What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

There isn't a better back than JLewis (1 Viewer)

RKade

Footballguy
Don't get it, people on the message board are trying to trade JLew for Moss or McNabb but I think he is going to be the BEST RB in fantasy football this year. Why?1. On a run first team. 2. Cream puff schedule.3. Fully recovered4. Clearly a stud before he got hurt. It's not like this guy didn't have a successful history (though short) before he got hurt.5. Young

8 in the box, if any team is smart.No way I'd let that guy beat me. Let the rookie and his weak wideouts do it.Besides, Priest is the #1 back this year.

I just don't think he'll see enough passes or goal-line ops to be the BEST.That said, I agree with most of what you've said. But if I had two other good options who were involved in the passing game, and a decent backup, I'd consider moving him for a Moss or someone similar.Of course, receptions and goal-line carries won't matter if he runs for 300 every week, but I'm not comfortable projecting that just yet.

I don't know if he will be the best this year or not, but I have to agree that I don't understand why everyone is looking to trade him right now. I would be looking to trade FOR him if the price was right.IMO you look for relative value in your players. Some people got him with their 2nd draft pick, and some even with their 3rd :shock: . That means that they drafted someone else first who they perceived to have more value. No one is outplaying their relative draft value more than Lewis right now. Why trade him now? He will be considered much more valuable after a few games against that schedule, providing he stays healthy. The object is supposed to be to have players in your lineup that generally outperform their peers. Lewis is definitely doing that at this point. I traded one owner in our league Amos Zereoue and Terrell Owens for Lewis and Jerry Rice on draft day (considering I also had Marvin Harrison and Derrick Mason for WR's). So far, the trade is working out pretty good for me.

8 in the box, if any team is smart.No way I'd let that guy beat me. Let the rookie and his weak wideouts do it.Besides, Priest is the #1 back this year.
That being said, from all accounts, it looked like Cleveland was using 8 in the box and it wasn't working.Is JLew the best RB in football...no.Is he going to get the ball 350-375 times this year...yes.Can he average 4 YPC in doing so...yes.Can he put up 10-12 TD's...yes.Will 8 men in the box sometimes stifle him...yes.But the bottom line is this...you want your RB's touching the ball (witness what happens when they don't...Marshall Faulk). JLew is going to get his touches, perhaps more of them (rushing) than any RB in football, and his speed was impressive.Come 2004, he'll be considered a Top 5 RB.

I am in two 16 Team Full Roster Keeper Leagues....In both leagues I made deals FOR Lewis this offseason.League #1: Traded Garcia for Palmer and Lewis (have Hasselbeck and Maddox at QB)League #2: went out on a limb but traded Portis for Lewis, Holt, Hearst and Leftwich (have Shaun Alexander too)Hope to ride Lewis to the end!!

That's what CLE tried to do and had 8 in the box last week.

Again why can't he be the best in football?LT -- team is strugglingPrient -- looks like he won't last the seasonFaulk-- insane coach who won't run him enoughJLewis was a tremendous stud before he got hurt, looks extrememly healthy, young, and has a cream puff schedule.

It's the old mantra - buy low, sell high.Well, it just doesn't get much higher than 295 yards and 2TD so why not at least see what kind of offers you can get for him?

I don't think any RB in the NFL has his blend of power and speed. Last year he got by on power alone and gained over 1,300 yards. This year he has a burst that I haven't seen from him before. By the end of the game you can see the defense start going for the ankles because they don't want to be hit anymore. He punishes defenses. I think this may be the tip of the iceberg as far as Jamal is concerned. If they can get any passing attack going as a result of his rushing he could have a scary year.

Sorry guy, JL is a STUD but Portis will have that record (and the title of #1 RB in football) by the end of 2004, if not sooner... :yes:

Lewis was the #1 RB -- for a week. An entire season is an entirely different proposition.He already has had two top seasons as an NFL RB. And neither year did he even rank in the Top 10 fantasy RB.Lewis needs to improve in three areas to make it to the top of the running back food chain:- Get more involved in the passing game- Score a lot more TD than in previous seasons- Have more touches than in previous seasonsI am not convinced that all of those will happen, and without those elements he likely will not come close to being the #1 overall RB over the course of a full season.

Sorry guy, JL is a STUD but Portis will have that record (and the title of #1 RB in football) by the end of 2004, if not sooner... :yes:
Hmmm no I think Portis will not play a full season (see last game for starters) and while he posts nice numbers won't have the record. :no:

As a Lewis owner, I don't need him to finish in the top 5 to be a great pick. I picked him at 2.05, and at this pace he'll defintely pay off. Anyone who needs him to finish that high to be a valuable player paid too much for him at the draft.

As a Lewis owner, I don't need him to finish in the top 5 to be a great pick. I picked him at 2.05, and at this pace he'll defintely pay off. Anyone who needs him to finish that high to be a valuable player paid too much for him at the draft.
Never can score enough pts and you never know if another key player on your roster goes down to injury. I drafted him with the 4th selection in the second round and more than happy so far. More to come though.

So the fact that Walter Payton's record stood for 20 years before one guy broke it twice (Dillon), and then another guy broke that record (Lewis), we suddenly have enough evidence to think Portis will go over 295 at some point? Wow....that's a bit rich for my blood.HERD

So the fact that Walter Payton's record stood for 20 years before one guy broke it twice (Dillon), and then another guy broke that record (Lewis), we suddenly have enough evidence to think Portis will go over 295 at some point? Wow....that's a bit rich for my blood.HERD
Since when did Dillon break that record twice?

As per the trend with anti-Alexander people, I don't think we should include this game in the final calculation of his end of the year stats.

Ditto- you beat me to it.

I just had someone agree to a trade where I give up D. Jax and Lewis and get Portis. I can understand why everyone likes Lewis, but he still plays on Baltimore and defensive game plans can be written around him. While he should have a strong week this week I wouldn't get my hopes up too high on him outperforming players like Portis, LT and RW.

2 things:1. If I recall correctly, Dillon broke Sweetness's record and then broke his own record.2. So everyone realizes I'm not a hypocrite, I won't be including Jamal's game from last week in next year's draft prep. I'll fill it in as a 100 yard 2 TD performance and move on.HERD

Hmmm no I think Portis will not play a full season (see last game for starters) and while he posts nice numbers won't have the record. :no:
What makes Jamal Lewis any less likely to be injured than Priest or Portis? Sure, those two are a little nicked up now, but Lewis has a rather extensive injury history, which includes multiple knee operations. BTW, I'm saying this as a Lewis owner who doesn't own either Portis or Priest in any of my teams.

2 things:1. If I recall correctly, Dillon broke Sweetness's record and then broke his own record.2. So everyone realizes I'm not a hypocrite, I won't be including Jamal's game from last week in next year's draft prep. I'll fill it in as a 100 yard 2 TD performance and move on.HERD
I am just saying that why so many "trying to trade JLewis" threads? People act shocked that he dominated games which he did before he got hurt.Another 100+ 2 td performance this weekend, bank on it.

What makes Jamal Lewis any less likely to be injured than Priest or Portis? Sure, those two are a little nicked up now, but Lewis has a rather extensive injury history, which includes multiple knee operations. BTW, I'm saying this as a Lewis owner who doesn't own either Portis or Priest in any of my teams.
Because one is hurt and the other isn't. How many people are picking up Portis's backup vs Lewis backup? That should mean something, no?

1. If I recall correctly, Dillon broke Sweetness's record and then broke his own record.
Nope. He had the one game against Denver that broke Payton's record. Payton's big day ranks third behind Lewis and Dillon.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :thumbup:
Funny, but that is one of the more irritating things I hear in fantasy and real sports "If you take away those (insert amount) of plays his numbers would not look good." Well, you CAN'T just take away those plays. If you do, then you could say "If (insert name) didn't throw those 10 Int's, his TD/INT ratio would be #1!"Why do people think it's valid to throw out large run plays or long ball receiving plays, etc when they count!

Funny, but that is one of the more irritating things I hear in fantasy and real sports "If you take away those (insert amount) of plays his numbers would not look good." Well, you CAN'T just take away those plays. If you do, then you could say "If (insert name) didn't throw those 10 Int's, his TD/INT ratio would be #1!"Why do people think it's valid to throw out large run plays or long ball receiving plays, etc when they count!
i agree 100%. i am a huge shaun alexander fan (the guy has almost singlehandedly won me two straight titles in my keeper league), and i get sick of hearing that crap-### argument about throwing out the minny game. that's why i found that "throw out the record setting game" so humorous. it seems people only pick on shaun with that faulty logic.

I just had someone agree to a trade where I give up D. Jax and Lewis and get Portis.

I can understand why everyone likes Lewis, but he still plays on Baltimore and defensive game plans can be written around him. While he should have a strong week this week I wouldn't get my hopes up too high on him outperforming players like Portis, LT and RW.
Agreed. Let's see, how do we stop the Ravens? 8 or 9 in the box to stop Jamal (I know the Browns tried 8, but they suck very badly at it) and let the below average rookie QB beat us OR sit back in coverage and try to contain Travis Taylor and all the other stiff Raven WR's and let Jamal run wild on us. Hmmmmm.Jamal is a great #2 back and will outpeform his draft position, but those of you who are able to get a Portis, Ricky, etc. for Jamal and another player are wise. The Ravens "O" will struggle with a rookie QB at times. With that being said, he does have an easy rushing schedule, so I definitely see 10 TD's and a boatload of yards.

I just had someone agree to a trade where I give up D. Jax and Lewis and get Portis.

I can understand why everyone likes Lewis, but he still plays on Baltimore and defensive game plans can be written around him. While he should have a strong week this week I wouldn't get my hopes up too high on him outperforming players like Portis, LT and RW.
Agreed. Let's see, how do we stop the Ravens? 8 or 9 in the box to stop Jamal (I know the Browns tried 8, but they suck very badly at it) and let the below average rookie QB beat us OR sit back in coverage and try to contain Travis Taylor and all the other stiff Raven WR's and let Jamal run wild on us. Hmmmmm.Jamal is a great #2 back and will outpeform his draft position, but those of you who are able to get a Portis, Ricky, etc. for Jamal and another player are wise. The Ravens "O" will struggle with a rookie QB at times. With that being said, he does have an easy rushing schedule, so I definitely see 10 TD's and a boatload of yards.
Again, why do you say " I know CLE sucks badly at it" when they still stacked the line and he ran all over them. Let me make this point again, their schedule isn't tough at all. If you can say you will break the single day rushing record and do just that, I don't care what defense is out there, that is bold.Here is his schedule:

vs JAC = big day

vs KC = tough

vs Arizona = big day

vs Cinn = big day

vs Den = good day not tough though

vs Jac = big day

vs STL = big day

vs Miami = depends if Miami can turn it around, TEXANS had a nice day and at least get average production

vs SEA = tough day

vs SF = tough day

vs Cinn = big day

vs Oak = big day <first round fantasy playoff weekend

vs Cleveland = we all know what kind of day he will have < Super Bowl Fantasy week

As you can see, only three games out of 13 remaining games can you honestly say it will be tough to produce big numbers and that is counting on Miami turning it around.

Can we say cream puff?

i agree 100%. i am a huge shaun alexander fan (the guy has almost singlehandedly won me two straight titles in my keeper league), and i get sick of hearing that crap-### argument about throwing out the minny game. that's why i found that "throw out the record setting game" so humorous. it seems people only pick on shaun with that faulty logic.
I hear you and the bizarre thing is that this is common across the board in all sports and not just fantasy but real sports!If Kobe didn't have Shaq he wouldn't have won any titles.If JLew didn't have those explosive big runs his average would have stunkIf the Titans had one more foot to the endzone in the SuperBowlIf you take away SAlex game against Minn then he is an average at best back (then why a top 1st rounder?).Excuses and that's what separates the studs from the rest, the rest don't make those plays happen while the studs do. Then people act like it was luck!

Because one is hurt and the other isn't. How many people are picking up Portis's backup vs Lewis backup? That should mean something, no?
Neither injuries should affect Portis' or Holmes' ability to play this weekend. Plus, they are both injuries to the chest area. So no, I don't think these injuries say anything about the likelihood that Holmes or Portis will miss a large portion of the season.Also, unless you believe that there is a large population of fantasy players who possess insider information regarding player injuries, the fact that many people are picking up Portis' backup means nothing. That activity is driven entirely by speculation.KFFL injury reports: Chiefs | Holmes Being Used too Much - from www.KFFL.comTue, 16 Sep 2003 18:27:13 -0700Updating previous reports, Associated Press reports Kansas City Chiefs RB Priest Holmes' (bruised ribs) latest injury has raised some questions as to whether the team is asking him to do too much on the field. The team has said they want to give him fewer touches this year than last season, but so far this year Holmes has 53 touches – second most in the NFL – in two games. "His workload is exactly the same after the first two games as it was last year," offensive coordinator Al Saunders said. Broncos | Tests on Portis Negative - from www.KFFL.comMon, 15 Sep 2003 15:00:56 -0700Updating previous reports, Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan said an MRI and X-ray on RB Clinton Portis (chest) were negative. As reported, he's expected to practice Wednesday, Sept. 17.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two things:1) You don't see a trend? The fact that a 20 year-old record has been bested three times (according to your math, I have it being broken twice) in three years leads me to believe that it could fall (again) sooner rather than later.2) Portis had 100+ yards in the first quarter on Sunday and has put up more 150+ yard games as Lewis has in half the starts.Sure Portis has been dinged up this year but it hasn't stopped him from topping 120 yards in each game and leading the Broncos to two wins. He'll get his chances (more than Lewis will) from here on out. If I had to bet on who will break the record in the next two years I'm definitely bettin on Portis!

Let me explain why people like myself toss GREAT games out of consideration the next year. Whether it be Alexander scoring 6 TDs in one game or Jamal running for 295 yards, games like this are welcome gifts but they are not the norm. More to the point, they are so far from the norm that they skew per game averages. If you take away Ricky's best game from last year, he's still a beast. Ditto that for Priest and Portis and LT. If you take away Alexander's best game, he's still quite good, but in my opinion, you get a better view of what he can be counted on to do consistantly, not what he might do on a really good day.It may not be a method you employee or care for, but those of us who manipulate the stats to downgrade a player have our own reasons for doing so.Furthermore, all the smart-alecks that were calling me, Maximus and others out after Alexander's week 1 performance are nowhere to be found this week...HERD

Sure Portis has been dinged up this year but it hasn't stopped him from topping 120 yards in each game and leading the Broncos to two wins.
But it has stopped him from topping 295, hasn't it? :P HERD

vs JAC = big dayvs KC = toughvs Arizona = big dayvs Cinn = big dayvs Den = good day not tough thoughvs Jac = big dayvs STL = big dayvs Miami = depends if Miami can turn it around, TEXANS had a nice day and at least get average productionvs SEA = tough dayvs SF = tough dayvs Cinn = big day vs Oak = big day <first round fantasy playoff weekendvs Cleveland = we all know what kind of day he will have < Super Bowl Fantasy weekAs you can see, only three games out of 13 remaining games can you honestly say it will be tough to produce big numbers and that is counting on Miami turning it around.Can we say cream puff?
Problems with your analysis.Why is JAX = big day? They seemed to stop Travis Henry pretty well.& why is vs OAK = big day? They havent shown a run defense weakness.I agree that he has a reasonably easy schedule but those should not be considered as easy games for him.

thats what I like to hear!! :thumbup: (proud owner of both Portis and Lewis :excited: )

HERD,WHEN Portis breaks off 300 on somebody in the next two years I propose that you drop the avatar you stole from me forever! :excited: I am Moe the Bartender, no one else... :brush:

Two things:1) You don't see a trend? The fact that a 20 year-old record has been bested three times (according to your math, I have it being broken twice) in three years leads me to believe that it could fall (again) sooner rather than later.2) Portis had 100+ yards in the first quarter on Sunday and has put up more 150+ yard games as Lewis has in half the starts.Sure Portis has been dinged up this year but it hasn't stopped him from topping 120 yards in each game and leading the Broncos to two wins. He'll get his chances (more than Lewis will) from here on out. If I had to bet on who will break the record in the next two years I'm definitely bettin on Portis!
Again, we need to stop with the "would have had more yards if x didn't happen" lets stick to the facts with Portis game last Sunday. I didn't bring up about JLewis's long TD run that got called back, did I?I am not talking about if Portis will break JLew's single game record, I am saying that JLew should not be traded away. I don't see Portis as durable as JLewis, his knee injuries and all.Lewis has the record and until Portis breaks it (and that's a BIG If) then it doesn't mean much. Facts are JLewis has an easy schedule and has the best single game record. Nuff said

HERD,WHEN Portis breaks off 300 on somebody in the next two years I propose that you drop the avatar you stole from me forever! :excited: I am Moe the Bartender, no one else... :brush:
Don't hold your breath. I think I have to go, Portis caved in chest is calling me.

I like Jamal Lewis as much as the next guy. I own him in my money dynasty league and think he is a great back. His combination of speed and power is obviously impressive. I don't think you can argue his talent, and he seems to be fully recovered from his last knee injury. I'd rather see him with a Jeff Garcia and Terrell Owens, but this isn't a perfect world - and that Baltimore defense will always keep them in the game. HOWEVER .... I have my concerns; and don't rank him in the top 5 .... I've read through almost every post in this thread and you guys aren't paying credence to a VERY important fact. Jamal Lewis has torn both ACLs ... IMO, thats a huge downgrade ... He seems to be playing at full strength right now, but his chance of reinjuring those legs is much higher than a back that hasn't had that type of injury. People who are saying that Priest or Portis are at higher risk of injury than Jamal are crazy .... I own him, and love to watch him play ... But, I often consider trading him for someone with two good ACLs ....

I think you can make a case that many top RBs in the past has had major injuries. Sorry, but you run like he did last week, you no longer have to worry about his knees because it's impossible to run like that with power and juke and have any minor problems in the joints. Portis is banged up, Priest looks like he won't be able to make it through the year, LT2 hasn't shown anything, Faulk isn't getting younger and has a terrible coach. I am saying that given all the variables I mentioned one should never try to trade JLewis because you will be sorry when you do.

Users who are viewing this thread