What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (1 Viewer)

It's been four weeks since I last ran outside, nothing but treadmill since we got the first big storm in Boston. I've gotten all of my runs in, 33/32/28 miles the last three weeks and will do 38 this week. I always run at a 1 degree incline to make it a little tougher, and I do a good hill workout once a week. And one speed workout and the rest slow. I hope to get back outside soon but it's been so damn cold (w/ no end in sight) and the streets are still such a disaster that I don't know when that will happen. I feel like my fitness is better than ever and everything is going well but I'm wondering how I'll respond when I eventually do get back out on the road. I imagine the toughest thing will be downhills, which I can't really simulate inside and have always been the part of runs that give my legs the most trouble. Not sure what the solution is other than to stop being a ##### and to get out there. But I'm curious if anyone here ever spent so much time excluively on the treadmill while marathon training and whether you "paid for it" somehow down the line.
The mental toughness you've gained will outweigh the bit of soreness you'll feel. Kudos for sticking this out!

It's months away but I'm dead set on running the HM of my life in march, and again in April (depending on our spring break plans, wife reminded me that the Raleigh half is at the end of spring break so haven't signed up yet)
just registered for Raleigh. Wife will take the kids to her parents over Spring Break, I'll get to run the race.

Hope everybody is well and surviving the ridiculous weather. I still have calf issues so my running is limited and by now all my fall training conditioning is likely lost. I will be starting from scratch when I get healthy, which may still take a while. I first had issues the last week of December, so we are going on two months.

Hope everybody is well and surviving the ridiculous weather. I still have calf issues so my running is limited and by now all my fall training conditioning is likely lost. I will be starting from scratch when I get healthy, which may still take a while. I first had issues the last week of December, so we are going on two months.
Ugh. Hope you get healthy soon.

94 miles this week :clap:

Only 20 running :kicksrock:

20 degrees this morning so the local 5k was cancelled.

Instead - 1 mile warm-up, 5 mile HM pace, 1 mile cool-down

For the 5M, HR stayed between 170-174 (shot up to 180 at the end)

6:33, 6:50, 6:57, 7:22, 6:56; fairly happy with 6:56 pace for now, but the HM goal is sub 6:50, so that will take some work.

Mile 4 includes our "biggest hill" - 70' in about half a mile, not exactly huge but enough to slow me down.

Good news: 8 miles today with 5 mi. @ 7:48/mi, 161 HR ..a solid tempo. Ran with Juxt, who controlled the pace well on some undulating terrain.

Bad news: My ankle is not doing well. It almost feels like a sprain ..it's not one specific muscle or anything, it's the whole up/down movement that can cause pain. It acted up late in our run, causing us to cut off 4-5 miles. I'll talk to the trainer at my university on Monday about it. I might need to lay low for a couple of weeks to let it heal fully. It isn't working to run through it.

Another 15 on the treadmill this morning at 9:45 pace. Hated this one much more that the past few long mill runs, seemed like forever.

Did watch a pretty good movie though, St. Vincent. If you've seen the movie right around mile 13 was the end when the kid was on stage giving his presentation. I was crying like a baby as I ran. Usually not a movie-crier but I was fatigued and vulnerable, just let it all out. Sobbing. What a pathetic sight, glad nobody came downstairs.

Unfortunately some people did come downstairs when I had about a quarter mile left, and my niece tripped over the ####### tread mill cord and unplugged it. Did not see it coming and came to a crashing halt, literally. Buckled my knee and pulled something in my abdomen. Let out a thundering f-bomb and she ran upstairs crying. Now I'm the bad guy. And sore as a mother ####er.

FML

I'm having calf issues too. Since last Friday's 12 miler at 7:15 pace. Everytime I seem to be turning a fitness corner I get an annoying injury. Haven't had calf issues in awhile thanks to the calf sleeves and this wasn't speed training and I had done some 10 milers at that pace so it wasn't like I drastically bumped up in either single run or weekly mileage. This one has me baffled. <_<

Another 15 on the treadmill this morning at 9:45 pace. Hated this one much more that the past few long mill runs, seemed like forever.

Did watch a pretty good movie though, St. Vincent. If you've seen the movie right around mile 13 was the end when the kid was on stage giving his presentation. I was crying like a baby as I ran. Usually not a movie-crier but I was fatigued and vulnerable, just let it all out. Sobbing. What a pathetic sight, glad nobody came downstairs.

Unfortunately some people did come downstairs when I had about a quarter mile left, and my niece tripped over the ####### tread mill cord and unplugged it. Did not see it coming and came to a crashing halt, literally. Buckled my knee and pulled something in my abdomen. Let out a thundering f-bomb and she ran upstairs crying. Now I'm the bad guy. And sore as a mother ####er.

FML
:jawdrop:

As awesome as this is I simply can't hit the like button. Pretty sure the gym on the ninth level of hell is nothing but rows and rows of treadmills.

---

On my end a hard 45 miles today before nasty rain moves in. We are under a wind advisory, so 25mph sustained winds out there with 35mph gusts. Combined with 100ft of climbing per mile meant a lot of hairy descents. A memorable ride, to be sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
50 degrees here. Raining.

Opted to ride first but after 15 minutes on the trainer the rain let up so i ran 90.

Enjoying (if that's the right word) doing 1 minute squat holds and 1 minute wall sits after my long runs. Probably should do these more often.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a pretty nasty cold that hasn't gone away for a few days but I'm rocking out a 70 minute run anyway. We'll see how bad the trails are today...

Week 5 in the books. Here's the info:

Mon: 4.13 Mile Run. 149 HR. 11:42 pace.

Tues: Hill Run. 2.80 Miles. Max HR 184. Best pace: 7:00

Wednesday. 4.13 Mile Run. 149 HR. 11:11 pace. Progress

Thursday: Higdon Tempo Run. 4.11 Miles. Max HR 187. 7:36 pace.

Friday: Off

Saturday: 4.26 Mile Pace Run. 172HR. 9:05 Pace. Progress

Sunday: Long run 9.64 Miles. 151 HR. 11:20 Pace. Progress (sort of). A little high on HR.

So a weekly total of 29.07. A better week for sure. Saw some progress moments for sure. Of course, I probably need to bring my HR down some: still running a little hot by the watch on my slow runs.

Week 5 in the books. Here's the info:

Mon: 4.13 Mile Run. 149 HR. 11:42 pace.

Tues: Hill Run. 2.80 Miles. Max HR 184. Best pace: 7:00

Wednesday. 4.13 Mile Run. 149 HR. 11:11 pace. Progress

Thursday: Higdon Tempo Run. 4.11 Miles. Max HR 187. 7:36 pace.

Friday: Off

Saturday: 4.26 Mile Pace Run. 172HR. 9:05 Pace. Progress

Sunday: Long run 9.64 Miles. 151 HR. 11:20 Pace. Progress (sort of). A little high on HR.

So a weekly total of 29.07. A better week for sure. Saw some progress moments for sure. Of course, I probably need to bring my HR down some: still running a little hot by the watch on my slow runs.
Nice to see the red! :thumbup:

Jux's 5K Training Week 8

3 weeks to go before my first 5K. Pretty decent week until today. Overall, 41.86 miles.

Monday: 5.34 miles/7:20 pace. Outside.

Tuesday: 6.0 total miles with 2 x 1.50 miles @ 5K pace. Treadmill. In McMillan's book, he mentions 2 times 1.5 miles at goal pace with a .25 mile rest interval being a good 5K race predictor. So that's what I did. Ran the race pace portions at 5:53 pace. Very difficult workout.

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: 8.6 miles/7:5? pace. Treadmill.

Friday: 6.25 with 4.25 at marathon pace. Treadmill. MP part at 6:53. There was no real point to doing this workout other than I hadn't run at that pace since last year and I was curious what it would fell like. Felt a little tempo-ey but not too bad.

Saturday: 11.27 miles/7:38 Outside, long run for the week. First half with Tri-man before his ankle starting hurting. :(

Sunday: 4.4 miles/failure. Treadmill. I wasn't sure if I wanted to run a tempo, mile repeats or what. After warm up, started running at 6:18 pace. After 2.1 miles, I decided I would run just one more mile but at 5Kish pace. I made it about .25 miles and had enough. I just didn't feel in the mood for that effort level. I'll try to make up for this next week. I often get motivation from bad workouts.

I am officially pulling my head out of my ### tomorrow. I thought last week's race would do it, but three miles this week?

####, or get off the pot, MAC.
Done.Monday - 3 miles, all unshoveled sidewalks, a lot of stress released in this run, 24 minutes in those conditions was not easy

Wednesday - 4 miles, terrain was easier to manage than Monday but I took it easier, 35 minutes

Friday - 5 miles, terrain was great but it was ####### cold, finished a little faster than I wanted but I just wanted to get home and under some blankets, 42 minutes

Today - 8 miles, first half on trails, second half on pavement, took it easy on the trails but pushed it a bit on the pavement...feel great right now, hour ten mins

Now to make this week better than last week...

Nice work Chief, Juxt, and Mac. And Nigel with 15 on a treadmill....good for you, but shoot me! Tri, hope the ankle isn't serious.

I salvaged what was looking to be a crappy ending to the week. I went out yesterday afternoon for a short run and just felt terrible. My daughter had a fever for 5 days last week, my girlfriend has been sick for the past 4 days, and I figured I might be getting it, too. 3 miles in on a short (200 yd) climb, I was power hiking and just couldn't catch my breath. I ended up walking in most of the rest of the way to struggle through 4 1/2 miles, and that didn't bode too well for today's planned 20.

I still wasn't feeling great this morning - I'm not sick (yet), but if it's not coming on my body is fighting it like hell, I'm sure. Knowing I would need some extra motivation to get anything done and figuring I should stay away from big climbs, I drove 30 minutes out to the Pt. Reyes National Seashore where it was a stunning, warm, beautiful day (sorry pretty much everyone in here).

I got started.....and felt good. I ended up knocking out the full 20 in 10:38 pace, and while it was a relatively flat run for me (1,580' of gain but no long climbs mostly just rolling stuff), I'm still pretty stoked with that pace - especially considering how I felt going in.

Just for Beer, here are some pics:

Heading out along the creek

Can't go much further West than this

iPhone panoramic view

Single track above the ocean on a 70 degree February day

I'm on pause for a week. Have some sort of stomach bug and not really sure what's going on. I don't feel bad until I eat, then I can't keep anything down. Really dehydrated at this point so I don't think running's a good idea. So, I have a wellness question for you guys. Do you get regular massages? I can't stand them, but will get one when my back ceases up on me, but I am wondering if this wouldn't be a smart thing to do while conditioning myself for running again.

Thoughts?

I'm on pause for a week. Have some sort of stomach bug and not really sure what's going on. I don't feel bad until I eat, then I can't keep anything down. Really dehydrated at this point so I don't think running's a good idea. So, I have a wellness question for you guys. Do you get regular massages? I can't stand them, but will get one when my back ceases up on me, but I am wondering if this wouldn't be a smart thing to do while conditioning myself for running again.

Thoughts?
I have a 90 minute massage scheduled for today! I try and schedule one when I know I'll be finishing up a higher block of volume (3 weeks up, 1 week down - get one at the beginning of that 4th week), a week or so before a race, and 3-4 days after. My schedule doesn't always work out for all of those, but I try.

Look into Massage Envy if you have one around you, as it's pretty reasonable if you're going to be getting them regularly. Just be clear on why you're there, what you are looking for each time you go in, and don't be afraid to try different massage therapists until you find one you like. I do think that regular massage, along with seeing my PT/Chiro/Graston guy once a month, have made a big difference for me the past couple of years in keeping little niggles from turning into real injuries.

Thoughts?
I have a 90 minute massage scheduled for today! I try and schedule one when I know I'll be finishing up a higher block of volume (3 weeks up, 1 week down - get one at the beginning of that 4th week), a week or so before a race, and 3-4 days after. My schedule doesn't always work out for all of those, but I try.

Look into Massage Envy if you have one around you, as it's pretty reasonable if you're going to be getting them regularly. Just be clear on why you're there, what you are looking for each time you go in, and don't be afraid to try different massage therapists until you find one you like. I do think that regular massage, along with seeing my PT/Chiro/Graston guy once a month, have made a big difference for me the past couple of years in keeping little niggles from turning into real injuries.
Yeah, this is where I go when I have to. My wife's a member but doesn't go every month, so I can use one of her months for an extra $10. I average about once a year. I lucked out getting a girl who also works for the Panthers on their staff. After she's done with my back I am sore for a couple days, but don't have any problems for months.

Thoughts?

Another Massage Envy guy. I see a somewhat large latina lady who abuses me and I love it.

Got a membership but as it's over a half hour drive from my house I've started skipping every 3rd month which means I get two 90 minute sessions instead of the three 60 minute sessions.

Took advantage of the earlier sunrise to go for a run this morning. -4F when I went out. Just went for about 20 minutes as I'm still feeling out my calf recovery. I'm trying to sort out what is post-surgery effects vs. long term effects. Unfortunately, it feels like the calf more resembles pre-surgery conditions than a new & improved state. Still early to get a true read on things, but that's where it feels out today.

I'm holding out hope that I can just go a little bit longer than I was able to do in 2014. Under cooler conditions, I could do about 3 miles every other day with only minor pain post run (unfortunately that minor pain is pretty much 24x7). If I can get to 4 or 5 miles every other day, that would be big win.

After the run, I'm doing stretch, massage and ice and it's not clear if one of those is excaberating things. I'll continue to experiment (but I did that last year, so we may not have improved things)

Users who are viewing this thread