What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your favorite Podcast (1 Viewer)

financial times page asking for subscriptions ...can you be more specific?

Here is the apple description - 

Journalist and bestselling author Michael Lewis (Liar's Poker, Moneyball) takes a searing look at what’s happened to fairness—in financial markets, newsrooms, basketball games, courts of law, and much more. And he asks what’s happening to a world where everyone loves to hate the referee.

--

I listened to the first episode. It was about NBA referees and how - as they have gotten a lot better, their relationship with NBA players - especially star players - has gotten worse.

Was posting in another thread and though to post it here too....

Disgraceland is a great pod about the crazy stories of music stars lives.  Highly recommend 

Still loving the Dollop, but I had to skip the Trump double-episode, and the Eric Prince/Blackwater one was really hard to get through.  It's much easier to listen to those when you can think, "Oh, those primitive people in the 1800s didn't know any better."  Present-day idiocy is pretty hard to stomach.

I'm slowly catching up to them - about 14 months behind at this point.

Oh, Omnibus is good.  It's like The Dollop with much smarter, but slightly less funny guys.
Thanks - I will check this one out.   

I seem to hit a wall with certain podcasts, especially when they start getting popular enough to have a lot of live episodes.  Not sure why that bothers me so much, but it's a reason I have stopped listening to The Dollop a bit, and don't like WDTGM/Doug Loves Movies and others like that.  

I probably pimped this podcast already (MikeDrop with Mike Ritland) but listening to his most recent one and it's solid. http://mikedrop.libsyn.com/034-hamody-jasim

He interviews Hamody Jasim for about 4 hours. Hamody is better known as the Terrorist Whisperer, really good insight into living in Iraq during Gulf War I, after, Operation Iraqi Freedom and now here in the states.

Hamody Jasim has been one of America’s greatest weapons in fighting the terror war against AL Qaeda and ISIS. He is an Iraqi born native who grew up under the devastating oppression of Saddam’s Regime. Hamody went from being a young man, beaten every day, in Saddam’s prison, to being one of the most lethal spies in Iraq – a threat to all the terrorists in the Iraqi war. He saved many Americans’ lives by eliminating high-level Al-Qaeda and Islamic State operatives, and terrorist organizations. In 2003, once the American troops had arrived, Hamody’s impossible dream to enlist in the new Iraqi Army became a reality. He seized the opportunity to help create a new Iraq and go after the terrorists who long plagued Iraq and the rest of the world. In 2005, Hamody was recruited by U.S. Intelligence and became one of the most valuable intelligence assets inside the Iraqi MOD. To date, Hamody still keeps in contact with many of his PSD team members and gets the most accurate information from the battlefield in Iraq and is inspired to share his story with others in hopes of inciting a reason to Conduct successful operations with innovation and intelligence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nearly all of the podcasts under the Wondery label are fantastic.  Exceptionally well written and produced, and almost always riveting.

From history to business to sports to true crime you really can’t go wrong with the a Wondery series.  I think I like Business Wars the best because you get a history lesson along with a business lesson.

Moonrise

It's only 9 weeks in and it explains the space race. Pretty good stuff. I wish I knew how to look for more podcasts that focus on one event or so.

Moonrise

It's only 9 weeks in and it explains the space race. Pretty good stuff. I wish I knew how to look for more podcasts that focus on one event or so.
I've been listening to Moonrise too.  Enjoying it so far.  Lillian Cunningham always does a good job with her podcasts.  

Just finished this one, very good. Mike Ritland & John Nore. :thumbup:

There are many dark elements of our society that we rarely get to see light being shone upon. I sit down with Lt. John Nores of the California Dept. of Fish & Wildlife highlighting the dangerous work he & his teammates have done combatting the environmentally devastating marijuana grow sites in CA. Lots of riveting operational stories in this one. https://www.amazon.com/Hidden-War-Operations-Reclaiming-Wildlands/

Finished this one a while ago but got the book after and just wrapped it up. I'd recommend reading the book first then listening to the podcast if you plan on reading the book but if not the 5 hour podcast is fantastic. Jocko Willink & Sean Parnell Important Lessons of Outlaw Platoon’s Long and Horrific Road. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LC0S7W/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Opie radio is pretty good.  Carl Ruiz is hilarious. 
I am not a fan of Opie on his own. I LOVED the O&A show but separately I don't think they are very good. I never understood the love for Carl I just didnt get it. May Carl RIP he was way to young to go but I think his life style led to his demise. Still sad though he was enjoying himself.

I can't keep up with all these leakers. Which ones are we supposed to like/dislike? Snowden/Manning good, Assange bad?
Depends on who you are voting for this year. Manning was a little #####, Snowden has some valid points, Assange? WTF knows about Assange, I personally think he's nuts.

Trying out the new podcasts from the Weinstein brothers.

The Portal with Eric Weinstein has some interesting guests, but they play out as you would expect any conversation with Eric Weinstein to go. Keep your dictionary handy, brace yourself for the many claims that some obscure mathematical theory is the most important thing in the universe, and pray that his friends finally get it through to him that he's terrible at explaining things. Still interesting, though.

DarkHorse Podcast with Bret Weinstein is likewise just as you would expect from Bret: fascinating, coherent, and insightful. I like this one better of the two for sure, although they're both still in their infancy.

Trying out the new podcasts from the Weinstein brothers.

The Portal with Eric Weinstein has some interesting guests, but they play out as you would expect any conversation with Eric Weinstein to go. Keep your dictionary handy, brace yourself for the many claims that some obscure mathematical theory is the most important thing in the universe, and pray that his friends finally get it through to him that he's terrible at explaining things. Still interesting, though.

DarkHorse Podcast with Bret Weinstein is likewise just as you would expect from Bret: fascinating, coherent, and insightful. I like this one better of the two for sure, although they're both still in their infancy.
SMOO!!!!

I caught Eric on Rogan and it was really good. Started listening to the Portal and per above, I need to rewind a lot to pick up what he's putting down. A very interesting man with some good guests discussing topics I would never look into where it not for the podcast. didn't realize he had a brother, with have to give DarkHorse a shot :thumbup:

SMOO!!!!

I caught Eric on Rogan and it was really good. Started listening to the Portal and per above, I need to rewind a lot to pick up what he's putting down. A very interesting man with some good guests discussing topics I would never look into where it not for the podcast. didn't realize he had a brother, with have to give DarkHorse a shot :thumbup:
If you liked Eric on Rogan, you should try Bret as well.

JRE #970: Bret Weinstein. Talking about the fiasco at Evergreen which thrust him into the limelight.

JRE #1006: Jordan Peterson & Bret Weinstein. Fascinating conversation about all things intellectual.

JRE #1055: Bret Weinstein. Can't remember what this one was about, but I'm sure it was great.

JRE #1081: Bret Weinstein & Heather Heying. Bret and his wife taking a deep dive into evolutionary biology. Very good.

Just ran across this eight part podcast, fascinating stuff.

Dr Ruja Ignatova persuaded millions to join her financial revolution. Then she disappeared. Why? Jamie Bartlett presents a story of greed, deceit and herd madness. She was the founder of OneCoin, a crypto currency that never was but bilked investors to the tune of $15.5 billion euros

The Missing Cryptoqueen

anyone listened to the Matt Taibbi and Katie Halper podcast "Useful Idiots" yet?  

I don't know who the hell she is - but I'm a big fan of Taibbi's stuff.  

What do you guys like for true crime stuff? My wife powered through My Favorite Murder and Serial and is on another one she's not so keen about. I only get to listen to 2-3 or so per week (usually sports or comedy type) so I'm not hip to a lot of them. TIA.

What do you guys like for true crime stuff? My wife powered through My Favorite Murder and Serial and is on another one she's not so keen about. I only get to listen to 2-3 or so per week (usually sports or comedy type) so I'm not hip to a lot of them. TIA.
There’s a guy named Payne Lindsay. He did a podcast about a small town murder that eventually was solved, then he did one about the Atlanta Child Murders. He’s pretentious as ####, but the content is good. 

Yeah Up and Vanished and the other is Atlanta Monster I think. 
Thanks. She just discovered podcasts this year but loves the true crime stuff. I'll let her know

My podcast player suggested The Lighthouse...a relatively new Australian pod about a guy from Brussels who disappeared on the Australian coast earlier this year. I may start that one.

Thanks. She just discovered podcasts this year but loves the true crime stuff. I'll let her know

My podcast player suggested The Lighthouse...a relatively new Australian pod about a guy from Brussels who disappeared on the Australian coast earlier this year. I may start that one.
I work from home, so I probably passively listen to 3-4 hours of podcasts each day.  I haven’t listened to any actual AM/FM radio in probably 5 years. 

Foreign Policy has one out, hosted by Character Actress Margo Martindale, called I Spy. Real spies telling a story each week. Fun listen - I thought the first one was good but the second and third ones were better, more human. New episode every week.

Foreign Policy has one out, hosted by Character Actress Margo Martindale, called I Spy. Real spies telling a story each week. Fun listen - I thought the first one was good but the second and third ones were better, more human. New episode every week.
😯

Sword and Scale is probably my favorite of the true crime genre. Court Junkie, True Crime all the Time, True Crime Garage, and The Minds of Madness are all pretty good too. 

Just ran across this eight part podcast, fascinating stuff.

Dr Ruja Ignatova persuaded millions to join her financial revolution. Then she disappeared. Why? Jamie Bartlett presents a story of greed, deceit and herd madness. She was the founder of OneCoin, a crypto currency that never was but bilked investors to the tune of $15.5 billion euros

The Missing Cryptoqueen
Thank you for this suggestion. I went through all eight and the first thing I did was buy $5,000 worth of OneCoin. I am confident I got in at the right time.

Thank you for this suggestion. I went through all eight and the first thing I did was buy $5,000 worth of OneCoin. I am confident I got in at the right time.
Pfft, so last year. Dagcoin is where it’s at now brother. How much can I put down for?

PS - This is why OneCoin and now Dagcoin are so dangerous, there is no use of a blockchain so no real record of where the real tangible money goes when you purchase ‘coins’. Also allows for the transaction to be tampered with.

Pfft, so last year. Dagcoin is where it’s at now brother. How much can I put down for?

PS - This is why OneCoin and now Dagcoin are so dangerous, there is no use of a blockchain so no real record of where the real tangible money goes when you purchase ‘coins’. Also allows for the transaction to be tampered with.
HATER!

Users who are viewing this thread