What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ted Thompson should be fired (1 Viewer)

Carl Spackler

Footballguy
Ok, he did have a great draft last year, and brought in ONE decent FA, one Ok FA, and a couple HORRIBLE FA's, but nothing to really help this team immediately.

He says Ron Wolf was his mentor? I call bullcrap on that. Wolf brought in many free agents to help build a winner, also made many trades to help build a winner. What has TT done? Brought in a couple has-beens and never-will-be's. Sure he's drafted ok, but he cannot count on drafting like that every year. A true winning team is built with a good combination of draftees and FA's as well as mixing in good trades. TT will not do this.

Green Bay is $30 Million under the cap or thereabouts. Why is he not moving to make this team better? there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for not maxing out the cap to help your team get better. Randy McMichael would have been a GREAT start as they need a seasoned TE to get that group solidified. Why was TT not in there fighting for him? No he'll draft a TE this year, a year that is VERY weak on TE's. Yea, that'll really help us out in what could be Favres last year.

I'm very angry and frustrated with TT's inability to see the need to make this team better NOW. Who knows what will happen in the future? They have a great base right now, with some key FA acquisitions they could make a SERIOUS run this year in a very weak NFC. Without any quality FA's this team will remain stagnant, and not improve much at all.

Flame away

:lmao: :shock:

Here is one Packer fan that completely disagrees with you.

I said in another thread. I don't want the Packers to be playoff contenders. I want them to be Super Bowl contenders. We need alot more pieces to get there. Spending money foolishly on players is not going to accomplish that.

TT had an awesome draft last year (although I wish he took Ngata instead of Hawk). And the Pickett signing was fantastic. His other free agent signins were low cost/low risk veterans. Lets not forget reupping Kampman to a great deal.

When the core is in place, thats when I expect TT to make some bold free agent signings. People are clamoring for him to make stupid moves like trading for Randy Moss just because its a name. I say I would rather have a Brandon Stokley for $8,000,000 less.

TT will do what he did last season, let other teams make average players rich, and then he will look for the bargains.

You build champions through the draft. Look at key players on the COlts O, for example - Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Saturday, Tarik Glenn, Dallas Clark, Dominic Rhodes, Joseph Addai. All home grown.

I'm still undecided on TT. Woodson and Pickett were pretty darn good last year the other guys not so much. As for McMichael...no thanks...talented yes but how many times has he been in trouble? Graham would have been my choice. We do need another safety and figured TT would get one via free agency...other than that who is available that you would want to give big money to? It's early in free agency, when all is said and done I think we will have some nice additions.

I said in another thread. I don't want the Packers to be playoff contenders. I want them to be Super Bowl contenders. We need alot more pieces to get there. Spending money foolishly on players is not going to accomplish that.

TT had an awesome draft last year (although I wish he took Ngata instead of Hawk). And the Pickett signing was fantastic. His other free agent signins were low cost/low risk veterans. Lets not forget reupping Kampman to a great deal.

When the core is in place, thats when I expect TT to make some bold free agent signings. People are clamoring for him to make stupid moves like trading for Randy Moss just because its a name. I say I would rather have a Brandon Stokley for $8,000,000 less.

TT will do what he did last season, let other teams make average players rich, and then he will look for the bargains.

You build champions through the draft. Look at key players on the COlts O, for example - Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Saturday, Tarik Glenn, Dallas Clark, Dominic Rhodes, Joseph Addai. All home grown.

[/quote

Stokley can't stay healthy...we already have a WR like that...other than that I agree with pretty much everything else.

Here is one Packer fan that completely disagrees with you.I said in another thread. I don't want the Packers to be playoff contenders. I want them to be Super Bowl contenders. We need alot more pieces to get there. Spending money foolishly on players is not going to accomplish that.TT had an awesome draft last year (although I wish he took Ngata instead of Hawk). And the Pickett signing was fantastic. His other free agent signins were low cost/low risk veterans. Lets not forget reupping Kampman to a great deal.When the core is in place, thats when I expect TT to make some bold free agent signings. People are clamoring for him to make stupid moves like trading for Randy Moss just because its a name. I say I would rather have a Brandon Stokley for $8,000,000 less. TT will do what he did last season, let other teams make average players rich, and then he will look for the bargains.You build champions through the draft. Look at key players on the COlts O, for example - Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Saturday, Tarik Glenn, Dallas Clark, Dominic Rhodes, Joseph Addai. All home grown.
:shock: You summed it up pretty well.And for the record, I believe they are only about $21 MM under the cap...not $30 MM

Ok, he did have a great draft last year, and brought in ONE decent FA, one Ok FA, and a couple HORRIBLE FA's, but nothing to really help this team immediately.He says Ron Wolf was his mentor? I call bullcrap on that. Wolf brought in many free agents to help build a winner, also made many trades to help build a winner. What has TT done? Brought in a couple has-beens and never-will-be's. Sure he's drafted ok, but he cannot count on drafting like that every year. A true winning team is built with a good combination of draftees and FA's as well as mixing in good trades. TT will not do this.Green Bay is $30 Million under the cap or thereabouts. Why is he not moving to make this team better? there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for not maxing out the cap to help your team get better. Randy McMichael would have been a GREAT start as they need a seasoned TE to get that group solidified. Why was TT not in there fighting for him? No he'll draft a TE this year, a year that is VERY weak on TE's. Yea, that'll really help us out in what could be Favres last year.I'm very angry and frustrated with TT's inability to see the need to make this team better NOW. Who knows what will happen in the future? They have a great base right now, with some key FA acquisitions they could make a SERIOUS run this year in a very weak NFC. Without any quality FA's this team will remain stagnant, and not improve much at all.Flame away:bag: :shock:
His only horribe FA move this past year was Manuel. To the defense of that pick up. Manuel's strength was his physical play near the line, tackling in the running game. The prior year pass coverage was good, run defense stunk. Seemed to be a good fit. Well...the additions at LB helped in the run game, but his coverage deficiencies were exposed.He brought in Pickett, Woodson, kept Kampman who would have gotten a nice payday to leave.He waited last year too and signed some good guys to fit in with the team. His rep is to let the dust settle, and then see where you stand. Don't overpay for guys and minimize the risk of a bust killing the team cap wise. He is the opposite of Sherman and I love that.As for McMichael...other than blowing him out of the water, do you think they even had a chance? With Linehan in St. Louis? The Rams were trying to possibly trade for him before he was released...and had him in right away.Olsen and Miller are very solid TEs actually.

One team.... I'll cite this team: Reggie White, Santana Dotson, Keith Jackson, Brett Favre, Andre Rison, Don Beebe, Eugene Robinson, Desmond Howard, Sean Jones.All either FA signings or trades. Mixed with good draft choices.

They have a good base right now along with the most important part, a still solid QB in Favre. Now is the time to make the moves.

I'm still undecided on TT. Woodson and Pickett were pretty darn good last year the other guys not so much. As for McMichael...no thanks...talented yes but how many times has he been in trouble? Graham would have been my choice. We do need another safety and figured TT would get one via free agency...other than that who is available that you would want to give big money to? It's early in free agency, when all is said and done I think we will have some nice additions.
Graham got 15 mil guaranteed for a guy known as a blocking TE. Im glad TT did not pay that kind of money for that.

Who exactly was out there that you wanted them to sign? This FA class might have been the worst since FA started because teams have learned to tie up there potential FAs before they hit the market.

What they should do now is re-sign the young talent they have that they may want to keep to long-term deals well before they will hit FA a la what Philadelphia did with Shaun Andrews, Reggie Brown, Mike Patterson, Trent Cole. The Andrews 7 year-40 million deal looks like a bargain already. But you can't wait until the year before you have to take a shot and re-sign them 2 years before they're eligible.

One team.... I'll cite this team: Reggie White, Santana Dotson, Keith Jackson, Brett Favre, Andre Rison, Don Beebe, Eugene Robinson, Desmond Howard, Sean Jones.All either FA signings or trades. Mixed with good draft choices.

They have a good base right now along with the most important part, a still solid QB in Favre. Now is the time to make the moves.
The core was in place when they made the Reggie White/Sean Jones . . . etc. signing. Favre and Butler, were products of shrewd Ron Wolf trades. I would love to see TT make a trade like that, but it is rare to see young talent traded for picks (i.e. 1st or 2nd year guys like Favre and Butler). Wolf built up quite a team through the draft - Brooks, Freeman, Timmerman, Rogers, Koonce, Chmura, Simmons, Gabe Wilkins . . . etc.

Who exactly was out there that you wanted them to sign? This FA class might have been the worst since FA started because teams have learned to tie up there potential FAs before they hit the market.What they should do now is re-sign the young talent they have that they may want to keep to long-term deals well before they will hit FA a la what Philadelphia did with Shaun Andrews, Reggie Brown, Mike Patterson, Trent Cole. The Andrews 7 year-40 million deal looks like a bargain already. But you can't wait until the year before you have to take a shot and re-sign them 2 years before they're eligible.
Travis Henry is about the only guy I thought was good enough to really go after.I would have liked Drew Bennett as well...playing the compliment to Driver as he did to Mason.

The core was in place when they made the Reggie White/Sean Jones . . . etc. signing. Favre and Butler, were products of shrewd Ron Wolf trades. I would love to see TT make a trade like that, but it is rare to see young talent traded for picks (i.e. 1st or 2nd year guys like Favre and Butler). Wolf built up quite a team through the draft - Brooks, Freeman, Timmerman, Rogers, Koonce, Chmura, Simmons, Gabe Wilkins . . . etc.
Exactly...that team was already a good team on the verge of being a SB contender. Not a rebuilding team still building the core.

Who exactly was out there that you wanted them to sign? This FA class might have been the worst since FA started because teams have learned to tie up there potential FAs before they hit the market.What they should do now is re-sign the young talent they have that they may want to keep to long-term deals well before they will hit FA a la what Philadelphia did with Shaun Andrews, Reggie Brown, Mike Patterson, Trent Cole. The Andrews 7 year-40 million deal looks like a bargain already. But you can't wait until the year before you have to take a shot and re-sign them 2 years before they're eligible.
And I was just going to cite Philadelphia as well, as a team that builds through the draft and then adds some free agents. But I think many Eagle fans will say that the big time $$$ free agents just didn't work out (see Owens, Terrel; Kearse, Javon). Andy Reid has it down to a science. Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent are aging? Here comes Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown in the draft (with Michael Lewis to boot). And they have made drafting O Lineman a science (and I can't remember how many people were bashing their Shaun Andrews pick. They traded up for him!!!! Now he is one of the best guards in the NFL).

On who? Adding mediocre players and paying them well more than they deserve is not the way you build a team.

What moves? Do you really think there are any free agents that offer what the Packers don't already have?(only their own players are younger and much, much cheaper)Signing someone like McMichael or Curtis would improve our team how exactly?

Thompson is doing it the right way. He's building through the draft and being prudent in FA. Look at teams like the Redskins or the Seahawks. How did bringing in all those free-agents work out for the Skins? And what baout the Seahawks signing Wistrom two years ago, for $14 million of upfront money. And now he's cut. Or Atlanta signing Hartwell, for stupid money two years ago, now he's cut. The list goes on and on.

No, Ted is doing it the right way.

Travis Henry is about the only guy I thought was good enough to really go after.I would have liked Drew Bennett as well...playing the compliment to Driver as he did to Mason.
Just to touch on receivers a bit. I still wouldn't mind the Pack offering a deal to Kelly Washington. But one guy I am keeping an eye on is Kevin Curtis. He left Detroit and Minnesota without a contract. He could be had on the cheap, and this guy is a fantastic receiver. Has experience playing in the slot and as the # 2 receiver (where he put up awesome numbers).

Just to touch on receivers a bit. I still wouldn't mind the Pack offering a deal to Kelly Washington. But one guy I am keeping an eye on is Kevin Curtis. He left Detroit and Minnesota without a contract. He could be had on the cheap, and this guy is a fantastic receiver. Has experience playing in the slot and as the # 2 receiver (where he put up awesome numbers).
I'd much rather they sign Washington than Curtis. What they need is someone who can really stretch the field.

Im kind of pushing for Antonio Bryant...or making a deal for Darrel Jackson.

I'd much rather they sign Washington than Curtis. What they need is someone who can really stretch the field.
Curtis can stretch the field. He is lightning fast. But if they can get Washington alot cheaper, I am all for Washington, I think he has a lot of talent and was just stuck behind some very good receivers in Cincy.

Once their Oline and running game can be depended on, then they should put up the coin for the key players. No use in spending bick bucks now when they still have a lot to figure out in the running game. And there is no need to overspend there either. Build that through the draft like they have and I expect them to continue to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im kind of pushing for Antonio Bryant...or making a deal for Darrel Jackson.
I am sure Bryant would take a 1 year deal, and he is a great talent, but after KROB, I wonder if TT wants the headache.

Here is one Packer fan that completely disagrees with you.I said in another thread. I don't want the Packers to be playoff contenders. I want them to be Super Bowl contenders. We need alot more pieces to get there. Spending money foolishly on players is not going to accomplish that.TT had an awesome draft last year (although I wish he took Ngata instead of Hawk). And the Pickett signing was fantastic. His other free agent signins were low cost/low risk veterans. Lets not forget reupping Kampman to a great deal.When the core is in place, thats when I expect TT to make some bold free agent signings. People are clamoring for him to make stupid moves like trading for Randy Moss just because its a name. I say I would rather have a Brandon Stokley for $8,000,000 less. TT will do what he did last season, let other teams make average players rich, and then he will look for the bargains.You build champions through the draft. Look at key players on the COlts O, for example - Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Saturday, Tarik Glenn, Dallas Clark, Dominic Rhodes, Joseph Addai. All home grown.
Pretty much.

I have a feeling we'll be sending you Portis for either a draft pick or KGB + picks. Then we resign Duckett.

There goes half of your $30M.

I have a feeling we'll be sending you Portis for either a draft pick or KGB + picks. Then we resign Duckett.There goes half of your $30M.
Id send KGB to you all for Portis in a second.As for 30 mil...Id have to look at the total differences...but KGB's contract is pretty high too...Just going off of the 2005 numbers.KGB's cap number was 3,601,708Portis' was 2,385,833

Ok, he did have a great draft last year, and brought in ONE decent FA, one Ok FA, and a couple HORRIBLE FA's, but nothing to really help this team immediately.He says Ron Wolf was his mentor? I call bullcrap on that. Wolf brought in many free agents to help build a winner, also made many trades to help build a winner. What has TT done? Brought in a couple has-beens and never-will-be's. Sure he's drafted ok, but he cannot count on drafting like that every year. A true winning team is built with a good combination of draftees and FA's as well as mixing in good trades. TT will not do this.Green Bay is $30 Million under the cap or thereabouts. Why is he not moving to make this team better? there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for not maxing out the cap to help your team get better. Randy McMichael would have been a GREAT start as they need a seasoned TE to get that group solidified. Why was TT not in there fighting for him? No he'll draft a TE this year, a year that is VERY weak on TE's. Yea, that'll really help us out in what could be Favres last year.I'm very angry and frustrated with TT's inability to see the need to make this team better NOW. Who knows what will happen in the future? They have a great base right now, with some key FA acquisitions they could make a SERIOUS run this year in a very weak NFC. Without any quality FA's this team will remain stagnant, and not improve much at all.Flame away
I hate to say this, but here is the typical Packer Fan, not paying attention to whats happened, is happening, and with NO regard to the future AT ALL. You cry when he doesnt make moves, then still cry when he does. Woodson and Pickett were decent or OK? Get real. Nope, those players did very little to help this team win 4 more games last year than the prior year. Those 8 ints by Woodson, well 15 other CB's had that, right? Yeah, Manual sucked. But Wolf never batted 1000 either, so lets not act like he was God. 30M under the cap does not = spend money like a complete idiot. Randy McMichael? Not paid much attention to what happened last year, did we? He's just like Bubba, except alot older. No thanks. Grahm got WAY more money than he's worth. Jamal Lewis? Washed up. McGahee? Not for two 3rd rounders, no way. Just because other teams overspend and make bonehead moves doesnt mean the Packers should too. There's nothing out there that will make an impact on this team. Take a look at the Redskins. EVERY YEAR they spend like drunken sailors, gobbling up every FA they can, and what have they got to show for it? Ted is building this team to be contenders year in and year out, not just this year. THATS what we should strive for. Brett is my all time favorite Packer. But I want the team to be great now AND when he's gone, and thats where we are headed. If we dont get him another ring, then we dont. He's still HoF, one of the best ever.

1) Guys like Reggie White simply are not available in free agency anymore. Period.2) Favre was a drunken party boy when Wolf dealt for him. It was a HUGE gamble that paid off. Are you suggesting that Ted T should gamble more?

3) Most of the guys you referenced (Beebe, Robinson, Howard, Jones) were key role players -- but not superstars. Doesn't seem much different than bringing in a Ryan Pickett or an aging Charles Woodson.

4) Keith Jackson only came to GB because of Reggie.

5) As someone else mentioned, the Packers had ALREADY built a core base through the draft. Edgar Bennett, Dorsey Levens, Antonio Freeman, Robert Brooks, a really solid O-line (e.g., Aaron Taylor and Adam Timmerman), Leroy Butler, Wayne Simmons, Tyrone Williams, Craig Newsome, etc etc. Our base was pretty f'ing good when we signed Beebe, Robinson, Howard, et al. The ONLY two guys who were huge deals - Reggie and Favre. And again, guys like Reggie simply are not available in free agency. The dude was a top-5 defensive player of all-time. Teams don't let those guys get away anymore.

I agree with you, and it seems like we're pretty much on the same page. I'm just frustrated that they didn't go after McMichael, a Drew Bennett, Joe Horn (although he is up there in age) maybe a Travis Taylor, or Dom Rhodes. No I don't want him just to go out and spend to spend, but I want him to help the team get better.

And I was just going to cite Philadelphia as well, as a team that builds through the draft and then adds some free agents. But I think many Eagle fans will say that the big time $$$ free agents just didn't work out (see Owens, Terrel; Kearse, Javon). Andy Reid has it down to a science. Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent are aging? Here comes Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown in the draft (with Michael Lewis to boot). And they have made drafting O Lineman a science (and I can't remember how many people were bashing their Shaun Andrews pick. They traded up for him!!!! Now he is one of the best guards in the NFL).
Don't forget Westbrook in round 3. God, what a great draft 2002 was for Philly:1. Lito Sheppard2a. Michael Lewis2b. Sheldon Brown3. Brian Westbrookand 7. Raheem Brock who is playing pretty good for IndyHere are the Eagles starters who were drafted by Philly:Donovan McNabbBrian WestbrookThomas TapehLJ SmithReggie BrownTodd HeremansTra ThomasShaun AndrewsMike PattersonTrent Cole (will go back to backup once Kearse returns)Jeremiah TrotterOmar GaitherSean ConsidineLito SheppardSheldon BrownBrian Dawkins 16 of 22 starters came from the draft. That's why they've been so good for the last 5 or 6 years. You get good through the draft.

Ok, he did have a great draft last year, and brought in ONE decent FA, one Ok FA, and a couple HORRIBLE FA's, but nothing to really help this team immediately.He says Ron Wolf was his mentor? I call bullcrap on that. Wolf brought in many free agents to help build a winner, also made many trades to help build a winner. What has TT done? Brought in a couple has-beens and never-will-be's. Sure he's drafted ok, but he cannot count on drafting like that every year. A true winning team is built with a good combination of draftees and FA's as well as mixing in good trades. TT will not do this.Green Bay is $30 Million under the cap or thereabouts. Why is he not moving to make this team better? there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for not maxing out the cap to help your team get better. Randy McMichael would have been a GREAT start as they need a seasoned TE to get that group solidified. Why was TT not in there fighting for him? No he'll draft a TE this year, a year that is VERY weak on TE's. Yea, that'll really help us out in what could be Favres last year.I'm very angry and frustrated with TT's inability to see the need to make this team better NOW. Who knows what will happen in the future? They have a great base right now, with some key FA acquisitions they could make a SERIOUS run this year in a very weak NFC. Without any quality FA's this team will remain stagnant, and not improve much at all.Flame away
I hate to say this, but here is the typical Packer Fan, not paying attention to whats happened, is happening, and with NO regard to the future AT ALL. You cry when he doesnt make moves, then still cry when he does. Woodson and Pickett were decent or OK? Get real. Nope, those players did very little to help this team win 4 more games last year than the prior year. Those 8 ints by Woodson, well 15 other CB's had that, right? Yeah, Manual sucked. But Wolf never batted 1000 either, so lets not act like he was God. 30M under the cap does not = spend money like a complete idiot. Randy McMichael? Not paid much attention to what happened last year, did we? He's just like Bubba, except alot older. No thanks. Grahm got WAY more money than he's worth. Jamal Lewis? Washed up. McGahee? Not for two 3rd rounders, no way. Just because other teams overspend and make bonehead moves doesnt mean the Packers should too. There's nothing out there that will make an impact on this team. Take a look at the Redskins. EVERY YEAR they spend like drunken sailors, gobbling up every FA they can, and what have they got to show for it? Ted is building this team to be contenders year in and year out, not just this year. THATS what we should strive for. Brett is my all time favorite Packer. But I want the team to be great now AND when he's gone, and thats where we are headed. If we dont get him another ring, then we dont. He's still HoF, one of the best ever.
:banned: :goodposting:

I agree with you, and it seems like we're pretty much on the same page. I'm just frustrated that they didn't go after McMichael, a Drew Bennett, Joe Horn (although he is up there in age) maybe a Travis Taylor, or Dom Rhodes. No I don't want him just to go out and spend to spend, but I want him to help the team get better.
Bennett is the only one that I thought they really should have.Rhodes...yeah, ok maybe...and I have said that.Horn? Not at that age.McMichael? Again, aside from completely throwing out a huge offer...do you really think they had a chance over the Rams with Linehan there?Travis Taylor? Why?

Green Bay is $30 Million under the cap or thereabouts. Why is he not moving to make this team better? there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for not maxing out the cap to help your team get better
yesterday i read an interview with "team capologist" Andrew Brandt. he stated that the Packers have used up every penny of their cap space each year since he's been there. the reason they don't use it in MARCH... is because you need to have money available throughout the entire year.they could throw huge sums of money at crapshoot free agents.. go in to training camp with zero free cap money and then be ####ED when someone gets hurt. use your head.TIAeta: this is why i don't listen to local sports radio. "gah, hey Chris.. duh Pack has tirty mil under dah cap. why ain't we signin' guys. we coulda had Moss, Travis Henry, Randy McMichael, Jeff Garcia as our QB uh da fuchure and den we couda signed up Jamal Lewis as our runnin' back and traded for dat guy from Buffalo.. MaFahee er whadever.. dat's less than tirty mil dis year. Thompson don't know what he's doin. Da Pack should fire him and hire Ron Wolf again. we won da Super Bowl wit him. yah.":wall:a rudimentary understanding is helpful when following your football/sports team.

I'm hearing rumors that Justin Griffith is all set to sign with Green Bay. Just finalizing some numbers and it could happen as soon as Monday.

Ok, he did have a great draft last year, and brought in ONE decent FA, one Ok FA, and a couple HORRIBLE FA's, but nothing to really help this team immediately.
what's the basis for thinking he can't have good --> great drafts for as long as he's here? just because? :banned:what he did with the FA market was not waste money on aging has-beens. Pickett was a HUGE reason that the front 4 improved. it freed up Cullen Jenkins to rush the passer on the interior.. and then to slide outside and replace KGB. he helped Kampmann turn in to a Pro Bowler. he helped keep the o-line off his linebackers.he drafted AJ Hawk, replaced the rotating OLB with Brady Poppinga and turned the weakest link on defense in to the strongest. he whiffed on Manuel but he brought in Charles Woodson who wound up having a Pro Bowl type season w/ 8 picks. our corners were absolute lockdown guys.
He says Ron Wolf was his mentor? I call bullcrap on that. Wolf brought in many free agents to help build a winner, also made many trades to help build a winner. What has TT done? Brought in a couple has-beens and never-will-be's. Sure he's drafted ok, but he cannot count on drafting like that every year. A true winning team is built with a good combination of draftees and FA's as well as mixing in good trades. TT will not do this.
OK. so you don't believe he tutored under Wolf. you don't think he can draft well. you think he should splash money all over the place on old guys with names. :lmao:Wolf/Holmgren hit the jackpot with Reggie White. more than the money they offered to other guys... it was REGGIE WHITE who brought those Free Agents in. they won the SB but suffered with the cap ramifications/holes in the roster for a few years after that. did you forget that people were calling for Holmgren to be fired?????? that Ray Rhodes was a total debacle and that the talent has slowly declined to the point where the team was basically bereft of talent/depth. that was all fallout from the SB run.you can make that decision when you have a solid/great team with good young talent and depth... when you have Favre, Driver and a bunch of nobodies you don't throw a ton of money at 1 or two guys. you build through the draft and pay the achievers on your team. there's usually a reason guys hit the market... they are either asking way too much or their current team feels they don't have it anymore.
Randy McMichael would have been a GREAT start as they need a seasoned TE to get that group solidified. Why was TT not in there fighting for him? No he'll draft a TE this year, a year that is VERY weak on TE's. Yea, that'll really help us out in what could be Favres last year.
Randy McMichael = fool's gold.knocks on the guy include: wife-beater, lacksadasical work ethic, shaky hands. basically he's a bad locker room guy. and we already have 3 guys with bad hands at that spot. i want to upgrade the TE's as bad as the next guy.. but McMichael????? seriously??? throw a big contract at a guy who is going to be a bad influence in the locker room and who won't consistently catch the ball?? OK
I'm very angry and frustrated with TT's inability to see the need to make this team better NOW. Who knows what will happen in the future? They have a great base right now, with some key FA acquisitions they could make a SERIOUS run this year in a very weak NFC. Without any quality FA's this team will remain stagnant, and not improve much at all.
and they could throw a bunch of money at duds (Henry? Lewis?? Rhodes???), go 8-8 because they don't have any depth and then be in salary cap hell for a couple years.if the NFC is weak this year and this is THE year... what's to say it will be any better next year? are all the other NFC GM's geniuses who are flying forward and next year there will be 12 teams jockeying for 6 playoff spots??highly doubtful.

Green Bay is $30 Million under the cap or thereabouts. Why is he not moving to make this team better? there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for not maxing out the cap to help your team get better
yesterday i read an interview with "team capologist" Andrew Brandt. he stated that the Packers have used up every penny of their cap space each year since he's been there. the reason they don't use it in MARCH... is because you need to have money available throughout the entire year.they could throw huge sums of money at crapshoot free agents.. go in to training camp with zero free cap money and then be ####ED when someone gets hurt. use your head.TIAeta: this is why i don't listen to local sports radio. "gah, hey Chris.. duh Pack has tirty mil under dah cap. why ain't we signin' guys. we coulda had Moss, Travis Henry, Randy McMichael, Jeff Garcia as our QB uh da fuchure and den we couda signed up Jamal Lewis as our runnin' back and traded for dat guy from Buffalo.. MaFahee er whadever.. dat's less than tirty mil dis year. Thompson don't know what he's doin. Da Pack should fire him and hire Ron Wolf again. we won da Super Bowl wit him. yah.":potkettle:a rudimentary understanding is helpful when following your football/sports team.
I didn't expect you would be in here with anything intelligent to say other than bashing.Thanks for your input:yawn:

Well, Randy McMichael was basically cut for David Martin. Shows you how good he really is and what his value is. Plus he's a criminal. Drew Bennett got a ton of cash for a player who is really a number 2 wideout. They tried to get Joe Horn, you can't hold a gun to his head. Travis Taylor is no better than Ruvell Martin. Dominic Rhodes is a possibility but he was soundly beaten out by a rookie last season so how good is he really?

I want him to help the team get better as well.

Ok, he did have a great draft last year, and brought in ONE decent FA, one Ok FA, and a couple HORRIBLE FA's, but nothing to really help this team immediately.He says Ron Wolf was his mentor? I call bullcrap on that. Wolf brought in many free agents to help build a winner, also made many trades to help build a winner. What has TT done? Brought in a couple has-beens and never-will-be's. Sure he's drafted ok, but he cannot count on drafting like that every year. A true winning team is built with a good combination of draftees and FA's as well as mixing in good trades. TT will not do this.Green Bay is $30 Million under the cap or thereabouts. Why is he not moving to make this team better? there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for not maxing out the cap to help your team get better. Randy McMichael would have been a GREAT start as they need a seasoned TE to get that group solidified. Why was TT not in there fighting for him? No he'll draft a TE this year, a year that is VERY weak on TE's. Yea, that'll really help us out in what could be Favres last year.I'm very angry and frustrated with TT's inability to see the need to make this team better NOW. Who knows what will happen in the future? They have a great base right now, with some key FA acquisitions they could make a SERIOUS run this year in a very weak NFC. Without any quality FA's this team will remain stagnant, and not improve much at all.Flame away:yawn: :potkettle:
If you did not see the improvement in the team last year you did not watch the games. I disagree with everything you said. I really think you don't understand the business side of the game as most of us don't.

I'm hearing rumors that Justin Griffith is all set to sign with Green Bay. Just finalizing some numbers and it could happen as soon as Monday.
That'd be an excellent add to the Packers, team, IMOLiving in Cheesehead land I come across plenty of fans who are mad that Ted Thompson didn't make a play for any of the name FA. Their main gripe is that this might be Favre's last year and after he leaves they won't have a good-enough quarterback. But I honestly feel that it's better for a team to build for the future instead of going for a long-shot and potentially crippling themselves.

The only player I thought they should have gone for was Travis Henry. Tony Gonzalez would have been good but I guess that was just a rumor.

I have another theory on why TT isn't spending the money.

IF the Raiders are done with Moss, they wont trade him or cut him until after Jun 1st. His salary cap hit is too much for them to absorb this year. IF the Packers are interested in Moss, they need to keep ~10 Million available for Moss's contract.

10 Million for Moss in June + 5 million for draft picks only leaves them about 6 Million left for free agents. Adding to that, Nick Barnet is a FA next year, so a long term deal with him will take the remainder of the 6 Million.

Well, Randy McMichael was basically cut for David Martin. Shows you how good he really is and what his value is. Plus he's a criminal. Drew Bennett got a ton of cash for a player who is really a number 2 wideout. They tried to get Joe Horn, you can't hold a gun to his head. Travis Taylor is no better than Ruvell Martin. Dominic Rhodes is a possibility but he was soundly beaten out by a rookie last season so how good is he really?

I guess I agree with you. I meant Travis Henry, not Taylor. I still think Rhodes would be a decent pick-up, but you're right no one really knows.Ladell betts would be nice.

You almost have to think the Griffith rumors are true. He visited a few days ago, and I haven't heard of him visiting elsewhere in the meantime. Also the releasing of Henderson supports this as well.

I like the signing. I think it makes a lot of sense.

I guess I agree with you. I meant Travis Henry, not Taylor. I still think Rhodes would be a decent pick-up, but you're right no one really knows.Ladell betts would be nice.
Betts would be nice. Good two-way back. Travis Henry would have been nice too.

yesterday i read an interview with "team capologist" Andrew Brandt. he stated that the Packers have used up every penny of their cap space each year since he's been there. the reason they don't use it in MARCH... is because you need to have money available throughout the entire year.they could throw huge sums of money at crapshoot free agents.. go in to training camp with zero free cap money and then be ####ED when someone gets hurt. use your head.TIAeta: this is why i don't listen to local sports radio. "gah, hey Chris.. duh Pack has tirty mil under dah cap. why ain't we signin' guys. we coulda had Moss, Travis Henry, Randy McMichael, Jeff Garcia as our QB uh da fuchure and den we couda signed up Jamal Lewis as our runnin' back and traded for dat guy from Buffalo.. MaFahee er whadever.. dat's less than tirty mil dis year. Thompson don't know what he's doin. Da Pack should fire him and hire Ron Wolf again. we won da Super Bowl wit him. yah.":wall:a rudimentary understanding is helpful when following your football/sports team.
I didn't expect you would be in here with anything intelligent to say other than bashing.Thanks for your input:yawn:
could be because i'm tired of these horrible, poorly (if at all) thought out opinions which are basically a regurgitation of every "fan" that i hear on GB sports radio on a daily basis.the Packers ARE NOT GOING TO WIN THE SUPER BOWL THIS YEAR. they weren't going to win it in TT's first year and they weren't going to win it last year.it's really not that hard to understand that a team with no depth and an old roster is going to take a few years to turn around... it's fans like you who think the NFL is a re-draft fantasy football league that make the SP impossible.:lmao:you said "flame away". so i did and now you're whining. maybe you shouldn't post?

Green Bay is the youngest team in the NFL Furley. Just sayin'

Doesn't mean I disagree with your viewpoint.

Ok, he did have a great draft last year, and brought in ONE decent FA, one Ok FA, and a couple HORRIBLE FA's, but nothing to really help this team immediately.He says Ron Wolf was his mentor? I call bullcrap on that. Wolf brought in many free agents to help build a winner, also made many trades to help build a winner. What has TT done? Brought in a couple has-beens and never-will-be's. Sure he's drafted ok, but he cannot count on drafting like that every year. A true winning team is built with a good combination of draftees and FA's as well as mixing in good trades. TT will not do this.Green Bay is $30 Million under the cap or thereabouts. Why is he not moving to make this team better? there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for not maxing out the cap to help your team get better. Randy McMichael would have been a GREAT start as they need a seasoned TE to get that group solidified. Why was TT not in there fighting for him? No he'll draft a TE this year, a year that is VERY weak on TE's. Yea, that'll really help us out in what could be Favres last year.I'm very angry and frustrated with TT's inability to see the need to make this team better NOW. Who knows what will happen in the future? They have a great base right now, with some key FA acquisitions they could make a SERIOUS run this year in a very weak NFC. Without any quality FA's this team will remain stagnant, and not improve much at all.Flame away<_< :goodposting:
I don't think I've ever disagreed with another Packer fan as I much as I do with this post. It's only March 9th just relax and let other teams spend their money on mediocre free agents.

yesterday i read an interview with "team capologist" Andrew Brandt. he stated that the Packers have used up every penny of their cap space each year since he's been there. the reason they don't use it in MARCH... is because you need to have money available throughout the entire year.they could throw huge sums of money at crapshoot free agents.. go in to training camp with zero free cap money and then be ####ED when someone gets hurt. use your head.TIAeta: this is why i don't listen to local sports radio. "gah, hey Chris.. duh Pack has tirty mil under dah cap. why ain't we signin' guys. we coulda had Moss, Travis Henry, Randy McMichael, Jeff Garcia as our QB uh da fuchure and den we couda signed up Jamal Lewis as our runnin' back and traded for dat guy from Buffalo.. MaFahee er whadever.. dat's less than tirty mil dis year. Thompson don't know what he's doin. Da Pack should fire him and hire Ron Wolf again. we won da Super Bowl wit him. yah.":goodposting:a rudimentary understanding is helpful when following your football/sports team.
Furley speaks the truth about Packers sports radio and the "fans" that call in. Chris Havel is one of the worst Packer news people out there and that is being generous. Also, the fans in Green Bay might know how the game of football is played but they know very little about the inner workings of a football franchise.

Furley speaks the truth about Packers sports radio and the "fans" that call in. Chris Havel is one of the worst Packer news people out there and that is being generous. Also, the fans in Green Bay might know how the game of football is played but they know very little about the inner workings of a football franchise.
Fortunately for Packer fans everywhere, Chris Havel will no longer be writing about the Packers. Or anything else for that matter. He doesn't work for the Press Gazette anymore. Good riddance.

Green Bay is the youngest team in the NFL Furley. Just sayin' Doesn't mean I disagree with your viewpoint.
:goodposting: i don't think we've disagreed?unless you're talking about this: "it's really not that hard to understand that a team with no depth and an old roster is going to take a few years to turn around"and mis-interpreted it thinking that i meant THIS year's team was old????i was talking about when TT took over as GM. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread