What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (4 Viewers)

jpeace121

Footballguy
Andy mentioned starting a new thread for general discussion, so here it is. And here's a juicy bit of news to get it started.

Steven Goff is reporting on his blog that the Zidane to Chicago talks are heating back up. He's saying a decision could come down on Monday. This would INSTANTLY make the Fire a cup contender, as much as I hate to admit that.

Link

Andy mentioned starting a new thread for general discussion, so here it is. And here's a juicy bit of news to get it started.

Steven Goff is reporting on his blog that the Zidane to Chicago talks are heating back up. He's saying a decision could come down on Monday. This would INSTANTLY make the Fire a cup contender, as much as I hate to admit that.

Link
Thanks Jpeace, the Becks thread was all played out.If I hear one more Zidane to MLS rumor, I think my head may explode! :goodposting:

He has been sighted in NY as well talking with Red Bull. I would love to see him end up on the Fire or anywhere really in MLS.

This would be another huge signing for MLS, as thanks to the headbutt, Zidane is actually fairly well known now by even non soccer fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a question for the group.

If you were Sunil, would you continue to wait to interview more coaches after the Euro Season ends or get rid of the "imterim" tag now and hire Bradley and Novak to a 4 year contract?

Link
Thanks Jpeace, the Beckem thread was all played out.If I hear one more Zidane to MLS rumor, I think my head may explode! :thumbup:

He has been sighted in NY as well talking with Red Bull. I would love to see him end up on the Fire or anywhere really in MLS.

This would be another huge signing for MLS, as thanks to the headbutt, Zidane is actually fairly well known now by even non soccer fans.
ZIZOU!! That'd be awesome. Did Claudio use the Red Bulls Beckham exemption?

That'd be awesome. Did Claudio use the Red Bulls Beckham exemption?
yes, Claudio used the Designated Player slot (ie the Beckham rule) for NY.But remember that NY has two DP slots as they traded Amado Guevara to Chivas USA for Chivas's DP slot.Rumor has it that both Rivaldo and Delgado are being looked at by NY to fill the second DP slot.

Here is a question for the group.If you were Sunil, would you continue to wait to interview more coaches after the Euro Season ends or get rid of the "imterim" tag now and hire Bradley and Novak to a 4 year contract?
Sunil has already screwed this up so badly and he's put Bradley in a really difficult position. I realize the WC is still 3.5 years away, but that time can fly by. Right now, we should be working on building up young players for the team -- but you can't really blame Bradley if he wants to try to win now.What does all this mean? Who knows? I guess it depends on who Sunil thinks he can get as the coach if he waits. Having said that, you'd like to see US Soccer get behind one coach and one philosophy as soon as possible. Not much of an answer, more of a flip flop. I guess I'm not really sure what I'd do. I'd need more info.

What's everyone's thoughts on this Gold Cup/Copa America dilemma? Obviously you want to win that tournament to get a bid to the Confed Cup in 2009, but do you send a weakened squad to S America just to get into the Confed Cup, which is pretty overrated as it is?

IMO, the Copa America is a more prestigious tournament and should be taken much more seriously than the Gold Cup, which they could possibly win with a B-team anyway.

What do you footie guys think of Luciano Emilio, the Brazilian forward who DC United just signed with one of their exceptions? He immediately scored 2 or 3 goals in his first exhibition game. The guy was the leading scorer in some Central American league and played for a Div 3 team in Germany for several years. United needs some scoring.

Here is a question for the group.If you were Sunil, would you continue to wait to interview more coaches after the Euro Season ends or get rid of the "imterim" tag now and hire Bradley and Novak to a 4 year contract?
Sunil has already screwed this up so badly and he's put Bradley in a really difficult position. I realize the WC is still 3.5 years away, but that time can fly by. Right now, we should be working on building up young players for the team -- but you can't really blame Bradley if he wants to try to win now.What does all this mean? Who knows? I guess it depends on who Sunil thinks he can get as the coach if he waits. Having said that, you'd like to see US Soccer get behind one coach and one philosophy as soon as possible. Not much of an answer, more of a flip flop. I guess I'm not really sure what I'd do. I'd need more info.
I actually don't think this is as big of an issue as some make it up to be...Bradley basically knows every domestic US player and is also coaching the U-23 team, so it's not like he's not getting the chance to see the young guys. The only real hinderence is he's really not in a position to look at some of the younger Euro-based guys, but it's not like they'd be coming over for the camps at this point anyway.

What's everyone's thoughts on this Gold Cup/Copa America dilemma? Obviously you want to win that tournament to get a bid to the Confed Cup in 2009, but do you send a weakened squad to S America just to get into the Confed Cup, which is pretty overrated as it is? IMO, the Copa America is a more prestigious tournament and should be taken much more seriously than the Gold Cup, which they could possibly win with a B-team anyway.
wow, you summed up my feeling 100% on this topic!And yet, there seems to be indications that the Gold Cup will have the better roster because of the Confed Cup implications (which no one in the World cares about).Seriously, making the semi's in the Copa America would mean more internationally by itself than the US winning the Gold Cup AND then making the semi's at the Confed Cup combined.I think the US could win the Gold Cup (depending on the guests) with an experimental non MLS lineup. Its not like they have a shortage of players to choose from just overseas alone. And there would likely be some MLS players that could be called up that were not included in the Copa roster.Here is a list of overseas (ie non MLS) players Beasley, DaMarcus Mid/Fwd Manchester City (England)Berhalter, Gregg Defender 1860 Munich (Germany)Bocanegra, Carlos Defender Fulham (England)Borchers, Nat Defender Odd Grenland (Norway)Bradley, Michael Midfielder Heerenveen (Holland)Brown, Adin Goalkeeper Aalesunds FK (Norway)Califf, Danny Defender Aalborg BK (Denmark)Cherundolo, Steve Defender Hannover 96 (Germany)Convey, Bobby Midfielder Reading (England)Corrales, Ramiro Def/Mid Brann (Norway)Davies, Charlie Forward Hammarby IF (Sweden)DeMerit, Jay Defender Watford (England)Dempsey, Clint Mid/Fwd Fulham (England)Dombrowski, Tighe Defender IK Sirius (Sweden)Enochs, Joe Midfielder VfL Osnabrück (Germany)Fearrington, Jamil Defender FC Copenhagen (Denmark)Feilhaber, Benny Midfielder Hamburg SV (Germany)Ferrari, Gabriel Forward Sampdoria (Italy)Friedel, Brad Goalkeeper Blackburn Rovers (England)Gibbs, Cory Defender Charlton Athletic (England)Grenier, Josh Defender TuS Koblenz (Germany)Hahnemann, Marcus Goalkeeper Reading (England)Hall, Tally Goalkeeper Esbjerg (Denmark)Hill, Kamani Forward VfL Wolfsburg (Germany)Howard, Tim Goalkeeper Everton (England)Johnson, Jemal Forward Wolverhampton (England)Joy, Ian Defender FC St. Pauli (Germany)Kazlauskas, Charles Def/Fwd TOP Oss (Holland)Keller, Kasey Goalkeeper Borussia Mönchengladbach (Germany)Lewis, Eddie Midfielder Leeds United (England)Mason, Michael Mid/Fwd KSV Hessen Kassel (Germany)McBride, Brian Forward Fulham (England)Nguyen, Lee Mid/Fwd PSV Eindhoven (Holland)Ochoa, Sammy Forward UAG Tecos (Mexico)Onyewu, Oguchi Defender Newcastle United (England)Pearce, Heath Def/Mid FC Nordsjælland (Denmark)Purdy, Steve Defender 1860 Munich II (Germany)Robles, Luis Goalkeeper Kaiserslautern II (Germany)Rogers, Robbie Mid/Fwd Heerenveen (Holland)Russell, Robbie Def/Mid Viborg (Denmark)Simek, Frankie Defender Sheffield Wednesday (England)Smith, Johann Forward Carlisle United (England)Spector, Jonathan Defender West Ham United (England)Waltrip, Brian Mid/Fwd Sogndal (Norway)Weaver, Cam Forward FK Haugesund (Norway)West, Brian Mid/Fwd Fredrikstad (Norway)Westberg, Quentin Goalkeeper Troyes (France)Whitbread, Zak Defender Millwall (England)White, Jeremiah Mid/Fwd AGF Århus (Denmark)Wolff, Josh Forward 1860 Munich (Germany)Yelldell, David Goalkeeper Stuttgart Kickers (Germany)Zewe, Joe Forward Viborg (Denmark)Zimmerman, Preston Forward Hamburg SV II (Germany)

What do you footie guys think of Luciano Emilio, the Brazilian forward who DC United just signed with one of their exceptions? He immediately scored 2 or 3 goals in his first exhibition game. The guy was the leading scorer in some Central American league and played for a Div 3 team in Germany for several years. United needs some scoring.
This guy is going to rock for DC United. He was the leading scorer for a couple of years in Honduras.With Gomez pulling the strings and Moreno still commanding enough attention, Emilio should be in the running for top goal scorer with Ching and Twellman I bet.

I actually don't think this is as big of an issue as some make it up to be...Bradley basically knows every domestic US player and is also coaching the U-23 team, so it's not like he's not getting the chance to see the young guys. The only real hinderence is he's really not in a position to look at some of the younger Euro-based guys, but it's not like they'd be coming over for the camps at this point anyway.
That under the premise that Bradley will even be the coach this summer of the senior side (he is the full time coach of the U23's at least)Sunil was pretty clear during the Mexico game interview that he was waiting until May to start the interview process again.

What's everyone's thoughts on this Gold Cup/Copa America dilemma? Obviously you want to win that tournament to get a bid to the Confed Cup in 2009, but do you send a weakened squad to S America just to get into the Confed Cup, which is pretty overrated as it is? IMO, the Copa America is a more prestigious tournament and should be taken much more seriously than the Gold Cup, which they could possibly win with a B-team anyway.
wow, you summed up my feeling 100% on this topic!And yet, there seems to be indications that the Gold Cup will have the better roster because of the Confed Cup implications (which no one in the World cares about).Seriously, making the semi's in the Copa America would mean more internationally by itself than the US winning the Gold Cup AND then making the semi's at the Confed Cup combined.I think the US could win the Gold Cup (depending on the guests) with an experimental non MLS lineup. Its not like they have a shortage of players to choose from just overseas alone. And there would likely be some MLS players that could be called up that were not included in the Copa roster.
I'd also like to see our best having to deal with essentially road games against some of the best teams in the world versus home games against CONCACAF also rans

This guy is going to rock for DC United. He was the leading scored for a couple of years in Honduras.With Gomez pulling the strings and Moreno still commanding enough attention, Emilio should be in the running for top goal scorer with Ching and Twellman I bet.
:unsure:Emilio will bring United the kind of attacker they've needed - one who will face the goal and attack defensive players. He will be a great compliment to Moreno and Gomez, who are both much better at creating attacks and distributing the ball than taking defenders on individually. Now, if United would just bring in a winger and some depth, maybe we can win the cup back this year!Andy, as for the whole USMNT coach thing, envision the absolute worst thing that Gulati could do. That's what will probably happen. :thumbup: I think Bradley should be given the permanent position. I don't like the idea of Houllier or Quieroz or Peckerman coming in at this point. The only sure thing is that there's only one person who could make this more of a mess than it's already been, and that's Gulati. :unsure:

I'd also like to see our best having to deal with essentially road games against some of the best teams in the world versus home games against CONCACAF also rans
This is another good point. Even in CONCACAF, the away games cause the US problems. Although to my dieing day I will argue with any Euro snob that playing in Honduras or Costa Rica in front of 30k fans throwing batteries and urine at you is significantly harder than playing away to many of the Euro also rans in front of 2000 polite fans.

This thread could go in 1,000 directions, but oh well...

Anyone going to the U-20 World Cup this summer? It's being held across Canada starting June 30th. With some soccer buddies we've got tickets for all Toronto events, which includes the Final, 18 rows up at midfield :unsure:

Andy, as for the whole USMNT coach thing, envision the absolute worst thing that Gulati could do. That's what will probably happen. :unsure: I think Bradley should be given the permanent position. I don't like the idea of Houllier or Quieroz or Peckerman coming in at this point. The only sure thing is that there's only one person who could make this more of a mess than it's already been, and that's Gulati. :hot:
:unsure: :thumbup: Being a Revs fan and having known Sunil since before WC1994, I will agree strongly with you that he has made a freaking mess of this coaching situation. He was brought in to keep the professional image US Soccer has garnered since WC1994 and instead he seems intent on returning us to the mom and pop shop we worked so hard at getting out of.

That under the premise that Bradley will even be the coach this summer of the senior side (he is the full time coach of the U23's at least)Sunil was pretty clear during the Mexico game interview that he was waiting until May to start the interview process again.
Well my point...though after re-reading it, I didn't make it...was that with the current US setup, even if you had hired Klinseman (or whoever) instead of Bradley, they wouldn't have been able to bloody young guys anyway. The domestic U-20s were off qualifying, the Euro young guys are fighting for playing time in Europe, and 99% of the MLS guys are pretty well scouted as it is. I'm just not sure it matters this far out who the coach is in terms of WC 2010, and it certainly doesn't in terms of qualifying (as shown by the team that just beat Mexico). Everyone likes to believe that Sunil's superhire will be able to "find" a superstar, but more than likely, we just don't have that superstar to find. As much as people don't want to admit it, Donovan, Gooch, and Howard are still our best players and unless Adu turns it on over the next year or two, will be come the next WC. All that being said there could be loads of 16-18 year olds I just don't know about.

This thread could go in 1,000 directions, but oh well...Anyone going to the U-20 World Cup this summer? It's being held across Canada starting June 30th. With some soccer buddies we've got tickets for all Toronto events, which includes the Final, 18 rows up at midfield :thumbup:
yah the thread will likely be all over the place but as long as the trolls stay out, it should be fine.Will you be watching the games in the new Toronto FC stadium?I am not planning on going but I will watch all the US games at least on TV. I am very interested to see if Freddy can step it up and put the team on his back this summer.

What do y'all know about Jozy Altidore? Is he really "NEXT!"? I haven't followed the MLS too closely.

This thread could go in 1,000 directions, but oh well...Anyone going to the U-20 World Cup this summer? It's being held across Canada starting June 30th. With some soccer buddies we've got tickets for all Toronto events, which includes the Final, 18 rows up at midfield :banned:
yah the thread will likely be all over the place but as long as the trolls stay out, it should be fine.Will you be watching the games in the new Toronto FC stadium?I am not planning on going but I will watch all the US games at least on TV. I am very interested to see if Freddy can step it up and put the team on his back this summer.
Yes, the Toronto events will be held at the Toronto FC stadium, BMO Field. I became a Toronto FC member ($50) so we could jump the line on the WC tickets. Anxiously waiting for the final 2 CONCACAF qualifying teams to be decided so they can draw the groups. Groups A and C are playing primarily in Toronto, so hopefully those are competitive groups.

What do y'all know about Jozy Altidore? Is he really "NEXT!"? I haven't followed the MLS too closely.
I think El Floppo is a Red Bull fan and he might be able to give you more info.I personally have some serious man-boy love for the kid. He can flat out play. The fact that he won't stop growing is fabulous IMO. I read somewhere that he grew almost 2 inches in the offseason.Hopefully he can get some solid playing time for NY this year and make a statement to be blooded sometime in the future for the US team.He has the size, speed and skill that someone like Donovan could really use as a running mate when Landon enters his prime in a couple of years.That being said, this is all going off of only a couple of games I saw him play in. I will have a much better feel for him later on this summer should Da Bruce have him as a regular in the lineup. Note that he also has a good chance of being a starter on the U20 side in Toronto this summer in the U20 WC

Everyone likes to believe that Sunil's superhire will be able to "find" a superstar, but more than likely, we just don't have that superstar to find. As much as people don't want to admit it, Donovan, Gooch, and Howard are still our best players and unless Adu turns it on over the next year or two, will be come the next WC. All that being said there could be loads of 16-18 year olds I just don't know about.
1) This is the tell year for Adu. He is no longer a kid. He is out from under Novak's tough love and will be given the keys to the car for the very first time. Its put up or shut up time for him at both RSL as well as the U20 World Cup this summer.2) I think its more than just 16-18 year olds. Honestly, at this time last year, only the most fanatical of fans had ever heard for Jonathan Bornstein. Here was are one year later after a brilliant rookie season in MLS and two caps for the US, and people are already wondering if he can be the left back of the future now. There are likely to be a few more Bornstein like players who won't blossom until they have a shot in MLS or even in the lower leagues of Europe. Between MLS, the college game, Generation Adidas, and the long list of overseas players, I would not be surprised if by the final round of 2010 qualifying that there will be 5-7 players that as of last year, none of us had ever heard of, that will be important parts of the roster.

The Houston Dynamo has yet again made history, this time on the broadcasting front. In 2007, the Dynamo will have the most extensive broadcast schedule in Major League Soccer, airing more content than any other team in league history.

All 30 of the Dynamo's MLS games will be broadcast on TV and radio. Through a combination of mediums, channels and languages, there will be a total of 99 unique game broadcasts. Games will be televised on eight different stations, including ESPN2, Channel 55, TV Informa Channel 43, Fox Soccer Channel, Fox Sports Español, TeleFutura, Galavision and HDNet. Games will be radiocast on three different stations, including 790 AM The Sports Animal and 850 AM and 101.7 FM La Norteña.

"This is another sign of how hot the Dynamo brand is right now," said team president and general manager, Oliver Luck. "To be on the air as often as we are is an indication of our team's popularity and of the market's interest."

Dynamo games will be available on 52 different telecasts: 29 in English and 23 in Spanish, constituting 129 hours of on-air exposure. This unprecedented and historic amount of coverage has never before been seen with any other team in MLS.

The following is a breakdown the Dynamo's historic broadcast schedule:

20 of the 30 regular season games will be broadcast on national television:

A) 5 by Telefutura

B) 6 by Fox Soccer Channel and Fox Sports Español

C) 4 by ESPN2

D) 4 by HDNet

E) 1 by Galavision

15 of the 30 regular season games will be broadcast on local television:

A) 15 on KTBU Channel 55

B) 11 on KHLM TV Informa 43

Games will be aired on 790 AM The Sports Animal (English), and 850 AM & 101.7 FM La Norteña (Spanish)

A) 12 of the 30 games will be available exclusively in Spanish

B) 18 of the 30 games will be broadcast in both English and Spanish

The Dynamo will also have additional television exposure via weekly magazine shows on Channel 55 (TBA) and Channel 43 ("Dynamo TV"), which will constitute 30 hours of on-air exposure. Combining game broadcasts and magazine shows, television coverage will total 159 hours of air time, which equals a total of over six continuous days.

Additional radio exposure will be generated through 60 hours of on-air content with weekly shows on 790 AM ("Dynamo Power Hour") and 850 AM & 101.7 FM ("La Hora del Dynamo").

In total, the Dynamo will have a total of 339 hours of broadcast airtime, which is equivalent to 14 days of continuous coverage.

In addition, the Houston Dynamo will also appear in a minimum of five games on National Television between CONCACAF Champions Cup and SuperLiga. The Houston Dynamo will start its 2007 season on Sunday, April 8, at 6:00 p.m. CT against the Los Angeles Galaxy. To purchase tickets, please call the Houston Dynamo Ticket Line, at 713-276-7500, or log on to www.houstondynamo.com.

I found something cool online for those that want to watch Fox Soccer Channel at work or at home if you don't get the channel.

http://freetube.110mb.com/

Go to the left hand column and choose "sports" and then scroll down and choose the Fox Soccer Channel.

As far as I can tell this is all free and legit. Cool huh?

I found something cool online for those that want to watch Fox Soccer Channel at work or at home if you don't get the channel.

http://freetube.110mb.com/

Go to the left hand column and choose "sports" and then scroll down and choose the Fox Soccer Channel.

As far as I can tell this is all free and legit. Cool huh?
This site is awesome. I get FSC at home, but when I'm in apartment at college, I miss all of my teams' games. Thanks a lot!

Thank god! I was getting tired of posting in the damn Becks thread- nice work getting this goin JPeace!

This might be a honda, but here goes the Copa America lineup for the US:

"The United States will face Argentina, Colombia and Paraguay in Copa America group play beginning June 28 in Maracaibo, Venezuela, after the schedule for the South American championship was released on Wednesday."

Damn. Argentina AND Colombia. Once again, the US should be looking to at least get a point out of this... but could walk away winless, depending on who they send. And like you guys, I'd prefer to see an "A" team get sent down there rather the Gold Cup. Cleaning up against Haiti, Granada or whoever plays in the Gold Cup doesn't really help our team or our players (unless they're lower tier guys looking for exposure).

Andy- GREAT to see that list of US guys overseas- don't know a lot of them. I try and check in on Yanks Abroad when I remember, but that's not that often. I agree with you- chances are really good that between now and next year some name none of us has heard of could be making noise on the national scene. Not many countries can say that, good or bad.

Jozy Altidore.... Wish I could say I've seen more of him than you, Andy. Didn't get to see him play live last year (he joined up late), so I can't speak to his off the ball work or how the team works around him, but he looks unbelievably mature out there from what I've seen- and fearless. I really like that he's got some size to go with those skills- ultimately Beasley's downfall, IMO. He's obviously still young (17) and fairly raw- so the sky's the limit for him (although I just heard a report that he's looking either injured or just lazy in the preseason games so far). I can't wait to see what he does this year.

I can only agree that the Copa America should be the #1 priority for the US right now. Awesome to see that Venezuela is hosting too. That country is in the same boat as the US... needing to give up its beisbol kick.

I can only agree that the Copa America should be the #1 priority for the US right now. Awesome to see that Venezuela is hosting too.
Here is an interesting piece on the conundrum between sending the "A" squad and the "B" squad. http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story...=us&cc=5901

One interesting thing to note that with regulars like McBride, Pope, Reyna and Keller all retired from international play, picking an "A" squad is not as obvious as it used to be. It could very well end up that both squads are pretty well balanced.

who would you guys pick as your usmnt starting 11 right now? is the majority of the team usually made up of guys that play in europe?

who would you guys pick as your usmnt starting 11 right now? is the majority of the team usually made up of guys that play in europe?
With the team in a transition period this is a very hard question.If I had only one game to play and did not have to worry about the future, I guess I would put the following side outHowardCherundolo Conrad Gooch BornsteinDempsey Clark Donovan ConveyChing Wolff4-4-2 with a diamond midfield with Landon at the top of the diamond and Clark playing the anchor role.In this lineup (and with probably most lineups) they players are relatively evenly split between MLS and Europe.Andy

With the team in a transition period this is a very hard question.If I had only one game to play and did not have to worry about the future, I guess I would put the following side outHowardCherundolo Conrad Gooch BornsteinDempsey Clark Donovan ConveyChing Wolff4-4-2 with a diamond midfield with Landon at the top of the diamond and Clark playing the anchor role.In this lineup (and with probably most lineups) they players are relatively evenly split between MLS and Europe.Andy
Interesting lineup Andy, :) Gotta say- I didn't know that McBride had retired from the USMNT... shame. A couple of names missing from your lineup- E Johnson and Beasley. I think I get why, though- EJ just doesn't seem to partner well with anybody up front, and Beasley... I think you take whoever's in form between him and Convey- but Beasley hasn't seemed to be in form since before the WC. At this point in that lineup, I like Cherundulo the most- a guy who gets it done on both sides of the ball, and the best overall crosser of the ball on that lineup.

A couple of names missing from your lineup- E Johnson and Beasley. I think I get why, though- EJ just doesn't seem to partner well with anybody up front, and Beasley... I think you take whoever's in form between him and Convey- but Beasley hasn't seemed to be in form since before the WC. At this point in that lineup, I like Cherundulo the most- a guy who gets it done on both sides of the ball, and the best overall crosser of the ball on that lineup.
Hi El Floppo,Believe me, if you told me 2 years ago that at the beginning of 2007 I could have written out a lineup with out EJ and DMB in it, I would have called you crazy.But 2 years on, EJ has shown less than nothing when out there but at the club and international level. He likely has more talent in one foot than Ching and Twellman do combined, but his results do not equate to that potential level.DMB and Convey are a toss up for me and I agree with you that just taking the on form player makes the most sense until one of them can claim the position through deeds.

Even though this thread has been dominated by US soccer talk, its worth mentioning that the UEFA Champions League starts back up this week on ESPN2 if people need to fire up the DVR's

ESPN2

PSV Eindhoven vs Arsenal FC

Tue., Feb. 20 at 2:30 pm ET

FC Porto vs Chelsea FC

Wed., Feb. 21 at 2:30 pm ET

And there is a cracker highlight show on Friday afternoon on ESPN2 (3:00pm?), that shows highlights from every single game.

My daughter (12) is an excellent soccer player and I love watching her play. She is athletic, tough, a vocal team leader, has a great understanding of the game and excellent field awareness. I hope she never gives it up.

Thank you. That is all.

Even though this thread has been dominated by US soccer talk, its worth mentioning that the UEFA Champions League starts back up this week on ESPN2 if people need to fire up the DVR'sESPN2PSV Eindhoven vs Arsenal FCTue., Feb. 20 at 2:30 pm ETFC Porto vs Chelsea FCWed., Feb. 21 at 2:30 pm ETAnd there is a cracker highlight show on Friday afternoon on ESPN2 (3:00pm?), that shows highlights from every single game.
gb working from home- I'll be all over both those games!And regarding EJ... I think he's a guy that misses out on being in a european league. He's always seemed lazy to me... the injuries he's always picking up seem like those born out of lack of fitness and/or lack of time spent doing PT. He's a guy who seems like (I've obviously never met him or watched him practice, so I'm speaking from my ### here) he can skate by because he's got enough talent and natural athletic ability to not lose his spot in MLS. If he had to fight tooth and nail for that spot every day (as he would in Europe) in practice, he might learn a different work ethic that would raise his level and keep him healthier.Speaking of injured... another person who still might figure into things is John O'Brien. Is he still with Chivas? I never got to see him play last year... how'd he do in MLS?

Speaking of injured... another person who still might figure into things is John O'Brien. Is he still with Chivas? I never got to see him play last year... how'd he do in MLS?
There was good reason you never got to see him play. Thats because he barely saw the field.His entire 2006 season was 1 game played, 5 total minutes of action :lmao:I have never in all my years as a sports fan seen a player more fragile and more unlucky than Obie.Very sad too because he still, in the monumentally small windows that he is healthy and fit, provides a level of technique that is devoid in most US players. If you look back at my lineup, a healthy Obie would be a natural fit for the role that Clark is trying to grow into now.Sadly, he is a player with out a club right now. Considering his skills and age(29), that speaks volumes to his lack of ability to remain healthy for even a couple of games. If he can regain any sort of fitness level, almost every MLS team would jump quickly to roster him.

Speaking of injured... another person who still might figure into things is John O'Brien. Is he still with Chivas? I never got to see him play last year... how'd he do in MLS?
There was good reason you never got to see him play. Thats because he barely saw the field.His entire 2006 season was 1 game played, 5 total minutes of action :)I have never in all my years as a sports fan seen a player more fragile and more unlucky than Obie.Very sad too because he still, in the monumentally small windows that he is healthy and fit, provides a level of technique that is devoid in most US players. If you look back at my lineup, a healthy Obie would be a natural fit for the role that Clark is trying to grow into now.Sadly, he is a player with out a club right now. Considering his skills and age(29), that speaks volumes to his lack of ability to remain healthy for even a couple of games. If he can regain any sort of fitness level, almost every MLS team would jump quickly to roster him.
:loco: That is SAD. Can't imagine a guy of that level being unsigned- especially in the MLS. Speaks volumes about everything you mentioned. Is it still his achilles? Whatever- I'd love for the MetroBulls to sign for when Reyna goes down... :rolleyes:

Even though this thread has been dominated by US soccer talk, its worth mentioning that the UEFA Champions League starts back up this week on ESPN2 if people need to fire up the DVR'sESPN2PSV Eindhoven vs Arsenal FCTue., Feb. 20 at 2:30 pm ETFC Porto vs Chelsea FCWed., Feb. 21 at 2:30 pm ETAnd there is a cracker highlight show on Friday afternoon on ESPN2 (3:00pm?), that shows highlights from every single game.
Here is the whole schedule for the next 2 days:
Code:
Matchday 7 - Tuesday, 20 FebruaryHome				   Away   Celtic		  2:45  Milan PSV			 2:45  Arsenal Lille		   2:45  Man. United Real Madrid	 2:45  Bayern Matchday 7 - Wednesday, 21 FebruaryHome				   Away   Roma			2:45  Lyon Barcelona	   2:45  Liverpool Porto		   2:45  Chelsea Internazionale  2:45  Valencia
All times Eastern.

My daughter (12) is an excellent soccer player and I love watching her play. She is athletic, tough, a vocal team leader, has a great understanding of the game and excellent field awareness. I hope she never gives it up.Thank you. That is all.
Been almost 3 hours and nobody's asked to see Pics... the soccer thread is one classy hang-out.

:rolleyes: That is SAD. Can't imagine a guy of that level being unsigned- especially in the MLS. Speaks volumes about everything you mentioned. Is it still his achilles?
The achilles was the latest but over the years he has broken, sprained, and torn all too many different parts of his body.It is like he is made of glass. :lmao:One of the reasons he is with out a team right now is that he used up a max salary slot last year which no one can afford for a 5 minute a year player obviously.Two things need to happen for him to get back on an MLS squad1) He will need to train with a squad for a couple of weeks to show some sort of fitness level2) Take a drastic cut in pay with some sort of provision that he will get paid if he has enough appearances.I am not sure of Chivas still controls his rights, but as of today, he shows up on no MLS preseason roster and is not listed in the active player list on MLS's web site.

Here is the whole schedule for the next 2 days:
Code:
Matchday 7 - Tuesday, 20 FebruaryHome				   Away   Celtic		  2:45  Milan PSV			 2:45  Arsenal Lille		   2:45  Man. United Real Madrid	 2:45  Bayern Matchday 7 - Wednesday, 21 FebruaryHome				   Away   Roma			2:45  Lyon Barcelona	   2:45  Liverpool Porto		   2:45  Chelsea Internazionale  2:45  Valencia
All times Eastern.
I posted this in the wagering thread, but it applies better here.US TV listings (ET)...
Code:
Tuesday------------2:30 PSV Eindhoven vs Arsenal (Live) -- ESPN22:30 Lille vs. Manchester United (Live) -- Setanta5:00 Real Madrid vs. Bayern Munich (SDC) -- Setanta	 10:00 Real Madrid vs. Bayern Munich (SDC) -- ESPN Classicnot shown: Celtic vs. AC Milan Wednesday------------------2:30 Porto vs Chelsea (Live) -- ESPN22:30 Barcelona vs. Liverpool (Live) -- Setanta	 10:00 Barcelona vs. Liverpool (SDC) -- ESPN Classic9:00 Inter Milan vs. Valencia (SDC) -- Setantanot shown: Roma vs. Lyon

Goff is trying to break an important story tonight.

From his blog

"Having said that, I just might have a good story for you late tonight with significant U.S. soccer implications. Be sure to check the main sports page at www.washingtonpost.com before bedtime."

He has let it be known that it does not involve the head coaching position. I am guessing it has something to do with either WC2010 (South Africa is having significant issues) or perhaps official announcement that they will bid on a future World Cup

andy_b said:
ESPN2PSV Eindhoven vs Arsenal FCTue., Feb. 20 at 2:30 pm ETFC Porto vs Chelsea FCWed., Feb. 21 at 2:30 pm ET
Once again ESPN shows that we have to have all the English sides eliminated before we get to see some of the other matches. They almost always will show the English sides live. I realize the US is, at least for now, a mostly English speaking country, but matchups between other European sides can be attractive too.

andy_b said:
ESPN2PSV Eindhoven vs Arsenal FCTue., Feb. 20 at 2:30 pm ETFC Porto vs Chelsea FCWed., Feb. 21 at 2:30 pm ET
Once again ESPN shows that we have to have all the English sides eliminated before we get to see some of the other matches. They almost always will show the English sides live. I realize the US is, at least for now, a mostly English speaking country, but matchups between other European sides can be attractive too.
:( I thought these were two of the least interesting matchups this round. Barca Liverpool would have been better- and that's got an English team in it. I was hoping to see Lyon v Roma- that looks to be the game of the round, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread