What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:MERGED: RB D. Williams Thread (1 Viewer)

billyjoe

Footballguy
I'm really lost on this one.

MJD had a better rookie year, higher chance to start in 2007 - Ranked lower.

Addai had a better rookie year, is the starter - Ranked lower.

Duece, Caddy, Chester Taylor, Edge?

At least those 4 are currently starters.

Yes DeAngelo should be starting. Fosters 28/19 carries in week 16/17 worried me a bit. Could easily be a Benson/TJ type role. Which means Foster/DWill are mostly useless for 2007.

And that ranking isn't even in PPR. I'd be scared to see how the two experts would rank him in PPR. By the looks of who is ahead of him, probably top 10. (mcgahee/maroney for sure - it's only 2 spots)

Not to mention the Panthers rush attack sucks balls.

Someone please explain to me how in a DECENT rookie year (worse then Addai/MJD - Addai is ranked 22) we're putting Williams in an somewhat elite ranking. (top 15 RB dynasty in non-ppr is pretty damn elite.)

Foster is average, the new OC is crafting the running game to DeAngelo's strengths, and he showed the explosiveness we had hoped he would show after coming back from an ankle injury.

I have MJD a slot above Williams. I have Addai lower, but that could change if Rhodes walks and they dont bring in someone to fill his role.

Caddy - want to see shades of 05 caddy first, although i feel pretty good that he will bounce back and he has room to move up.

Deuce - role is limited

Taylor - i see RBBC coming in Minny

James - way too old

Hope this helps. Dynasty rankings are art more than science. I would be surprised if there's any ranking that I could get even 70% agreement with, besides LT #1

Hey billyjoe. Where are you reading this?
http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/v...mp;howrecent=14Are we not allowed to post specific rankings for subscriber content?

I've seen a few threads before, figured it was okay. =)
I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.I think you make a lot of good points. Rankings are always difficult, but those first set of rankings are as hard as it gets. Lots of people thought Williams was going to be a future stud when drafted, and some even had him ahead of Bush on their boards. While he didn't have a great year, I don't think he did anything that would make you think he can't become a stud. You'd expect more out of a second year player than a rookie, so the dynasty rankings likely bumped him up based on his year of experience. Remember that these rankings aren't just for 2007, but for dynasty leagues. If Williams becomes a top 5 RB in 2009 or 2010, he won't have to rank in the top 15 this year to justify his current ranking.

Keep the good thoughts coming, billyjoe. :lmao:

I'm really lost on this one. MJD had a better rookie year, higher chance to start in 2007 - Ranked lower.Addai had a better rookie year, is the starter - Ranked lower.Duece, Caddy, Chester Taylor, Edge?At least those 4 are currently starters.Yes DeAngelo should be starting. Fosters 28/19 carries in week 16/17 worried me a bit. Could easily be a Benson/TJ type role. Which means Foster/DWill are mostly useless for 2007. And that ranking isn't even in PPR. I'd be scared to see how the two experts would rank him in PPR. By the looks of who is ahead of him, probably top 10. (mcgahee/maroney for sure - it's only 2 spots)Not to mention the Panthers rush attack sucks balls. Someone please explain to me how in a DECENT rookie year (worse then Addai/MJD - Addai is ranked 22) we're putting Williams in an somewhat elite ranking. (top 15 RB dynasty in non-ppr is pretty damn elite.)
agreed :lmao:

DeAngelo has an insanely high upside. He could easily be this year's Frank Gore.
if the new Carolina OC is more sensible than Henning and relegates Foster to backup, I can see something close to this happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Maroney ok just a few spots above him?

DeW was drafted 6 spots behind Maroney.

I have him as the next Westbrook. I've been quite high on DeW's abilities, and Foster could be cut (and if he isn't this could easily be his final season in CAR).

Also - Jake Delhomme is quite quietly falling out of favor. If that's the case, the running game (and DeW at QB, apparently :lmao: ) will become more of a feature.

I'm interested to hear where you would slot him. He's Top 20 for certain. I'm not sold on Addai, although he did quite well in the postseason.

I'm really lost on this one. MJD had a better rookie year, higher chance to start in 2007 - Ranked lower.Addai had a better rookie year, is the starter - Ranked lower.Duece, Caddy, Chester Taylor, Edge?At least those 4 are currently starters.Yes DeAngelo should be starting. Fosters 28/19 carries in week 16/17 worried me a bit. Could easily be a Benson/TJ type role. Which means Foster/DWill are mostly useless for 2007. And that ranking isn't even in PPR. I'd be scared to see how the two experts would rank him in PPR. By the looks of who is ahead of him, probably top 10. (mcgahee/maroney for sure - it's only 2 spots)Not to mention the Panthers rush attack sucks balls. Someone please explain to me how in a DECENT rookie year (worse then Addai/MJD - Addai is ranked 22) we're putting Williams in an somewhat elite ranking. (top 15 RB dynasty in non-ppr is pretty damn elite.)
agreed :lmao:
"Dynasty" Rankings is what you guys aren't getting here.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/v...mp;howrecent=14Are we not allowed to post specific rankings for subscriber content?

I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.I think you make a lot of good points. Rankings are always difficult, but those first set of rankings are as hard as it gets. Lots of people thought Williams was going to be a future stud when drafted, and some even had him ahead of Bush on their boards. While he didn't have a great year, I don't think he did anything that would make you think he can't become a stud. You'd expect more out of a second year player than a rookie, so the dynasty rankings likely bumped him up based on his year of experience. Remember that these rankings aren't just for 2007, but for dynasty leagues. If Williams becomes a top 5 RB in 2009 or 2010, he won't have to rank in the top 15 this year to justify his current ranking.

Keep the good thoughts coming, billyjoe. :shrug:
I'm with you Chase, I like Williams a lot.But Addai is on the Colts, surpassed expectations, had a monster 4 TD game, helped them win the SB, he's 23 years old. How many teams can stack the box against Addai? Like, none?

Sure college/combine stuff matters. But we've seen all 3 in the NFL, and I like MJD/Addai's situation much better. But like Bloom said, who do you really put ahead of him.

I'd take Addai in a second. MJD also. Caddy? I don't know. More talent, just as young, same fairly crappy situation. Taylor? Killer o-line, I'd be tempted though. Taylor will kill Williams this year if both are healthy IMHO.

I agree you can argue rankings all day. But both experts having him at 14. I can't find anyone in my league who regards Williams that much.

The fact Foster for 28 then 19 carries in the last two games, just didn't sit right with me. Foster missed some time, Williams had his shot, but Foster took over when he got back, espically at the end of the year. To me, Williams isn't that far from Benson. If TJ left, I'd probably take Benson over Williams without a 2nd thought. Then toss in the Panthers offense. Dear god that thing is awful to watch.

I mostly started the thread because I'm drinking the DWill Kool-aid, and even rank 14 made me take a step back.

.I have him as the next Westbrook. I've been quite high on DeW's abilities, and Foster could be cut (and if he isn't this could easily be his final season in CAR).
I completely diagree, just like in Chicago,I just don't think the Panthers are prepared tohand over the reigns to one man.The wise move would be to keep the insuranceand the RBBC with Foster and DWill which is exactlywhat I think the Panthers will do, especially looking atthe history of injuries for both RBs.(LS - I am aware that it is a dynasty ranking system)

Is Maroney ok just a few spots above him?

DeW was drafted 6 spots behind Maroney.

I have him as the next Westbrook. I've been quite high on DeW's abilities, and Foster could be cut (and if he isn't this could easily be his final season in CAR).

Also - Jake Delhomme is quite quietly falling out of favor. If that's the case, the running game (and DeW at QB, apparently :shrug: ) will become more of a feature.

I'm interested to hear where you would slot him. He's Top 20 for certain. I'm not sold on Addai, although he did quite well in the postseason.
Addai for sure. MJD for sure. I like Caddy more really. So thats 14-17. Probably Taylor (he did have 1200 yards) and maybe one more. I agree top 20, maybe 18-20. But I like DoW. I know guys who don't even have him in the top 25. But thanks for the reply. Like I said, I'm a big DoW fan, so I feel good about the ranking. I just that it's not close to the community perspective.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=305473

Community ranked him at 20. 20 to 14 is a pretty big edge among staff vs forum. Which is mostly what I'm getting at. In trade talks, I can't find maybe people putting top 15 value in DoW, and this is in PPR dynasty.

Selective commentary (why is he 14?) is fine. Even mentioning a few others (but not giving a ton away) is also fine.
Cool thanks Jeff.And thanks for the staff jumping right in. You guys did an awesome job all year updating the dynasty rankings. I know people in dynasty leagues who tread yours and blooms rankings as the bible.

Selective commentary (why is he 14?) is fine. Even mentioning a few others (but not giving a ton away) is also fine.
Cool thanks Jeff.And thanks for the staff jumping right in. You guys did an awesome job all year updating the dynasty rankings. I know people in dynasty leagues who tread yours and blooms rankings as the bible.
assss-kisser. :nerd:

I'd take Addai in a second. MJD also. Caddy? I don't know. More talent, just as young, same fairly crappy situation. Taylor? Killer o-line, I'd be tempted though. Taylor will kill Williams this year if both are healthy IMHO.
I'd take Addai over him too. But that's just because of Addai's situation. If they bring in a vet to replace Rhodes, that changes. I'm not sure Caddy has more talent. There's no question Williams is better in the passing game, and Caddy has shown a disturbing aversion to the end zone. Caddy has also been nicked up quite a bit. You mention they are in the same fairly crappy situation, which I think is a bogus comparison. Caddy's situation in Tampa Bay is significantly worse. That offense is truly bottom of the NFL barrel atrocious...especially if they end up going with Simms again in '07. I think more important than all of that is this: Who was more of a fantasy season killer than Caddy in '06? If he was your #1 or #2 RB in dynasty leagues, you were in so deep a ditch that it would've have taken a lot of luck to dig your way out. He was a season-killer...that has to count for something. Seasons only come along once a year. They're too precious to waste on guys that murder your team's chances.You have a lot more faith in Chester Taylor than I do. I would take Williams over him for the 2007 season, and I wouldn't think twice about it. Chester Taylor's 2006 screams career year to me. He was used too heavily in '06, Mewelde Moore is a better 3rd down back, and Taylor had major goal-line issues. Not to mention he's not nearly as talented as Williams.Also, re: Maurice Jones-Drew. He doesn't get nearly the respect he deserves from many people here. I watched most of his games because I straddle the JAX TV line, and he's not only explosive but he's powerful as well. He's tough to bring down. He's just as much of a home-run hitter on the run and the pass as Westbrook, but he's also more powerful. I don't think 14 is unreasonable for DeAngelo Williams. I wouldn't rank him above MJD & Addai in dynasty, but I think the 15-17 range is right on. I'd take him ahead of Caddy & Taylor without hesitation.

Thanks.

Addai for sure. MJD for sure. I like Caddy more really. So thats 14-17. Probably Taylor (he did have 1200 yards) and maybe one more. I agree top 20, maybe 18-20. But I like DoW. I know guys who don't even have him in the top 25.

But thanks for the reply. Like I said, I'm a big DoW fan, so I feel good about the ranking. I just that it's not close to the community perspective.

Community ranked him at 20. 20 to 14 is a pretty big edge among staff vs forum. Which is mostly what I'm getting at. In trade talks, I can't find maybe people putting top 15 value in DoW, and this is in PPR dynasty.
"DoW"?

Addai for sure. MJD for sure. I like Caddy more really. So thats 14-17. Probably Taylor (he did have 1200 yards) and maybe one more. I agree top 20, maybe 18-20. But I like DoW. I know guys who don't even have him in the top 25.

But thanks for the reply. Like I said, I'm a big DoW fan, so I feel good about the ranking. I just that it's not close to the community perspective.

"DoW"?
DoW down?

Question to anyone questioning DeAngelo Williams so far:

Did you watch him in limited action last year?

More importantly, did you watch him in college?

The fact is, the kid has a great deal of potential. Great change of direction, more power than you realize especially in regard to breaking tackles/arm tackles. Given the opportunity, he likely will shine.

"DoW"?
DoW down?
Closed at 12,767.57 today :goodposting:

This is my rankings for RBs in hP dynasty Leagues with PPR. Yes R bush and Addai are higher than most. But these are how I see them.

L Maroney and D Williams could very well be starters as D Foster and C Dillon could both be cut for salary cap reasons.

1 - LT2

2 - SJax

3 - R bush

4 - Addai

5 - LJ

6 - F Gore

7 - SA

8 - Edge

9 - Rudi J

10 - FWP

11 - Westbrook

12 - L Maroney

13 - MJD

14 - D Williams

Deangelo = Talent.
overrated talent
:lmao:all-time NCAA yards from scrimmage record holder
He reminds me a lot of what I thought of LT2 when he came out of college.Mind you, I didnt think LT2 would become one of the top 5 RBs ever (or have the chance for it at least) but I did see a lot of talent. A compactish build but not big, very athletic, very shifty.Now, I am not saying DeAngelo is going to be LT2, because LT2 totally surpassed even my high expecations, but I see a lot of talent in him. Let's see if he fulfills.I think he will.

I completely diagree, just like in Chicago,I just don't think the Panthers are prepared tohand over the reigns to one man.The wise move would be to keep the insuranceand the RBBC with Foster and DWill which is exactlywhat I think the Panthers will do, especially looking atthe history of injuries for both RBs.(LS - I am aware that it is a dynasty ranking system)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Bears announce Benson as the starter going into last season and then only re-committed to TJ after Benson became somewhat seriously injured? That situation could have turned out a lot differently. On the somewhat undeserved ranking, I always assume teams will eventually justify drafting a guy in the 1st round... unless the guy is constantly injured or simply doesn't have the talent. DW needs to prove durability, but he has certainly shown glipses of the skills needed to be an above average NFL RB. It's very difficult for me to decide if he is a sell high or a buy low at 14, so I guess the ranking seems about right to me. Would you trade him for Deuce in a dynasty league? C.Taylor?

This is my rankings for RBs in hP dynasty Leagues with PPR. Yes R bush and Addai are higher than most. But these are how I see them.L Maroney and D Williams could very well be starters as D Foster and C Dillon could both be cut for salary cap reasons. 1 - LT22 - SJax3 - R bush4 - Addai5 - LJ6 - F Gore7 - SA8 - Edge9 - Rudi J10 - FWP11 - Westbrook12 - L Maroney13 - MJD14 - D Williams
Portis?Ronnie Brown?Even KJ long term (ala dynasty).I'm scared to ask if you were to include AP/Lynch.

This is my rankings for RBs in hP dynasty Leagues with PPR. Yes R bush and Addai are higher than most. But these are how I see them.L Maroney and D Williams could very well be starters as D Foster and C Dillon could both be cut for salary cap reasons. 1 - LT22 - SJax3 - R bush4 - Addai5 - LJ6 - F Gore7 - SA8 - Edge9 - Rudi J10 - FWP11 - Westbrook12 - L Maroney13 - MJD14 - D Williams
Ummm, No Portis = crappy rankings. :lmao:

Taylor - i see RBBC coming in Minny
You lost me there. I can't see any reason to expect RBBC with Taylor. He was a workhorse all year, even after he came back from hisgames off. They made a point to feed him the rock. I would think that this offseason he will work hard on his conditioning knowing how serious Childress was about getting him the ball. If there was going to be a RBBC it would have happened already. Am I wrong?

I've never been huge on his talent, but he runs low and played pretty well in limited action. Little squatty backs have done pretty well in the NFL lately.

That said, I think he's a risky dynasty proposition. For that matter, I wouldn't take Addai, Maroney, or MJD at their ADP. There's way too much love for last year's rookie RBs. They won't all pan out. The only one who seems like a nice value right now is LenDale White, who is arguably just as talented as any of these guys (except Bush).

The only one who seems like a nice value right now is LenDale White, who is arguably just as talented as any of these guys (except Bush).
guy sure seems like a bust to me, but maybe his attitude will change
I'm not saying he's a sure thing, but he offers similar long-term value compared with someone like Maroney or Drew, and is available at a fraction of the price.The character issues are a concern, but you have to roll the dice at some point. He has a lot of talent and the Titans look like they're on the rebound with VY. In another year or two, White could be a top 10 RB.

I'm never one to say your rankings are wrong cause who knows? However I'm greatly puzzled by having Alexander and James so high in a ppr league that is also dynasty. To not have Westy in the top 5 is definetly going out on a limb in a ppr imo. I agree also that Portis and Ronnie have to be in here.

The only one who seems like a nice value right now is LenDale White, who is arguably just as talented as any of these guys (except Bush).
I'm not saying he's a sure thing, but he offers similar long-term value compared with someone like Maroney or Drew, and is available at a fraction of the price.The character issues are a concern, but you have to roll the dice at some point. He has a lot of talent and the Titans look like they're on the rebound with VY. In another year or two, White could be a top 10 RB.
:X Why is Cedric Benson so much more highly valued than LenDale White? They're in virtually identical situations, have similar talent and share nagging injuries & similar questions about whether they "get it" or not. Benson might actually be fighting more of an uphill battle to overtake Jones than White is with Henry considering Jones' secure place as a team leader and respected locker room presence on a Super Bowl contender.

"DoW"?
DoW down?
[Dickie V]Stock UP.

[/Dickie V]

I've never been huge on his talent, but he runs low and played pretty well in limited action. Little squatty backs have done pretty well in the NFL lately. That said, I think he's a risky dynasty proposition. For that matter, I wouldn't take Addai, Maroney, or MJD at their ADP. There's way too much love for last year's rookie RBs. They won't all pan out. The only one who seems like a nice value right now is LenDale White, who is arguably just as talented as any of these guys (except Bush).
LDWhite has the best value, agreed. Not saying he'll stand up and deliver, but far more reward than risk to take him.As for the love for rookies after year 1, Wannabee mentioned that last year - this seems to be a :blackdot: fest after the first season and that's about the best time to trade them away.

:blackdot: Why is Cedric Benson so much more highly valued than LenDale White? They're in virtually identical situations, have similar talent and share nagging injuries & similar questions about whether they "get it" or not. Benson might actually be fighting more of an uphill battle to overtake Jones than White is with Henry considering Jones' secure place as a team leader and respected locker room presence on a Super Bowl contender.
I don't know. It's kind of odd. Maybe people rank Benson higher because he was such an early draft pick. I really thought he'd be a nice dynasty value after his rookie season, but he was still being drafted in the rounds 3-4 range of 12 team leagues. I think LenDale White and Chris Perry offer similar talent at a fraction of the cost. That's not to say that I think any of these guys will pan out. They're all risks for a variety of reasons. However, I remember teams being rewarded for having patience with guys like LaMont Jordan and Larry Johnson. Let's not forget that LJ was widely written off after his unimpressive rookie year. I'm looking forward to seeing what White can do with expanded opportunities.

I've never been huge on his talent, but he runs low and played pretty well in limited action. Little squatty backs have done pretty well in the NFL lately. That said, I think he's a risky dynasty proposition. For that matter, I wouldn't take Addai, Maroney, or MJD at their ADP. There's way too much love for last year's rookie RBs. They won't all pan out. The only one who seems like a nice value right now is LenDale White, who is arguably just as talented as any of these guys (except Bush).
LDWhite has the best value, agreed. Not saying he'll stand up and deliver, but far more reward than risk to take him.As for the love for rookies after year 1, Wannabee mentioned that last year - this seems to be a :blackdot: fest after the first season and that's about the best time to trade them away.
Agree 100%. My theory is this: Rookies who have promising rookie seasons will generally be overrated (Bush, Addai, Maroney, MJD, D-Will, Norwood, Jennings, Holmes, Colston, Cutler, Young, Leinart). Rookies who have weak rookie seasons will generally be underrated (C. Jackson, Hagan, Wilson, White, Calhoun, M. Lewis).I like the value of several of the guys in the second group. I also think it's worth taking a gamble on some of the first group guys, but you have to be careful not to overpay.

Portis?Ronnie Brown?Even KJ long term (ala dynasty).I'm scared to ask if you were to include AP/Lynch.
Portis is injuried too much and they have L betts who in HOP leagues with PPR was the #10 RB last year. Portis numbers will not be that good again. R Brown - Is over hyped in my opinion - A decent but not great or even very good. As a starter he has finished 23 in 2005 and 24th in 2006. Why would I move him up to above 15 this year? Line is not any better - neither is their QB. New coach - I'll wait in Dynasty who you take last for years good or bad. KJ may or may not play the first half of the season. Has been injuried most years of his pro carreer. When healthy one of the best, but injuried to much.

Users who are viewing this thread