What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (4 Viewers)

His book looks interesting  http://www.akashicbooks.com/catalog/the-perfume-burned-his-eyes/

Matthew is a sixteen-year-old living in Jackson Heights, Queens, in 1976. After he loses his two most important male role models, his father and grandfather, his mother uses her inheritance to uproot Matthew and herself to a posh apartment building in Manhattan. Although only three miles away from his boyhood home, “the city” is a completely new and strange world to Matthew.

Matthew soon befriends (and becomes a factotum of sorts to) Lou Reed, who lives with his transgender girlfriend Rachel in the same building. The artistic-shamanic rocker eventually becomes an unorthodox father figure to Matthew, who finds himself head over heels for the mysterious Veronica, a wise-beyond-her-years girl he meets at his new school.

Written from the point of view of Matthew at age eighteen, two years after the story begins, the novel concludes with an epilogue in the year 2013, three days after Lou Reed’s death, with Matthew in his fifties.

Funny, it's been on HBO a lot and I basically managed to watch most of the last two seasons (I think) including the final episode last night.

I still am not sure how I feel about it.  I go back and forth.

Funny, it's been on HBO a lot and I basically managed to watch most of the last two seasons (I think) including the final episode last night.

I still am not sure how I feel about it.  I go back and forth.
It doesnt hold up as good as I remember.  Some horrible storylines late in the series. 

This doesn't reflect well on me but when Paulie kills that #### friend of his mom's ...I was happy and wanted him to off the other one as well.   :shrug:

My grandmother said the worst people on earth are the ones on Sunday judging everyone else.  

The many Saints of Newark

It's been 20 years since The Sopranos first introduced the world to Tony Soprano (James Gandolfini) and the various characters of his New Jersey crime syndicate, but the show's popularity hasn't wavered a bit since that divisive fade-to-black ending that may or may not have signaled the mafioso's demise.

While fans will have to continue relying on frame-by-frame breakdowns of the final scene and slips of the tongue by creator David Chase to know what really happened to our duck-loving mob boss, Chase will soon take fans back in time to showcase some of the moments we didn't get to see from the Family's history by way of a prequel film titled The Many Saints of Newark.

Here's a rundown of everything we know about this bonus story from the world of The Sopranos so far.

It'll involve a character you know. Sort of. The Many Saints of Newark will journey back to the 1960s, at a time when racial tensions were high in New Jersey, especially between Italian-Americans and African-Americans. Alessandro Nivola will star as Dickie Moltisanti, the man who mentored Tony Soprano and was also Christopher's (Michael Imperioli) father. Fans will recall that in The Sopranos, Tony and Chrissy acted on a vendetta against Moltisanti's supposed killer: a detective who had since retired. Moltisanti was the cousin of Carmela Soprano (Edie Falco), which is why Tony often referred to Chrissy as his nephew.

The rest of the cast is stacked. Details about the additional characters in The Many Saints of Newark are still slim, but fans can expect to see some familiar faces, including Jon Bernthal, Vera Farmiga, Corey Stoll and Billy Magnussen.

Chase co-wrote the script. Although this era of reboots and revivals and recycling projects galore often means taking properties out of the hands of their creators, this film won't make that mistake. David Chase himself has co-written the script for The Many Saints of Newark with Lawrence Konner, who previously wrote three episodes of the original series. Meanwhile, the film will be directed by Alan Taylor, who helmed several episodes of the show and even won an Emmy for his work behind the lens of Season 6's "Kennedy And Heidi," which, perhaps not coincidentally, was a pivotal piece of Christopher's story.

The film will hit theaters. Fans can still stream all six seasons of The Sopranos on HBO, but they'll have to buy a ticket to check out The Many Saints of Newark, as the project is being developed by New Line Cinema for a theatrical debut. No word yet on when the movie will make its box office debut.

Meanwhile, the film will be directed by Alan Taylor, who helmed several episodes of the show and even won an Emmy for his work behind the lens of Season 6's "Kennedy And Heidi," which, perhaps not coincidentally, was a pivotal piece of Christopher's story.
I wonder why Salami didn't get the call. He is the guy I think of first when it comes to directed episodes. Gandolfini liked him because he paced the filming more like a movie director than a television director. TV directors are used to operating on serious time constraints, so they just crank the scene out and move onto the next one. Van Patten had a more of go with the flow type of style, which Gandolfini connected to.  

It doesnt hold up as good as I remember.  Some horrible storylines late in the series. 
I rewatched most of it last year.  The first three seasons are still outstanding and could go back on the air today.  There is a big, noticeable drop-off in quality after that.  (In fairness, I didn't finish rewatching the whole series -- I petered out a little after S4).

Midway through the third season. I'm re-watching. Fiancee is watching for the first time. So far it's been awesome but I know this is the pinnacle. Really not looking forward to watching the Carm/Furio and Vito/Johnny Cakes stuff again.

wow some of you guys have very, very high standards for TV shows
Yeah, it's tough to compare a show that debuted 20 years ago to current offerings.  I think it holds up pretty well.  Definitely a drop off in the final few seasons but I still enjoyed them.  The comedic aspect of The Sopranos is what keeps me entertained.  Paulie drops some great zingers throughout the series.  

The Vito subplot was definitely a bit cringe but worth it for all of Phil's hatred : "I guess the turd didn't fall far from the f*ggot's a**" "What the hell's wrong with you? You look like a Puerto Rican whore."

It holds up extremely well.  Sure, Season 4 lagged at times and 6a and 6b were not as consistently great as the early seasons, but seasons 1, 2, 3 and 5 are still some of the best TV ever.  I still say it is the 2nd best television drama ever, behind only Breaking Bad. 

It's crazy to think about the number of these actors that have since passed.  I found this list on reddit but it's from October or so of 2017.  I know several others have died since then - will try to look them up - I think Phil and Syndey Pollack (can't remember character name).  

the highest profile death was, of course, the show's star, James Gandolfini. he died on June 19, 2013 due to a heart attack while vacationing in Italy. He was 51.

Denise Borino-Quinn, who played Ginny Sacrimoni, died on October 27th, 2010 due to liver cancer. She was 46.

Frank Pellegrino played FBI director Frank Cubitoso in several recurring episodes, died earlier this year on January 31st. He was 72

Robert Loggia appeared in a couple of Sopranos episodes as the fabled Feech La Manna. He died December 4th, 2015 at the age of 85 due to complications of Alzheimer's

John Costelloe played Jim Witowski, better known as 'Johnny Cakes', the firefighter who becomes Vito's love interest while he is in hiding. He died on December 16, 2008 due to a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was 47

Most recently, actor John Heard, who played crooked detective Vin Makazian, died exactly one month ago on July 21st, 2017. Cause of death was a heart attack. He was 71

Nancy Marchand, who played Tony Soprano's beloved mother Livia Soprano, died on June 18th, 2000, one day before her birthday. She was 71. The cause of death were complications of lung cancer and emphysema. Thanks to /u/GallopGhost for the mention.

Tom Aldredge played Hugh De Angelis, father of Carmella Soprano. He died July 22nd, 2011 at the age of 83, due to complications arising from lymphoma. Thanks to /u/BrutoN82 for the mention.

David Margulies, who played Neil Mink; Tony Soprano's lawyer, died on January 11th, 2016. He was 78. Thanks to /u/BrutoN82 for the mention

Tony Lip, playing the show's premier boss of New York, Carmine Lupertazzi Sr., died on January 4th, 2013 at the age of 73. Thanks to /u/BrutoN82 for the mention.

Joe Santos played Angelo Garepe, New York captain who returned from jail in season 5 and became embroiled in the Johnny Sack-Carmine Jr. feud. Santos died on March 18th, 2014, suffering a heart attack four days prior. He was 84. Thanks to /u/BrutoN82 for the mention.

John Ciarcia played Albie Cianflone, the consigliere of Phil Leotardo at show's end. He died at the age of 69 on November 25th, 2015. Thanks to /u/BrutoN82 for the mention.

Ed Vassallo played Tom, Barb's husband. He died February 24th, 2014 at the age of 41. Thanks to /u/BrutoN82 for the mention.

Deaths not shown above that I found:

Frank Vincent that played Phil Leotardo died in September 2017 of heart problems.

Dr. Warren Freeman that was played by Sydney Pollack died from cancer back in 2008. 

Tony's dad's mistress, played by Polly Bergen, died in 2014 of natural causes at age 84.  

Frank Sinatra Jr. died of a heart attack in 2016.

The nun that was Paulie's "secret mom" played by Judith Malina, died in 2015.

I'm probably missing some more of the older actors ...but hope they are all still around.  

It's crazy to think about the number of these actors that have since passed.  I found this list on reddit but it's from October or so of 2017.  I know several others have died since then - will try to look them up - I think Phil and Syndey Pollack (can't remember character name).  

the highest profile death was, of course, the show's star, James Gandolfini. he died on June 19, 2013 due to a heart attack while vacationing in Italy. He was 51.

Denise Borino-Quinn, who played Ginny Sacrimoni, died on October 27th, 2010 due to liver cancer. She was 46.

Frank Pellegrino played FBI director Frank Cubitoso in several recurring episodes, died earlier this year on January 31st. He was 72

Robert Loggia appeared in a couple of Sopranos episodes as the fabled Feech La Manna. He died December 4th, 2015 at the age of 85 due to complications of Alzheimer's

John Costelloe played Jim Witowski, better known as 'Johnny Cakes', the firefighter who becomes Vito's love interest while he is in hiding. He died on December 16, 2008 due to a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was 47

Most recently, actor John Heard, who played crooked detective Vin Makazian, died exactly one month ago on July 21st, 2017. Cause of death was a heart attack. He was 71

Nancy Marchand, who played Tony Soprano's beloved mother Livia Soprano, died on June 18th, 2000, one day before her birthday. She was 71. The cause of death were complications of lung cancer and emphysema. Thanks to /u/GallopGhost for the mention.

Tom Aldredge played Hugh De Angelis, father of Carmella Soprano. He died July 22nd, 2011 at the age of 83, due to complications arising from lymphoma. Thanks to /u/BrutoN82 for the mention.

David Margulies, who played Neil Mink; Tony Soprano's lawyer, died on January 11th, 2016. He was 78. Thanks to /u/BrutoN82 for the mention

Tony Lip, playing the show's premier boss of New York, Carmine Lupertazzi Sr., died on January 4th, 2013 at the age of 73. Thanks to /u/BrutoN82 for the mention.

Joe Santos played Angelo Garepe, New York captain who returned from jail in season 5 and became embroiled in the Johnny Sack-Carmine Jr. feud. Santos died on March 18th, 2014, suffering a heart attack four days prior. He was 84. Thanks to /u/BrutoN82 for the mention.

John Ciarcia played Albie Cianflone, the consigliere of Phil Leotardo at show's end. He died at the age of 69 on November 25th, 2015. Thanks to /u/BrutoN82 for the mention.

Ed Vassallo played Tom, Barb's husband. He died February 24th, 2014 at the age of 41. Thanks to /u/BrutoN82 for the mention.

Deaths not shown above that I found:

Frank Vincent that played Phil Leotardo died in September 2017 of heart problems.

Dr. Warren Freeman that was played by Sydney Pollack died from cancer back in 2008. 

Tony's dad's mistress, played by Polly Bergen, died in 2014 of natural causes at age 84.  

Frank Sinatra Jr. died of a heart attack in 2016.

The nun that was Paulie's "secret mom" played by Judith Malina, died in 2015.

I'm probably missing some more of the older actors ...but hope they are all still around.  
So no sequel then? 

After Richie was killed:

Janice: What did you do with him.

Tony: We buried him. On a hill. Overlooking a little river. With pinecones all around.

Janice: You did?

Tony: C'mon Janice, what the ####!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Ralph: "Hi, this is Detective Mike Hunt, Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania police department. You have a son Peter Paul?"

Paulies Mom: "Oh, my God! What happened?"

Ralph: "He's alright, ma'am, but I'm afraid he's in a little trouble. We found him in a public men's room in Lafayette Park. I don't know how to put this delicately...he was sucking a cub scout's ****."

Paulies Mom: "What? No, it's a mistake."

Ralph: "Ma'am, I wish that was all, uh, but I'm afraid we had to have emergency surgery performed upon arrival at headquarters, after discovery of a small rodent in the rectal passage. Unfortunately our services don't cover the cost from criminal sexual activity."

Paulies Mom: "Oh Marone, I have Blue Cross Blue Shield"

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Janice: [while playing Monopoly] "Second prize in a beauty contest collect $10." Go ahead, make your stupid joke.

Tony: I got nothing to say. 

Bobby: Think I'll buy a railroad. 

Tony Soprano: A German shepherd's shaved ####### won first prize. 

Bobby: Oh! You're talkin' about my wife.

Tony: You married her. 

Bobby: It's my home. No more talkin' like that. 

Janice Soprano: It's OK, Bobby. 

Bobby: Stay outta this! You Sopranos. You go too far. 

Tony Soprano: Alright, you know, Jan, he's right. I'm sorry. I crossed the line. I apologize. Won't happen again. 

Tony Soprano: [begins singing] Under the Boardwalk. With a schlong in Jan's mouth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paulie: You're late!!

Ralph: Well I can be on time tomorrow, you'll be stupid forever!

Tony Soprano: Alright, you know, Jan, he's right. I'm sorry. I crossed the line. I apologize. Won't happen again. 

Tony Soprano: [begins singing] Under the Boardwalk. With a schlong in Jan's mouth.
:lmao:   :lmao:  

Tony Soprano : [over the phone]  It's a bad connection, so I'm gonna talk fast! The guy you're looking for is an ex-commando! He killed sixteen Chechen rebels single-handed!

Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri : Get the #### outta here.

Tony Soprano : Yeah. Nice, huh? He was with the Interior Ministry. Guy's some kind of Russian green beret. This guy can not come back to tell this story. You understand?

Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri : I hear you.

[the telephone connection is lost - Tony swears, and Paulie hangs up] 

Paulie 'Walnuts' Gualtieri : [turning to Christopher]  You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. The guy was an interior decorator.

Christopher Moltisanti : His house looked like ####.

Users who are viewing this thread