What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (4 Viewers)

oh man, season 2 is so great.  Episode 5 is in the running for best of the entire series.  Not a wasted moment.

Furio comes over from Italy

Beats the #### out of Dominic

Chris is in the acting class and punches Alan

Melfi rants at Kupferburg and storms out, then decides to take Tony back

Tony and Hesh scenes when Tony needs a therapist.  Hesh tells Tony about his father's panic attacks.

Janice and Richie get together, with the piece de resistance, the greatest scene ever, where Tony goes over to yell at Janice about taking a loan on their mother's house and Richie opens the door in his underwear, completely flabbergasting Tony.

oh man, season 2 is so great.  Episode 5 is in the running for best of the entire series.  Not a wasted moment.

Furio comes over from Italy

Beats the #### out of Dominic

Chris is in the acting class and punches Alan

Melfi rants at Kupferburg and storms out, then decides to take Tony back

Tony and Hesh scenes when Tony needs a therapist.  Hesh tells Tony about his father's panic attacks.

Janice and Richie get together, with the piece de resistance, the greatest scene ever, where Tony goes over to yell at Janice about taking a loan on their mother's house and Richie opens the door in his underwear, completely flabbergasting Tony.
There were men better looking in the can than Janice. 

the scene shortly after where Richie tries to make nice to Tony by making him some breakfast and Tony can't help but be a #### and Richie steps to him with the fork dripping in scrambled eggs was so good!

Great show but I still wonder what it could have/would have been if the actress playing Tony's mom hadn't passed. She was the best. 
of course.  supposedly chase would have had her and tony reconcile, thought not totally sure who that could have happened if she really had borderline personality disorder.

i think it kind of turned out the way that it should have.  tony was a sociopath and could not be redeemed.  que sera sera

of course.  supposedly chase would have had her and tony reconcile, thought not totally sure who that could have happened if she really had borderline personality disorder.

i think it kind of turned out the way that it should have.  tony was a sociopath and could not be redeemed.  que sera sera
Turned out great. Just will always wonder how the original outline would have played out.  I haven't seen a show close to being that good in awhile.  

In re-watching clips from some of the earlier seasons, I have come to appreciate Brendan Filone a little bit more. He was profoundly stupid, hilariously so. But unlike Christaphuh, Jackie Jr., and the two knuckleheads who tried to whack Chrissy, Brendan seemed to know he was a moron and just went with it.

The laugh over his witticism about Jackie Sr. and "chemo-sabe" and Tony's response: https://youtu.be/jaEMZ_jeR4s?t=46 

Seeing this thread bumped reminded me, I picked up the Sopranos in the middle of season 2. I'd just moved to LA and friends I hung out with used to have viewing parties so that was my introduction. It was pretty easy to get up to speed on the characters, but, in the 1999/2000 era and not having HBO myself, going back to watch from the beginning just wasn't a thing.

I also haven't watched any episodes since they originally aired. I'd always meant to give it a go, just never got around to it.

So, I'm going back to the start, this weekend, with season 1, episode 1, and will go from there.
How's it going so far? 

Walking Boot said:
Just started season 2. Season 1 was a little slow in places but I'm enjoying it. 
i've been re-watching over the past few months.  Just started season 6 again.

i've watched the whole series multiple times, but seeing things fairly differently this time. 

I also find the Tony B storyline kind of odd.  It feels like it was a bit of a waste and his character wasn't that fully developed.  really just a vehicle to tell us about tony's guilt and the way he operates.  

I've been rewatching a decent amount over the last couple weeks. Caught an amazing line early in season 3 that I never noticed before. When Johnny Sack bought the house in Jersey and had everyone over, the guys are outside admiring the property and when Johnny leaves, the conversion goes:

Paulie (I think): how much you think he paid for this place? 

Sylvio: The landscaping alone has to be 100-150 grand!

Gigi: And property taxes...you gotta pay those!

I am low-key wondering if something I was tangentially involved in back in the late 90s in NYC will be specifically mentioned or alluded to as an inspiration for a plotline that emerged in the show a couple of years after. I've always wondered if the writers were aware.
poppers and weird sex?

Walking Boot said:
But then, that mashup starts with "Every Breath You Take", and it was stunning. I remember when that swept through the room. I don't know if this is the first mainstream mashup, but, it ####### rocked the party. Just "Whoa, this is amazing," then awe and appreciation. Just brilliant. 
Yeah I remember watching that the first time and being very amused. Without having done any research, is that one of pop culture's first mashups?

Before Jackie Jr and his buddies hit the card game, they were watching That Scene from Basic Instinct. Do you think Chase and HBO reached out to Sharon Stone for permission to show that?

I imagine they may have had the rights to show it but when you're about to show off a beaver in an unrelated but extremely popular piece of entertainment, you'd think they'd offer that professional courtesy.

Before Jackie Jr and his buddies hit the card game, they were watching That Scene from Basic Instinct. Do you think Chase and HBO reached out to Sharon Stone for permission to show that?

I imagine they may have had the rights to show it but when you're about to show off a beaver in an unrelated but extremely popular piece of entertainment, you'd think they'd offer that professional courtesy.
I would think you'd need permission from the producer or director or whomever has the rights to such things. I doubt the actor in what particular scene is shown has much say-so, unless they get it written into their contract, which seems unlikely. Someone with more knowledge of things can correct me if I am wrong. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had to do it. It's extremely complicated. 

Most of the time, even if the actor doesn't have the right of refusal, you still have to make their day rate and maybe a residual payment too. It ain't cheap. 
Gotcha.

I always find it odd when TV shows or films give away critical moments or ending of other movies.  I never saw Casablanca till like a year ago, but I pretty much already knew how it ended thanks to When Harry Met Sally, where the two talk about it early in the film and then they basically show the final shot of the film (being watched by both in their respective beds) later in the film while they are talking on the phone. 

Plus he killed Tracee. I met that actress once, she was a coffee girl working our base camp one day. She was smokin' in person :wub:  

She kept talking about how she was going to be in an upcoming episode, and made quite the impression on a young Boot. Everyone was falling over her. Then we see her episode and it's :stalker: everywhere. Kept trying to get her to come back once we'd all seen the goods :lmao:
She still looks pretty good for almost 40.

https://www.instagram.com/arielkiley/?hl=en

Plus he killed Tracee. I met that actress once, she was a coffee girl working our base camp one day. She was smokin' in person :wub:  

She kept talking about how she was going to be in an upcoming episode, and made quite the impression on a young Boot. Everyone was falling over her. Then we see her episode and it's :stalker: everywhere. Kept trying to get her to come back once we'd all seen the goods :lmao:
Never forget:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rJmoNlBjEE

i learned recently that that actress is in a similar business to my wife (related to physical therapy) and that there is certainly a non-zero chance that I could meet her if I tried.

I also read a thing where she said that the original ending was to have Tony not care that she was killed and that she loved it and the comment that it made on that whole world, but Gandolfini and/or producers thought that Tony needed to be more humanized for his character.

Ironic, as most the TV you'll see them watching is public domain stuff from the 50s. 

Now that HBO Now has all 86 episodes uploaded, has anybody been doing a rewatch? This is my first rewatch since the original absolutely loving it, amazing how well it holds up.

You pick up so many more layers and references you might have missed the first time. The song choices are brilliant. The juxtaposition of the stress of work to the stress at home. From dark, violent scenes to the Sopranos McMansion, contrasting the criminal activity that affords the high lifestyle. Also, it’s gets even funnier with the rewatch.

What...now there’s no ####### ziti?

Didn’t he almost drown in three inches of water

Anyway, four dollars a pound

Whatever happened there 

The heir apparent 

Interior Decorator...is house looked like ####

Stupida ####### game

All we did was study hard

What was it barkin’

My kitchens  all wiped off for the night

Mother ####in’ GD ORANGE PEEL BEEF

Jason...men are talking here

It’s like Sun Tazoo says

I’m up to Season 5, Episode 6 

Sentimental Education

ALSO

Great new podcast started later month with Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa. They’re only up to S1E5 College but it’s so freaking good I might turn around and start my next rewatch when I finish up.

Talking Sopranos

Now that HBO Now has all 86 episodes uploaded, has anybody been doing a rewatch? This is my first rewatch since the original absolutely loving it, amazing how well it holds up.

You pick up so many more layers and references you might have missed the first time. The song choices are brilliant. The juxtaposition of the stress of work to the stress at home. From dark, violent scenes to the Sopranos McMansion, contrasting the criminal activity that affords the high lifestyle. Also, it’s gets even funnier with the rewatch.

What...now there’s no ####### ziti?

Didn’t he almost drown in three inches of water

Anyway, four dollars a pound

Whatever happened there 

The heir apparent 

Interior Decorator...is house looked like ####

Stupida ####### game

All we did was study hard

What was it barkin’

My kitchens  all wiped off for the night

Mother ####in’ GD ORANGE PEEL BEEF

Jason...men are talking here

It’s like Sun Tazoo says
I have all of the seasons on DVD and have probably plowed through them all 5-6 times now over the years, but I will sometimes throw on from HBO GO just for the hell of it.  The show really was comedy gold.

I still love Season 5 when Tony told Chrissy to clam up about Little Carmine in front of Johnny Sack, and of course at dinner Chrissy starts starting about it.  Tony tries to distract him by asking for a piece of bread, and Vito grabs the bread basket and tries to hand it to him. The look Tony gives him is priceless, like, "I didn't actually want a piece of bread, you ####### imbecile." :lol:

Amazing that thirteen years later, it’s more popular than ever. Whole new generations are discovering it for the first time.

Quasi Modo predicted all this 

I still love Season 5 when Tony told Chrissy to clam up about Little Carmine in front of Johnny Sack, and of course at dinner Chrissy starts starting about it.  Tony tries to distract him by asking for a piece of bread, and Vito grabs the bread basket and tries to hand it to him. The look Tony gives him is priceless, like, "I didn't actually want a piece of bread, you ####### imbecile." :lol:
ride home:

NOW I GOTTA UN- #### WHAT YOU JUST DID!

Wife and I just watched it through for the first time.  Funnier than I expected it to be.
That podcast is great, lots of backstory on casting, getting started, how they knew this was a once in a lifetime gig, you don’t get a lot of jobs where you love it and love the people you work with.

Imperiloli wasn’t that well known but he’d been in a couple things, he had chops plus writing experience. When he read for Christopher Moltisanti they didn’t bring anyone else in, he was just what they wanted.

(three actors, all of whom ended up in the show, read for the Tony Soprano part)

First day of work, he’s really pumped about the pilot - they weren’t picked up for a full season yet - and one of his first scenes he’s functioning as Tony’s driver. Imperioli grew up in New York, he was 31 but he didn’t have a license (not that uncommon here.) But he had driven a little so he figured he could wing it.

He crashed an SUV. Hard, air bags went off. He’s thinking oh ####, I worked so hard to get this and they’re gonna fire me first day. He didn’t even know Gandolfini, was waiting for him to explode.

Jim looks around, gets this WTF look on his face, and just starts laughing hysterically.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread