What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your favorite Podcast (1 Viewer)

Hi I have to drive a very boring 3 hour car trip here soon. Could someone recommend a podcast that I could listen to for the duration of this drive? Something that will keep me awake and engaged for the whole trip. Thank you.

Nothing too over the top, I will be driving. No explosions or sirens or stuff.
If you're interested on a take on the Russian-Ukranian conflict you probably won't hear on the main stream anywhere, right at 3 hours. Jocko Unraveling Podcast episode 32 w/Scott Horton

https://listen.stitcher.com/yvap/?af_dp=stitcher://episode/201375769&af_web_dp=https://www.stitcher.com/episode/201375769

Hi I have to drive a very boring 3 hour car trip here soon. Could someone recommend a podcast that I could listen to for the duration of this drive? Something that will keep me awake and engaged for the whole trip. Thank you.

The Dollop.  There's nothing serial about them, so just pick some episodes that sound interesting.  The one about The Rube (episode 12) is probably their best.

I like Smartless with Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes, and Wil Arnett.  It's been entertaining with good guests.  
I just discovered this last week and binged a ton of episodes.   Loved the Ricky Gervais episode, and these guys bagging on each other is entertaining. 

Some of my go-tos: 

The Cine-Files, The Rewatchables, Hardcore History, Revisionist History, and Radiolab. 

The Dollop.  There's nothing serial about them, so just pick some episodes that sound interesting.  The one about The Rube (episode 12) is probably their best.
The Dollup is great. My only beef is the volume is pretty low UNTIL the one comedian decides to shout his jokes. Not fun for those of us with hearing damage. 

Tried a search but came up empty. Wife and I have a long road trip this summer - about 18 hours one way. Looking for a podcast and thought about listening to a podcast on the TV show Lost that we could binge. We were big fans of the show back in the day and I thought it might be a nice trip down memory lane.  Lots of options on Apple Podcasts but do not want to waste my time with something that is not good.

Anyone ventured down that path and have a recommendation? Thanks! 

Rockonteurs is fantastic for music lovers and Curious Creatures is pretty good too (maybe more goth for Curious Creatures). I also love Chris Difford's (from Squeeze) I Never Thought It Would Happen To Me podcast. 

can't quote anything on this page for whatever reason

agree about Fly on the Wall. grew on me, too. the talking over each other and making the podcast almost entirely about them for the first couple episodes was annoying but it gets better.

also recommend skipping Drew Barrymore since she basically filibusters the whole episode and it's just not interesting.

I stumbled across “The Rest is History” after Dan Carlin tweeted a 2 episode interview he did.  It’s hosted by British historians Tom Holland and Dominic Sandbrook.  The episodes are 30-40 minutes.  I’ve been enjoying it so far. 

I stumbled across “The Rest is History” after Dan Carlin tweeted a 2 episode interview he did.  It’s hosted by British historians Tom Holland and Dominic Sandbrook.  The episodes are 30-40 minutes.  I’ve been enjoying it so far. 
I liked the Carlin episodes too. I’ve been meaning to circle back to them but I have a huge podcast backlog. 

Been enjoying Smartless with will Arnett and Jason Bateman. Also listening to the archives for Andy Richter's Three Questions podcast which is really great. 

Sorry if I've already stalked y'all about this, but Andy Daly's Bonanas For Bonanza is hilarious. Also stars Matt Gourley and Maria Bamford with really excellent guests. The premise is these two cowboys are going to produce a podcast episode for all 400 episodes of the greatest TV show ever made: Bonanza.

agree about Fly on the Wall. grew on me, too. the talking over each other and making the podcast almost entirely about them for the first couple episodes was annoying but it gets better.

also recommend skipping Drew Barrymore since she basically filibusters the whole episode and it's just not interesting.

I'm a Dennis Miller mark, but that whole episode is gold just for Carvey and Spade impersonating Miller through the whole thing.  Also their brief Norm MacDonald appreciation.  Wish that had gone on for an hour or more.

I like Smartless with Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes, and Wil Arnett.  It's been entertaining with good guests.  
I used to rotate amongst Conan O’Brien Needs A Friend, Here’s The Thing with Alec Baldwin, Revisionist History with Malcolm Gladwell and Broken Record with Rick Rubin et al.Now I seem to be stuck on Smartless. I love their banter and I usually laugh out loud numerous times each episode.

I listened to Literally with Rob Lowe briefly. But I tired quickly of Lowe’s big ego.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just discovered this last week and binged a ton of episodes.   Loved the Ricky Gervais episode, and these guys bagging on each other is entertaining

Oh wow, I really like all the people mentioned here.  This seems like something I would enjoy listening to.  How do I go about hearing this program?  Is there somewhere I can listen free or is there an app I need to bye-eeeeee! 

Sorry if I've already stalked y'all about this, but Andy Daly's Bonanas For Bonanza is hilarious. Also stars Matt Gourley and Maria Bamford with really excellent guests. The premise is these two cowboys are going to produce a podcast episode for all 400 episodes of the greatest TV show ever made: Bonanza.
I'm a huge Maria Bamford fan, and the crazy description of this podcast sounds right up by alley. It's on Spotify so I'll check it out. But for some reason they don't have the first two episodes.

I used to rotate amongst Conan O’Brien Needs A Friend, Here’s The Thing with Alec Baldwin, Revisionist History with Malcolm Gladwell and Broken Record with Rick Rubin et al.Now I seem to be stuck on Smartless. I love their banter and I usually laugh out loud numerous times each episode.

I listened to Literally with Rob Lowe briefly. But I tired quickly of Lowe’s big ego.
Lowe is good when he has a guest he has some chemistry and history with, otherwise it’s pretty bad. I loved the Conan podcast for the first couple years, but it’s gotten really stale IMO. Smartless is another guest-dependent podcast, I think, but I’ll regularly check in with them as well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a huge Maria Bamford fan, and the crazy description of this podcast sounds right up by alley. It's on Spotify so I'll check it out. But for some reason they don't have the first two episodes.
Some of the episodes might be behind a paywall. I subscribed for $7 a month, because those Earwolf shows have given me more joy than I can measure. Bamford is HILARIOUS on the show. Highly recommended. 

Coverville : A music show of all covers. They pick one or two artists every week. It's been on a long time so it's easy to find someone you like 

Lore : Really well researched historical fiction and nonfiction stories with a creepy vibe 

The Edge: Investigative story about the Astros cheating scandal

Murder Book: Micheal Connelly true crime about one murderer/ case. Season one was really good. 

I Spy: Kind of a tell all from a spy's perspective 

There was one about the DC Sniper story that was really, really good. But I don't remember the name of it. Pretty sure it was recommended by some people here. 

Some of the episodes might be behind a paywall. I subscribed for $7 a month, because those Earwolf shows have given me more joy than I can measure. Bamford is HILARIOUS on the show. Highly recommended. 
After listening to episode 3, I learned that episode 1 was (I believe) part of that podcast project and episode 2 was done live.  So episode 3 is the first available (at least on Spotify).  It is very good, I find myself :lmao:

Dana Carvey is obviously a sweet guy, but he's not very good at this, and his insecurities show through. 

It's not super annoying because he's just a nice guy. I don't think he's done anything like this before? I may be wrong. 

At my wife’s suggestion I listened to Conan’s episode with Bill Burr today on my commute.  Oh man, riding my bike through a park on my way home I was laughing out loud for the last ten minutes of it. I don’t usually do comedy podcasts but those two are hilarious together. 

Did this get turned into an animated show?
Far as I know it was just a live action one on Amazon. Only watched a couple of times and didn't like the interpretations. He also has a similar, less creepy podcast called Cabinet of Curiosities. 

He spells out the list of his ventures at the end of each show, but I bail right at that point. 

I'm a Dennis Miller mark, but that whole episode is gold just for Carvey and Spade impersonating Miller through the whole thing.  Also their brief Norm MacDonald appreciation.  Wish that had gone on for an hour or more.
caught this one today. Miller was never really my bag, but he came off more entertaining than i expected.

wish they did more with Downey, too.  maybe part 2's on some of these even.

Couple newer ones (to me) that I have been enjoying and specifically thought of gb @Ilov80s

Movie Crush -  basically a celeb of some sort comes in and talks movies in general, but also focus on one they love.  Ie - my first one that I listened to was Paul Scheer talking about Beverly Hills Cop.  

Sticky Notes - classical music podcast that largely will talk about and disect one piece each episode.  

History on Fire is leaving Luminary and will be free on its own feed now.  
Good to hear. I've always like Daniele but the heavy accent was tough to get through and when he went pay to play, was a good enough reason to bounce.

Just started listening to Shawn Ryan. He's a terrible, monotone podcaster but his guests have been interesting and he lets them do most of the talking so its not too bad to listen to. I just finished up his interview with Rob O'Neill and it was pretty damn good. If you listen to these kind of podcasts, you've probably heard Rob's story a number of times but this has been the best retelling of it that I can remember and I've heard them all & read his book. Give it a listen if you're so inclined.

O'Neill is a ##### on Twitter but none of that really comes through in this podcast. He just talks about his missions and it's really pretty good.

I've listened to a few... Carvey's great, Spade's there.

The Moth (podcast)

Moth stories are true, as remembered by the storyteller and always told live.

Since its launch in 1997, The Moth has presented thousands of true stories, told live and without notes, to standing-room-only crowds worldwide. Moth storytellers stand alone, under a spotlight, with only a microphone and a roomful of strangers. The storyteller and the audience embark on a high-wire act of shared experience which is both terrifying and exhilarating.

Since 2008, The Moth podcast has featured many of our favorite stories told live on Moth stages around the country. For information on all of our programs and live events, visit themoth.org.

warning: seriously addictive 

KarmaPolice said:
Couple newer ones (to me) that I have been enjoying and specifically thought of gb @Ilov80s

Movie Crush -  basically a celeb of some sort comes in and talks movies in general, but also focus on one they love.  Ie - my first one that I listened to was Paul Scheer talking about Beverly Hills Cop.  

Sticky Notes - classical music podcast that largely will talk about and disect one piece each episode.  
Been listening to more of the first one and I am really digging this now.    There was one with Christopher Walken talking about Footloose that was just bizarre and a bit uncomfortable.   Digging through the old one they had a running series on Kubrick movies - I listened to a couple and they were really good.  

Another movie podcast I stumbled on yesterday:  The Villain was Right.  

The concept is probably obvious - funny pod trying to look at movies from the supposed "villains" and picking them apart a bit.   Pretty funny after a few episodes, and not super serious.   I found it as I looked on Spotify for a Mrs. Doubtfire podcast after my recent rewatch out of curiosity if any were talking about what a POS the dad was.   Spoiler - they definitely do.  

Listened to a few others as well - Jurassic Park, Revenge of the Nerds, Ghostbusters and Ferris Bueller.  

I got caught in a storm and my phone got too wet and died, and I hadn't backed up in 3 years, so I'm rebuilding my podcast list.  Maybe I'll try a full new set based on recommendations here.

Fake Doctors Real friends.  Zach Braff and Donald Faison.  They actually recap each episode of Scrubs with guests that were on the show and the creator who is also a huge part of Ted Lasso (Bill Lawrence).

Another movie podcast I stumbled on yesterday:  The Villain was Right.  

The concept is probably obvious - funny pod trying to look at movies from the supposed "villains" and picking them apart a bit.   Pretty funny after a few episodes, and not super serious.   I found it as I looked on Spotify for a Mrs. Doubtfire podcast after my recent rewatch out of curiosity if any were talking about what a POS the dad was.   Spoiler - they definitely do.  

Listened to a few others as well - Jurassic Park, Revenge of the Nerds, Ghostbusters and Ferris Bueller.  
Listened to parts of a couple (Bridesmaids and Karate Kid) and I wasn't impressed.  Maybe it grows on you but so far not that great.

Listened to parts of a couple (Bridesmaids and Karate Kid) and I wasn't impressed.  Maybe it grows on you but so far not that great.
Like anything else, some are better than others.   I liked the Mrs. Doubtfire, Top Gun, and Revenge of the Nerds best so far.  

The concept works best if there are more clear "protagonists" who are pretty ####ty people when you think about it.  

Users who are viewing this thread