What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

So my BIL and his two sons (ages 12 and 14) recently did a nice little football tour in Europe. They saw the Aleti / Real derby in Madrid, the Arsenal / Leicester City EPL game, the Chelsea / Everton EPL game, and the Barça / Levante la liga game. All in 8 days. I'm sure the tickets cost him a pretty penny, but the photos he has from the games are awesome. I'm insanely jealous.

LFP investigating Barca fans for chanting "Cristiano is a drunk" during the Levante game.

Ronaldo doesn't play for Levante, and he's probably going through a tough time with his gf leaving him, but, c'mon.

lol at those MU goals... 1st one- totally agree with whoever is saying that the GK is compromised by Rooney's presence- even has a stutter the wrong way thinking that as Rooney moves out of the way, he's actually going to deflect it.

2nd- they don't always call it- unless it's Crouch- but Fro was all over the defender's back on the header... could have just as easily been called a foul and not many people would complain.

3rd- Rooney dived.

They were the better team, but not by a lot. PNE deserved better, IMO.

I'm fine with the first goal being called legal as it fits every thing I've heard about the new points of emphasis about passive offsides. Rooney doesn't move toward the ball. The keeper isn't unsighted. We could argue that it should be called the other way, but FIFA made a conscious choice to have refs start calling it this way.

Rooney dove. But if he'd been at all competent in dragging his trailing leg, its still a penalty.

I'd have loved for PNE to win, not only because its an easier draw for Arsenal, but for the Bad News Barrett references I would have dropped all over the thread. But I thought Man U was the much better team.

Oh well Jordan Ibe will play Europa League, and put Markovic in for EPL games. Seems like a ridiculous ban though.

lol:

After a cagey start to today's Champions League headliner—Paris Saint-Germain vs. Chelsea—the Londoners dusted off some of the silky skills they've shown all season. One Blues player collected the ball out wide, sent a peach of a cross into the box, where a teammate deftly flipped it over the defense with the outside of his boot for the big man up front to nod home.

Wait, it wasn't Eden Hazard to Cesc Fàbregas to Diego Costa? And it was...John Terry, Gary Cahill, and Branislav Ivanović?! That's a goal description you aren't likely to see ever again.
sauce: http://screamer.deadspin.com/three-defenders-combine-for-games-nicest-move-to-put-ch-1686362132

Jose will take that, but he has to be feeling very, very fortunate. Matuidi was the alpha beast in a midfield battle teeming with beasts. Wonder how many dumptrucks of money Arsenal would need to back up to the Parc des Princes to pry him away in the summer.

lol:

After a cagey start to today's Champions League headliner—Paris Saint-Germain vs. Chelsea—the Londoners dusted off some of the silky skills they've shown all season. One Blues player collected the ball out wide, sent a peach of a cross into the box, where a teammate deftly flipped it over the defense with the outside of his boot for the big man up front to nod home.

Wait, it wasn't Eden Hazard to Cesc Fàbregas to Diego Costa? And it was...John Terry, Gary Cahill, and Branislav Ivanović?! That's a goal description you aren't likely to see ever again.
sauce: http://screamer.deadspin.com/three-defenders-combine-for-games-nicest-move-to-put-ch-1686362132
(Your "I thought Chelsea sold David Luiz" joke here)

Jose will take that, but he has to be feeling very, very fortunate. Matuidi was the alpha beast in a midfield battle teeming with beasts. Wonder how many dumptrucks of money Arsenal would need to back up to the Parc des Princes to pry him away in the summer.
I don't watch PSG very often but every time I do I come away really impressed with Matuidi. It seems like he's simultaneously playing about three different positions.

To engage in a racist chant in someone else's country takes a lot of...

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

...Gaulle.

(⌐■_■),

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol:

Lol what a great goal. Great fun today. Two Hearted ale all afternoon. I can't understand how PSG isn't dominating League 1.

It's amazing Marquinos is only 20.

Y'all hear that Atlético wants to buy Santi Cazorla this summer? After the debacle against Celta, I can see why they would want another attacking midfielder. Although, that might mean that rumours of Arda's departure are true. It would be mostly a like for like swap if that were to happen.

@KevinKCBS3: Alright, i'll confirm, the Union are close to acquiring FC Nantes striker Fernando Aristeguieta on loan. @UnionRumors @MLSTransfers

Z, this guy's got some caps for Venezuela. Anything to see here?

The Z Machine said:
Y'all hear that Atlético wants to buy Santi Cazorla this summer? After the debacle against Celta, I can see why they would want another attacking midfielder. Although, that might mean that rumours of Arda's departure are true. It would be mostly a like for like swap if that were to happen.
I've been reading that Arsenal may want to move Ozil inside and let him play as a true #10, but Cazorla limits that capability. Not that they can't play Ozil there now, but they want to get Cazorla on the field too. I guess his market value is pretty high right now. I believe he's under contract until 2018.

Caught the PSG/Chelsea game last night. I can't recall having seen PSG play in recent memory, so it's always nice to catch a fresh team every so often.

I'm not sure how I feel about their formation. I thought Matuidi's workrate was great and he was everywhere in central midfield, but I can't help but feel they'd have more attacking bite with a second true CM rather than Luiz lying back with the center backs. I suppose Verratti is a CM too, but he was as all-over-the-place as I've seen a player in recent memory. Conceptually, it sounds correct to play for the wings with Van der Wiel and Maxwell (who I know very little about, but came away very impressed with his performance) when you have Cavani and Ibra in the middle, but it looked so unbalanced at times. You'd see the ball out with Van der Wiel in the Chelsea final 3rd, and there wouldn't be a single PSG player in the middle of the field between the top of the 18 and the midfield circle. It's like they actively avoided playing through the middle at all costs. Was this their way of showing deference to Chelsea's back four or is this how they always play? I have no idea.

It was nice to see them get the equalizer as Chelsea seemed to start parking the bus in the second half (go figure). I thought it was a pretty fair result though....Chelsea controlled most of the first half, PSG most of the second. They had a few half-chances that they couldn't finish, Cavani's toe-poke comes to mind.

Game was a little boring at times overall, but had enough to keep me interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure how I feel about their formation. I thought Matuidi's workrate was great and he was everywhere in central midfield, but I can't help but feel they'd have more attacking bite with a second true CM rather than Luiz lying back with the center backs. I suppose Verratti is a CM too, but he was as all-over-the-place as I've seen a player in recent memory.
They had all sorts of injuries... I wonder what they would have looked like with a full squad?

The Z Machine said:
I've been reading that Arsenal may want to move Ozil inside and let him play as a true #10, but Cazorla limits that capability. Not that they can't play Ozil there now, but they want to get Cazorla on the field too. I guess his market value is pretty high right now. I believe he's under contract until 2018.
Now that the team is generally healthy, you're seeing what Ozil can do on the left. He's just as effective now as he was for Germany in the World Cup, maybe more so actually as he seems to be more involved in scoring.

The thing about Arsenal formations anyway is that they should be more loosely interpreted than those of other teams given the players' freedom to roam, particularly wide attacking players' freedom to come inside and even swap with their opposite wide counterparts at times. That's frankly why players with aspirations to play centrally, like Walcott or Welbeck, are kept happy there because they know they'll still get their share of looks at goal during a game.

Anyway, Cazorla's not going anywhere in that formation. They've found a way to maximize his considerable potential all while allowing Ozil to contribute as he does. That's not something you change away from.

Chelsea fans have a history of that crap.
Give it a rest. Some are known for this stuff. Stuff's coming out now about Chelsea fans singing anti-Semitic songs last year in Paris. And let's not forget that this is the club that retained a captain who racially abused a black player on the pitch several years ago.
PSG was sanctioned by UEFA after the game in Paris last year as well - the bastards.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/9390726/uefa-sanctions-psg-after-their-fans-abused-disabled-chelsea-supporters

I don't think anyone's really got the moral high ground when it comes to this stuff.
If your point is that every group of thousands of fans has drunken idiots who spew hateful stuff, I agree with you. (Equally, there are wonderful fans with every club as well.)

If your point, however, is that every club's fan culture is the same overall and equally tolerates or supports this stuff, I reject that. This is more than a few fans on a subway with Chelsea.

Caught the PSG/Chelsea game last night. I can't recall having seen PSG play in recent memory, so it's always nice to catch a fresh team every so often.

I'm not sure how I feel about their formation. I thought Matuidi's workrate was great and he was everywhere in central midfield, but I can't help but feel they'd have more attacking bite with a second true CM rather than Luiz lying back with the center backs. I suppose Verratti is a CM too, but he was as all-over-the-place as I've seen a player in recent memory. Conceptually, it sounds correct to play for the wings with Van der Wiel and Maxwell (who I know very little about, but came away very impressed with his performance) when you have Cavani and Ibra in the middle, but it looked so unbalanced at times. You'd see the ball out with Van der Wiel in the Chelsea final 3rd, and there wouldn't be a single PSG player in the middle of the field between the top of the 18 and the midfield circle. It's like they actively avoided playing through the middle at all costs. Was this their way of showing deference to Chelsea's back four or is this how they always play? I have no idea.

It was nice to see them get the equalizer as Chelsea seemed to start parking the bus in the second half (go figure). I thought it was a pretty fair result though....Chelsea controlled most of the first half, PSG most of the second. They had a few half-chances that they couldn't finish, Cavani's toe-poke comes to mind.

Game was a little boring at times overall, but had enough to keep me interested.
Both games yesterday were a bit disappointing, particularly since I took the afternoon off to watch at a bar. For Chelsea, a scoring draw in the away game is about as good as its going to get, and may not bode well for the return leg, at least for neutrals.

I don't think anyone's really got the moral high ground when it comes to this stuff.
If your point is that every group of thousands of fans has drunken idiots who spew hateful stuff, I agree with you. (Equally, there are wonderful fans with every club as well.)

If your point, however, is that every club's fan culture is the same overall and equally tolerates or supports this stuff, I reject that. This is more than a few fans on a subway with Chelsea.
give it a rest.

give it a rest.
Anyone with the tiniest bit of common sense understand this is a small group of twats and not representative of Chelsea or its fans. Great club having a great season will always draw some jealous knee-jerk stuff along the way.

Users who are viewing this thread