What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The OFFICIAL 2007 Boston Red Sox Thread (1 Viewer)

[icon]

Insoxicated
Time for my annual fanboy Red Sox thread where we will track the Rise and likely inevitable collapse of the 2007 Red Sox.

Lots of things to be stoked about this season:

Lugo at SS (Though Gonzalez's glove might be missed)

Pedroia at 2B

Drew in RF

Matsuzaka

oh.. I'll go on record now: 3.85 - 175 K - 1.12 WHIP - 16W very good for the AL-E but not great

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting side by side comparison of Matsuzaka and Oswalt's motion. Apparently his delivery is very similar to Pedro's as well.

LInk >

No, I don't thiink he's going to be as good as Pedro in his prime.

' date='Mar 7 2007, 12:10 PM' post='6437701']

' date='Mar 7 2007, 11:59 AM' post='6437623']No, I don't thiink he's going to be as good as Pedro in his prime.
Really going out on a limb there, eh icon?
You know damn well If I hadn't posted that some tard would have said I was claiming lil nipper was the next pedro.
Only Boston could come up with that offensive of a nickname... :thumbup:

Why don't you give us some real information and tell us who the closer will be when the dust settles?

Timlin?

Piniero?

Hansen?

Papsmear?

Fantasy Baseball minds would like to know.

Why don't you give us some real information and tell us who the closer will be when the dust settles?Timlin?Piniero?Hansen?Papsmear?Fantasy Baseball minds would like to know.
NOBODY knows.... timlin? Old... allows too many inherited runners to scorePiniero? Coming off down year... converting from starter... sucks this spring so far (early)Hansen? Recently hurt... huge potential but that don't mean squat till he gets it togetherPapelbon? Docs shut him down last year.... arm not really built for closing. Will likelly start most of the year if not all.Pen is the Sox weakness this year

I am really excited about this year. We have a bona fide number 1 in Matsuzaka, Schilling is still solid, although a little brittle. Jury is still out on Beckett. He had a real tough time with the gopher ball, if he solves that he should be good. Wakefield is what he is - a solid # 4, can throw a ton of innings, can be a swingman if needed . . . etc.

Obviously defense concerns me a little, but that offense should be awesome. The JD Drew contract was ridiculous, but when he plays, he is unbelievable.

' date='Mar 7 2007, 09:11 AM' post='6436965']Time for my annual fanboy Red Sox thread where we will track the Rise and likely inevitable collapse of the 2007 Red Sox. Lots of things to be stoked about this season:Lugo at SS (Though Gonzalez's glove might be missed)Pedroia at 2B Drew in RFNixon's gone :confused: Vartiek is one year olderStarting Rotation appears to be among the best in the majors:SchillingBeckettMatsuzakaPapelbonWakefieild--LesterSpeaking of Matsuzaka.... he had a stellar outing against the Marlins yesterday and apparently unveiled his "GyroBall".... a pitch some had begun to wonder if it really exists. Well.... reports from Marlins hitters?

“It’s a pitch that’s somewhere between a changeup and a splitter but it’s got a sideways spin,” said Stokes. “It’s like a split, but it’s slower, more movement.”
“He threw four different pitches to me - a fastball, slider, gyro and curve,” said Stokes. On the gyro, “He threw it up and in. I could see it was obviously a ball right away. I’m thinking ‘Get out of the way.’ It kind of backs up on you.”
“It looks like a split, but it’s slower,” said Hermida. “It didn’t have the same spin as a split. It had its own unique character.”
“It’s got a good, hard and downward break but comes out with more speed than a changeup,” he said. “It comes out of the hand good and then it just dies on you.”
Of course Matsuzaka and red Sox Pitching Coach both denied that was the Gyroball and just said he happens to turn over his changeup.. hence the unconventional movement. Either way... he threw 3 scoreless frames with 3 Ks. Not bad for a first outing against MLB hitters this year. But then again.. it is just spring training...oh.. I'll go on record now: 3.85 - 175 K - 1.12 WHIP - 16W very good for the AL-E but not great
3.85 ERA would put him 4th in the AL east175 Ks - 2nd16 Wins - 3rdWHIP - 3rdIf he finishes with those numbers, that is great...not very good, but great

' date='Mar 7 2007, 09:11 AM' post='6436965']Time for my annual fanboy Red Sox thread where we will track the Rise and likely inevitable collapse of the 2007 Red Sox. Lots of things to be stoked about this season:Lugo at SS (Though Gonzalez's glove might be missed)Pedroia at 2B Drew in RFNixon's gone :( Vartiek is one year olderStarting Rotation appears to be among the best in the majors:SchillingBeckettMatsuzakaPapelbonWakefieild--LesterSpeaking of Matsuzaka.... he had a stellar outing against the Marlins yesterday and apparently unveiled his "GyroBall".... a pitch some had begun to wonder if it really exists. Well.... reports from Marlins hitters?

“It’s a pitch that’s somewhere between a changeup and a splitter but it’s got a sideways spin,” said Stokes. “It’s like a split, but it’s slower, more movement.”
“He threw four different pitches to me - a fastball, slider, gyro and curve,” said Stokes. On the gyro, “He threw it up and in. I could see it was obviously a ball right away. I’m thinking ‘Get out of the way.’ It kind of backs up on you.”
“It looks like a split, but it’s slower,” said Hermida. “It didn’t have the same spin as a split. It had its own unique character.”
“It’s got a good, hard and downward break but comes out with more speed than a changeup,” he said. “It comes out of the hand good and then it just dies on you.”
Of course Matsuzaka and red Sox Pitching Coach both denied that was the Gyroball and just said he happens to turn over his changeup.. hence the unconventional movement. Either way... he threw 3 scoreless frames with 3 Ks. Not bad for a first outing against MLB hitters this year. But then again.. it is just spring training...oh.. I'll go on record now: 3.85 - 175 K - 1.12 WHIP - 16W very good for the AL-E but not great
3.85 ERA would put him 4th in the AL east175 Ks - 2nd16 Wins - 3rdWHIP - 3rdIf he finishes with those numbers, that is great...not very good, but great
Nice that you're ranking him in a field that consists of 1/6th of MLB and 1/3 of the AL. Yes.. I know those numbers are very solid in the hard hitting AL East... but IMHO they're not "great" . To me great is Pedros Sub-3 Era or pulling down 20 games while striking out 250. I think he'll be a very good pitcher who will perform between #1 and #2 level starter... Of course, how the guy will handle the Boston media is a completele wildcard.. as is his heath (he's thrown a lot of pitches for a 26 year old.

Great day on the mound for boston's starters again today vs the Mets:

Wakefield - 3IP - 4H - 0R - 1BB - 3K

Papelbon - 3IP - 1H - 0R - 1BB - 4K

Obviously very early but you gottta like Papelbon's numbers so far this spring:

5IP - 1H - 0R - 1BB - 8K

He was hitting the mid 90s on the gun today.

Lugo, Drew, and Pedroia are all decent enough additions, but they won't be difference makers.

Pitching wins, and their starting pitching looks to be the best in the AL, and their relievers good enough.

But your not going to win the title without a good closer. Period. Pineiro won't cut it. Neither will Timlin, Taveras, or any of those guys. You HAVE to have a good closer. A month or less into the season, I wouldn't be surprised to see Papelbon return to closing.

As a Yankee fan, I hope you stick with Pineiro.

Lugo, Drew, and Pedroia are all decent enough additions, but they won't be difference makers.Pitching wins, and their starting pitching looks to be the best in the AL, and their relievers good enough.But your not going to win the title without a good closer. Period. Pineiro won't cut it. Neither will Timlin, Taveras, or any of those guys. You HAVE to have a good closer. A month or less into the season, I wouldn't be surprised to see Papelbon return to closing.As a Yankee fan, I hope you stick with Pineiro.
What makes you think Lugo, Drew, and Pedria won't make a difference this year? One could argue the Sox migiht have IMRPOVED at a few positions:NIXON (2006) : 114G - 8HR - .760 OPSDREW (2006) : 145G - 20HR - .880OPS (and he projects to improve on this in fenway this year)AGONZ (2006) : 111G - 9HR - .696 OPSLUGO (2006) : 122G - 12HR - .871 OPS LORETTA (2006): 155G - 5HR - .716 OPSPEDROIA (2006 AAA): 111G - 5HR - .684 OPS In the case of Nixon vs Drew I think Drew is a clear upgrade over Nixon. While Drew might be injury prone, so was Nixon and Boston still has one of the best 4th OFs in the majors behind him in Wily Mo Pena. Drew should be a potent #5 guy this year behind Manny/PapiLugo is head and shoulders above Gonzalez with the bat and should provide a much needed offensive boost at the postion. He's no AGON with the glove but he's no slouch either. I think this is a nice upgrade as Lugo is poised to get much better over the next few years. Pedroia is a kid and the sox are expecting nothing more from him than to be a #9 hitter and do what he does... and that is be a patience/singles guy. He has ennough speed to stretch a few doubles as well. He might be a sligiht step down from Loretta but IMHO not a huge one... and boston doesn't need him to fill Loretta's shoes in the lineup.. they only need a #9 guy out of him.IMHO the Sox have improved offensively over last year. The Starting Rotation should be LIGHT YEARS better... the only missing piece of the puzzle is the pen. Boston is working in a lot of their young arms early in Spring Training this season and anyone who shows promise should have a chance with the big club t his year (eg Bryce Cox). Unfortunately we don't have many guys that are ready for prime time right now. Should be interesting. I certainly don't think Boston is a lock for 1st in the East but they'll be in the running.

Finless said:
The Sox have a great shot. Perry ranking them 5th is laughable. I figure them for AL Champs this year. Yankees most likely will miss the playoffs.
While I'd love to believe this I just have a hard time writing the Yankees off... ever. They will be in the running again this year.. they always are.

' date='Mar 7 2007, 08:17 PM' post='6440420']

Finless said:
The Sox have a great shot. Perry ranking them 5th is laughable. I figure them for AL Champs this year. Yankees most likely will miss the playoffs.
While I'd love to believe this I just have a hard time writing the Yankees off... ever. They will be in the running again this year.. they always are.
The Yanks are going to miss the playoffs eventually, but one of the things I've really been impressed with the past two seaosns has been thier resiliency...Both seasons were marked by injuries, uncertainty, etc during the year, and they were able to battle through both times...Now obviously it is easier to be resilient when you have the Yanks resources, but I wouldn't count them out until they are actually out....

' date='Mar 7 2007, 10:11 AM' post='6436965']Starting Rotation appears to be among the best in the majors:SchillingBeckettMatsuzakaPapelbonWakefield
That isn't even fair... :thumbup: I wish MLB would call off the season now. That's the nastiest rotation I've ever seen.Season Prediction:139-233-0 (ALDS)4-0 (ALCS)4-0 (WS)

' date='Mar 7 2007, 10:11 AM' post='6436965']Starting Rotation appears to be among the best in the majors:SchillingBeckettMatsuzakaPapelbonWakefield
That isn't even fair... :( I wish MLB would call off the season now. That's the nastiest rotation I've ever seen.Season Prediction:139-233-0 (ALDS)4-0 (ALCS)4-0 (WS)
:thumbup: My guess was 100-102 wins but we'll take 139 if you're offerin em up

icon and other Sox fans. --- where do you get most of your sox info? For me its the Globe, Dirtdogs and some SOSH at times.

THE AL is brutual and I think whomever doesnt win the AL east does not make the playoffs.AL central is loaded.
I was all over this early last year but this year I think it's a little early to call that...Sox are a significantly stronger team than last year. Al Central will chew itself up a bit much in the same way the AL East has in recent years.

' date='Mar 7 2007, 11:59 AM' post='6437623']

& it starts...3 posts in to the sox thread a ####### yankee fan has to add his 2 cents to an obvious statement. #### the yankees!
And it starts...30 posts in and a Red Sox fan overreacts to a Yankee fan's post that was obviously a sarcastic/jokey response to an obvious statement...It's a marathon, not a sprint...

You get that worked up over everything a Yankee fan says and you won't make it until the All Star Break

' date='Mar 7 2007, 10:11 AM' post='6436965']Starting Rotation appears to be among the best in the majors:

Schilling

Beckett

Matsuzaka

Papelbon

Wakefield
That isn't even fair... :thumbup: I wish MLB would call off the season now. That's the nastiest rotation I've ever seen.

Season Prediction:

139-23

3-0 (ALDS)

4-0 (ALCS)

4-0 (WS)
Hyperbole...or have you just been watching baseball for two years?

Uggla said he thought he would get hit by the first Matsuzaka pitch, but it broke over the plate for a strike.

''When your curveball doesn't break until it hits the dirt area, that's when you know you've got good stuff,'' Uggla said.

Later, Uggla said matter-of-factly, ``He'll be a dominating pitcher.''
http://www.miamiherald.com/591/story/33804.html
One talent evaluator emailed me after seeing Matsuzaka this afternoon and here are his thoughts (using the 20-80 scouting scale) on his second stateside appearance. Keep in mind, it’s only early March, and things are just warming up. On a statistical level, Matsuzaka fired three scoreless innings, allowing two hits and one walk while striking out three.

Fastball: 60 (91-92 mph) w/ 60+ movement

Slider: 60/65 – his best pitch today

Curve: 50 – not real sharp, hung a few

Change: 60 – really turns it over, most just 75 mph; big separation from FB

Pitchability: 70 – mixed it up, uses offspeed pitches in FB counts

Mystique: 80

Japanese Media: 10,000

The scout added that Matsuzaka’s command and control was only average, but also bet it’s normally better than that.

To the scout, he looked like a No. 2 or 3 starter for now, as he didn’t see that one dominating 70+ offering one normally sees in top-level starter, but again, it’s early.
http://baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?...aff7b300f2388bfmy Dice-K projection: 3.89 190IP 62BB 169K 15W

' date='Mar 7 2007, 08:16 PM' post='6440411']

Lugo, Drew, and Pedroia are all decent enough additions, but they won't be difference makers.Pitching wins, and their starting pitching looks to be the best in the AL, and their relievers good enough.But your not going to win the title without a good closer. Period. Pineiro won't cut it. Neither will Timlin, Taveras, or any of those guys. You HAVE to have a good closer. A month or less into the season, I wouldn't be surprised to see Papelbon return to closing.As a Yankee fan, I hope you stick with Pineiro.
What makes you think Lugo, Drew, and Pedria won't make a difference this year? One could argue the Sox migiht have IMRPOVED at a few positions:NIXON (2006) : 114G - 8HR - .760 OPSDREW (2006) : 145G - 20HR - .880OPS (and he projects to improve on this in fenway this year)AGONZ (2006) : 111G - 9HR - .696 OPSLUGO (2006) : 122G - 12HR - .871 OPS LORETTA (2006): 155G - 5HR - .716 OPSPEDROIA (2006 AAA): 111G - 5HR - .684 OPS In the case of Nixon vs Drew I think Drew is a clear upgrade over Nixon. While Drew might be injury prone, so was Nixon and Boston still has one of the best 4th OFs in the majors behind him in Wily Mo Pena. Drew should be a potent #5 guy this year behind Manny/PapiLugo is head and shoulders above Gonzalez with the bat and should provide a much needed offensive boost at the postion. He's no AGON with the glove but he's no slouch either. I think this is a nice upgrade as Lugo is poised to get much better over the next few years. Pedroia is a kid and the sox are expecting nothing more from him than to be a #9 hitter and do what he does... and that is be a patience/singles guy. He has ennough speed to stretch a few doubles as well. He might be a sligiht step down from Loretta but IMHO not a huge one... and boston doesn't need him to fill Loretta's shoes in the lineup.. they only need a #9 guy out of him.IMHO the Sox have improved offensively over last year. The Starting Rotation should be LIGHT YEARS better... the only missing piece of the puzzle is the pen. Boston is working in a lot of their young arms early in Spring Training this season and anyone who shows promise should have a chance with the big club t his year (eg Bryce Cox). Unfortunately we don't have many guys that are ready for prime time right now. Should be interesting. I certainly don't think Boston is a lock for 1st in the East but they'll be in the running.
You said it yourself: Pedroia is a step down from Loretta; Lugo is a step down defensively from Gonzalez...which I believe is more important than his hitting to the team: and Drew might be ok if he plays. I'll say it again, maybe a slight improvement overall, but not difference making. If Daisuke pans out, and so far there's no reason to doubt it, and Boston solves the closer situation, they should win the East.

While I think that this staff has the potential to be the best......I'm not seeing it as being lock stock and barrel. is Schilling scary anymore? Is Beckett as good as he's supposed to be? I think D-K will be a good pitcher the first time around....but I'd like to see him get multiple starts against teams before I'm saying he's an ace.... Wakefield is consistent...and as a 5 isn't counted on for much....and Papellblown is decent but might be pulled for the pen.

' date='Mar 7 2007, 10:11 AM' post='6436965']Starting Rotation appears to be among the best in the majors:

Schilling

Beckett

Matsuzaka

Papelbon

Wakefield
That isn't even fair... :goodposting: I wish MLB would call off the season now. That's the nastiest rotation I've ever seen.

Season Prediction:

139-23

3-0 (ALDS)

4-0 (ALCS)

4-0 (WS)
Hyperbole...or have you just been watching baseball for two years?
I've been watching baseball for 35 years -- and I'm a Yankee fan.Bring in that sarcasm detector for an oil change.

' date='Mar 7 2007, 11:59 AM' post='6437623']

& it starts...3 posts in to the sox thread a ####### yankee fan has to add his 2 cents to an obvious statement. #### the yankees!
And it starts...30 posts in and a Red Sox fan overreacts to a Yankee fan's post that was obviously a sarcastic/jokey response to an obvious statement...It's a marathon, not a sprint...

You get that worked up over everything a Yankee fan says and you won't make it until the All Star Break
don't you sweat sweetheart, i'm in for the long haul. make a typical jerkoff yankee response, expect a typical jerkoff boston response. let's rock brother! :shock:

in other news, I recently caught the documentary "Still We Believe" and thought to myself "you couldn't script a story to make people hate Red Sox fans more."

Truth is more ####### annoying than fiction.

Schilling - 40 yr old

Beckett - slightly better than Pavano

Matsuzaka - untested against batters without spring training rust

Papelbon - wear and tear issues after a year as a closer, now he's starting

Wakefieild - as old as Satchel Paige, but white.
clearly the AL East is the Sox's to lose

What are the chances Bryce Cox fills the closer role?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove06/c...&id=2732610

• Bryce Cox (Red Sox): Another June 2006 draftee and a good bet to be the first pitcher from that draft to show up in the majors, Cox changed his arm action a few weeks before the draft and suddenly became a strike-throwing ground ball machine.

from the Bradford Blog:

Gregson talked glowingly of Bryce Cox, the draft pick from Rice University last season. Many feel like Cox could make the jump to the majors by the end of the year, and it's not only because of his 93-94 mph sinking fastball. Gregson said that it takes a special guy to be the one to "shake the hand of the catcher at the end of the game," by most accounts Cox could eventually be one to execute that task somewhere down the road. "He's got great mound presence and great make-up," Gregson said. "Combine that with his stuff and he's a guy who could help you get to the end of the end of the game."

An example of Cox's resiliency came in an instructional league game, Gregson said, when the pitcher was asked to throw a change-up for the first time in a game situation. The pitch was rocked for a home run, but Cox kept on throwing it and has developed, by all accounts, a pretty good change.

Minor league pitching coordinator Ralph Truel wouldn't say how Cox would be used initially, but would only add, "he will be pitching innings of value." Last season he was used two innings ever two days.
from today's Globe notebook:
By Amalie Benjamin, Globe Staff | March 20, 2007

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- It's not quite as dramatic as the Keith Foulke delivery -- the one in which Foulke looked as if he were almost pushing the ball toward home plate -- but Bryce Cox's modified delivery features a short arm action that calls to mind the former Red Sox closer.

And with some more development in the minor leagues, and a continued adjustment to the new motion, Cox could follow Foulke (and Jonathan Papelbon, and whoever is anointed closer this season) into that role on the Sox. Not that the reliever is getting too far ahead of himself. He's just trying to work on his pitches and figure out where he'll start the season.

"Just trying to get back on my feet, get back where I was last year at the end of the season," said Cox, who throws a fastball with some oomph, a slider that has been labeled nasty, and a changeup that's "coming along, not near ready."

Last year, Cox went 0-1 with a 1.59 ERA over 5 2/3 innings at Lowell, after being taken in the third round of the 2006 draft out of Rice. Then he really got going, compiling a 2-0 record with a 0.74 ERA in 13 games and 24 1/3 innings at Wilmington.

His delivery was altered, and after an adjustment period, he started to feel comfortable.

"It was definitely a change for the positive, a change for the better," said Cox, who yesterday threw 10 pitches (all fastballs) and got a called strikeout in one inning of the Triple A game at the minor league complex.

"I was struggling with command in the zone, changed my arm action up a little bit, and it's been a little bit easier for me to stay in the zone.

"More or less, it's just a short arm action. Shorter, more to the point, more direct."

And as for closing?

"I've obviously been in relief more, so I've figured out my pitching; definitely I'm comfortable relieving," Cox said. "If it's closing, that's awesome. If it's coming in in the middle of a game, that's awesome also."

Daisuke's line: 5 2/3 IP, 1 hit

By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff

Daisuke Matsuzaka walked off the mound to warm applause after being lifted with two outs in the sixth, his last batter, Dan Kelly, going down on strikes. Dice-K retired 15 of the last 16 batters he faced, and allowed just one hit, a single by Adam LaRoche in the first. He threw 92 pitches, 61 for strikes.

:hot:

Debuting the new Avatar for baseball season.... time to put Gay Jeter on the back burner for a while and pimp the Sox newest import.

Finless said:
I hate the Yankees with the white-hot passion of a thousand fiery suns.This is a bit much.

Schilling - slightly older than Mussina

Beckett - slightly better than Pavano, unless of course you count that PAVANO DIDN'T EVEN PITCH IN 2006

Matsuzaka - untested against batters without spring training rust. In other words, JUST LIKE KEI IGAWA...BUT...BETTER AND STUFF.

Papelbon - wear and tear issues after a year as a closer, now he's starting

Wakefieild - as old as Satchel Paige, but white. This would be far more pertinent, of course, if he wasn't a knuckleballer.

clearly the AL East is the Sox's to lose
I figured I'd do a little re-editing for you. :pickle:

Users who are viewing this thread