What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Martyball no more? (2 Viewers)

Parcells and Cowher are unavailable unless the Chargers come to an arrangement to give compensation to the Cowboys or Steelers.Norm Chow, Ron Rivera, Jimmy Johnson (very unlikely), Pete Carroll (unlikely) . . . I can't think of any other decent candidates out there right now.
Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooch!!!!
Okay, Steve Mariucci, Norv Turner, Jim Mora Jr., Dennis Green . . .Who else?
Art Shell.

Parcells and Cowher are unavailable unless the Chargers come to an arrangement to give compensation to the Cowboys or Steelers.

Norm Chow, Ron Rivera, Jimmy Johnson (very unlikely), Pete Carroll (unlikely) . . . I can't think of any other decent candidates out there right now.
If you wanna crown their ###, then crown' em

Parcells and Cowher are unavailable unless the Chargers come to an arrangement to give compensation to the Cowboys or Steelers.Norm Chow, Ron Rivera, Jimmy Johnson (very unlikely), Pete Carroll (unlikely) . . . I can't think of any other decent candidates out there right now.
MT just curious why you have Carroll ranked as unlikely. I know he tested the waters this offseason w/ Miami. I could imagine him liking the idea of staying on the west coast, and taking a team that is almost a lock to make the playoffs next season. On a side note, any chance Weis would be interested in heading back to the pros?

Wow. Just wow.

I guess no one would want to be the coordinators for Shotty knowing he only had a 1 year contract. With a new HC and a long term contract, assistant coaches may be more willing to come aboard.

Norc Turner would be a great hire here.

He has always had success running the ball (Emmit, Terry Allen, Steven Davis, Frank Gore). Head coaching experience as well.

Singletary?

As a side note, this is interesting timing because NCAA signing day just passed.

Pete Carroll? Jeff Tedford?

Longshots maybe, but it might make some sense.

MT just curious why you have Carroll ranked as unlikely. I know he tested the waters this offseason w/ Miami. I could imagine him liking the idea of staying on the west coast, and taking a team that is almost a lock to make the playoffs next season.
Maybe I'm wrong, but my own hunch is that if Carroll were willing to take the job, the Chargers would have hired him back in January instead of retaining Schottenheimer.

For those of you saying that the Chargers have no offensive coordinator, that may be true if the new head coach wants to fire Clarence Shelmon and bring his own guy in. But as of right now, Shelmon is the OC.

Statement from Dean Spanos Chargers Owner/GM

"Today I made an extremely difficult decision: Marty Schottenheimer is no longer the head coach of the San Diego Chargers.

“This decision was so hard because Marty has been both a friend and valued coach of our team. But my first obligation is always to do what is in the best interest of our fans and the entire Charger organization. I must take whatever steps are necessary to deliver a Super Bowl trophy to San Diego. Events of the last month have now convinced me that it is not possible for our organization to function at a championship level under the current structure. On the contrary, and in the plainest possible language, we have a dysfunctional situation here. Today I am resolving that situation once and for all.

“My decision means that our organization will be obligated to pay the last year of Marty Schottenheimer’s contract and will begin an intense search for a new head coach at this relatively late date, but these are sacrifices that I believe are necessary to give the Chargers the best possible chance to win on the field this season.

“Our fans deserve to know what changed for me over the last month. When I decided to move ahead with Marty Schottenheimer in mid-January, I did so with the expectation that the core of his fine coaching staff would remain intact. Unfortunately, that did not prove to be the case, and the process of dealing with these coaching changes convinced me that we simply could not move forward with such dysfunction between our head coach and general manager. In short, this entire process over the last month convinced me beyond any doubt that I had to act to change this untenable situation and create an environment where everyone at Charger Park would be pulling in the same direction and working at a championship level. I expect exactly that from our entire Charger organization in 2007.”

This season the story was how Marty had become a hands off type of coach who allowed his coordinators more freedom than ever before. Now all of those coordinators are gone leaving the Chargers with Marty in a lameduck year and scraps. As a Charger fan Im glad Spanos has made this decision. A new coach is much more promising than Marty in a lameduck situation.

Singletary?
That one seems more likely as a possible defensive coordinator. Mike Sherman is out there, too, but I'd really rather have Norm Chow.

You are all freaking out a bit too much about this. The San Diego Chargers will be just fine next year. The new HC hire will surprise you though. Stay tuned. :thumbup:

MT just curious why you have Carroll ranked as unlikely. I know he tested the waters this offseason w/ Miami. I could imagine him liking the idea of staying on the west coast, and taking a team that is almost a lock to make the playoffs next season.
Maybe I'm wrong, but my own hunch is that if Carroll were willing to take the job, the Chargers would have hired him back in January instead of retaining Schottenheimer.
Maybe the hot water Carroll has been feeling in LA will get him to move to the pros?The Chargers would probably have to break the bank to sign him, are already paying MS, and may even have to pay USC (I don't know how his contract is written), so this does seem unlikely.

Lets focus on the bigger question here. How does this impact Vincent Jackson and the Markham Floppy Pink Bats organization?

Statement from Dean Spanos:

“Today I made an extremely difficult decision: Marty Schottenheimer is no longer the head coach of the San Diego Chargers.“This decision was so hard because Marty has been both a friend and valued coach of our team. But my first obligation is always to do what is in the best interest of our fans and the entire Charger organization. I must take whatever steps are necessary to deliver a Super Bowl trophy to San Diego. Events of the last month have now convinced me that it is not possible for our organization to function at a championship level under the current structure. On the contrary, and in the plainest possible language, we have a dysfunctional situation here. Today I am resolving that situation once and for all.“My decision means that our organization will be obligated to pay the last year of Marty Schottenheimer’s contract and will begin an intense search for a new head coach at this relatively late date, but these are sacrifices that I believe are necessary to give the Chargers the best possible chance to win on the field this season.“Our fans deserve to know what changed for me over the last month. When I decided to move ahead with Marty Schottenheimer in mid-January, I did so with the expectation that the core of his fine coaching staff would remain intact. Unfortunately, that did not prove to be the case, and the process of dealing with these coaching changes convinced me that we simply could not move forward with such dysfunction between our head coach and general manager. In short, this entire process over the last month convinced me beyond any doubt that I had to act to change this untenable situation and create an environment where everyone at Charger Park would be pulling in the same direction and working at a championship level. I expect exactly that from our entire Charger organization in 2007.”
Straight up stupid!! You don't fire a 14-2 coach. The NFL is getting ridiculous. Only 1 team can win the big one every year. At this rate we are going to have 31 NFL coaches fired every year. Stability has always been key to consitently good frachises and the NFL owners are is losing site of that. Everyone has to win now!!

Carroll has very little interest in the NFL. He is just too happy at SC.

My sources are telling me Jimmy Johnson is on the top of the list right now. He has interest since he can bring in his own staff, the team has a lot of draft choices coming up, the team isn't in shambles, and there is water nearby where he can still go boating. More as I hear it.

“Today I made an extremely difficult decision: Marty Schottenheimer is no longer the head coach of the San Diego Chargers.“This decision was so hard because Marty has been both a friend and valued coach of our team. But my first obligation is always to do what is in the best interest of our fans and the entire Charger organization. I must take whatever steps are necessary to deliver a Super Bowl trophy to San Diego. Events of the last month have now convinced me that it is not possible for our organization to function at a championship level under the current structure. On the contrary, and in the plainest possible language, we have a dysfunctional situation here. Today I am resolving that situation once and for all.“My decision means that our organization will be obligated to pay the last year of Marty Schottenheimer’s contract and will begin an intense search for a new head coach at this relatively late date, but these are sacrifices that I believe are necessary to give the Chargers the best possible chance to win on the field this season.“Our fans deserve to know what changed for me over the last month. When I decided to move ahead with Marty Schottenheimer in mid-January, I did so with the expectation that the core of his fine coaching staff would remain intact. Unfortunately, that did not prove to be the case, and the process of dealing with these coaching changes convinced me that we simply could not move forward with such dysfunction between our head coach and general manager. In short, this entire process over the last month convinced me beyond any doubt that I had to act to change this untenable situation and create an environment where everyone at Charger Park would be pulling in the same direction and working at a championship level. I expect exactly that from our entire Charger organization in 2007.”
Straight up stupid!! You don't fire a 14-2 coach. The NFL is getting ridiculous. Only 1 team can win the big one every year. At this rate we are going to have 31 NFL coaches fired every year. Stability has always been key to consitently good frachises and the NFL owners are is losing site of that. Everyone has to win now!!
With both coordinators gone, and Marty a lame duck coach its not a far fetched move. The complete meltdown in the playoff loss does take away from the 14-2 record. IMO. In 5 years with the Chargers they have zero playoff wins, if they went 16-0 in the regular season next season, I'd walk into the playoffs expecting them to lose the first game. The window for this team to win it all started in 2006, and it was wasted.

With both coordinators gone, and Marty a lame duck coach its not a far fetched move. The complete meltdown in the playoff loss does take away from the 14-2 record. IMO. In 5 years with the Chargers they have zero playoff wins, if they went 16-0 in the regular season next season, I'd walk into the playoffs expecting them to lose the first game. The window for this team to win it all started in 2006, and it was wasted.
Don't fool yourself. This was personel with AJ Smith....thats all.

As a side note, this is interesting timing because NCAA signing day just passed. Pete Carroll? Jeff Tedford? Longshots maybe, but it might make some sense.
Tedford is going nowhere this year. Next year, if the city of Berkeley continues to block the stadium project, he might begin to think about other opportunities.

Carroll has very little interest in the NFL. He is just too happy at SC.
Wasn't Spurrier really happy at UF? I'd think that if he had no interest in going to the pros he wouldn't even waste Miami's time this offseason. Just my opinion, but if the right opportunity presented itself I can see him considering it. Heck I'd think the chance to be the head coach of LT presents a pretty special opportunity for someone.

My guess is Ron Rivera...AJ Smith isn't going to want to bring in a veteran HC who might not respect that this is Smith's show. Rivera clearly was ready, willing and able to leave Chicago and is a free agent right now to boot.

PadresLakers wrote:

This season the story was how Marty had become a hands off type of coach who allowed his coordinators more freedom than ever before. Now all of those coordinators are gone leaving the Chargers with Marty in a lameduck year and scraps. As a Charger fan Im glad Spanos has made this decision. A new coach is much more promising than Marty in a lameduck situation.

Great-great post.

I think AJ Smith is an out of control egomaniac... but gvien the situation they're now in, to salvage their future they need all wagons pulling the same direction.

Lovie Smith? (He's a free agent, right?)Jeff Fisher?
I think Lovie has 1 year left on a pretty cheap deal
The Bears are renegoating Lovies contract. He isn't going nowhere. Tennessee isn't letting J. Fisher go either.
Really, I herd that the GM doesn't really want Lovie as the coach, did he come in after Lovie was already there? Plusthe Bears are cheap, not that the Bolts spend.

Yup, it's got to be somebody with essentially no track record - Smith is in charge there.

I can't see anyone with any kind of successas a NFL head coach coming to work under Smith.

Users who are viewing this thread