What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (4 Viewers)

I’ve never really been one to throw out predictions for the finale, but I think I have one now. I have always thought that the series hinged on two things: Tony’s relationship w/ his mother and Tony’s struggle to balance his family and his “family.”

Based on what appears to me in the previews as AJ being in a trunk of a car (although this doesn’t necessarily need to happen for my general theory to play out) I feel Tony’s decision between which family his loyalty truly lies with comes down to AJ.

I think that Phil orders a kidnapping of AJ. I feel that this isn’t something out of Phil’s reach or something he wouldn’t do. He still holds quite a grudge over the death of his brother and wants revenge on Tony. Phil was unable to kill Tony B because Tony beat him to it. Also, he is now unable to exact revenge on Christopher because, again, Tony beat him to it. Phil didn’t really give a #### that Co Co disrespected Tony by threatening his daughter. Also, as Meadow pointed out, the son is who is important in the Italian family.

That point helps lead me towards why Tony is going to choose the mob over AJ. Tony has already stated that he resents his son while talking with Melfi. He has stated that his only gift to his son is the Soprano’s weakness of depression/panic attacks. He has called AJ a “mama’s boy.” AJ is nothing like Tony except for the mental issues. AJ has taken on many of Tony’s mother’s traits as stated during the recent therapy session. Tony has stated that “I get it” meant that human’s spend their lives trying to get back with their mother’s when they need to learn to let their mom’s go.

Tony is going to have a choice between letting AJ suffer by Phil’s hands and either stepping down from NJ (unlikely) or taking a major hit financially and losing serious respect. Tony, instead, is going to show everybody how strong he really is, and a la Kazer Sose he is going to kill AJ himself (we have seen him already kill 2 family members that he seemingly loved as much as AJ). Tony will have come full circle. His mom tried to kill him, but she failed. Tony will succeed in ending the Soprano curse by killing his only son.

This is all probably too detailed to happen this way (AJ probably isn’t even kidnapped), but, in the end I think Tony in some major way chooses the mob over AJ and his family and it is because of his relationship with his mother and how he feels his legacy (AJ) is a reflection of all that is weak and wrong with Tony, rather than any of his strengths.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steven Van Zandt on Stern right now, says that there will be major violence in the last 2 episodes.
figures, the one time I'm not listening.he have anything else interesting to say?
Not much else that revealing about the show. The cast is like familyHard to kill Adrianna, hard to be violent with a woman in generalHeld out for 200K per episode as a sign of respect, not really the moneyRealized how hard Gandolfini really works when he had to do so many scenes as acting bossTalked about Springsteen a lot. Came on at about the 2 hr 45 minute mark.

I’ve never really been one to throw out predictions for the finale, but I think I have one now. I have always thought that the series hinged on two things: Tony’s relationship w/ his mother and Tony’s struggle to balance his family and his “family.”Based on what appears to me in the previews as AJ being in a trunk of a car (although this doesn’t necessarily need to happen for my general theory to play out) I feel Tony’s decision between which family his loyalty truly lies with comes down to AJ.I think that Phil orders a kidnapping of AJ. I feel that this isn’t something out of Phil’s reach or something he wouldn’t do. He still holds quite a grudge over the death of his brother and wants revenge on Tony. Phil was unable to kill Tony B because Tony beat him to it. Also, he is now unable to exact revenge on Christopher because, again, Tony beat him to it. Phil didn’t really give a #### that Co Co disrespected Tony by threatening his daughter. Also, as Meadow pointed out, the son is who is important in the Italian family. That point helps lead me towards why Tony is going to choose the mob over AJ. Tony has already stated that he resents his son while talking with Melfi. He has stated that his only gift to his son is the Soprano’s weakness of depression/panic attacks. He has called AJ a “mama’s boy.” AJ is nothing like Tony except for the mental issues. AJ has taken on many of Tony’s mother’s traits as stated during the recent therapy session. Tony has stated that “I get it” meant that human’s spend their lives trying to get back with their mother’s when they need to learn to let their mom’s go. Tony is going to have a choice between letting AJ suffer by Phil’s hands and either stepping down from NJ (unlikely) or taking a major hit financially and losing serious respect. Tony, instead, is going to show everybody how strong he really is, and a la Kazer Sose he is going to kill AJ himself (we have seen him already kill 2 family members that he seemingly loved as much as AJ). Tony will have come full circle. His mom tried to kill him, but she failed. Tony will succeed in ending the Soprano curse by killing his only son.This is all probably too detailed to happen this way (AJ probably isn’t even kidnapped), but, in the end I think Tony in some major way chooses the mob over AJ and his family and it is because of his relationship with his mother and how he feels his legacy (AJ) is a reflection of all that is weak and wrong with Tony, rather than any of his strengths.
:thumbup:

After watching the previews again, I am 99.9% certain that Syl says to Tony, "YOU'VE been playing both sides of the fence".

Take a look at the youtube link given earlier.

Even though I do not like A.J., that was scary, watching him fight for his life in the pool.
I have a question for those of you who are good swimmers and comfortable in the water, because I am neither. Obviously, it was difficult for AJ to save himself because he was disoriented and desperate. But lets say that someone of sound mind who is perfectly calm did exactly what AJ did. Once the cinder block hit the bottom of the pool, would it be physically possible to dive head-first to the cinder block at the bottom of the pool, then carry it back up to the surface? Or would the block simply too heavy even for a strong person?
Sorry, I'm a little behind (I was out of town and DVR'd this episode, so I didn't watch it until last night) but yes, a good swimmer could easily have escaped this. I would have been out of there in about 15 seconds.
AJ mentions how his arms are FREEZING. i once slipped through some ice and went into a brook up to my knees. I was just a bit younger than AJ. My entire body froze from shock. I couldnt even move. My buddy had to help me get out. That water wasnt frozen but it was winter and had to be pretty cold.

Just a thought after watching that preview again, I'll throw it in spoiler tags in case it bothers anyone....
mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("The sweatshirt Pauly is wearing looks like it has a solid light color down the arms. The sweartshirt in the strangling looks to just have a light colored stripe. Very similar though.

And Pauly definitely seems to be standing up to Baccala.

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***

");document.close();
After slow-mo-ing a few times....I agree that Sil says "YOU've been playing both sides of the fence."

Who is Pat Jr going to shoot...Coco? And his dad seems upset about something...

I’ve never really been one to throw out predictions for the finale, but I think I have one now. I have always thought that the series hinged on two things: Tony’s relationship w/ his mother and Tony’s struggle to balance his family and his “family.”Based on what appears to me in the previews as AJ being in a trunk of a car (although this doesn’t necessarily need to happen for my general theory to play out) I feel Tony’s decision between which family his loyalty truly lies with comes down to AJ.I think that Phil orders a kidnapping of AJ. I feel that this isn’t something out of Phil’s reach or something he wouldn’t do. He still holds quite a grudge over the death of his brother and wants revenge on Tony. Phil was unable to kill Tony B because Tony beat him to it. Also, he is now unable to exact revenge on Christopher because, again, Tony beat him to it. Phil didn’t really give a #### that Co Co disrespected Tony by threatening his daughter. Also, as Meadow pointed out, the son is who is important in the Italian family. That point helps lead me towards why Tony is going to choose the mob over AJ. Tony has already stated that he resents his son while talking with Melfi. He has stated that his only gift to his son is the Soprano’s weakness of depression/panic attacks. He has called AJ a “mama’s boy.” AJ is nothing like Tony except for the mental issues. AJ has taken on many of Tony’s mother’s traits as stated during the recent therapy session. Tony has stated that “I get it” meant that human’s spend their lives trying to get back with their mother’s when they need to learn to let their mom’s go. Tony is going to have a choice between letting AJ suffer by Phil’s hands and either stepping down from NJ (unlikely) or taking a major hit financially and losing serious respect. Tony, instead, is going to show everybody how strong he really is, and a la Kazer Sose he is going to kill AJ himself (we have seen him already kill 2 family members that he seemingly loved as much as AJ). Tony will have come full circle. His mom tried to kill him, but she failed. Tony will succeed in ending the Soprano curse by killing his only son.This is all probably too detailed to happen this way (AJ probably isn’t even kidnapped), but, in the end I think Tony in some major way chooses the mob over AJ and his family and it is because of his relationship with his mother and how he feels his legacy (AJ) is a reflection of all that is weak and wrong with Tony, rather than any of his strengths.
:shrug:
This is a very feasible ending. Tony wouldn't feel that badly, because AJ may have already been dead to him (just like his mother was to him). If it wasn't for Tony, he would be dead. He didn't kill him, AJ killed himself. I can see Tony with that crazy rationale before, during and after the fact - if he did kill AJ. Interesting thoughts leeroy. :loco: If that turns out to be even semi-true, I will feel shafted in that it wasn't more of a surprise, because I heard it here first. But, oh well - we'll see. Might Carmella then take Tony's life? :shrug: or too far-fetched?

That's a very interesting guess, but I really don't think that Tony is complacent as to the fate of his son. If anything, I was surprised that Tony reacted so well to A.J.'s suicide attempt - I would've thought there was a chance of Tony disowning him after that. But that scene when Tony pulled him out of the pool and was holding him and saying "It's alright baby" I thought was Tony's real feelings about it. And then of course last week's episode ends with Tony visiting A.J., large pizza in hand. A pizza in itself isn't a big deal, but it's been something Tony has used in the passed to patch things up with A.J. - almost his way to apologize.

Any attack made on A.J. by New York would incite Tony exponentially more than Coco's comments to Meadow did.

JetsWillWin said:
That's a very interesting guess, but I really don't think that Tony is complacent as to the fate of his son. If anything, I was surprised that Tony reacted so well to A.J.'s suicide attempt - I would've thought there was a chance of Tony disowning him after that. But that scene when Tony pulled him out of the pool and was holding him and saying "It's alright baby" I thought was Tony's real feelings about it. And then of course last week's episode ends with Tony visiting A.J., large pizza in hand. A pizza in itself isn't a big deal, but it's been something Tony has used in the passed to patch things up with A.J. - almost his way to apologize. Any attack made on A.J. by New York would incite Tony exponentially more than Coco's comments to Meadow did.
Also a ;) I can't wait for the last 2 episodes to see how things pan out, but in the same breath I don't want this great show to go away either. :thumbup:

pricklypete said:
After a second viewing, Lincoln Log Sammiches are indeed big beef hot dogs split with cream cheese spread on them.That is all.
:thumbup: ;) Who would even have thought to put these two together in the first place?

JetsWillWin said:
That's a very interesting guess, but I really don't think that Tony is complacent as to the fate of his son. If anything, I was surprised that Tony reacted so well to A.J.'s suicide attempt - I would've thought there was a chance of Tony disowning him after that. But that scene when Tony pulled him out of the pool and was holding him and saying "It's alright baby" I thought was Tony's real feelings about it. And then of course last week's episode ends with Tony visiting A.J., large pizza in hand. A pizza in itself isn't a big deal, but it's been something Tony has used in the passed to patch things up with A.J. - almost his way to apologize. Any attack made on A.J. by New York would incite Tony exponentially more than Coco's comments to Meadow did.
Yea, I know Tony was showing sympathy when he saved him and was rubbing his head etc. and that Tony has always brought a pizza instead of an olive branch when he and AJ had issues. Tony also, after consoling AJ at the suicide attempt scene said all of the things I referenced above and was certainly embarrassed in front of his collegues. Tony didnt show up w/ Carmella to visit AJ (I took the Meadow being rearended as a lie by Carm) and did he miss or was he late for a therapy session (i forget). Regardless, during the session they were in together, Tony wasnt very sympatheic at all. Now, you may very well be right though because the episode did end with Tony going to visit alone. I just think Tony choosing his real family over the mob is too much of a "happily ever after" type ending that I just dont see happening. Chase for the past 3 seasons has been painting Tony is a poor light so that we dont feel bad for him . . . he had become to likable a character.

Capella said:
great post leeroy. that would be a fantastic ending.
Agreed. I was getting almost as uncomfortable thinking about that as an ending as I was watching AJ sitting on the end of the diving board with a cinder block in his lap.

BTW once again, Edie Falco proves to be as good as anyone out there at portraying frustrated grief. The scene where they take AJ away at the hospital and she starts breaking down is exceptional acting.

pricklypete said:
QUEZILLA said:
Capella said:
jcole76 said:
I believe the reference that Silvio makes to Tony about playing both side of the fence could be in regards to him finding out that Tony is sharing info with the feds
Interesting. This could be exactly where the whole Arabs storyline ends up...instead of something happening with the actual terrorists, it leads to Tony's guys no longer trusting him.
:loco:
:unsure: That is a good thought.
:lmao: Great thinking here.

Next ep says somethng about a mistaken identity...then preview shows Tony's truck. Does someone in Tony's truck get shot...Carm, AJ, or Meadow?

How fun would it be if Sil was referring to Little Carmine in the "playing both sides" statement? What if Little Carmine's dumb shtick proves to be an act, and he's actually trying to play Tony and Phil against each other so that he can swoop in and easily pick up the pieces after they destroy one another? I know it's far fetched, but it sure seems like Little Carmine has gotten "stupider" since the power struggle between him and Johnny Sac after Carmine Sr died. And, they made a big deal out of showing Tony trying to push Little Carmine into the driver's seat before Doc/Phil took back over.

How fun would it be if Sil was referring to Little Carmine in the "playing both sides" statement? What if Little Carmine's dumb shtick proves to be an act, and he's actually trying to play Tony and Phil against each other so that he can swoop in and easily pick up the pieces after they destroy one another? I know it's far fetched, but it sure seems like Little Carmine has gotten "stupider" since the power struggle between him and Johnny Sac after Carmine Sr died. And, they made a big deal out of showing Tony trying to push Little Carmine into the driver's seat before Doc/Phil took back over.
why wouldn't have Little Carmine just taken the opportunity to become boss when the job was open and he had Tony's support?

it's good to have an uncle as a higher up at hbo.

i won't ruin the end for anyone but let me just tell you, you will be floored at how it ends. i NEVER thought that the producers would have that go down on the show (the way it ends--very un-sopranos and instead 24 like). i was also happy that the big bang happened only halfway through the finale and they still had about 20 minutes of followup following the plot ending.

let me say i think this season has been up and down but i can guarantee nobody who has been a fan of the sopranos will be let down...at all.

it's a very "holy sh%t" ending.

there is a 0% chance i can tell anyone.

i saw it with 14 other people at a small theatre in nyc and we all had to sign paperwork basically saying if we are responsible for leaking the finale to the media or any other form of mass media (posting on blogs, message boards, radio shows etc..) they can legally sue us for $450,000

there is a 0% chance i can tell anyone.i saw it with 14 other people at a small theatre in nyc and we all had to sign paperwork basically saying if we are responsible for leaking the finale to the media or any other form of mass media (posting on blogs, message boards, radio shows etc..) they can legally sue us for $450,000
:hot: lmFAo:deadhorse:

Hmm, terrorist explosion in NYC????????

I get that from the 24 reference as well as "Big Bang"

Thanks for spoiling it all. :deadhorse:

there is a 0% chance i can tell anyone.i saw it with 14 other people at a small theatre in nyc and we all had to sign paperwork basically saying if we are responsible for leaking the finale to the media or any other form of mass media (posting on blogs, message boards, radio shows etc..) they can legally sue us for $450,000
My company processes all of the film for the Sopranos. I would never dream to ask anyone from the lab what happens on the film and they would never dream to tell me. The fact you've leaked as much as you have even means you probably shouldn't have been invited.
:goodposting:

it' the big bang happened only halfway through the finale and they still had about 20 minutes of followup following the plot ending.
if they end it any way like the finale of 6 feet under then I will be totally satisfied. I never watched the show, but caught the finale and I was floored by the cinimatic greatness of the last few minutes of the show. I could easly see that technique fitting into the Sopranos finale

Why even start the thread, then?

What if Carmine was actually taking Tony to get whacked at the end the other day? Notice Phil said to him from the window, "Cooler heads have prevailed." If cooler heads had prevailed, then he would have talked to Tony, right? Maybe his cooler head was deciding to not kill Tony. Tony, on the other hand, will have no idea, and might take that alleged insult as the last straw before taking action.

why wouldn't have Little Carmine just taken the opportunity to become boss when the job was open and he had Tony's support?
Carmine answered that question in a previous episode. He said it wasn't worth it.

because:

LOOK AT ME, I GOT TO SEE THE FINALE BEFORE ANYONE ELSE AND I'M NOT TELLING, WELL MAYBE JUST A LITTLE

I saw the finale 3 weeks ago. Joe Pesci comes back and beats Phil to death with his shinebox.

What if Carmine was actually taking Tony to get whacked at the end the other day? Notice Phil said to him from the window, "Cooler heads have prevailed." If cooler heads had prevailed, then he would have talked to Tony, right? Maybe his cooler head was deciding to not kill Tony. Tony, on the other hand, will have no idea, and might take that alleged insult as the last straw before taking action.
I thought about this for a little while, but I just couldn't convince myself of Carmine being that smooth.

no way would phil do something like that at his house.

Carmine answered that question in a previous episode. He said it wasn't worth it.
I think his point was that Shrek's idea that Carmine is playing them to take over was illogical, because Little Carmine had the chance to be boss before and, as you said, said it wasn't worth it.Unless Little Carmine re-considered . . . :popcorn:

right. Phil just meant that the piece of #### weasel butchie talked him out of it. i wanted tony to shoot him so bad at Co Co's

I thought about this for a little while, but I just couldn't convince myself of Carmine being that smooth.
Heh, true, but I think it is very possible. It is not like Carmine had to do too much acting with it, anyway. And he wouldn't have been the one pulling the trigger.
Exactly. His initial and irrational reaction to Coco's beating was to have Tony killed, but his cooler head realized that it was a bad idea, hence his "cooler heads have prevailed" comment.

Heh, true, but I think it is very possible.
Exactly. His initial and irrational reaction to Coco's beating was to have Tony killed, but his cooler head realized that it was a bad idea, hence his "cooler heads have prevailed" comment.
But the "cooler heads have prevailed" comment wasn't in reference to the beating. It was in reference to him canceling the sit down.

But the "cooler heads have prevailed" comment wasn't in reference to the beating. It was in reference to him canceling the sit down.
Exactly. That is my point. A cooler head would have agreed to talk to Tony and accepted his apology, instead of refusing to see him. By telling Carmine that cooler heads had prevailed, he was telling him that he decided not to kill Tony, at least for the time being. I think this is a very real possibility.

Exactly. That is my point. A cooler head would have agreed to talk to Tony and accepted his apology, instead of refusing to see him. By telling Carmine that cooler heads had prevailed, he was telling him that he decided not to kill Tony, at least for the time being. I think this is a very real possibility.
I agree with this theory. It's very plausible.

Or, it could be just another one of many malapropisms, in the show and by Phil.

Users who are viewing this thread