What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (3 Viewers)

Big fan of Jaquen H'Gar here. A man writes great minor characters.

Quorin Halfhand seems a bit smaller than I thought he'd be, but I like the actor playing him so far.

It's a shame they only get 10 hours a season. They could double it and it still wouldn't be enough.

Big fan of Jaquen H'Gar here. A man writes great minor characters.Quorin Halfhand seems a bit smaller than I thought he'd be, but I like the actor playing him so far.It's a shame they only get 10 hours a season. They could double it and it still wouldn't be enough.
Pretty amazed by the editing/writing. They've got to cover a lot of ground in the most efficient manner possible while keeping it all straight in the viewers head.
I'm wondering what they are going to do with Dany's story arc to keep it fresh/moving. As of last night, they were ready to head back to Westeros, but we know she has a bunch of pitstops, significant ones, still to come.

Good, but not great episode. I wish there had been more time to develop Renly as king, his relationships with the Tyrells and Brienne. Also, a little more build up between The Red Priestess being immune to poison and birthing a shadow assasin would have helped that not feel like such a big jump. Arrya and the actress playing her is just an amazing marriage of a great character and the perfect actress for her. Finally, I am very intrigued with the direction Margery goes.

Clearly I had some misconceptions or more likely ignorance as to what exactly Renly's "banner men" were.To those that explained it all, did you all read the books or did you gather it just from watching the show? I guess there was the one line where Stannis mocked Renly by saying that his men were just a bunch of thieves and traitors, but I don't know how I was supposed to gather all of that from just that line.I think this post that someone else made on another board kind of sums up what I was thinking better than I did. I suppose it's fair to say that it wasn't unexpected that magic would play a role in the series, and I don't mind that at all. I just hope they don't get carried away with it and have every problem be solvable via some previously unmentioned magical act out of thin air.

I am not sure if I like the extent to which magic and fantasy elements make all the mortal machinations a huge waste. Renley's planned mobilization gets a lot of development, and all of a sudden, smokey puts a dagger through his chest. ...What is the use of all the brilliant human scheming if a magical monster can change the course on its head with one thrust?

Big fan of Jaquen H'Gar here. A man writes great minor characters.Quorin Halfhand seems a bit smaller than I thought he'd be, but I like the actor playing him so far.It's a shame they only get 10 hours a season. They could double it and it still wouldn't be enough.
Pretty amazed by the editing/writing. They've got to cover a lot of ground in the most efficient manner possible while keeping it all straight in the viewers head.
I'm wondering what they are going to do with Dany's story arc to keep it fresh/moving. As of last night, they were ready to head back to Westeros, but we know she has a bunch of pitstops, significant ones, still to come.
I watch every episode twice. Partly out of joy, mostly because I have to to keep track of all the storylines. And often there's a subtle comment here and there that I miss the first time around that helps to connect a few dots. I don't ever recall enjoying watching a television program more.

Clearly I had some misconceptions or more likely ignorance as to what exactly Renly's "banner men" were.To those that explained it all, did you all read the books or did you gather it just from watching the show? I guess there was the one line where Stannis mocked Renly by saying that his men were just a bunch of thieves and traitors, but I don't know how I was supposed to gather all of that from just that line.I think this post that someone else made on another board kind of sums up what I was thinking better than I did. I suppose it's fair to say that it wasn't unexpected that magic would play a role in the series, and I don't mind that at all. I just hope they don't get carried away with it and have every problem be solvable via some previously unmentioned magical act out of thin air.

I am not sure if I like the extent to which magic and fantasy elements make all the mortal machinations a huge waste. Renley's planned mobilization gets a lot of development, and all of a sudden, smokey puts a dagger through his chest. ...What is the use of all the brilliant human scheming if a magical monster can change the course on its head with one thrust?
one thing to remember is that magic hasn't worked for a long time in Westeros, so they wouldn't really have been expecting a shadow demon to come in and kill Renly like that. Magical stuff's coming back in small doses here and there during the series, but it's not a part of everyday life.like other people have said the bannermen don't know exactly who killed Renly, and it's not that big of a leap for them to ally with Stannis, since he's Renly's brother and the rightful heir to the Iron Throne.

Good, but not great episode.
Compared to what?
I'm not being glib here. I hear this comment a lot, even from fans of the show. I find it vexing - as I consider this show to be the best show on TV by a mile.
No way it is better than Mad Men and if so not "by a mile".
Look, I love Mad Men. I'd rank it as one of the top 10 best all time TV dramas. You and I don't agree about this, but I think Mad Men's weak this year. I'd even go far as to say that Boardwalk Empire is better than Mad Men...by a mile.

It's worth noting that the magic always comes at a price. It's not like the priestess can conjure up a smoke assassin whenever she likes.

It's worth noting that the magic always comes at a price. It's not like the priestess can conjure up a smoke assassin whenever she likes.
True, but she is a hot red priestess. If she was fat, it would be more difficult for her to bang dudes to father shadow babies.

Compared to what?
I'm not being glib here. I hear this comment a lot, even from fans of the show. I find it vexing - as I consider this show to be the best show on TV by a mile.
No way it is better than Mad Men and if so not "by a mile".
Waaaaaaay. You've been seriously outvoted here.
And as we all know, the consensus is always right. ;)

Compared to what?
The previous 14 episodes of GoT.
If Game of Thrones was Eddard Stark's story, then Clash of Kings belongs to Tyrion. Since he has the most chapters in the book by far, it is light on action. Instead it focuses heavily on the political gamesmanship between Tyrion, Cersei, Tywin, Robb, and Stannis. I'm not sure how entertaining it is on screen, but on the page it is riveting. But if it's twists and action you're looking for, it shouldn't be much longer. There is plenty to come in the final half of Clash of Kings, and Storm of Swords is going to blow minds. Honestly I can't wait to read the reaction threads for the next two seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disclaimer - I have read the books (twice, in fact) and I would say the TV show didn't do a great job fully explaining this. The banner-men (besides the Tyrell's forces) were pledged to the Baratheon family, and were technically supposed to be Stannis' men. Renly had no legitimate claim to the throne (that part was made clear in the show, I thought) because his brother's claim was better as the eldest. The men like Renly better, and so went to him instead when he proclaimed himself as king. So when they switched back, it was really them going back to where they should have pledged in the first place.As to the "problem is just solved with magic", well, this was a political move, not really a magical one. It just used magical means. A well trained assassin could have accomplished the same result (although, not as easy to cast the blame on Lady Stark and Brienne.) Oh, and if this tells anything, I watch Game of Thrones live on HBO. Mad Men is still sitting on my DVR, unwatched. I enjoy Mad Men, but IMO it's not even in the same ball-park as GoT.

Compared to what?
If Game of Thrones was Eddard Stark's story, then Clash of Kings belongs to Tyrion. Since he has the most chapters in the book by far, it is light on action. Instead it focuses heavily on the political gamesmanship between Tyrion, Cersei, Tywin, Robb, and Stannis. I'm not sure how entertaining it is on screen, but on the page it is riveting. But if it's twists and action you're looking for, it shouldn't be much longer. There is plenty to come in the final half of Clash of Kings, and Storm of Swords is going to blow minds. Honestly I can't wait to read the reaction threads for the next two seasons.
The political gamesmanship in S1 and S2 are by far my favorite parts. I am a very interested in history- especially Ancient history and Middle Ages European History so that is what really hooked me on the show. For fantasy, it was exceptionally realistic in it's depiction of the politics of those times. My issue with episode 5 is that I thought some parts of the story moved too fast and could have been fleshed out more on screen. Also, I am still really lukewarm on Quarth which stinks because the Khaleesi might be my favorite character.

one thing to remember is that magic hasn't worked for a long time in Westeros, so they wouldn't really have been expecting a shadow demon to come in and kill Renly like that. Magical stuff's coming back in small doses here and there during the series, but it's not a part of everyday life.like other people have said the bannermen don't know exactly who killed Renly, and it's not that big of a leap for them to ally with Stannis, since he's Renly's brother and the rightful heir to the Iron Throne.
IIRC re: magic, it had worked but it was very weak. The zombies/white walkers are a type of magic, the red priests staring into the flames to see the future another type of magic, etc. It's the return of dragons to the world that have ushered in a new era of magic. I was a bit disappointed when Tyrion was talking to the alchemist about the wildfire that the alchemist didn't point out that it seemed to be burning stronger recently, like back in the days of the dragons, as was said in the book. Unless I'm in error and that admission comes later.

IIRC re: magic, it had worked but it was very weak. The zombies/white walkers are a type of magic, the red priests staring into the flames to see the future another type of magic, etc. It's the return of dragons to the world that have ushered in a new era of magic. I was a bit disappointed when Tyrion was talking to the alchemist about the wildfire that the alchemist didn't point out that it seemed to be burning stronger recently, like back in the days of the dragons, as was said in the book. Unless I'm in error and that admission comes later.
The way I understood it is that white walkers, wargs, giants, gods and dragons etc. (while somewhat magical) are old/extinct species. And the current race of men is what the reader/viewer relates to, so the old creatures and faiths appear to be magic in comparison. Sorcerers and alchemists have taken a back seat to maesters for ages until the recent reemergence of these old ways and creatures.

Compared to what?
I could watch Tyrion eat a turkey leg for an hour.

Disclaimer - I have read the books (twice, in fact) and I would say the TV show didn't do a great job fully explaining this. The banner-men (besides the Tyrell's forces) were pledged to the Baratheon family, and were technically supposed to be Stannis' men. Renly had no legitimate claim to the throne (that part was made clear in the show, I thought) because his brother's claim was better as the eldest. The men like Renly better, and so went to him instead when he proclaimed himself as king. So when they switched back, it was really them going back to where they should have pledged in the first place.
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense.Other than the part about Renly not having a legitimate claim to the throne, I definitely hadn't gathered the rest of that from the show.

Actually, it does come a little later - but it will likely be cut out of the show. The alchemists promise to deliver Tyrion a certain amount of wildfire. When Tyrion checks back in to see how they are progressing on his order he finds out that they are way ahead of schedule. Tyrion warns them that they had better not be lying to him. The alchemist responds by saying that the spells are much stronger than they usually are and bemusedly asks if there are any dragons around.

Actually, it does come a little later - but it will likely be cut out of the show. The alchemists promise to deliver Tyrion a certain amount of wildfire. When Tyrion checks back in to see how they are progressing on his order he finds out that they are way ahead of schedule. Tyrion warns them that they had better not be lying to him. The alchemist responds by saying that the spells are much stronger than they usually are and bemusedly asks if there are any dragons around.
Hi, I'd like to introduce you to the
tag. TIA

Ok I haven't read any books and have watched all the episodes.

Maybe I was tired or not paying attention but I'm confused on the last episode.

Could anyone just give me a quick summary synopsis.

Forgive me, I'm awful with names

I'll just throw out what I think I understand.

So Shadow thing kills Renly ... What happens because of this? Does a big war keep going?

The Black guy is trying to convince The Dragon Princess to overtake the kingdoms?

What was the visit with the potion guy for with Tyrion?

So Robb best friend instantly turns on him and is now going to attack him?

The youngest Stark what were they sending men for?

And finally Jon is going to be sent out as a Ranger - did they really see white Walkers or whatever they are called?

Please only what I can gather from the show not any book insight please. TIA

:bag:

Ok I haven't read any books and have watched all the episodes.Maybe I was tired or not paying attention but I'm confused on the last episode.Could anyone just give me a quick summary synopsis.Forgive me, I'm awful with namesI'll just throw out what I think I understand.So Shadow thing kills Renly ... What happens because of this? Does a big war keep going?The Black guy is trying to convince The Dragon Princess to overtake the kingdoms?What was the visit with the potion guy for with Tyrion?So Robb best friend instantly turns on him and is now going to attack him?The youngest Stark what were they sending men for?And finally Jon is going to be sent out as a Ranger - did they really see white Walkers or whatever they are called?Please only what I can gather from the show not any book insight please. TIA:bag:
Sounds like you need to re-wstch the episode without surfing the web at the same time.

EW.com also has a nice (& funny) recap of each episode where they tell you what you should know at this point in the series.

So Shadow thing kills Renly ... What happens because of this? Does a big war keep going?

The Black guy is trying to convince The Dragon Princess to overtake the kingdoms?

And finally Jon is going to be sent out as a Ranger - did they really see white Walkers or whatever they are called?

Try this

Try this
Thanks. The EW.com that Uruk-Hai posted was perfect. Everything is straight now :)

Try this
Thanks. The EW.com that Uruk-Hai posted was perfect. Everything is straight now :)
I Hippled. :bag:

Try this
I Hippled. :bag:
:lol: Didn't realize it was the same link

tag. TIA
Give me a break - I have used the spoiler tag all throughout this thread. That didn't need a spoiler tag especially considering it was already "spoiled" by the previous post.

tag. TIA
Give me a break - I have used the spoiler tag all throughout this thread. That didn't need a spoiler tag especially considering it was already "spoiled" by the previous post.
My bad, I was half asleep when I made that post. I thought you were referencing book events. :bag:

Ok I haven't read any books and have watched all the episodes.Maybe I was tired or not paying attention but I'm confused on the last episode.Could anyone just give me a quick summary synopsis.Forgive me, I'm awful with namesI'll just throw out what I think I understand.So Shadow thing kills Renly ... What happens because of this? Does a big war keep going?The Black guy is trying to convince The Dragon Princess to overtake the kingdoms?What was the visit with the potion guy for with Tyrion?So Robb best friend instantly turns on him and is now going to attack him?The youngest Stark what were they sending men for?And finally Jon is going to be sent out as a Ranger - did they really see white Walkers or whatever they are called?Please only what I can gather from the show not any book insight please. TIA:bag:
Having watched the first season twice, I recommend repeat viewings. I understood the plot better with the second viewing.

Having watched the first season twice, I recommend repeat viewings. I understood the plot better with the second viewing.
hbogo.com with enhanced viewing is your friend

Users who are viewing this thread