What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Brady Quinn Overrated? (1 Viewer)

Well?

• Yes

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
No way he is a top seven pick. What worries me is that they are being so careful not to screw anything up (at the combine, pro day, etc) that I am starting to believe there is something wrong with him.

Obviously Im a little biased, but I think he is overrated, his stock sky rocketed when he played a USC defense that obviously wasnt the same after all the injuries, then he sucked it up in just about every big game he's had after that so I voted yes.

Since at this time his value appears to be sinking more than a little, I'd say no way. He might not be the next Manning/Brady, but he's Leaf or Alki Smith either. IMO. Has potential to be very solid QB, tho I seriously doubt he'll be anything amazing.

Yes. I don't think he has the arm strength necessary to justify a top-20 selection. Do not be confused - I'm not saying he has a weak arm nor am I saying he won't turn out to be a great QB over time. But giving him the money required of a top-20 pick to hope his arm strength develops in the next 3-4 years is not a gamble I would wager on with much confidence. IMO, he is a lot more Pennington then Palmer.

Quinn Brady?Never heard of him, must be a scrub.......
I think he's brady quinn's cousinI'll agree he's overrated. If his name wasn't brady and if his HC wasn't charlie weis I doubt he'd be a first round pick much less a possible top ten pick. I root for Notre Dame but the best thing about quinn is his hot sister

Last edited by a moderator:
Not too long ago, Brady Quinn was considered the slam-dunk #1 pick in this year's draft.

I think he has been so high on everyone's watch list for so long that people are beginning to find things to nit-pick about. A little like Leinart last year.

And you don't need a rocket arm to succeed in this league (Mike Vick). What's between the ears is far more important (Tom Brady).

very overrated, just like every other ND QB not named Theisman or Montana over the past 25 years or so.

Quinn didn't play particularly well in 'big' games in 2006. perhaps his best game was against a terrible Mi State team that ND was supposed to beat.

I see another Joey Harrington when I watch Quinn.

Not too long ago, Brady Quinn was considered the slam-dunk #1 pick in this year's draft.I think he has been so high on everyone's watch list for so long that people are beginning to find things to nit-pick about. A little like Leinart last year.And you don't need a rocket arm to succeed in this league (Mike Vick). What's between the ears is far more important (Tom Brady).
I hope you all keep thinking that and leave him for me in the dynasties.

Not too long ago, Brady Quinn was considered the slam-dunk #1 pick in this year's draft.I think he has been so high on everyone's watch list for so long that people are beginning to find things to nit-pick about. A little like Leinart last year.And you don't need a rocket arm to succeed in this league (Mike Vick). What's between the ears is far more important (Tom Brady).
"What's between the ears" is often found in the later rounds. Arm Strength is found in round 1.

"What's between the ears" is often found in the later rounds. Arm Strength is found in round 1.
I would disagree with simply looking for this. Quinn has flaws- most noticably that he sails the ball under pressure. I think that he is unfairly criticized because his team was overrated. They simply were terrible on D and exposed against top notch athleticism on both sides of the ball.Quinn has an average NFL arm or slightly better, but he has exceptional footwork, good pocket presence, and excellent deception on play action. I see him as a very solid NFl QB who has played in a pro style offense with a sophisticated playbook. I think he will do very well- not necessarily great, but very well.

I view him as a somewhat better Chad Pennington, without the injury history (now).

His lackluster performances in big games is a concern, but I think he'll be undervalued in FF drafts, even if overrated in the NFL draft.

I think Quinn is NOT over rated, and think a lot of teams are playing him down in hopes he slides in the draft.

The kid is big, tall and strong and has been groomed in a system to be a NFL QB the last few years.

As for overrated, JaMarcus "Tubby" Russell in my eyes is a huge gamble....the guy has poor work ethic and to me has the upside of a Byron Leftwich.

I think Quinn is NOT over rated, and think a lot of teams are playing him down in hopes he slides in the draft.The kid is big, tall and strong and has been groomed in a system to be a NFL QB the last few years.As for overrated, JaMarcus "Tubby" Russell in my eyes is a huge gamble....the guy has poor work ethic and to me has the upside of a Byron Leftwich.
:) pretty much how I see it too. While there are not many solid qb prospects in this draft, I think that Quinn is H/S above the rest. Fall in love with the :cry: of Russell and pay down the road for your love for talent that will overshadowed by the inconsistancies of his game while Quinn gets steadily better and better losing some "big games" here and there and probably getting the :hot: "choker-manning" level disrespect. When the dust settles in ten years everyone will have forgotten who Russell was and will be debating wether or not Quinn is going to go in. Or something like that.

I think Quinn is NOT over rated, and think a lot of teams are playing him down in hopes he slides in the draft.The kid is big, tall and strong and has been groomed in a system to be a NFL QB the last few years.As for overrated, JaMarcus "Tubby" Russell in my eyes is a huge gamble....the guy has poor work ethic and to me has the upside of a Byron Leftwich.
:shrug: pretty much how I see it too. While there are not many solid qb prospects in this draft, I think that Quinn is H/S above the rest. Fall in love with the :eek: of Russell and pay down the road for your love for talent that will overshadowed by the inconsistancies of his game while Quinn gets steadily better and better losing some "big games" here and there and probably getting the :rolleyes: "choker-manning" level disrespect. When the dust settles in ten years everyone will have forgotten who Russell was and will be debating wether or not Quinn is going to go in. Or something like that.
;) Al Toon's Mole :shock: Wandering Wookie

Not overrated. It took him a few years to get solid QB coaching, but he finally did. He showed remarkable progress the past two years and has great upside potential. He exceptionally strong and a solid leader.

As with any incoming QB, he will be heavily reliant upon a good offensive line. If he gets zero time to throw he'll end up just like a lot of the other high picks at QB. I like Minnesota's line situation for him. QBing behind McKinnie and Hutchinson should help ease the transition to the NFL.

I hear a lot about Quinn feasting against substandard competition. Russell did the same thing. I'm no statistical analysis guru, but it appears that the defenses that Russell faced were no better and his stats could be inflated a bit too. I'm starting to get a bad feeling about Russell.

Here's a grid of the opponents faced, their pass defense rank, and the stats accumulated for each.

Jamarcus Russell

61. Louisiana-Lafayette - 13/17/253 3/0

69. Arizona - 13/20/196 2/1

14. @Auburn - 20/35/269 0/0

113. Tulane - 17/23/198 2/0

67. Mississippi State - 18/20/330 3/0

33. @Florida - 24/41/228 1/3

118. Kentucky - 15/18/226 2/0

86. Fresno State - 15/19/210 2/0

27. @Tennessee - 24/36/247 3/3

19. Alabama - 18/21/207 3/0

46. Mississippi - 20/36/223 3/0

36. @Arkansas - 14/22/210 2/0

60. Notre Dame - 21/34/332 2/1

Brady Quinn

49. @Georgia Tech - 23/38/246 0/0

53. Penn State - 25/36/287 3/0

89. Michigan - 24/48/234 3/3

97. @Michigan State - 20/36/319 5/1

104. Purdue - 29/38/316 2/0

23. Stanford - 27/37/232 3/0

87. UCLA - 27/45/304 2/0

85. @Navy - 18/25/295 3/0

48. North Carolina - 23/35/346 4/0

75. @Air Force - 14/19/207 4/0

7. Army - 22/30/218 3/1

64. @USC - 22/45/274 3/0

3. @LSU - 15/35/148 2/2

So, in each of their "signature" games (Quinn vs LSU and Russell vs Florida) they both came up small in losses. Yet Quinn is the only one taking a hit? I don't get it.

Andy Dufresne said:
I hear a lot about Quinn feasting against substandard competition. Russell did the same thing. I'm no statistical analysis guru, but it appears that the defenses that Russell faced were no better and his stats could be inflated a bit too. I'm starting to get a bad feeling about Russell.

Here's a grid of the opponents faced, their pass defense rank, and the stats accumulated for each.

Jamarcus Russell

61. Louisiana-Lafayette - 13/17/253 3/0

69. Arizona - 13/20/196 2/1

14. @Auburn - 20/35/269 0/0

113. Tulane - 17/23/198 2/0

67. Mississippi State - 18/20/330 3/0

33. @Florida - 24/41/228 1/3

118. Kentucky - 15/18/226 2/0

86. Fresno State - 15/19/210 2/0

27. @Tennessee - 24/36/247 3/3

19. Alabama - 18/21/207 3/0

46. Mississippi - 20/36/223 3/0

36. @Arkansas - 14/22/210 2/0

60. Notre Dame - 21/34/332 2/1

Brady Quinn

49. @Georgia Tech - 23/38/246 0/0

53. Penn State - 25/36/287 3/0

89. Michigan - 24/48/234 3/3

97. @Michigan State - 20/36/319 5/1

104. Purdue - 29/38/316 2/0

23. Stanford - 27/37/232 3/0

87. UCLA - 27/45/304 2/0

85. @Navy - 18/25/295 3/0

48. North Carolina - 23/35/346 4/0

75. @Air Force - 14/19/207 4/0

7. Army - 22/30/218 3/1

64. @USC - 22/45/274 3/0

3. @LSU - 15/35/148 2/2

So, in each of their "signature" games (Quinn vs LSU and Russell vs Florida) they both came up small in losses. Yet Quinn is the only one taking a hit? I don't get it.
Slight hijack - why is Russell's signature game vs. Florida?

Quinn is criticized because he is QB at Notre Dame. Those that hate ND think he is overrated...those that like ND think he is going to be really good. There usually isn't much in between ground with football fans and Notre Dame.

I think everyone has a different view of him if he puts up the same stats and has the same record somewhere else.

I think he's overrated. As you guys probably have, I've watched a lot of the Notre Dame games and as I watched him play, I can't say I've been overly impressed by him as far as a top 5 pick in the draft.

He's a huge risk.

Yes. I don't think he has the arm strength necessary to justify a top-20 selection. Do not be confused - I'm not saying he has a weak arm nor am I saying he won't turn out to be a great QB over time. But giving him the money required of a top-20 pick to hope his arm strength develops in the next 3-4 years is not a gamble I would wager on with much confidence. IMO, he is a lot more Pennington then Palmer.
Al Toon said:
I think Quinn is NOT over rated, and think a lot of teams are playing him down in hopes he slides in the draft.

The kid is big, tall and strong and has been groomed in a system to be a NFL QB the last few years.

As for overrated, JaMarcus "Tubby" Russell in my eyes is a huge gamble....the guy has poor work ethic and to me has the upside of a Byron Leftwich.
:crazy: Byron Leftwich was a top 10 pick 5 years ago and he is still competing for his job. Tom Brady was taken in the 6th round and he is arguably the best QB in football.

If we were to clear the rosters of every team and hold draft of all of the players the players most likely to go #1 & #2 are Manning and Brady.

Manning (like Quinn) had, until this past season, the reputation for choking in big games.

Brady (like Quinn) isn't that impressive in terms of his physical abilities.

I think Quinn is drastically underrated. I think the Raiders will make a huge mistake taking Russell 1st overall. He isn't nearly as ready to step in and play in the NFL as Quinn is.

Someone from NFL network (Mayock I think) put it this way - Russell has the higher celing, Quinn has the higher floor.

:goodposting:

Slight hijack - why is Russell's signature game vs. Florida?
:lol: I don't know what else to call it. It was the game against the highest rated (not just pass defense) opponent. I admit I'm mixing and matching a bit there.
Thanks for the clarification. I was a little :unsure: by the mixture there.I would think that the lasting impression for Russell would have been the bowl game vs. ND.
Notre Dame's defense was awful. A big reason why Russell looked good that game and why Quinn looked bad against good competition for two years.

Al Toon said:

:lol: Byron Leftwich was a top 10 pick 5 years ago and he is still competing for his job. Tom Brady was taken in the 6th round and he is arguably the best QB in football.

If we were to clear the rosters of every team and hold draft of all of the players the players most likely to go #1 & #2 are Manning and Brady.

Manning (like Quinn) had, until this past season, the reputation for choking in big games.

I think Quinn is drastically underrated. I think the Raiders will make a huge mistake taking Russell 1st overall. He isn't nearly as ready to step in and play in the NFL as Quinn is.

Someone from NFL network (Mayock I think) put it this way - Russell has the higher celing, Quinn has the higher floor.

:unsure:
You just basically repeated my view in different words...and yet mine was BS???? I dont get it, what's your point?

Al Toon said:

:bs: Byron Leftwich was a top 10 pick 5 years ago and he is still competing for his job. Tom Brady was taken in the 6th round and he is arguably the best QB in football.

:2cents:
:tumbleweed: :shrug: :goodposting:

I think he's overrated. As you guys probably have, I've watched a lot of the Notre Dame games and as I watched him play, I can't say I've been overly impressed by him as far as a top 5 pick in the draft.He's a huge risk.
Seriously, I'm starting to wonder if anybody actually watched this kid play...he looked mediocre in way too many games.

Al Toon said:

;) Byron Leftwich was a top 10 pick 5 years ago and he is still competing for his job. Tom Brady was taken in the 6th round and he is arguably the best QB in football.

:goodposting:
You just basically repeated my view in different words...and yet mine was BS???? I dont get it, what's your point?
Sorry about that. I wasn't quite clear. Your psot is there to support my contension. Colin Dowling's point is BS. My point is that Quinn is more worthy of a 1st overall selection than Russell.

Al Toon said:

:bs: Byron Leftwich was a top 10 pick 5 years ago and he is still competing for his job. Tom Brady was taken in the 6th round and he is arguably the best QB in football.

:hifive:
:towelwave: :eek: :thumbup:
:) Quinn was a 4 year starter at the golden dome and amassed the following stats:

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

2003 157 332 1831 47.3 5.52 85 9 15 13 93.52

2004 191 353 2586 54.1 7.33 54 17 10 25 125.87

2005 292 450 3919 64.9 8.71 80 32 7 20 158.40

2006 289 467 3426 61.9 7.34 62 37 7 31 146.65
Solid #'s 3 out of 4 years competing against quality opponents and the simple fact that he started for 4 years and was very productive. Also of note...look at his sack numbers his senior season...31! That's pretty crappy for a 10 or 11 game schedule. His O-line must have been atrocious! He's a leader, he's strong, he's mature, and he seems to be a leader. Qualities I like in a QB. Let's look at Russell's #'s:

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

2004 73 144 1053 50.7 7.31 42 9 4 13 127.19

2005 188 311 2443 60.5 7.86 50 15 9 21 136.56

2006 232 342 3129 67.8 9.15 58 28 8 15 167.03
Those are great #'s as well, but I like the fact that Brady has that extra year of seasoning. Jamarcus is jumping on his own band wagon because of his success this last year and the fact that everyone is enamored with his size. For this draft, I'd much rather have Quinn due to his readiness. Quinn could step in and be productive from day one. I'm not saying Russell couldn't but I think Russell will have more growing pains than Quinn and there isn't alot of patience in the NFL.

I think the PAC 10 is more overrated than Brady Quinn.
2006 NCAA Baseball Champs2007 Rose Bowl Champions2006 NCAA basketball championship gameThat should pretty much cover the most recent events in the three major sports. :thumbup:

LHUCKS said:
Norseman said:
2006 NCAA Baseball Champs2007 Rose Bowl Champions

2006 NCAA basketball championship game

That should pretty much cover the most recent events in the three major sports. :thumbup:
NCAA baseball champions? No one really cares anymore. That's like being the best kicker in the draft, at best a 2nd or 3rd round pick, unless you can get Al Davis to blow a first on you.Rose Bowl champions? Winner of one of the biggest games that doesn't mean anything. It's not the BCS Championship game. So you're possibly in the top 5.

NCAA basketball championship game loser . Second best, not bad, but not best. Brady Quinn is one of the top 2 quarterbacks in this years draft, so that is not a bad comparison.

So in conclusion, the pac 10 is definately more overrated than Brady Quinn.

Florida is The State of CHAMPIONS!!

LHUCKS said:
Norseman said:

That should pretty much cover the most recent events in the three major sports. :moneybag:
NCAA baseball champions? No one really cares anymore. That's like being the best kicker in the draft, at best a 2nd or 3rd round pick, unless you can get Al Davis to blow a first on you.Rose Bowl champions? Winner of one of the biggest games that doesn't mean anything. It's not the BCS Championship game. So you're possibly in the top 5.

NCAA basketball championship game loser . Second best, not bad, but not best. Brady Quinn is one of the top 2 quarterbacks in this years draft, so that is not a bad comparison.

Come on, Florida wins a NC in football once every 50 years and now their the state of champions?

LHUCKS said:
Norseman said:

That should pretty much cover the most recent events in the three major sports. :crazy:

Come on, Florida wins a NC in football once every 50 years and now their the state of champions?
You didn't check all the links did you? The state of Florida has won all four of the major pro sports championships in the last five years, plus the 2 biggest NCAA championship, football and basketball, within the last year. So yes, Florida is the state of Champions!!

I hate "overrated"/"underrated" questions. It's way too vague.

That said, I think he and Russell are a slightly less talented version of the Manning/Leaf duo, with Quinn being the corrollary to Manning. Quinn has everything you want in a pedigree, and while I'm as willing as any to pile on the Notre Dame program I think the criticism of Quinn as a NFL prospect is ridiculous. Russell, like Leaf, is prominent because of one season, and in Russell's case really one game which was the bowl game. He's got a lot of physical skills but he's not got nearly the number of reps that Quinn did in college.

I never forget that study that found that 35 starts in college is a tipping point for NFL success for QB's. Quinn's well beyond that number.

I think he's overrated. As you guys probably have, I've watched a lot of the Notre Dame games and as I watched him play, I can't say I've been overly impressed by him as far as a top 5 pick in the draft.He's a huge risk.
Seriously, I'm starting to wonder if anybody actually watched this kid play...he looked mediocre in way too many games.
I would love to hear your bs opinion about peyton manning when he was in college.

I hate "overrated"/"underrated" questions. It's way too vague. That said, I think he and Russell are a slightly less talented version of the Manning/Leaf duo, with Quinn being the corrollary to Manning. Quinn has everything you want in a pedigree, and while I'm as willing as any to pile on the Notre Dame program I think the criticism of Quinn as a NFL prospect is ridiculous. Russell, like Leaf, is prominent because of one season, and in Russell's case really one game which was the bowl game. He's got a lot of physical skills but he's not got nearly the number of reps that Quinn did in college. I never forget that study that found that 35 starts in college is a tipping point for NFL success for QB's. Quinn's well beyond that number.
:thumbup:

This is the first time I've heard anyone identify arm strength as a weakness for Brady Quinn. Where are you getting this from?

Looks like the top teams in the draft are saying overrated...a lot of mockers around here f'd this one up.

:eek:

you guys are crazy. quit listening to the talking heads, Brady Quinn is a second round talent who the media loves because he works out well and is a nice polite ND guy. Levi Brown is a FAR better talent/pick than Quinn. And don't even get me started on what a better pick Joe Thomas is for CLE than he Mighty :goodposting: Quinn

His accuracy is lacking in short throws. In the NFL game you need to hit a receiver in stride or balls get picked off or go for a few yards. Go back and look at how many balls high, behind or in the dirt that he threw for completions at ND. It was A LOT! His receivers YAC is WACK!

This is the first time I've heard anyone identify arm strength as a weakness for Brady Quinn. Where are you getting this from?
on ESPN late night I heard Ron Jaworski give a great description of why Quinn Is not as good as the media darlings want him to be. I wonder if he has something online...

lol the online poll said that the people say L hall 35% and Revis 34% are better than Quinn for the draft 33%.

and then they take Ginn... lol Looks like it might just be the talking heads overrating Quinn. The scouts know their ####. This guy might slide to the second after all this hype. I am gonna go get a beer and some :goodposting:

on ESPN late night I heard Ron Jaworski give a great description of why Quinn Is not as good as the media darlings want him to be. I wonder if he has something online...
He was MUCH harsher than this on the radio, then again this is the south bend paper.but her is someAnd so they look at flaws. And Quinn has them.
"Everybody does," Jaworski said. "But are they correctable? In Brady's case, I think they are. It wasn't like they jumped out at me, but I saw some inconsistency when I looked at throw after throw. He lacked consistency with his accuracy. He would make a bad throw, but then I'd look five players later, and he'd make the same throw perfectly. So I started to look at his mechanics."Does he have a problem with his release? Is he coming off his back foot too soon and loses some of his power? Occasionally it happened on the deep ball, but it didn't happen every time, and again those are correctable. And there are still so many positives."
He also said that Quinn is a workout junkie, but that he is more about lifting to be big and strong a la David Boston, but that the muscle structure to be a qb, that would actually harm him. I guess it depends on who takes him, and who coaches him. we'll see...I think he said on 15 completed 15 yard out routes only two were thrown where the reciver could run with it, all the others were caught but thrown bad and went nowhere. Which looks good in the paper , as 15 yard out is a first down. But accuracy, especiially in the NFL, YOU HAVE TO BE EXTREMELY ACCURATE IN THE SHORT GAME, or LB's, and even DE's nw, will pick you all day....

Users who are viewing this thread