What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (7 Viewers)

'Matthias said:
So I guess I'm the only one who thought that the show took a turn towards the unwatchable last week? Court intrigue and sechs is fine for most audiences but a few of the scenes in the last episode were sadistic enough that I was wondering if they were going to lose their broader audience.
best episode of the season IMO.Sawed off foot,Rat torture,Head on a spike,S&MBaby shadow spawnawesome
:goodposting: The sound the head made being placed on the spike was fantastic as well.
As someone with a rodent phobia, that rat torture almost killed me. :X
not to mention, araya and the list. Dany makes it to QarthNed in the box the warg power of Robb displayed ( I think thats what that was)The imp smacking down Lancel and Joffery
Since we never see a Robb POV in the books, are there allusions to him harnessing his warg power? I can't recall.

'Matthias said:
'Matthias said:
'Matthias said:
Yah, but at this point Joffrey committing Random Acts of Cruelty is just superfluous at this point. So far in the show he has: challenged a butcher boy to a swordfight when the bb didn't have a real sword; beheaded his fiancee's father in front of her; ordered the killing of all of his half-siblings down to the infants; ordered a man to die by drinking himself to death; ordered his fiancee beaten and stripped in public; talked about how great it would be once he puts her brother's head on a spike; and had one prostitute torture another. I get it. He's an #######. That scene didn't seem to serve any bigger purpose. And with all the other gruesomeness in the episode, it made the show painful to watch.
I totally disagree.
Ok, Gimp.
:confused:
My link
What in the world does that have to do with what I posted? You know what "the gimp" was, right?

'Matthias said:
'Matthias said:
'Matthias said:
Yah, but at this point Joffrey committing Random Acts of Cruelty is just superfluous at this point. So far in the show he has: challenged a butcher boy to a swordfight when the bb didn't have a real sword; beheaded his fiancee's father in front of her; ordered the killing of all of his half-siblings down to the infants; ordered a man to die by drinking himself to death; ordered his fiancee beaten and stripped in public; talked about how great it would be once he puts her brother's head on a spike; and had one prostitute torture another. I get it. He's an #######. That scene didn't seem to serve any bigger purpose. And with all the other gruesomeness in the episode, it made the show painful to watch.
I totally disagree.
Ok, Gimp.
:confused:
My link
What in the world does that have to do with what I posted? You know what "the gimp" was, right?
The Gimp's sleeping

'Matthias said:
'Matthias said:
So I guess I'm the only one who thought that the show took a turn towards the unwatchable last week? Court intrigue and sechs is fine for most audiences but a few of the scenes in the last episode were sadistic enough that I was wondering if they were going to lose their broader audience.
I agree. Yes, we all know Joffrey is sadistic. I'd rather they spend more time on relavant storylines.
In fairness, Geoffrey got like five minutes on-screen. And Tyrian's verbal smackdown of Geoffrey in the palace was the best scene in the show :shrug:
I disagree. I think the scene is very important for future events between him and Tyrion. Remember, Joff gets all bent because it was Tyrion who sent the whores to him. IMO, the scene is intended to show just how much animosity is present between the two, animosity everyone knows about.
This certainly becomes relevant in the very near future.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Matthias said:
'Matthias said:
I agree. Yes, we all know Joffrey is sadistic. I'd rather they spend more time on relavant storylines.
In fairness, Geoffrey got like five minutes on-screen. And Tyrian's verbal smackdown of Geoffrey in the palace was the best scene in the show :shrug:
Thinking a bit on it, I'm not so sure it's superfluous. We knew up to that scene that Joffrey was a cruel, sadistic ******* 'in the public eye', but it could have been partially explained by a boy of low self-esteem who feels threatened by what people thought of him (illegitimate child of incest, not worthy of the throne, weak) so he lashes out in a violent way to make people think he's really a badass. This scene, however, drove home the point that he isn't acting that way because of low self-esteem, but because he really likes it. I really thought he was going to get turned on by the spanking and then start banging away, indicative of having somewhat normal male urges. Instead we saw that he is truly a psychopath who gets off on making others suffer. From here on out I would agree that additional scenes of this nature would be superfluous, but I'm not thinking the one with the whores was anymore. It drove home what he really is.
I think part of it is the actor is doing a fantastic job and his scenes always pop, so they're maybe giving him some extra screen time he might not otherwise have received. He's just good t.v. I think my favorite aspect of him is how he and the Hound interact (the guy playing the Hound is also doing a great job).
And Joffrey doesn't have that much screen time left in relation to some of the other folks, so they have to use him while they can.

'Matthias said:
'Matthias said:
actually, I think it did have a purpose. it showed that not only is he mean and cruel, as some people are, but that he really is a sociopath. he had 2 hookers in his room ready to do whatever he wanted. even the most mean and cruel teenage boys would have been knee-deep in ***** for hours, but he didn't even show one inkling of being interested in that. only in what kind of pain and humiliation he could inflict. at least that's how I took it.
He was sending Tyrion a message more than anything. He was very interested that his uncle sent the girls and he wanted them to be sure Tyrion saw what he did. I am sure he was fuming from Tyrion upstaging him at court and showing Sansa sympathy. He is a teenage boy. His uncle got him a really nice gift for his birthday. He destroyed it and then sent it back to his uncle. He seemed to really enjoy it, but I don't think his main motive was pleasure.

'Matthias said:
'Matthias said:
actually, I think it did have a purpose. it showed that not only is he mean and cruel, as some people are, but that he really is a sociopath. he had 2 hookers in his room ready to do whatever he wanted. even the most mean and cruel teenage boys would have been knee-deep in ***** for hours, but he didn't even show one inkling of being interested in that. only in what kind of pain and humiliation he could inflict. at least that's how I took it.
Plus, he wanted others to know.

I love how anyone at any time can die. I dig the fantasy genre, I enjoy the medieval era setting, I like the magic/dragons/demons, I appreciate the intrigue, I love the characters but what I passionately love about the writing (book and/or adaptation) is how the saga is story driven and now enslaved to the characters.

Bronn is becoming my favorite character. The dude simply nails the part.
Why does he follow the imp around? I know he stepped in and saved the imp from that other crazy royal boy, but why is he the imp's man slave now?
Because he knows Tyrion is his best route to success. Bronn is a hedge knight, meaning he has no lands or titles. Riding Tyrion has already gotten him leader of the Goldcloaks (in the show; in the book he never held that position).

A man thoroughly enjoyed the exchange between Jaqen and Arya. I always loved how the wrote Jaqen's dialogue and was glad to see that brought over.

Last night's episode felt kind of "cheap" to me, and was probably the first episode of the show that I didn't like. The shadow monster just waltzes in and takes out Renly and suddenly his entire army becomes loyal to their king's murderer? So if Dimitri Medvedev had Pres. Obama killed then suddenly the entire US military would fight for Russia?

If I'm not mistaken Renly's army isn't just some army created with the sole purpose of taking the iron throne. Renly actually ruled over a land similar to how Ned Stark ruled Winterfell. Last I checked, when Ned Stark was killed the entire Northern army didn't suddenly pledge its allegiance to Joffrey, nor would they pledge it to Tywinn Lannister if he took out Robb Stark tomorrow. Surely there is some line of succession down there beyond "oh **** they killed our king let's just all fight for the bad guys instead".

Same story with Danyreus. Her and her tiny band of misfits wander in to the richest guy in the world who has this uber ambition to rule and the money to create an army but is more than happy to just give it to someone else so he can play 2nd fiddle as the ruler's significant other rather than actually ruling himself? Meh. At least this is better than how Stannis gained his uber-army over night but it's still a stretch.

I dunno, I really dislike Deus Ex Machina and this episode seems to have established that it's going to be a very major part of this series. Any character or nation can be at a complete disadvantage or in complete peril and have it completely solved/fixed in an instant via something just contrived out of thin air.

Last night's episode felt kind of "cheap" to me, and was probably the first episode of the show that I didn't like. The shadow monster just waltzes in and takes out Renly and suddenly his entire army becomes loyal to their king's murderer? So if Dimitri Medvedev had Pres. Obama killed then suddenly the entire US military would fight for Russia?If I'm not mistaken Renly's army isn't just some army created with the sole purpose of taking the iron throne. Renly actually ruled over a land similar to how Ned Stark ruled Winterfell. Last I checked, when Ned Stark was killed the entire Northern army didn't suddenly pledge its allegiance to Joffrey, nor would they pledge it to Tywinn Lannister if he took out Robb Stark tomorrow. Surely there is some line of succession down there beyond "oh **** they killed our king let's just all fight for the bad guys instead".Same story with Danyreus. Her and her tiny band of misfits wander in to the richest guy in the world who has this uber ambition to rule and the money to create an army but is more than happy to just give it to someone else so he can play 2nd fiddle as the ruler's significant other rather than actually ruling himself? Meh. At least this is better than how Stannis gained his uber-army over night but it's still a stretch.I dunno, I really dislike Deus Ex Machina and this episode seems to have established that it's going to be a very major part of this series. Any character or nation can be at a complete disadvantage or in complete peril and have it completely solved/fixed in an instant via something just contrived out of thin air.
I'm not sure if you completely understand the mindset of these bannermen.

Last night's episode felt kind of "cheap" to me, and was probably the first episode of the show that I didn't like. The shadow monster just waltzes in and takes out Renly and suddenly his entire army becomes loyal to their king's murderer? So if Dimitri Medvedev had Pres. Obama killed then suddenly the entire US military would fight for Russia?If I'm not mistaken Renly's army isn't just some army created with the sole purpose of taking the iron throne. Renly actually ruled over a land similar to how Ned Stark ruled Winterfell. Last I checked, when Ned Stark was killed the entire Northern army didn't suddenly pledge its allegiance to Joffrey, nor would they pledge it to Tywinn Lannister if he took out Robb Stark tomorrow. Surely there is some line of succession down there beyond "oh **** they killed our king let's just all fight for the bad guys instead".Same story with Danyreus. Her and her tiny band of misfits wander in to the richest guy in the world who has this uber ambition to rule and the money to create an army but is more than happy to just give it to someone else so he can play 2nd fiddle as the ruler's significant other rather than actually ruling himself? Meh. At least this is better than how Stannis gained his uber-army over night but it's still a stretch.I dunno, I really dislike Deus Ex Machina and this episode seems to have established that it's going to be a very major part of this series. Any character or nation can be at a complete disadvantage or in complete peril and have it completely solved/fixed in an instant via something just contrived out of thin air.
No, Renly was the third brother in line for the throne and part of the small council. His lover's family was rich and had a huge army. They obviously flocked to him and others followed. Also his queen was a Martell as well. They are a top family like the Lannisters and Baratheons. When Renly was killed that alliance was shattered. Leaving a lot of smaller lords (bannermen) in the lurch. Stannis was about to land. So instead of dying for a losing cause with no king to speak of, they changed sides. Remember Stannis saying he should have them all hung for treason? That's why he said it. They weren't exactly acting out of honor at that point, but self preservation.

Last night's episode felt kind of "cheap" to me, and was probably the first episode of the show that I didn't like. The shadow monster just waltzes in and takes out Renly and suddenly his entire army becomes loyal to their king's murderer?
They dont know who killed Renly

I'm not sure if you completely understand the mindset of these bannermen.
Simply not enuff show to have all the debates that the bannermen would have,the Tyrells left, taking their people with them.Renley had no heir, and Im sure the stormlands bannermen would join Stannis quiet easily.I thought Brans dream of the water overtaking Winterfell was sweet.

:confused: Did you miss the fact that most of Renly's army believe the maid of Tarth and Catelyn Stark responsible? Someone has to be king...they just lost the guy they promoted...does that mean they should not back a new guy? And the fact that the new guy is the old guy's brother isn't relevant? :rolleyes: These guys HATE the Lannisters...going over to Stannis makes perfect sense. The only lord in Renly's camp who thinks Stannis is behind the murder is the Knight of Flowers. As for Dany....her new suitor has motives which he hasn't made completely clear, but who wouldn't want to be married to a smoking hot princess who has dragons?!

Last edited by a moderator:
:confused: Did you miss the fact that most of Renly's army believe the maid of Tarth and Catelyn Stark responsible? Someone has to be king...they just lost the guy they promoted...does that mean they should not back a new guy? And the fact that the new guy is the old guy's brother isn't relevant? :rolleyes: These guys HATE the Lannisters...going over to Stannis makes perfect sense. The only lord in Renly's camp who thinks Stannis is behind the murder is the Knight of Flowers. As for Dany....her new suitor has motives which he hasn't made completely clear, but who wouldn't want to be married to a smoking hot princess who has dragons?!
yeah these nobles seem to throw around marriage like its nothing. who was the girl that talked to Ser mormont?

Re Renly's bannermen. These bannermen are in it for 1 of 2 things - loyalty (usually to a house or lineage), or to be on the winning side.

From Renly's bannermen, the ones that are in it for lineage would see Stannis as the next logical choice. Same goes for those that want to be on the winning side.

Re Renly's bannermen. These bannermen are in it for 1 of 2 things - loyalty (usually to a house or lineage), or to be on the winning side.From Renly's bannermen, the ones that are in it for lineage would see Stannis as the next logical choice. Same goes for those that want to be on the winning side.
Plus, the majority of Renly's forces were loyal to Tyrell, not Baratheon. Those forces are going to regroup and figure out who to support.

No, Renly was the third brother in line for the throne and part of the small council. His lover's family was rich and had a huge army. They obviously flocked to him and others followed. Also his queen was a Martell as well. They are a top family like the Lannisters and Baratheons. When Renly was killed that alliance was shattered. Leaving a lot of smaller lords (bannermen) in the lurch. Stannis was about to land. So instead of dying for a losing cause with no king to speak of, they changed sides. Remember Stannis saying he should have them all hung for treason? That's why he said it. They weren't exactly acting out of honor at that point, but self preservation.
Plus, the Storm Lands are Baretheon Lands. Renly's bannermen should have technically been those of Stannis as well. They all know Stannis and respect him.

Last night's episode felt kind of "cheap" to me, and was probably the first episode of the show that I didn't like. The shadow monster just waltzes in and takes out Renly and suddenly his entire army becomes loyal to their king's murderer? So if Dimitri Medvedev had Pres. Obama killed then suddenly the entire US military would fight for Russia?
I go back to what Ser Jorah Mormont told Dany last season when discussing the people of Westeros praying for Viserys to return and sit on the Iron Throne. Mormont stated "The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends,” Ser Jorah told her. “It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace.” Obviously this is a huge theme throughout the series but I have no problem believing Renly's bannermen would switch to Stannis' side under the circumstances. Off the top of my head Davos is the only non family member that I can think of that is completely loyal to a high born.

You just need to keep watching. The one thing you can be certain of is that very little in this story is as simple as it seems.

Man I wanted to comment on a certain sentence in that post but could not think of any way of doing so without spoiling. Just keep watching.

Any predictions from non-book readers as to who Arya's other two death choices will be? :popcorn:
:lmao: you can ask us too, at least for the second one. The Tickler was not a target in the book.
We haven't been actually been introduced to either of the two she whispered, have we? So they have to kill someone we've seen and Since Chiswyck actually worked with the Tickler, the Tickler makes sense.
Maybe the question should be: Who would you have chosen and who do you think she should choose next?

Users who are viewing this thread