Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

prosopis

Ever buy meat off a truck that pulled in your home

55 posts in this topic

Some guy just pulled into my driveway with all kinds of frozen beef,chicken,pork,and seafood. He says it is from the same place that omaha steaks come from.

I just paid $120.00 for

USDA choice boneless beef filet-bacon wrapped 12 pieces-50ozs

Beef loin T bone steaks 4 pieces-40ozs

USDA choice fillet of beef sirloin ball tip steaks 8 pieces-50ozs

USDA choice boneless beef tips 10 pieces-50ozs

USDA boneless beef fillet 10 pieces-50ozs

"homestyle" pure chopped beef steaks 24 pieces-80ozs

The meat looked good and was stamped as packaged in the last few days. It was flash frozen. Brochure says the beef pack goes for $329.00 and I paid $120.00. The guy said it was the end of the day and they just want to get rid of it etc.........

Brochure says the company is Ranch House quality meats and there is a number for free delivery in future. I hope I didnt just get taken. I also hope I didnt give a check to a meth addict. Has anyone here ever bought meat like this? I could barely fit it in my freezer and probably wont have to buy beef for 8 mos now.

What do the masses think?

They are across the street now and I see the neighbors are buying some to. :(

At least if I was scammed I wont be the only one.

If you had paid the $329 I would call it a scam. That's 16.45 per pound.

You paid $6 per pound. Not what I would call a bargain but if the meat is good its not a bad deal.

Some guy pulled up next to me at a stoplight in a truck once and tried to sell me meat, I was broke though. :( If it looked alright and had dates and everything on it I would not lose any sleep over it. :unsure:

Some guy pulled up next to me at a stoplight in a truck once and tried to sell me meat speakers, I was broke though. :unsure: If it looked alright and had dates wires and everything on it I would not lose any sleep over it. :unsure:

Fixed :(

Ding dong

Who is it?

You want to buy some meat?

Yes, thank you.

:thumbup:

If my Google-fu is up to snuff, this company's website is www.brisket.net. Brisket.net. That's a good sign.

They had a report on the local news where they followed one of these guys around and checked him out. The meat was NOT kept in safe temperatures at all times and this guy just totally screwed up safe food handling.

I did have one of those guys show up at my door with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth shortly after we moved in to our home. Offered me some "good cuts!" for a steal.

:thumbup:

I'm in the meat business, and from the info you've given, and without examining the product, it sounds like you made out alright. As long as the meat is certified USDA Choice it should be good quality. I doubt somebody would go out of their way to make fake USDA stamps, but it wouldn't surprise me if some one has. How's the trim (fat) on the edges of the T-bones? If its 1/4 inch or less you didn't pay for excess fat. The only downside is that it's frozen, not as good as fresh beef, still I don't think you got ripped off.

They had a report on the local news where they followed one of these guys around and checked him out. The meat was NOT kept in safe temperatures at all times and this guy just totally screwed up safe food handling.I did have one of those guys show up at my door with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth shortly after we moved in to our home. Offered me some "good cuts!" for a steal. :thumbup:

I should point out that it wasn't from Ranch House Meat Company. Sorry if that post misleading. It was some other company..

They had a report on the local news where they followed one of these guys around and checked him out. The meat was NOT kept in safe temperatures at all times and this guy just totally screwed up safe food handling.I did have one of those guys show up at my door with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth shortly after we moved in to our home. Offered me some "good cuts!" for a steal. :thumbup:

Yeah if the guy pulled it out of the trunk of his car, I wouldn't buy it, ice chest maybe. If it was still completely frozen it should be safe. The only thing is though, you don't know where that meat has been. Make sure you fully cook before eating, 160 degree internal temp to be safe.

Pro, did you hear about those illegals that were kidnapped up here last week? Well there ya go.... :thumbup:

Well now you should be able to amply sample the subtle differences in flavor between Arabian and Andalusian.

I'm in the meat business, and from the info you've given, and without examining the product, it sounds like you made out alright. As long as the meat is certified USDA Choice it should be good quality. I doubt somebody would go out of their way to make fake USDA stamps, but it wouldn't surprise me if some one has. How's the trim (fat) on the edges of the T-bones? If its 1/4 inch or less you didn't pay for excess fat. The only downside is that it's frozen, not as good as fresh beef, still I don't think you got ripped off.

The trim is less then 1/4 inch :shock:

They had a report on the local news where they followed one of these guys around and checked him out. The meat was NOT kept in safe temperatures at all times and this guy just totally screwed up safe food handling.I did have one of those guys show up at my door with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth shortly after we moved in to our home. Offered me some "good cuts!" for a steal. :shock:

Yeah if the guy pulled it out of the trunk of his car, I wouldn't buy it, ice chest maybe. If it was still completely frozen it should be safe. The only thing is though, you don't know where that meat has been. Make sure you fully cook before eating, 160 degree internal temp to be safe.
It came out of a freezer truck. It was a good size truck with the logo and name of the company on it.

When I used to live in Tucson, I did this on several occasions, and the meat was quite good. Once you get it for a certain price, you can pretty much set a precedence on how much you will pay for the same stuff the enxt time.

Did they have stereo speakers in that truck too?

So, I guess this is what I have always heard as the meat wagon then???

This was a door to door meat salesman? Now that is a job that has to suck.

Some guy just pulled into my driveway with all kinds of frozen beef,chicken,pork,and seafood. He says it is from the same place that omaha steaks come from.I just paid $120.00 forUSDA choice boneless beef filet-bacon wrapped 12 pieces-50ozsBeef loin T bone steaks 4 pieces-40ozsUSDA choice fillet of beef sirloin ball tip steaks 8 pieces-50ozsUSDA choice boneless beef tips 10 pieces-50ozsUSDA boneless beef fillet 10 pieces-50ozs"homestyle" pure chopped beef steaks 24 pieces-80ozsThe meat looked good and was stamped as packaged in the last few days. It was flash frozen. Brochure says the beef pack goes for $329.00 and I paid $120.00. The guy said it was the end of the day and they just want to get rid of it etc.........Brochure says the company is Ranch House quality meats and there is a number for free delivery in future. I hope I didnt just get taken. I also hope I didnt give a check to a meth addict. Has anyone here ever bought meat like this? I could barely fit it in my freezer and probably wont have to buy beef for 8 mos now.What do the masses think?

Did this deal a while back, after negotiating he knocked the price down to $60 and threw in some lemon pepper chicken. It was OK, but not as good as the fresh store bought stuff.

I bought that stuff once. Some of the meat was okay, none of it was excellent, and some of it actually disintegrated when cooked. It turned into some sort of jelly-like substance as I cooked it. bad batch maybe, but frankly, when it comes to choice cuts, I tend to buy it either at BJ's or a local butcher.

I bought that stuff once. Some of the meat was okay, none of it was excellent, and some of it actually disintegrated when cooked. It turned into some sort of jelly-like substance as I cooked it. bad batch maybe, but frankly, when it comes to choice cuts, I tend to buy it either at BJ's or a local butcher.

Had the same experience with the "choice" cuts. I think the pump them with some type of solution that keeps them "fesh" for fifty years.

meh. Frozen meat and you will be on their call lists "John will be in your area next Tuesday" for YEARS

Arent those filets like 4oz or some crazy small portion??

Had the same experience with the "choice" cuts. I think the pump them with some type of solution that keeps them "fesh" for fifty years.
I bought some from a guy in a truck one day about 5 years ago.

When I cooked the steaks I swear it had a funny aftertaste..I was hoping it was not embalming fluid.

Some guy just pulled into my driveway with all kinds of frozen beef,chicken,pork,and seafood. He says it is from the same place that omaha steaks come from.

I just paid $120.00 for

USDA choice boneless beef filet-bacon wrapped 12 pieces-50ozs

Beef loin T bone steaks 4 pieces-40ozs

USDA choice fillet of beef sirloin ball tip steaks 8 pieces-50ozs

USDA choice boneless beef tips 10 pieces-50ozs

USDA boneless beef fillet 10 pieces-50ozs

"homestyle" pure chopped beef steaks 24 pieces-80ozs

The meat looked good and was stamped as packaged in the last few days. It was flash frozen. Brochure says the beef pack goes for $329.00 and I paid $120.00. The guy said it was the end of the day and they just want to get rid of it etc.........Brochure says the company is Ranch House quality meats and there is a number for free delivery in future. I hope I didnt just get taken. I also hope I didnt give a check to a meth addict. Has anyone here ever bought meat like this? I could barely fit it in my freezer and probably wont have to buy beef for 8 mos now.

What do the masses think?

My bet is the guy is probably just scamming his company. He is likely rigging his invoices/order sheets or somehow taking advantage of the way the company keeps records, selling the meat, and lining his own pockets. So you probably got stolen goods, but I bet the meat is fine.

Or that brouchure is just a BS marketing ploy. You bought 320 oz. of meat...that's 20 pounds. $329 for 20 lbs of meat! $16.45 per pound...better be damn good cuts of beef to still be that expensive in bulk quantitiy. You paid $6 per pound which would be a darn good price for the fillets, but not so good for the chopped beef.

This sounds like a Jeff Foxworthy joke.

I had this happen to me at a gas station. The guy claimed he had been paid with checks all day long and needed cash to buy gas. He gave me (12) sirloin steak burgers and (8) fillet mignons (bacon wrapped) for $40. He claimed it was worth at least twice that much.

I was skeptical, but did the deal. My biggest regret now is not having his card so I could buy more!

Search function down?

Maybe we are the only ones with the memory of that thread, but that was the first thing I thought of too.

Cook some of this up and get back to us in 24 hours if you are still in good health.

I've had some of those "steaks" before.... It's pretty good for kangaroo :rolleyes:

Just kidding

Just had a guy come by my house for the same thing last week.

I'm skeptical of these guys and I wasn't real happy about him skidding into my driveway when we just pulled in from the grocery store with our two kids. He was driving a rusted out, old mini mazda or nissan pickup. I basically told him to beat it.

I try to buy from a local butcher if I want T-Bone and fellets. You just buy only what you're cooking that day or the next day.

Just had a guy come by my house for the same thing last week.I'm skeptical of these guys and I wasn't real happy about him skidding into my driveway when we just pulled in from the grocery store with our two kids. He was driving a rusted out, old mini mazda or nissan pickup. I basically told him to beat it.I try to buy from a local butcher if I want T-Bone and fellets. You just buy only what you're cooking that day or the next day.

This guy was in a real truck with a freezer. Company logo on it etc......I got the impression he had some extra and was lining his pockets. I would not buy from someone in a truck like you describe.

Cook some of this up and get back to us in 24 hours if you are still in good health.

I went vegetarian for lent so I wont be able to try any of it until after Easter. I could cook some up for the family though and see what happens. :rolleyes:

We have a guy who comes around here about every 6 months selling fish. Last time through we finally broke down and bought 10 lbs. of frozen walleye. Nothing wrong with it but no way is that fish walleye....

Just had a guy come by my house for the same thing last week.I'm skeptical of these guys and I wasn't real happy about him skidding into my driveway when we just pulled in from the grocery store with our two kids. He was driving a rusted out, old mini mazda or nissan pickup. I basically told him to beat it.I try to buy from a local butcher if I want T-Bone and fellets. You just buy only what you're cooking that day or the next day.

This guy was in a real truck with a freezer. Company logo on it etc......I got the impression he had some extra and was lining his pockets. I would not buy from someone in a truck like you describe.
And, also you said he took a check. That's a good indication the meat is fine, although he may still be scamming his company. The guys with the real hijacked meat or running a scam only take cash.

Just had a guy come by my house for the same thing last week.

I'm skeptical of these guys and I wasn't real happy about him skidding into my driveway when we just pulled in from the grocery store with our two kids. He was driving a rusted out, old mini mazda or nissan pickup. I basically told him to beat it.

I try to buy from a local butcher if I want T-Bone and fellets. You just buy only what you're cooking that day or the next day.

Was it Capitol Meats? Chest freezer strapped in the bed? He's been working my neighborhood.