What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Martyball no more? (2 Viewers)

Just saw the ticker too. Reported by Mortensen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good lord, what in the blazes is going on with that team???

Totally new coaching staff for 2007? If they were going to fire Marty, why didn't they do it right away so they could keep Cameron or Phillips? This is a headscratcher.

Good lord, what in the blazes is going on with that team???Totally new coaching staff for 2007? If they were going to fire Marty, why didn't they do it right away so they could keep Cameron or Phillips? This is a headscratcher.
Not to mention all good candidates are taken now as well. Maybe Norv Turner in SD?

14-2 isn't good enough. Boy I bet they regret waiting this long and seeing Cam Cameron fly the coop in the process. SD has never been a very good franchise, the trend continues.

So who takes over as the Chargers head coach?

Any educated guesses? Maybe Pete Carroll waited until USC locked up some blue chip talent before moving on... :dunno:

Very odd situation... It is gonna be really tough to get a full coaching staff in place... Wonder who is on their list for the job? Surely it is too late for Carroll, if he was to have any interest in the first place.

So who takes over as the Chargers head coach?Any educated guesses? Maybe Pete Carroll waited until USC locked up some blue chip talent before moving on... :dunno:
That would be quit a coup. Pete sits silently for several weeks waiting in the wings for the SOCAL coaching job.

Nice of AJ to wait until all the other head coaching positions are filled looks like a year off for Marty

Maybe Vegas should look at those best odds to win the SB Chargers now after they have lost every single coach and will soo let Donnie Edwards go too .... :shrug:

This has got to put them behind the 8-ball for getting decent coordinators too. It seems to me that the GM wants to put his own guys in there, without the input of the head coach. That is a recipe for disaster.

But of course AJ Smith knows all. Marty wasn't the reason for the Chargers success. It was all fatass AJ Smith. :shrug:

Man, with free agency, the combine and draft coming up, the Bolts have no head coach, no offensive or defensive coordinator.

YIKES.

While I'm a huge Schottenheimer fan and think this sounds like a horrible idea, you have to give Smith the benefit of the doubt here. He knows what he's doing, and he's one of the very best in the business. Let's not jump to conclusions just yet. I'm sure his side of the story is interesting, to say the least.

Statement from Dean Spanos:

“Today I made an extremely difficult decision: Marty Schottenheimer is no longer the head coach of the San Diego Chargers.“This decision was so hard because Marty has been both a friend and valued coach of our team. But my first obligation is always to do what is in the best interest of our fans and the entire Charger organization. I must take whatever steps are necessary to deliver a Super Bowl trophy to San Diego. Events of the last month have now convinced me that it is not possible for our organization to function at a championship level under the current structure. On the contrary, and in the plainest possible language, we have a dysfunctional situation here. Today I am resolving that situation once and for all.“My decision means that our organization will be obligated to pay the last year of Marty Schottenheimer’s contract and will begin an intense search for a new head coach at this relatively late date, but these are sacrifices that I believe are necessary to give the Chargers the best possible chance to win on the field this season.“Our fans deserve to know what changed for me over the last month. When I decided to move ahead with Marty Schottenheimer in mid-January, I did so with the expectation that the core of his fine coaching staff would remain intact. Unfortunately, that did not prove to be the case, and the process of dealing with these coaching changes convinced me that we simply could not move forward with such dysfunction between our head coach and general manager. In short, this entire process over the last month convinced me beyond any doubt that I had to act to change this untenable situation and create an environment where everyone at Charger Park would be pulling in the same direction and working at a championship level. I expect exactly that from our entire Charger organization in 2007.”

Parcells and Cowher are unavailable unless the Chargers come to an arrangement to give compensation to the Cowboys or Steelers.

Norm Chow, Ron Rivera, Jimmy Johnson (very unlikely), Pete Carroll (unlikely) . . . I can't think of any other decent candidates out there right now.

While I'm a huge Schottenheimer fan and think this sounds like a horrible idea, you have to give Smith the benefit of the doubt here. He knows what he's doing, and he's one of the very best in the business. Let's not jump to conclusions just yet. I'm sure his side of the story is interesting, to say the least.
One of the best in the business??? That's laughable at best. Sure, he played the role of understudy to the late John Butler for several years, but to say AJ Smith (with only a few years under his belt) is one of the best is foolish, hogwash even.

Parcells and Cowher are unavailable unless the Chargers come to an arrangement to give compensation to the Cowboys or Steelers.Norm Chow, Ron Rivera, Jimmy Johnson (very unlikely), Pete Carroll (unlikely) . . . I can't think of any other decent candidates out there right now.
Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooch!!!!Nick Saben????? :rolleyes:

When I decided to move ahead with Marty Schottenheimer in mid-January, I did so with the expectation that the core of his fine coaching staff would remain intact.
Sorry, but then the blame falls 100% squarely on Spanos. How in the world could he not realize that his assistant coaches were among the hottest head coaching candidates heading into this offseason? It was a virtual inevitability that at least ONE of the two coordinators were going to leave.If that was the condition under which they were keeping Marty around, that was just plain STUPID.

One of the best in the business??? That's laughable at best. Sure, he played the role of understudy to the late John Butler for several years, but to say AJ Smith (with only a few years under his belt) is one of the best is foolish, hogwash even.
I think he's been the best in the business since he took over after Butler's death. YMMV.

Parcells and Cowher are unavailable unless the Chargers come to an arrangement to give compensation to the Cowboys or Steelers.Norm Chow, Ron Rivera, Jimmy Johnson (very unlikely), Pete Carroll (unlikely) . . . I can't think of any other decent candidates out there right now.
Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooch!!!!
Okay, Steve Mariucci, Norv Turner, Jim Mora Jr., Dennis Green . . .Who else?

What a joke. This is insane.

The only think that makes this situation crazier is if Nick Saban or Bill Parcells end up with the gig. Or Tom Landry...but that would be way weird.

Good decision. They just should've done it sooner.

Yea, San Diego had a great year in 2006, but they should've gone deeper into the playoffs and they should've been in the title hunt in 2005.

What a joke. This is insane.The only think that makes this situation crazier is if Nick Saban or Bill Parcells end up with the gig. Or Tom Landry...but that would be way weird.
Or they give the Steelers their entire draft to sign Bill Cowher. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread