now that he's out at war?
I do not think any of this is spoiler.This was the Battle of Oxcross from the books. The defeated Lannisters retreat to Casterly Rock/Lannisport, the seat of House Lannister. Tywin is currently with his army at Harrenhal. In the book the remnants of Jaime's army are at Golden Tooth.

'TLEF316 said:
Am I the only sick ******* who thought that Roz was going to be forced to do something else to the other girl with that staff? :unsure:
Same here. We are degenerates.
More accurately, the show is sexually depraved and it's what we've come to expect.
It is much worse than the books actually. I don't recall a single brothel sex scene until perhaps the 5th book (and I would have to double check to make sure it just wasn't a scene in a brothel).

'TLEF316 said:
Am I the only sick ******* who thought that Roz was going to be forced to do something else to the other girl with that staff? :unsure:
More accurately, the show is sexually depraved and it's what we've come to expect.
It is much worse than the books actually. I don't recall a single brothel sex scene until perhaps the 5th book (and I would have to double check to make sure it just wasn't a scene in a brothel).
I wouldn't call it worse. GRRM describes Dany's sex scenes w/ Drogo in pretty racy detail. A few of those scenes never made it on the show, specifically Dany pulling everything out of her little bag of sex tricks in an attempt to revive him. There is a lot of T&A in the show, but I think it's warranted based on Martin's material.

'TLEF316 said:
I wouldn't call it worse. GRRM describes Dany's sex scenes w/ Drogo in pretty racy detail. A few of those scenes never made it on the show, specifically Dany pulling everything out of her little bag of sex tricks in an attempt to revive him. There is a lot of T&A in the show, but I think it's warranted based on Martin's material.
good post.Theon showing the wannabe salt wife how to swallow was pretty graphic too.The phrase "spent his seed" is used about 10,000 times.

'TLEF316 said:
:goodposting:
"Fat pink mast".

There are far more scenes added than removed. Every Roz scene, every brothel scene, Stannis, Renly, Theon + Asha, and I can name several more. I am not saying the books aren't graphic - but much of the T&A in the show isn't in the books. I do find it strange that they have removed most of the Shae scenes.I was more referring to the depravity comment though.

'TLEF316 said:
Yeah, they said something similar on the Cast of Kings podcast. Makes sense, as HBO likes to push the envelope.

There are far more scenes added than removed. Every Roz scene, every brothel scene, Stannis, Renly, Theon + Asha, and I can name several more. I am not saying the books aren't graphic - but much of the T&A in the show isn't in the books. I do find it strange that they have removed most of the Shae scenes.I was more referring to the depravity comment though.
The producers have clearly used most of the sex scenes to explain detailed parts of the story that might seem dull or out of place in just a casual conversation between characters. I don't think the producers wanted John from Cinci style monologues and there just wasn't the time or budget for so many flashbacks. With whom else would these characters speak to that wouldn't already know 90% of the info given? I think the idea is did they keep the sex within in the spirit of the book?

The producers have clearly used most of the sex scenes to explain detailed parts of the story that might seem dull or out of place in just a casual conversation between characters. I don't think the producers wanted John from Cinci style monologues and there just wasn't the time or budget for so many flashbacks. With whom else would these characters speak to that wouldn't already know 90% of the info given? I think the idea is did they keep the sex within in the spirit of the book?
My short answer would be "no". I don't have the inclination to document the pointlessness or effectiveness of each scene in both the books and the show but I think many of the scenes are extraneous or miss the mark.

My short answer would be "no". I don't have the inclination to document the pointlessness or effectiveness of each scene in both the books and the show but I think many of the scenes are extraneous or miss the mark.
Which is why that SNL skit is so hilarious.

Loved the scene between Tyrion and Lancel. Crushed him!

What is the "hour of the wolf"? Just another name for night?

'Matthias said:
So I guess I'm the only one who thought that the show took a turn towards the unwatchable last week? Court intrigue and sechs is fine for most audiences but a few of the scenes in the last episode were sadistic enough that I was wondering if they were going to lose their broader audience.
I agree. Yes, we all know Joffrey is sadistic. I'd rather they spend more time on relavant storylines.

'Matthias said:
So I guess I'm the only one who thought that the show took a turn towards the unwatchable last week? Court intrigue and sechs is fine for most audiences but a few of the scenes in the last episode were sadistic enough that I was wondering if they were going to lose their broader audience.
they aren't going to lose the broader HBO audience. sex and violence are HBO's bread and butter.

Rumors out there that Talisa (or whatever her name was) is actually REPLACING the Jeyne Westerling character . . .
That doesn't make much sense.
I assume she just gave a fake name/place of origin to keep Robb from knowing who she really is (a member of a Lannister bannerman family). They're just pumping up her character to make her more interesting - I mean, she's barely present in the books, so for the purposes of hyping up the love interest angle they have to get her more involved/developed for the viewers.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Matthias said:
best episode of the season IMO.Sawed off foot,Rat torture,Head on a spike,S&MBaby shadow spawnawesome

'Matthias said:
best episode of the season IMO.Sawed off foot,Rat torture,Head on a spike,S&MBaby shadow spawnawesome
:goodposting: The sound the head made being placed on the spike was fantastic as well.

'Matthias said:
:goodposting: The sound the head made being placed on the spike was fantastic as well.
As someone with a rodent phobia, that rat torture almost killed me. :X

'Matthias said:
I agree. Yes, we all know Joffrey is sadistic. I'd rather they spend more time on relavant storylines.
In fairness, Geoffrey got like five minutes on-screen. And Tyrian's verbal smackdown of Geoffrey in the palace was the best scene in the show :shrug:

'Matthias said:
As someone with a rodent phobia, that rat torture almost killed me. :X
not to mention, araya and the list. Dany makes it to QarthNed in the box the warg power of Robb displayed ( I think thats what that was)The imp smacking down Lancel and Joffery

'Matthias said:
'Matthias said:
In fairness, Geoffrey got like five minutes on-screen. And Tyrian's verbal smackdown of Geoffrey in the palace was the best scene in the show :shrug:
Yah, but at this point Joffrey committing Random Acts of Cruelty is just superfluous at this point. So far in the show he has: challenged a butcher boy to a swordfight when the bb didn't have a real sword; beheaded his fiancee's father in front of her; ordered the killing of all of his half-siblings down to the infants; ordered a man to die by drinking himself to death; ordered his fiancee beaten and stripped in public; talked about how great it would be once he puts her brother's head on a spike; and had one prostitute torture another. I get it. He's an #######. That scene didn't seem to serve any bigger purpose. And with all the other gruesomeness in the episode, it made the show painful to watch.
I can't argue with any of that. But I sure love to hate that guy. Apparently, George RR Martin told that actor, "Congratulations, people hate you now." Proves he's nailed the character.

'Matthias said:
'Matthias said:
Yah, but at this point Joffrey committing Random Acts of Cruelty is just superfluous at this point. So far in the show he has: challenged a butcher boy to a swordfight when the bb didn't have a real sword; beheaded his fiancee's father in front of her; ordered the killing of all of his half-siblings down to the infants; ordered a man to die by drinking himself to death; ordered his fiancee beaten and stripped in public; talked about how great it would be once he puts her brother's head on a spike; and had one prostitute torture another. I get it. He's an #######. That scene didn't seem to serve any bigger purpose. And with all the other gruesomeness in the episode, it made the show painful to watch.
I totally disagree.

'Matthias said:
'Matthias said:
I can't argue with any of that. But I sure love to hate that guy. Apparently, George RR Martin told that actor, "Congratulations, people hate you now." Proves he's nailed the character.
"Hate" might not be strong enough a word

'Matthias said:
'Matthias said:
I totally disagree.
Ok, Gimp.
:confused:

'Matthias said:
I don't think the scene was needed (only because we know Joffrey's character already) but I don't think it made the show hard to watch. The only thing that I thought might be hard to watch was the torture. However, the events at Harrenhal are critical in the development of Arya's character.

'Matthias said:
'Matthias said:
actually, I think it did have a purpose. it showed that not only is he mean and cruel, as some people are, but that he really is a sociopath. he had 2 hookers in his room ready to do whatever he wanted. even the most mean and cruel teenage boys would have been knee-deep in ***** for hours, but he didn't even show one inkling of being interested in that. only in what kind of pain and humiliation he could inflict. at least that's how I took it.

'Matthias said:
'Matthias said:
Thinking a bit on it, I'm not so sure it's superfluous. We knew up to that scene that Joffrey was a cruel, sadistic ******* 'in the public eye', but it could have been partially explained by a boy of low self-esteem who feels threatened by what people thought of him (illegitimate child of incest, not worthy of the throne, weak) so he lashes out in a violent way to make people think he's really a badass. This scene, however, drove home the point that he isn't acting that way because of low self-esteem, but because he really likes it. I really thought he was going to get turned on by the spanking and then start banging away, indicative of having somewhat normal male urges. Instead we saw that he is truly a psychopath who gets off on making others suffer. From here on out I would agree that additional scenes of this nature would be superfluous, but I'm not thinking the one with the whores was anymore. It drove home what he really is.

'Matthias said:
'Matthias said:
Thinking a bit on it, I'm not so sure it's superfluous. We knew up to that scene that Joffrey was a cruel, sadistic ******* 'in the public eye', but it could have been partially explained by a boy of low self-esteem who feels threatened by what people thought of him (illegitimate child of incest, not worthy of the throne, weak) so he lashes out in a violent way to make people think he's really a badass. This scene, however, drove home the point that he isn't acting that way because of low self-esteem, but because he really likes it. I really thought he was going to get turned on by the spanking and then start banging away, indicative of having somewhat normal male urges. Instead we saw that he is truly a psychopath who gets off on making others suffer. From here on out I would agree that additional scenes of this nature would be superfluous, but I'm not thinking the one with the whores was anymore. It drove home what he really is.
Well said. We've always known that Geoffrey was a spoiled jerk. But that was a level of depraved sociopathy we hadn't seen before.

'Matthias said:
'Matthias said:
Plus he didn't get rid of any of the poison

'Matthias said:
'Matthias said:
Yeah, good point...that makes sense. :thumbup:

'Matthias said:
'Matthias said:
Well said. We've always known that Geoffrey was a spoiled jerk. But that was a level of depraved sociopathy we hadn't seen before.
That scene was extra for HBO, but it falls in line with him mistrusting Tyrion. He takes any advice or gift from his uncle as an insult.
Joffrey accepting the crossbow as a gift while destroying the rare book he got for his wedding is also telling.

'Matthias said:
'Matthias said:
It will make it all the much sweeter when he chokes to death

Users who are viewing this thread