What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2007 CLEVELAND INDIANS Thread*** (1 Viewer)

C.C. says he's "good to go" for Opening Day

Posted by Paul Hoynes March 30, 2007

Cleveland Plain Dealer Reporter

WINTER HAVEN, Fla. -- After throwing a bullpen session this morning, left-hander C.C. Sabathia said he's ready to pitch Monday's season opener against Chicago at U.S. Cellular Field. "I'm good to go," Sabathia said. "I told you'd I'd be able to pitch."

Sabathia threw 52 pitches in front of manager Eric Wedge, pitching coach Carl Willis and bullpen coach Luis Isaac at Chain of Lakes Park. Danny Williams, bullpen catcher, caught him.

"He looked fine," said Wedge. "He might be a little sore Saturday, but he's fine."

Sabathia was knocked out of his last start of the spring Wednesday after getting hit on the left forearm by a line drive off the bat of Toronto's Reed Johnson. He's iced the forearm for the last two days and will continue to ice it over the weekend.

"I threw all my pitches," said Sabathia. "It didn't affect anything."

Sabathia said his forearm is still a little puffy.

"Wednesday night, after the X-rays were negative and the swelling went down, I thought I'd be all right," said Sabathia.

Camp is breaking and Sabathia is glad to be leaving Winter Haven. He suffered from strep throat in the springs of 2002, 2003 and 2004. He strained his right oblique muscle in 2005 warming for his first spring start and didn't return to the rotation until mid-April. Last year he strained the same muscle pitching the season opener against Chicago just after leaving Winter Haven.

Sabathia will be on a 105 to 110 pitch limit Monday.
:confused:

The fate of the Indians reflects the talents of their GM Mark Shapiro.

Without a doubt, Shapiro is strong at evaluating talent. I have complete confidence that the majority of his trades will work out. We have plenty of exciting young stars and it will be fun to watch them grow.

Unfortunately, Shapiro is weak at the art of the deal. He does not know WHEN to be a buyer, a seller, or to stand pat. And that leads to the final product we get on the field. A young team filled with potential that for some strange reason never fulfills the promise.

I think Shapiro is best suited for the role of head of scouting, maybe even some sort of co-GM title - he is weak enough in the second category where he needs help. I wouldn't fire him because people with his eye for talent are way too rare. But if this front office is left as is, then one MUST accept that you are going to tease for perhaps 10 years before the tumblers fall into place and the magic season happens.

The fate of the Indians reflects the talents of their GM Mark Shapiro. Without a doubt, Shapiro is strong at evaluating talent. I have complete confidence that the majority of his trades will work out. We have plenty of exciting young stars and it will be fun to watch them grow. Unfortunately, Shapiro is weak at the art of the deal. He does not know WHEN to be a buyer, a seller, or to stand pat. And that leads to the final product we get on the field. A young team filled with potential that for some strange reason never fulfills the promise.I think Shapiro is best suited for the role of head of scouting, maybe even some sort of co-GM title - he is weak enough in the second category where he needs help. I wouldn't fire him because people with his eye for talent are way too rare. But if this front office is left as is, then one MUST accept that you are going to tease for perhaps 10 years before the tumblers fall into place and the magic season happens.
I guess that means you're against the five-year contract extension he got a couple weeks back.

The fate of the Indians reflects the talents of their GM Mark Shapiro. Without a doubt, Shapiro is strong at evaluating talent. I have complete confidence that the majority of his trades will work out. We have plenty of exciting young stars and it will be fun to watch them grow. Unfortunately, Shapiro is weak at the art of the deal. He does not know WHEN to be a buyer, a seller, or to stand pat. And that leads to the final product we get on the field. A young team filled with potential that for some strange reason never fulfills the promise.I think Shapiro is best suited for the role of head of scouting, maybe even some sort of co-GM title - he is weak enough in the second category where he needs help. I wouldn't fire him because people with his eye for talent are way too rare. But if this front office is left as is, then one MUST accept that you are going to tease for perhaps 10 years before the tumblers fall into place and the magic season happens.
I guess that means you're against the five-year contract extension he got a couple weeks back.
I said I would not fire him. You could go 50 years and not find someone with an eye for talent as strong as Shapiro's. I said he needs help in other areas. But it can be acceptable to just have patience and I think eventually he WILL build you a super team that really doesn't need any trades to get better. But you'll need patience.If I asked Shapiro to be a seller, I believe he'd do a fabulous job. If I asked him to be a buyer, he'd do a fabulous job. I don't think he can make the call on his own though.

Last edited by a moderator:
On paper, offense should be better

Tribe lineup appears to be upgrade from '06, a solid year, but slumps, injuries always are risks

Akron Beacon Journal (Ohio)

March 24, 2007 Saturday

It's easy to take the Indians' prolific offense for granted.

Last year, the Tribe scored 870 runs, second most in the major leagues, trailing only the New York Yankees (930). Even so, General Manager Mark Shapiro made three offseason moves to improve the attack, acquiring second baseman Josh Barfield and outfielders David Dellucci and Trot Nixon.

Baseball, however, has a way of ruining the best-laid plans. Barring injury, there is no logical reason to think that Tribe batsmen will stumble. On the other hand, logic can give way to irrationality in baseball.

Unexplained slumps can derail a normally productive player, sometimes for months. A family problem can distract a hitter to the point it affects his concentration. Contract issues, placement in the lineup, even changing the location of a player's locker in the clubhouse can affect his attitude and desire.

In other words, it's impossible to anticipate everything that might go wrong or go right.

``You have to assume that certain things will happen that you can't predict,'' Indians manager Eric Wedge said Friday. ``You can't assume that everything from an offensive standpoint will be the same from one year to the next.

``I would like to think we'll score like we did last year, but it's really not fair to expect that.''

On paper, at least, the Indians' attack should be a notch better. Gone is third baseman Aaron Boone, who struggled for two years in Cleveland. In his place is unproven novice Andy Marte.

Dellucci and Jason Michaels in left should be an upgrade over Michaels alone. Same with Nixon joining Casey Blake in right.

Marte is question mark

Nobody knows what Marte is likely to do at the plate, but can he be less productive than Boone, who batted .251 with seven homers and 46 RBI in 354 at-bats?

Actually, Wedge isn't taking for granted that Marte will improve the offense at third. Marte has a hole in his swing -- he chases outside breaking balls -- that is being addressed in training camp. What's more, Marte has precious little experience.

``I've been pleased with Andy's progress,'' Wedge said. ``We don't want him to get too caught up in results. He's been very conscientious about using the whole field and trying not to do too much.''

Wedge doesn't want to put too much of a burden on a player who has appeared in only 74 big-league games, 50 of those last season after he was called up from Triple-A Buffalo.

``It's hard to put a number on how much he should play,'' Wedge said, ``but I want to make sure he gets time off, this being his first full year in the big leagues.''

Team's big 2006 stats

Tribe hitters were among the leaders in many American League categories in 2006: second in doubles (351), fourth in batting average (.280), fourth in walks (556) and second in on-base percentage (.349).

With 196 home runs, the Indians ranked fifth in the league. But they also were first in strikeouts (1,204) and 12th in steals (55).

Wedge isn't overly concerned about the strikeouts, but he thinks he has a little more speed to work with in Barfield, who stole 21 bases with the San Diego Padres last year. Coupled with Grady Sizemore's ability to run (22 steals) and Dellucci's National League experience, the offense might be more varied.

Speaking of Sizemore and Barfield, Wedge said: ``They will bunt for a hit. You might see that become more a part of Grady's game. I think we can do more things this year.''

That does not mean the Indians suddenly will turn into a prototypical play-for-one-run National League team. After all, even though an injury limited Travis Hafner to 129 games, he hit 42 home runs, Sizemore hit 28 and led the league in doubles (53), and the combination of Victor Martinez and Blake amassed 34 homers.

This is a team that gets on base and produces extra-base hits. Two regulars, Hafner and Martinez, hit better than .300 in 2006. Two others, Blake and Sizemore, batted above .280.

Prepared for bad luck

Nevertheless, bad things can happen. Extended slumps and injuries are not predictable, but Wedge thinks he is prepared to handle most misfortunes, thanks to a versatile roster of hitters.

Blake will play most of the time at first, but he also will platoon in right and can play third. Most of the outfielders can play either corner, and Michaels can play center.

Regarding Marte, Wedge said: ``When you have a young player without much of a track record, you have to make sure you have alternatives. You have to have protection, whether it's short or long term.''

That does not mean Wedge is waiting for something bad to happen. ``I'm a positive person,'' he said. ``I don't go into the season expecting the worst.''

Season nears, questions remain

Cleveland Plain Dealer

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Paul Hoynes

Winter Haven, Fla. - The last week of spring training can bring upheaval and broken hearts. The next year it can go drawing as little notice as a freight train on a midnight run through town.

The Indians' last seven exhibition games before the season opener April 2 against the White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field should roll by without much drama. Most of the big questions, and there weren't many to begin with, have been settled.

Still, there are things that need attention.

Contracts.

The Indians and No. 2 starter Jake Westbrook are making progress on a multiyear deal.

"We're still talking," said Westbrook, a free agent at the end of the season.

Does that mean progress has been made?

"We're working on it," said Westbrook.

In the tight-lipped world of Indians spring-training negotiations, that is a mouthful.

Travis Hafner and C.C. Sabathia can be free agents after the 2008 season.

"We'll either get something done by the end of spring training or not," said Hafner. "We're still two years away."

Sabathia, represented by the same agents as Hafner, said recently there were no negotiations where he was concerned.

Indians General Manager Mark Shapiro said he will negotiate into the season if he feels a deal can be reached quickly.

Utility infielder.

With the demotion of Hector Luna on Saturday, the Indians are down to two candidates for the utility infielder's job - Mike Rouse and Luis Rivas.

After the Indians beat Atlanta, 4-3, in an exhibition game Saturday, manager Eric Wedge said he'd probably carry only one of them. That gives Rouse, out of options, the edge.

If Rouse is picked, it will be because he showed the ability to play shortstop. Rouse is hitting .333 (11-for-33) with two homers and seven RBI.

Ryan Garko.

Garko's chances of making the Indians as the 25th player are improving.

"We could make a decision on the 25th roster spot by midweek - perhaps sooner," said Shapiro.

Garko hit a two-run homer Saturday, but dropped a pop-up at first base Friday. With the threat of getting knocked off the team if the Indians carried two extra utility infielders apparently over, Garko is competing with outfielders Ben Francisco and Franklin Gutierrez.

Francisco and Gutierrez offer flexibility and speed because they can play all three outfield positions and steal a base. The Indians think Francisco, because of his short swing, could hit coming off the bench.

The Indians are already carrying five outfielders, including Casey Blake. Would they really add a sixth? Gutierrez, meanwhile, has been bothered by sore legs and hasn't played recently. He's hitting .346 (9-for-26) with four RBI.

Garko is hitting .296 (16-for-54) with two homers and 10 RBI. Francisco is hitting .316 (12-for-38) with three homers and five RBI, but has cooled of late.

The bullpen.

The big question was settled the day Keith Foulke retired. He saved the Tribe $5 million and made Joe Borowski the closer.

The Indians still haven't decided on a setup man - their choices are Roberto Hernandez or Rafael Betancourt - but they'll both make the club along with left-hander Aaron Fultz, Fernando Cabrera, Matt Miller and Jason Davis.

Miller and Davis have had health problems. Miller pulled out of Saturday's game because of a cramp in his right forearm. He missed most of last season following surgery on his right elbow.

"We don't think it's serious," said Wedge.

Davis appears to be over a sore right shoulder that caused him not to throw in a game for 12 days.

Shortstop Jhonny Peralta.

Challenged by the organization over the winter to improve his game, Peralta has responded with a solid camp. He's moving well to his left and right and has worked well with second baseman Josh Barfield.

Starting rotation.

The Indians suffered their only big injury at their deepest position when Cliff Lee strained an abdominal muscle. Fausto Carmona will be the No. 5 man behind C.C. Sabathia, Westbrook, Jeremy Sowers and Paul Byrd.

Center fielder Grady Sizemore.

Sizemore, after two strong seasons, enters the last week of camp hitting .116 (5-for-43). The man who led the American League with 53 doubles last year, hasn't hit one this spring.

The Indians are not concerned.

"What did he hit last spring training?" hitting coach Derek Shelton asked a reporter.

"I don't know," said the reporter.

"That's because it was spring training," said Shelton.

wadegarrett said:
ditka...mike ditka said:
Any of you guys coming to Chicago for the opener?? Ill be there monday, if any of you cleveland fans are going come meet up for a :no: on me!
Would be nice but won't happen this year. Thanks though. :thumbup: :banned:
no problem. Its the least i could do. Considering the can of whoop #zz we will open up on you guys all year long :lmao:

OPENING DAY! :eek:

Where: U.S. Cellular Field. When: Today, Wednesday, Thursday. TV/radio: SportsTime Ohio; WTAM AM/1100. Pitching matchups: LHP C.C. Sabathia (12-11, 3.22 in 2006) vs. RHP Jose Contreras (13-9, 4.27), 2:05 p.m. today; RHP Jake Westbrook (15-10, 4.17) vs. RHP Jon Garland (18-7, 4.51), 2:05 p.m. Wednesday; and LHP Jeremy Sowers (7-4, 3.57) vs. LHP Mark Buehrle (12-13, 4.99), 2:05 p.m. Thursday. Season series: Indians went 11-8 against Chicago last year. Chicago leads, 981-951, overall. Indians update: They went 16-14-1 in spring training. They were 35-40 in the AL Central in 2006. Sabathia went 4-0 in five starts against Chicago last year. He’s 12-3 lifetime against the White Sox in 20 starts. Sabathia went 1-1 with a 3.86 ERA in spring training. White Sox update: They went 10-22 in spring training after going 40-36 in the AL Central last year. Contreras was 9-0 at the All-Star break last year before going 4-9 in the second half. Contreras had a 4-0 record in April. He’s 2-0 in seven starts against the Tribe. Contreras was 0-2 with a 5.09 ERA in spring training. Injuries: Indians — Pitcher Cliff Lee (abdominal muscle), infielder Joe Inglett (left quadriceps), pitcher Matt Miller (right forearm) and outfielder Franklin Gutierrez (left hamstring) are on disabled list. White Sox — Catcher Toby Hall (right shoulder) is on DL. Next: The Indians open a four-game series against Seattle at Jacobs Field on Friday.

Christ... it wasn't Contreras' best day by far, but this team can hit. Yikes. It appears that Sizemore may be the real deal. If that guy can get on base for Hafner, watch out. It will be interesting to see how their pitching holds up, but only 1 HR and 12 runs. Wow.

:thumbup:

Christ... it wasn't Contreras' best day by far, but this team can hit. Yikes. It appears that Sizemore may be the real deal. If that guy can get on base for Hafner, watch out. It will be interesting to see how their pitching holds up, but only 1 HR and 12 runs. Wow. :lmao:
Pitching will determine how far this team goes. Again. Always seems that way. Offense won't be a problem. Think it may be similar to how the year goes for the Sox. They'll score a ton of runs also. Need their pitching to be more like '05 than it was in '06. I expect them both to be in it with the Tigers come late September.

I like this team. If the Twins don't win the central this year I hope Cleveland does. I think the key will be Borowski.

Westbrook gives up a 3-run homer to Thome in the 1st.

Indians come back and hit for the cycle in the top of the 2nd.

4-3 now.

These two teams can mash.

Both teams getting squeezed by this umpire. Westbrook is pumping knee-high fastballs that are being called balls. :hot:

Borowski hasn't exactly looked great in his first two appearances this season. Does anyone have a clue who the most likely candidate would be to step in for Borowski if he continues to struggle? Hernandez? Cabrera? Betancourt? I know Cleveland fans won't want to see too many more blown saves after last year.

Borowski hasn't exactly looked great in his first two appearances this season. Does anyone have a clue who the most likely candidate would be to step in for Borowski if he continues to struggle? Hernandez? Cabrera? Betancourt? I know Cleveland fans won't want to see too many more blown saves after last year.
I'll settle for today's performance against the likes of Thome, Konerko, Dye and Crede :thumbdown:

You wouldn't be settling for it if Crede had hit that last pitch out. It seems the bar for satisfaction with closers has been set pretty low in Cleveland. I'm not saying Borowski should be benched or anything. I'm just asking if hypothetically he doesn't perform as a closer should, who would be the most likely to take his spot? I know it seems unsettled now, but I was wondering if anyone had any feelings about it. My guess is probably that everyone from Cleveland is still clinging to their hopes that Borowski is their 5 million solution to last year's losing season. I'm not so convinced just yet.

You wouldn't be settling for it if Crede had hit that last pitch out.
If my aunt could throw she'd be Jake Westbrook.I just saw the replay of that. Looked like a routine fly ball that gone blown back by the wind, like they said a lot of fly balls were doing. I was pretty encouraged by JoBo's ability to get out of that inning and get the save, after walking the first batter, which was his only mistake (and I was sure the save was blown with the murderer's row he was about to face). Good work by him.PS you've got nobody to take that job. Betancourt maybe? lol. They are fully invested in Mr. Borowski for better or worse.

Just bought 6 tickets August 11th Yankees @ Indians. Upper-Deck they were cheap. I have been to day games before but never night (about a 2hr 30 min- 3hr drive) Are night games better. Yankee turnouts good?

Vicktimized said:
So....given the recent tribe history, what are the chances we get Hafner or Sabathia locked up to extensions?
I'd say the chances of signing Hafner are better than signing Sabathia. Think they are still talking to Hafner (and Westbrook) now. Sabathia can wait as he'll be here thru '08.

The Indians the past two seasons have fielded teams that were stronger than their records indicated, but in both years they had horrible records in one-run ballgames. 2006 was especially bad, as thy projected out to a far, far, better record. In 2005, we lost a lot of games by one run to the White Sox, so its fun to turn the tables a little bit and rally to beat the White Sox by one run in the season opener on the road.

The Indians the past two seasons have fielded teams that were stronger than their records indicated, but in both years they had horrible records in one-run ballgames. 2006 was especially bad, as thy projected out to a far, far, better record. In 2005, we lost a lot of games by one run to the White Sox, so its fun to turn the tables a little bit and rally to beat the White Sox by one run in the season opener on the road.
:whoosh: I guess Monday's game didn't count.

Season opener was Monday. Tribe won by 7.

Season opener was Monday. Tribe won by 7.
I meant season opener as in the series, not the game. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread