Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GStrot

Ran a 10k in June

54,340 posts in this topic

Just a quick update on my race. I majorly Sanded it! Ended up having to do virtually the whole ride solo. They had more than 1,000 riders more than expected (likely due to perfect conditions) which created a cluster at registration. I got my packet at :20 til the advertised start time after waiting more than :25 to get my packet. The line was twice as long as when I got there when I left to get my bike and go to the start time. I kept riding toward the start and couldnt find it only to learn the decided to let people start as they arrived to the starting line. I thought oh crap and decded I wanted to catch those bastards.I'll give full details later, but I was averaging 24 mph through the first 10 miles without finding anybody's wheel to assist. I never got even close to the leaders as I learned they started :30 ahead of me. Did virtually the rest all by myself and was ecstatic to average 21.0 MPH for the 75 mile course.

Congrats pigskin. That's a seriously insane solo pace.

5K- 22:46 ETA: My goal for my 5K next week was to be in the 22nd minute on the watch. It looks like I may be able to do it. The course yesterday was flat and next week I know there are some inclines. 1st mile- 8:012nd mile- 7:263rd mile- 6:53last .1- :24In my heat, I came in second to my BIL by 10 seconds. He is 6'2 so Ill account for his longer strides (its my short person rationalization). I won the weight loss and as of yesterday, did the most push ups.Thanks again guys. Im hoping I have the same type of effort on Saturday for my next 5K.

Nothing at all wrong with a 22:xx. Great run. You need to speed up that first mile, though. You bleeding huge amounts of time by not going out harder. By the time you speed up you aren't able to empty the tank and certainly left a lot out there.Oh, and the "long stride" rationalization doesn't work. The fastest guys out there tend to be small. Most importantly, they tend to be light. Lose another 10 lbs. and you crush him.
First off congrats on the weight loss! That's awesome! Second - Sand is spot on. Go out in a 7:20ish pace and you'll run a much better race. Add in the race atmosphere and you'll probably crush that 22:46. :thumbup:
I dont know. I feel like every time I get out under 8 in the first mile, I never hold strong. Maybe Ill try it this weekend. Thanks for thoughts guys

Great racing guys. You guys did some great work out there this weekend.

Also some good training runs. Much better than me as I took the weekend off. Not intentionally, but I had one of those weekends where more and more things kept piling up to do and I ran out of time. I did manange to probably put in about 5 miles shopping on Saturday. Not mile ideal time on my feet, but not much I could do about it. Trying to make up some miles today that I missed yesterday, so this week should hopefully be a bit mileage week for me.

Have a great day all.

I want to thank all the regulars (and non regulars) in this thread for making this easier for me. Like I said before, I dont always chime in but am always reading.Quick breakdown of my run/race yesterday (I forgot to put it down on calendar since I wasnt sure when it would be)On New Years day, my BIL said he was doing a weight loss competition with his buddies from college. Being severely overweight, I asked if he thought I could get in. He talks to the powers that be and Im in. So on January 3rd we get weighed in and I am 209. At barely 5'6 this probably puts me into an obese category. Anyway, my first month I decide to do Insanity. Knowing I didnt like the second month, I decided to get back into running. Stopped immediately after the 2007 NYC marathon. With the help from all you guys in here, I started learning about the science of running and it improved my efficiency tremendously. Like most fat guys, I started slow but really started to enjoy it and started getting faster. So here was my final tallys from yesterdays finale that included sit ups and push ups in a minute as well as a 5KPush Ups- 90Sit Ups- 51 Weight loss- 30 pounds5K- 22:46 ETA: Avg HR- 175, Max- 192My goal for my 5K next week was to be in the 22nd minute on the watch. It looks like I may be able to do it. The course yesterday was flat and next week I know there are some inclines. 1st mile- 8:012nd mile- 7:263rd mile- 6:53last .1- :24In my heat, I came in second to my BIL by 10 seconds. He is 6'2 so Ill account for his longer strides (its my short person rationalization). I won the weight loss and as of yesterday, did the most push ups.Thanks again guys. Im hoping I have the same type of effort on Saturday for my next 5K.

:thumbup:

10k race report431 entrantsWas nice and chilly, great day to run, rain had stopped.Goal was to just finish without having to stop or walk.Start line was wide, about 50' within 1 min it shrunk to 7' and we were all shoulder to shoulder. After about 1mile it started to thin out, but still had to position to get some good space.Felt good all the way through, took it all in enjoyed the scenery.Around mile 4.3ish, i got a bit cocky as i was gazelling in and out of positionand I started to feel it at the 5mi marker. I think I wore myself out a bit, but just kept up a good steady pace and kept hammering along. 5.3ish, i took a water cup and splashed it on my face to alert myself and to be able to wet my hair for the finish line photos.Wrapped up at the finish line to a good size crowd. My cousin ran with me, his family was there. They cheered me on as well. Was a good feeling.Goal for 2012 was to run a 10k.Ned has me on a schedule for a HM in May :shock:

Stats1 9:45.9 1.00 9:462 8:57.4 1.00 8:573 8:57.8 1.00 8:584 8:18.8 1.00 8:195 8:36.6 1.00 8:376 8:39.0 1.00 8:397 1:38.5 0.23 7:11Summary 54:53.9 6.23 8:49

10k race report

431 entrants

Was nice and chilly, great day to run, rain had stopped.

Goal was to just finish without having to stop or walk.

Start line was wide, about 50' within 1 min it shrunk to 7' and we were all shoulder to shoulder. After about 1mile it started to thin out, but still had to position to get some good space.

Felt good all the way through, took it all in enjoyed the scenery.

Around mile 4.3ish, i got a bit cocky as i was gazelling in and out of positionand I started to feel it at the 5mi marker. I think I wore myself out a bit, but just kept up a good steady pace and kept hammering along. 5.3ish, i took a water cup and splashed it on my face to alert myself and to be able to wet my hair for the finish line photos.

Wrapped up at the finish line to a good size crowd. My cousin ran with me, his family was there. They cheered me on as well. Was a good feeling.

Goal for 2012 was to run a 10k.

Ned has me on a schedule for a HM in May :shock:

Stats

1 9:45.9 1.00 9:46

2 8:57.4 1.00 8:57

3 8:57.8 1.00 8:58

4 8:18.8 1.00 8:19

5 8:36.6 1.00 8:37

6 8:39.0 1.00 8:39

7 1:38.5 0.23 7:11

Summary 54:53.9 6.23 8:49

You're transforming so quickly. I'm having a lot of fun watching you grow.

Don't you put the bolded on me. That's all you, buddy!

10k race report

431 entrants

Start line was wide, about 50' within 1 min it shrunk to 7' and we were all shoulder to shoulder. After about 1mile it started to thin out, but still had to position to get some good space.

Around mile 4.3ish, i got a bit cocky as i was gazelling in and out of positionand I started to feel it at the 5mi marker. I think I wore myself out a bit, but just kept up a good steady pace and kept hammering along. 5.3ish, i took a water cup and splashed it on my face to alert myself and to be able to wet my hair for the finish line photos.

Wrapped up at the finish line to a good size crowd. My cousin ran with me, his family was there. They cheered me on as well. Was a good feeling.

Stats

You're transforming so quickly. I'm having a lot of fun watching you grow.

Don't you put the bolded on me. That's all you, buddy!

This is true.

10k race report

431 entrants

Stats

I like your style :thumbup:

Capped off a decent week of training with an 8 mile run Saturday morning. Felt pretty strong. Then proceeded to spend the rest of my day working on an in ground sprinkler system at my house. Holy hell I got sore. IT basically was a 7 hour lunge session, I'm still feeling it.

Got my 5K Thursday night. I feel like its a prime time football game, but of the early season MAC variety. :football:

I feel like a total slacker, only getting 15-25 miles a week in now. I got to step it back up.

So Im looking to sign up for some more races and came across the Rock n Roll marathon series. Anyone run one of these before. You can get a pass for $299 and run as many as you want up to 12 of them.

Figure I can do Philly, Providence and NYC at the minimum

http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/tourpass

ETA: Is this the thing you guys did in Nawlins earlier this month

It basically was a 7 hour lunge session, I'm still feeling it.

:softball:

:thumbup: !!!

comfortably numb - splashing water on your face to enhance the finish line photos? Yeah, you're fitting right in here. :yes:

Foot feeling pretty good today.

Between my own thinking of what I have been doing maybe differently the last 2 longer runs and anything I could come up with and talking to the doc...I may have been lacing up a bit too tight for my longer runs. I know I had em pretty tight for the half...not totally sure about this weekend.

But he gave me the green light to keep running unless its really hurting bad or starts swelling and go by my own feel...so no worries.

Have a fun workout today...

-mile warm up

-2 X 1 mile at 10k

-2 X 1 mile at 5k

-2 X .5 miles < 5k

-mile cool down

All with a bit of recovery jogging in between...

So Im looking to sign up for some more races and came across the Rock n Roll marathon series. Anyone run one of these before. You can get a pass for $299 and run as many as you want up to 12 of them.

Figure I can do Philly, Providence and NYC at the minimum

http://runrocknroll....or.com/tourpass

ETA: Is this the thing you guys did in Nawlins earlier this month

Going back a bit in the notebook, didn't Roaran Sonoaran (sp?) do the entire RNR Series for some kind of additional medal?

Acer - Only thing that I have heard about some of the RNR races (others can chime in as well) is that they are not organized very well. I can'r remember who it was that did the Las Vegas one, but it was not a good experience.

------------

Just got done with 10 pennance miles. Good run and legs are feeling good still. May get out and do more tonight, but doubt it. I need to get some rest as I have 10 miles with repeats tomorrow.

I may have been lacing up a bit too tight for my longer runs. I know I had em pretty tight for the half...not totally sure about this weekend.

I have induced some serious foot pain from this on occasion. Right on top of the foot. Hurts like a #####, but you just don't think it can be from something as simple as shoelaces.

Really busy day (week, really) at work, but I just wanted to pop in and congratulate Prince Myshkin, Acer, bentley, prosopis, comfortably numb, and liquors on your races and the rest of you on some awesome workouts. :thumbup:

Acer - I've done RNR Chicago and RNR Arizona; people have mixed feelings about Competitor Group, but my experiences have generally been pretty positive. My general opinion is that the RNR events are overpriced, but I've never heard of the "tour pass" thing. That's pretty cool. And yeah, 2Young, they have additional medals for people who do multiple events in the series.

Personally, just starting the first week of my taper, so I'll be a little lighter on the mileage this week. One relatively easy track workout, one MLR in the 10- to 12-mile range, and 16-17 for the long run, possibly including a half marathon run at GMPish.

Have a great week, everybody!

Acer - Only thing that I have heard about some of the RNR races (others can chime in as well) is that they are not organized very well. I can'r remember who it was that did the Las Vegas one, but it was not a good experience.

Vegas seems to be the exception (and a really bad one - I heard horrible things about that one). I just did New Orleans and it was well done.

Vegas seems to be the exception (and a really bad one - I heard horrible things about that one). I just did New Orleans and it was well done.
Agreed. I did NOLA too. Everything was very well organized, from the corral starting lines to the expo. It is overpriced, but you also get live music every mile or so, which is a nice treat. A "tour pass" seems like a pretty cool idea, if you're down for traveling.

Bentley: I like your pre-race diet. It sounds similar to mine. I can't fathom a race having better "scenery". Can't wait to see additional pic's!

Acer: Awesome to hear about the weight loss and 5k. Please do not doubt "Sanding" and 2Young already owns the short being a disability shtick in this thread.

Ned: Too cool to hear you say "fantastic 20" and "easy 6" in a post. Oh how far you've come :thumbup:

Prosopsis: Great half! Can't wait to see pic's. Glad you got the van back together!

Prince and Comfortably Numb: GREAT races!!

JB: Tri-man calls 7 hours of lunges breakfast. ;)

Sho-Nuff: That workout looks darn fun!

Grue: Happy Taper!

My update: I was Damn jealous watching people do bricks after yesterday's race/ride so I decided to run the approximate two thirds of a mile to the Rec Center for my elliptical workout today. I did it in 4:48 on the way there; did 7 elliptical miles; and ran back in 5:01. Seems to have had no negative effect!

Yeah, Vegas is a cluster####. Make no mistake about it; Competitor is definitely out to make money. They've turned a lot of good, small races into money-making machines. Probably not the best venues for hard-core racers.

I may have been lacing up a bit too tight for my longer runs. I know I had em pretty tight for the half...not totally sure about this weekend.

I have induced some serious foot pain from this on occasion. Right on top of the foot. Hurts like a #####, but you just don't think it can be from something as simple as shoelaces.
Yeah...this is sort of on top moving towards the outside of the foot a little.I remember some talk here on lacing too tight and starting thinking it may very well be whats up.

Yeah...this is sort of on top moving towards the outside of the foot a little.

I remember some talk here on lacing too tight and starting thinking it may very well be whats up.

I trashed the tops of both feet with the way a pair of Asicis laced and tied. This is what got me to switch to Brooks. Since switching and going with quick laces like Yankz I haven't had any further issues btw, there are cheap Yankz knock offs on eBay that can be bought in bulk. I usually get a 1/2 dozen at a time for myself & the kids.

Bluebonnet Express 75 mile Bike Ride/Race Report:

Events leading up to the Sunday race:

Friday: Started Happy Hour at 1:00 with a "friend"; set-up for a BBQ cookoff; took friend to dinner then took her back to BBQ area. Drank there while tending the pit 'til 2:00 am; took her home; got back to my place at 4:00 am; got up at 6:30 to get back to BBQ cook-off to help wrap briskits. Had donuts, coffee and rum for breakfast; cooked all day while sipping more rum (our BBQ team's name is "Pirates of the Pit"); watched friends win the freakin' cook-off; went with friends to our pool to drink/celebrate; went with a friend to "borrow" a fireman friend's truck; drove truck with lights and siren on around the neighborhood and got most of our neighbors to the pool wondering what the hell was going on; and got home at 9:00 pm to get everything ready for my Sunday race. I was in bed at 9:45, and asleep by 9:46, having had less than 3 hours sleep the previous day.

Getting Ready, Morning of the Race

Alarm went off at 5:30, and it felt like I had just went to bed. I went straight to the coffee to get things "moving" and ate a Clif Bar. Had a pretty good BM, then showered to get rid of the smokey smell from cooking all day. I was on the road by 6:10 and arrived at the race sight approx. 7:00.

Upon arrival, I realized it was PERFECT conditions. It was 68 degrees, with winds from 3-5 MPH.

The 75 milers were scheduled to start at 8:00 so I figured I had plenty of time to get to the start (man was I wrong!). I got my bike ready, downed the last of my pre-race Gatorade, took the first of 3 pre-race pee's, and got to the line to register for the race. Holy #### the lines were long. I finally got my packet at 7:40 (lines were twice as long after I had my packet = some people were picking up packets until 8:30!!); went pee; decided not to try for a second BM; went and got my bike; posted "Go Time" on Facebook; went pee again; and headed toward the starting line at 7:55'ish. I was shocked I wasn't hearing any announcements, and was determined to force my way to the very start of the line to avoid missing any early breakaways. I kept riding and riding along the directional arrows, only to find out that there appeared to be NO start line or people at it.

GO TIME had started without me :unsure:

The Race: Part I = Sanding Time & a ##### Bag!!

I had no clue where the start line was supposed to have been, or what time people had left. I likely went a full mile+ past the start line before knowing the race had started = my Garmin certainly wasn't started at the very start. Garmin turned on at 7:59 AM.

What I did know was that if I had ANY chance to catch those who had left, I'd better get my ### going. I typically expect to burn a couple matches early jockeying for position anyway so I felt a prolonged somewhat hard effort might not kill my day.

Approximately half a mile into when I started the Garmin, I ran into loooooooong lines of riders. They were strung along for God knows how long, traveling what appeared to be about 20.0 MPH for the most part. I knew I wasn't catching the leaders at 20.0, and felt I needed a 24.0 MPH effort or better to even have a prayer of sniffing the lead. With no wind and an extremely flat start to the course I clipped off the following starting miles and HR's:

1) 23.4 MPH 147 BPM (took me awhile to realize I needed to hammer it)

2) 23.0 MPH 154 BPM (included a stop light)

3) 24.8 and 162

4) 24.6 and 167

5) 24.7 and 168

6) 25.7 and 169

7) 24.4 and 168

8) 24.0 and 171 (roh, roh = getting toward danger)

At this point I was praying for a group to come up behind me. I felt I could keep this pace for another mile or two at max or I'd be screwed.

I also noticed that my Camel Back was dripping water off the spicket and I was losing precious water by the second :unsure:

9) 25.6 and 169 (worked damn hard to catch a small group; drafted briefly; they were going 22.0 = f-that; on my own again)

10) 23.2 and 167

About half way through mile 10, while starting to struggle, a tri-bike appeared in my rear mirror. I slowed to let him pass my and grabbed his wheel. We traded pulls for the next 1.5 miles,

11) 23.2 and 152

12) 22.7 and 137 BPM :excited: (I felt my ride was saved as I was confident I could ride all day with him)

While I was pulling during mile 13, and passing a group of about 12, the #####-bag jumped onto the back of their pace line. F-that. I plundered ahead back on my own.

My feeling at this point was that I had just completed a hard 5k, and it was now time to settle in for a hard 3 hour run.

Race Part: II = Rejects and Wusses and No Heroes

I now realized the very small groups of people I was catching up to were the rejects off the back of the leaders pace line that was certainly not reachable at this point. These wusses were struggling along at 19 MPH or slower and the last thing I wanted was to pull their asses around all day. I still believed that a fast group had to be forming behind me, and that we could still chase down the peloton with the right help. I continuously looked in my little rear view mirror, only to see the wusses that I'd already passed.

Miles 12-23 were not very eventful. I kept my pace between 20.0 and 22.5 and my HR stayed between 155 and 165 with no spikes.

Miles 24-32 were mostly uphill with multiple rollers, and were back into the slight breeze. I decided I needed to keep some gas in the tank, so I cognitively took it easy here to save some energy. My HR dropped, even with the more difficult conditions as my pace dropped below 20.0 for much of this with my fasted mile being 20.7 and slowest being 16.9 (104 feet of elevation gain during this mile). My HR stayed between 145 and 155 during this stretch.

Miles 33 to 42 the course had some rollers, but was pretty flat to downhill. I caught up with a dude at mile 35 that was traveling at a decent speed, and told him to grab my wheel. I did a full mile pull, and pulled to the side to let him pass. He did almost a full mile pull and I thought yippity-skippity, I'm in business. I did a mile, he did .5 miles, I did a mile, he did .4 miles, I did a mile and he did .2 miles, I left him in the dust. Nasty crash at mile 41 that I pulled over for to see if everyone was alright; looked like more than a few broken bones and at least 4 bikers down :mellow:

Miles 43 to 60 had lots of rollers and was mostly uphill. My pace was all over the place during this stretch as I averaged between 22.9 and 18.3 MPH, and 3 miles had 100 feet or more of elevation gain. I worked damn hard during mile 43, and my HR got up to 175 (max for the day), and thought I might be in trouble = time to throttle back a bit. Mile 45 had a nice descent and I grabbed the wheel of another group for .5 miles before going solo again, and my HR got back to 146 which was a huge boost! I took over after his .5 mile pull, and he also dropped off the back almost immediately. Back on my own.

Race Part III: 75 miles is a long way; hydration is important; and I'm a fidiot

Just before mile 60 I was out of water, and the 80 degrees of sunshine had me caked in my own salt. I was now in survival mode = just finish damnit! I truly did not want to stop at all, but was really worried without any water. I wanted to take one more Gu, but wanted to be able to wash it down. A group of kids had a Gatorade tub in the back of their parents' pick-up during mile 63, so I bit the bullet and pulled over to let them fill my single water bottle up with lime Gatorade :banned: . Filling my Camelback was not an option.

Like a Fidiot I turned my Garmin off when I stopped to fill-up, and more like a Fidiot I didn't start it for approximately 3 miles :doh:

Miles 60-75 were mostly downhill which was much appreciated. My legs were tired, but surviving. There was some bad chip seal for a mile in there somewhere, and even worse was that those that did the 25, 35 and 45 mile routes all joined our path during this stretch = lots of really slow fat people on expensive bikes (I'm so glad they spent an extra $2,000 on their bike to make it 1.5 lbs. lighter than mine, while their bike had to carry an extra freaking 100 lbs. around).

The finish was pretty uneventful. I averaged between 19.8 and 22.4 during this stretch, depending on if the rollers were going up or down, while my HR was really steady between 160 and 171.

FINAL Stats and Impression

Garmin had me going 70.02 miles (missed first mile and approx. 3 with Garmin off; also turned off before the end as it was an utter cluster a mile before the finish).

Time: 3:20:07

Pace: 2:51/Mi or 21.0 MPH

Max Speed: 29.9

Total Calories: 4981

Avg HR: 158

Max HR: 175

Total Ascent: 2,996

I will DEFINITELY do this ride again. The ride was extremely scenic with multiple wild flowers and beautiful scenery. LOVED it. I was also surprised how well my HR did, and feel pretty confident heading into a summer of races.

and even worse was that those that did the 25, 35 and 45 mile routes all joined our path during this stretch = lots of really slow fat people on expensive bikes (I'm so glad they spent an extra $2,000 on their bike to make it 1.5 lbs. lighter than mine, while their bike had to carry an extra freaking 100 lbs. around).

Yeah, sorry about getting in your way there, GB. On the bright side my new Zipps look awesome, don't they?

I signed up for the second Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown. 5k,8miler,and half marathon. I want to keep doing this for as long as I can. I want to be able to say I have done them all 20+ years from now.

and even worse was that those that did the 25, 35 and 45 mile routes all joined our path during this stretch = lots of really slow fat people on expensive bikes (I'm so glad they spent an extra $2,000 on their bike to make it 1.5 lbs. lighter than mine, while their bike had to carry an extra freaking 100 lbs. around).

Yeah, sorry about getting in your way there, GB. On the bright side my new Zipps look awesome, don't they?
:lmao: sounds just like the motocross world. It doesn't matter how fast you are, as long as look fast.

Congrats on a great race, psl. You make me want to buy a bike.

I signed up for the second Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown. 5k,8miler,and half marathon. I want to keep doing this for as long as I can. I want to be able to say I have done them all 20+ years from now.

Are you going for all three? :excited:

PSL...not sure how fun the workout really was...but it was at least satisfying when it was over.

1 mile at 10:08 to warm up...then right into the fun

1 mile at 8:19

.25 jogging about 2:30-3:00 each time in between

1 mile at 8:20

1 mile at 7:59

1 mile at 7:58

.5 in 3:53

.5 in 3:51

1 mile at 10:32

8.1 total

Sho Nuff

You doing this on a track or streets

Sho NuffYou doing this on a track or streets

Usually on a track or a loop around part of the neighborhood that is pretty flat and around a .5 mile loop...last night sucked it up and did it on the TM. Not my favorite for those workouts...but does give consistent pacing I guess.

Sho NuffYou doing this on a track or streets

Usually on a track or a loop around part of the neighborhood that is pretty flat and around a .5 mile loop...last night sucked it up and did it on the TM. Not my favorite for those workouts...but does give consistent pacing I guess.
Nice workout! But -ugh- on a TM!!

Yeah, consistent pacing delivered by a machine. I think tempos/intervals are the most important workouts to do outside so that you have a get a feel for pacing on your own. I have a friend who is totally capable of qualifying Boston, but she's never done it. She does all of her workouts on the treadmill, so when she gets to the point in the race where it gets tough and she starts to slow down, she doesn't know how to pick it back up and keep going because the machine always does it for her.

Yeah, consistent pacing delivered by a machine. I think tempos/intervals are the most important workouts to do outside so that you have a get a feel for pacing on your own. I have a friend who is totally capable of qualifying Boston, but she's never done it. She does all of her workouts on the treadmill, so when she gets to the point in the race where it gets tough and she starts to slow down, she doesn't know how to pick it back up and keep going because the machine always does it for her.
Not to pile on, but I agree 100%. The thing with the TM is your legs are trying to keep up with the belt instead of setting the pace on the pavement (i.e. driving forward). Granted the TM is better than not running, but it's not ideal for these sort of runs.

Not to pile on, but I agree 100%. The thing with the TM is your legs are trying to keep up with the belt instead of setting the pace on the pavement (i.e. driving forward). Granted the TM is better than not running, but it's not ideal for these sort of runs.
Oh, I agree with you all which is why I said I sucked it up and did it on the TM...timing just did not work out to get this one in outside at this point.

In addition, Im also fighting the elements...otherwise known as ridiculously high pollen counts here and awful allergies.

I try to do as much outside as I can...but at least one workout a week ends up being on the TM these days...long runs are outside and most tempo or race pace runs as well.

:lmao: I don't know if I've seen as many Zipps ever outside of a large Tri. F'ing Zipps!

:thumbup: Someday young children will be pointing at you, explaining to their friends that that old fart has done this since 2011!!! Be that guy!

You make me want to buy a bike.

Do it!

Sho Nuff: I can't fathom doing speed work on a Dreadmill. Awesome that you got it in, but I'd likely kill myself on it.

My update:

My legs feel darn good today after yesterday's mini-runs and elliptical workout = no new pains!!!! This morning I did P90x Back, shoulders and triceps. This afternoon I'll either do Plyometrics or a 20 mile'ish ride (depending on the weather) followed by Ab Ripper.

I'll pile on too. I think you can trick the treadmill by adjusting your stride. In theory you could just jump out and down (slightly forward) and the belt would would fly underneath you. A treadmill rewards air time and reducing belt contact time.

PSL - Great ride and great report. I wish I had more of an understanding of what you guys do on the bike and in the water, but going at it for almost 25 MPH is nothing to sneeze at. To give us mortals (runners) an understanding, what speed does that translate to in running. Just curious as I know it is different muscles and all that, but I have no idea.

----------

Just got back from 10 miles with 6 x 1000m repeats @ 5K pace. These were a bit tough as I did 10 really hilly miles yesterday, but here are my splits:

1 - 4:10 (little shaky on this one as I did not lap my watch for the first one)

2 - 4:09

3 - 4:19

4 - 4:15

5 - 4:14

6 - 4:09

I have no idea what my 5K pace should be and honestly, I need to look it up, but I think I did well on these as it was taxing enough on my legs and I was able to maintain a pretty consistant speed throughout. After yesterday, I am just glad I was able to do all 6.

Have a great day all.

I'll pile on too. I think you can trick the treadmill by adjusting your stride. In theory you could just jump out and down (slightly forward) and the belt would would fly underneath you. A treadmill rewards air time and reducing belt contact time.
I think you guys are a little extreme on your anti-treadmill stance. I agree that one shouldn't train exclusively or even near-exclusively on a treadmill but it's perfectly OK to use them when weather is bad, allergies are acting up, etc.

PSL - Great ride and great report. I wish I had more of an understanding of what you guys do on the bike and in the water, but going at it for almost 25 MPH is nothing to sneeze at. To give us mortals (runners) an understanding, what speed does that translate to in running. Just curious as I know it is different muscles and all that, but I have no idea.----------Just got back from 10 miles with 6 x 1000m repeats @ 5K pace. These were a bit tough as I did 10 really hilly miles yesterday, but here are my splits:1 - 4:10 (little shaky on this one as I did not lap my watch for the first one)2 - 4:093 - 4:194 - 4:155 - 4:146 - 4:09I have no idea what my 5K pace should be and honestly, I need to look it up, but I think I did well on these as it was taxing enough on my legs and I was able to maintain a pretty consistant speed throughout. After yesterday, I am just glad I was able to do all 6.Have a great day all.

pmb: Great workout. I have never run 1,000 repeats but that speed (4:10) would translate to a 3:33 800 :nerd:. If you believe in Yasso 800's as a predictor of marathon time (I do), that suggests that are prime for a sub 3:33 or faster marathon if you can train to do 2 more of those. This is assuming that 8 x 1,000 is more difficult (or even equivalent to 10 x 8,000 (Yasso 800's), which I assume it would be. Again, Great Workout!!Regarding converting bike times to running times, I don't think it's feasible. Wind, drafting, weight, elevation and equipment play too big of a role regarding speed. Because I was passing so many people (changes in the wind due to a slight drafting advantage)my initial 10 miles were faster than they would have been had those people not been there. I do know my effort for those roughly 24 minutes was similar to me running an almost all out 4 miles, where you are holding back just a little. I know I'm faster than most on the bike, but not the fastest. My advantage is my ability to sustain speed for longer periods of time, NOT my ability to go fast. My AVE pace doesn't change much whether I'm doing an hour ride, or a three hour ride. The bike has many advantages over running, as it is MUCH easier to get your HR down, once it is up; and my body responds/recovers really well on long rides. Just coasting for a few seconds, or getting a good draft can amazingly get your HR down (i.e, after mile 12 and 45 my HR shot down to 146'ish right after very hard efforts).