What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (5 Viewers)

Tell me this, FGIaLC. If you had to guess, do you think Chase expected the generally poor-reception this finale received in the media, here and elsewhere? Was his choice of such an "FU" deliberate, in your opinion?
Yeah, I think he knew he'd be pissing people off. But I think he did it out of some misguided attempt at artistic expression, rather than as a prank on the audience.

Tell me this, FGIaLC. If you had to guess, do you think Chase expected the generally poor-reception this finale received in the media, here and elsewhere? Was his choice of such an "FU" deliberate, in your opinion?
Yeah, I think he knew he'd be pissing people off. But I think he did it out of some misguided attempt at artistic expression, rather than as a prank on the audience.
Agreed.

Well, unless I missed it earlier (still working my way through this morning's comments), what idea/theme do you think he attempted to express but either failed at or chose wrong?I'm legitimately curious.

ETA: You too, packersfan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sam Malone walking away happy is realistic. Mob bosses don't walk away happy so it's no surprise that Chase didn't end the show that way. So that really only leaves him getting killed. Did people need to see that just for the ending to be "satisfying"?
IMO, no. Someone here had a good ending in which Meadow walks in and they sit and toast to everyones new/ fresh start. :shrug:
Here's mine: Meadow walks in and the guy from the bathroom comes out and gives Tony an odd look before walking away and then the show fades to black with the family having dinner. I could have lived with that because you don't have to lose Tony or anyone else but the previous tension allows you to remember that Tony is never safe. The abruptness of the fade to black was probably too much but it was unexpected, I'll give him that.

Sam Malone walking away happy is realistic. Mob bosses don't walk away happy so it's no surprise that Chase didn't end the show that way. So that really only leaves him getting killed. Did people need to see that just for the ending to be "satisfying"?
IMO, no. Someone here had a good ending in which Meadow walks in and they sit and toast to everyones new/ fresh start. :bag:
Here's mine: Meadow walks in and the guy from the bathroom comes out and gives Tony an odd look before walking away and then the show fades to black with the family having dinner. I could have lived with that because you don't have to lose Tony or anyone else but the previous tension allows you to remember that Tony is never safe. The abruptness of the fade to black was probably too much but it was unexpected, I'll give him that.
Agreed. :shrug:

Well, unless I missed it earlier (still working my way through this morning's comments), what idea/theme do you think he attempted to express but either failed at or chose wrong?
I think a lot of folks here have already identified the key themes that he was going for. People don't change much or in consistent ways. Life doesn't have neat beginnings and endings. Stuff like that.

Evilgrin 72 said:
duker47 said:
Evilgrin 72 said:
Except Cheers. That show wrapped up without wrapping up - that was about as good a final episode as there ever will be.
I beg to differ on the "Cheers" finale not wrapping up.For the most part, everyone that ran through the bar had moved on from hanging out at the bar: Woody met/married Kelli and became a Congressman (or whatever he got elected to); Diane made an appearance, to show that she had already moved on from her days at Cheers; Lilith was already off to the Biosphere; Rebecca realized there was more to life than power/money and took off with Tom Berenger the plumber; Frasier (as we found out for the following 8 years) moved back to Seattle, etc.... I threw the etc. in there because I can't remember how Cliffy moved on.Before the "We're closed" line from Sam at the end of the episode, Norm was the last person to leave the bar. The philosophical discussion between Sam and Norm summed it up: Norm asked Sam, if Sam knew what Norm loved. Sam said "Beer?". Norm said something to the effect of "Sure I'll have another." to get the laughs. But after that, Norm made some comment that people need to know who or what they love, and Norm needed to get home to Vera. At that point, Sam took a look around at the empty place, ran his hands around the bar, and said "I love this place".IMO Sam realized that Cheers was his calling. All his friends over the past few years found theirs.I believed that in the future, Sam would continue to own Cheers, and love it....even though realizing that his prior clientele/friends (Frasier, Woody, Diane, Rebecca etc.) have found a new page in their life, Cheers is his.
It was actually :Norm : "You know what I love, Sammy?"Sam : "Beer, Norm?"Norm : "Yeah, I'll have a quick one. [laughter] I love that stool ! If there's a heaven, I don't want to go there unless my stool is waiting for me. And even God better not be sitting on it."Sam : "He wouldn't dare. You know what I think? I think you should go home, wake Vera up and do what comes naturally."Norm : "Wake her up so she can watch me eat a bucket of buffalo wings?"Sam : "Maybe not."Norm : "Well, I'm off. Just remember.. you can never be unfaithful to your one true love. You always come back to her."Sam : "Norm? What is that?"Norm : "Think about it Sammy."[pause as Sam surveys bar]Sam : "I'm the luckiest son of a ##### on Earth."Best ending ever, but what I meant by it not wrapping up is that unlike other shows where events split up or sideline the characters (i.e. Seinfeld, Three's Company, Family Ties, Friends, Frasier, etc...) you were left to believe that the next day, the same people would be back in the same bar doing the same things. Rebecca got married but still worked there, Woody was still working there despite getting elected to the city council, Frasier wasn't going anywhere (they didn't move him to Seattle until the spinoff) - Cliff and Norm merely got a promotion and a new job, but would still be at the bar every day, Carla was still working there, etc.. There was no "end" per se, just the feeling that you were no longer going to be seeing what was going on in that bar. Sopranos ended much the same way, but it wasn't as satisfying.
:shrug: My three favorite shows ever are Cheers, Seinfeld, and The Sopranos. For each one, I was excited as hell yet a bit sad when the last episode aired. Cheers was the only one of the three that I was completely satisfied by, when it was all said and done.
First the exchange above, then the guy comes to the door and Sam replies : "Sorry. We're closed." Walks away from the door towards the back, straightens the picture of the Indian that represents Coach, and walks into the pool room. End. Couldn't have been done better.

The Noid said:
Christo said:
The Noid said:
With everyone seeming to think that the end of the show is going to be about Tony dying, going to jail or his “downfall,” what about the last few episodes building up to something where Tony becomes more powerful and ruthless and does something like take out Phil and whoever else stands in his way. So after all the life-altering experiences and the therapy, etc. Tony just simply comes to grips with who he is and embraces it. ("I get it.")

Just saying that after all the other things people have complained about Chase doing, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he ended things on a simple and understated note that is going to piss off a lot of fans.
:goodposting:
You're calling the ending simple and understated????????
The show ended with Tony at a diner with his family eating onion rings I predicted vanilla ice cream as the ending (have I mentioned that yet?) :ptts: . Compared to what people were predicting for how it would all end (Scarface killing spree, Tony flipping or going to jail, AJ running the family, etc.) yeah, I’d say so.

No, and I'm among those that, despite my initial reaction, have really come around to thinking the Sopranos ending is a lot better than people are giving it credit for. However, you have to admit, it was a big time buildup to no "payoff", which is what turns a lot of people off. No one should be surprised by this, as it is Chase's M.O., but that preceding scene was so tense (and the use of Journey really worked and I don't know how - if someone had suggested that song to me as the one they'd use in such a scene, I would have laughed out loud) that you expected SOMETHING to happen. When it didn't, it just felt sort of hollow. That's why I didn't like it at first, but the more I thought about it the more I did.Cheers' ending was similar in that you were left with the feeling that life just went on. There wasn't some huge event that caused the story to be wrapped up, it just ended. However, the way they wrote it gave the viewer an air of completion that was lacking in The Sopranos' ending, which is why it ruffled so many feathers.

My three favorite shows ever are Cheers, Seinfeld, and The Sopranos. For each one, I was excited as hell yet a bit sad when the last episode aired. Cheers was the only one of the three that I was completely satisfied by, when it was all said and done.
I agree with your whole post, but I would say that each ending fit the show. Seinfeld was hilarious, but I was never emotionally attached to any characters or places in the show. Each episode would make me laugh out loud, but they weren't usually satisfying by the end. I was emotionally involved with Cheers characters, and for the most part, each episode was somewhat satisfying emotionally.I was also emotionally involved with Sopranos characters, but the episodes for the most part were not emotionally satisfying. I was always wondering what was going to be going on next, often disappointed that the storyteller wouldn't tell me (Russians, for example) but enjoyed being pulled along like that. I didn't really expect any different for the last episode. Well, really, I didn't know what to expect, but I'm actually happy it ended that way. Unsatisfied, yeah. But I thought that was cool.(edit to clear earlier quotes)

No, and I'm among those that, despite my initial reaction, have really come around to thinking the Sopranos ending is a lot better than people are giving it credit for. However, you have to admit, it was a big time buildup to no "payoff", which is what turns a lot of people off. No one should be surprised by this, as it is Chase's M.O., but that preceding scene was so tense (and the use of Journey really worked and I don't know how - if someone had suggested that song to me as the one they'd use in such a scene, I would have laughed out loud) that you expected SOMETHING to happen. When it didn't, it just felt sort of hollow. That's why I didn't like it at first, but the more I thought about it the more I did.Cheers' ending was similar in that you were left with the feeling that life just went on. There wasn't some huge event that caused the story to be wrapped up, it just ended. However, the way they wrote it gave the viewer an air of completion that was lacking in The Sopranos' ending, which is why it ruffled so many feathers.
I'm pretty much right there with you except that I liked it sooner.

Watched it for a second time today, sober. Wasn't as bad as I thought last night. I think I was too concerned with how much time was left and worried about what wasn't able to happen because of the time left.

The second time through, I knew what was going to happen so I was able to watch and enjoy. THe ending still gets to me that a number of things could happen but was left up in the air. I replayed Tony's last final scene. I thought maybe he was looking up at the two black guys but it appears the door chime got his attention and it was consistent with Meadow walking through the door.

So much was going on inside Holstens. Not just the people but also Tony telling Carm about the guy testifying and revealing his future problems. Good episode, needed one more minute to properly end.

Drifter said:
JetsWillWin said:
Okay, I'd like to hear some answers to one question.Putting aside the "because Chase wants to #### with you" thoughts, are there any other opinions out there on what the explanation would be to having the end of the finale snap into a black screen like that other than Tony's death?I just want to hear what people think that meant so I can consider it.
As I posted last night, the show was always about Tony and his real family, not Tony and his mafia family.
I agree with that, yet I have no idea how that's supposed to answer my question.

Well, unless I missed it earlier (still working my way through this morning's comments), what idea/theme do you think he attempted to express but either failed at or chose wrong?I'm legitimately curious.

ETA: You too, packersfan.
For me, it wasn't a question of him missing on any themes. It's just that he chose a particular path (the "it's not really an ending" ending or the "life goes on" ending) which failed to bring the show to a meaningful resolution. For me. I didn't need to see Tony get whacked - in fact I never expected that to happen as I said earlier - and I didn't need to see murder and mayhem. But I just wanted something of significance to happen that would bring this story to a close. Instead, Chase chose the "it's not really over" ending which to me, felt like a cliche because I've seen it done before. I actually think that given what Tony has all done of late the most fitting ending for him would have been victorious in his war against Phil but left alone, deserted by his family (the only thing in his life that had any true meaning). He's become a despicable character (even Gandolfini admitted it's become nearly impossible to like Tony after he murdered Christopher) and I think at some point at the end Chase needed to make some kind of moral judgment as to where Tony should stand. Instead, he chose not to, instead leaving it to our own interpretations.

That's fine and good I suppose to some degree but I can't help feeling like it's a cop out. I would have preferred that Chase took a position and stood fast on it as opposed to avoiding the issue completely as he chose to. But that's me.

For my money, the Tony and Junior scene was one of the best in show history(I vaciliate between that and the Big ####hey whacking) .

I dug the close, but maybe that scene really scene really colored things, it was amazingly powerful to me.

R.I.P. Tony Soprano. After reading through the last several pages, and remembering the conversation he had with Bobby on the boat, it's the only thing that makes sense. This was my initial thought, that we were seeing it from Tony's perspective and he got popped in the side of the head.

I was kind of confused how Butchie changed so quickly from one episode to the next. He seemed to be the one that despised Tony the most, but he changed so fast.

It also seemed like everyone went from being on high alert, to not watching their backs in an instant.

It was still the best show on television imho, I just wanted to see the gun. :banned:

Now that think about it, I would have rather seen Scarface just end with Tony Montana sitting at his desk with his face in the mountain of yayo.

Chase should have ended the series with Vito Jr. stepping in his crap, that would have been classic :boxing:

R.I.P. Tony Soprano. After reading through the last several pages, and remembering the conversation he had with Bobby on the boat, it's the only thing that makes sense. This was my initial thought, that we were seeing it from Tony's perspective and he got popped in the side of the head.

I was kind of confused how Butchie changed so quickly from one episode to the next. He seemed to be the one that despised Tony the most, but he changed so fast.

It also seemed like everyone went from being on high alert, to not watching their backs in an instant.

It was still the best show on television imho, I just wanted to see the gun. :D

ow that think about it, I would have rather seen Scarface just end with Tony Montana sitting at his desk with his face in the mountain of yayo. :boxing: That would have been pure genius!

Chase should have ended the series with Vito Jr. stepping in his crap, that would have been classic :banned:

I was kind of confused how Butchie changed so quickly from one episode to the next. He seemed to be the one that despised Tony the most, but he changed so fast.It also seemed like everyone went from being on high alert, to not watching their backs in an instant.
this was a little odd to me as well. the NY guys said "we feel like this war has gone too far" or something like that. but, based on what was shown in the episodes, it seemed like the jersey guys were the ones getting wiped out and running scared. not sure why those guys were so willing to agree to a truce and betray Phil after basically backing his takeover not too long ago.

I was kind of confused how Butchie changed so quickly from one episode to the next. He seemed to be the one that despised Tony the most, but he changed so fast.It also seemed like everyone went from being on high alert, to not watching their backs in an instant.
this was a little odd to me as well. the NY guys said "we feel like this war has gone too far" or something like that. but, based on what was shown in the episodes, it seemed like the jersey guys were the ones getting wiped out and running scared. not sure why those guys were so willing to agree to a truce and betray Phil after basically backing his takeover not too long ago.
i thought the same thing, but maybe after how phil was treating butchie he started to get 2nd thoughts especially knowing that with tony still alive he was on the top of the list to get killed. if phil wasn't going to take care of him why should he be risking his life?the whole "we need to talk after all of this" conversation when phil hung up on him showed this i thought.

cjdavis said:
Nipsey said:
"I hate everyone who watches the show." -David Chase"We don't get it. Did Tony die? Will there be a movie?" -Us
An ironically :goodposting: .The above is precisely why last night's ending was great. Chase single-handedly made 95% of the viewing public entertaining to the remaining 5% of us. Hope he at least has internet access in the south of France to savor all this.Andy Kaufman is smiling somewhere in heaven right now.
It's closer to Ashton Kushner then Andy Kaufman.
The reason I disagree with this is, IMHO and only in retrospect, Chase telegraphed this ending (and his disdain for the cheap-thrill voyeur) in both last week's Bada-Bing hit on Silvio/Patsy and then again in the graphic demise of Phil Leotardo. It's all in the prolonged reaction shots of the Bing clientelle and the guys at the gas station last night.There was profound meaning in Chase's "prank". Can't say the same for Kutcher's.
This may be true. But I wouldn't call highlighting American/Human fascination with the cheap-thrill or voyeurism as profound. It's basically a well tread theme in most horror films nowadays.

For my money, the Tony and Junior scene was one of the best in show history(I vaciliate between that and the Big ####hey whacking) . I dug the close, but maybe that scene really scene really colored things, it was amazingly powerful to me.
I don't know if I want to call it the best in show history quite yet, but it certainly started to get dusty during that scene last night. :thumbup:

I still don't think Tony is dead. If the Members Only guy was a hitman, and was going to shoot Tony, why not just pop him walking in or walking out of the place?

biggest problem with the soprano's last night

holsten's doesn't have onion rings on their menu

http://www.holstens.com/page0004.html
Maybe that's how it ends. The waitress comes back and says "Sorry, we don't have onion rings" and then Tony whacks her. Members Only guy whacks Tony, AJ Whacks Members Only guy, dude in the corner whacks AJ and then the black dudes whack everybody who's left over. At the site of the carnage, Meadow whacks herself. It all makes sense now :lmao: -QG

I think with the grand jury the ending seemed to really scream arrest at the end not death. If they wanted to pop Tony they could have done it anywhere including when he was sitting out front of his known HQ at Satriale's. How many guys were killed in front of their families in this show? Phil was the exception because he had gone to ground. If Tony was getting hit, it wasn't going to be there in front of his family IMO. I just don't see it.

I think with the grand jury the ending seemed to really scream arrest at the end not death. If they wanted to pop Tony they could have done it anywhere including when he was sitting out front of his known HQ at Satriale's. How many guys were killed in front of their families in this show? Phil was the exception because he had gone to ground. If Tony was getting hit, it wasn't going to be there in front of his family IMO. I just don't see it.
Yup. Plus they made a rather big deal last week in saying that the families were safe and would not be harmed. Given how that's the apparent code, there's no way someone would take the chance of killing any member of Tony's family along with him. They'd do it when he was alone, with his crew or with someone not connected to his immediate family.He's alive.

:lmao: Tonight A&E @ 9 PM EST, 'Pine Barrens.'

You people who didn't like the final episode are obviously a bunch of morons who just don't get this show, and probably never did. You people probably thought this show was about the mob. It wasn't.

Superb ending. Meadow being late because she couldn't parallel park? Genius. Junior's final scene with Tony? Completely unpredictable, and unforgettable. AJ's continued depression, followed by his sorta-kinda rebound? That's what makes for great TV. The cat grilling the picture of Christopher? Made me want to slap my mother across the face. The Phil Leotardo hit? Balls-out. Chase's final scene of the series? I guess only us intellectual types can truly appreciate the absolute brilliance behind it. My one single complaint with this episode is that we could have used a little more of AJ, and lot more of Janice. Jan might be the best and most important character in the show (next to Tony, of course).

I thought the dream dequences when Tony was in his coma was as good as television could get... but David Chase, good sir, you have outdone yourself yet again. :kicksrock:

Yup. Plus they made a rather big deal last week in saying that the families were safe and would not be harmed. Given how that's the apparent code, there's no way someone would take the chance of killing any member of Tony's family along with him. They'd do it when he was alone, with his crew or with someone not connected to his immediate family.He's alive.
well, if that was really Phil's nephew doing a revenge killing, the "code" may have gone out the window. Just saying. If he really thought there was no way he'd be killed when his his family was around, Tony never would have split up with them and their actual home should have been a pretty safe place for them to stay at.

You people who didn't like the final episode are obviously a bunch of morons who just don't get this show, and probably never did. You people probably thought this show was about the mob. It wasn't.Superb ending. Meadow being late because she couldn't parallel park? Genius. Junior's final scene with Tony? Completely unpredictable, and unforgettable. AJ's continued depression, followed by his sorta-kinda rebound? That's what makes for great TV. The cat grilling the picture of Christopher? Made me want to slap my mother across the face. The Phil Leotardo hit? Balls-out. Chase's final scene of the series? I guess only us intellectual types can truly appreciate the absolute brilliance behind it. My one single complaint with this episode is that we could have used a little more of AJ, and lot more of Janice. Jan might be the best and most important character in the show (next to Tony, of course).I thought the dream dequences when Tony was in his coma was as good as television could get... but David Chase, good sir, you have outdone yourself yet again. :thumbup:
;) :lmao: ;)

Paolo Colandrea, a 47-year-old owner of a pizza joint in Penndel, Pa., played the mysterious man wearing a Member's Only jacket sitting at the bar. He was shown going to the bathroom — a way station of assassination to fans of "The Godfather."When a relative of Colandrea's picked up the phone at his pizza shop, he exclaimed: "You're trying to get in touch with him? Everyone's trying to get in touch with him!"But if Colandrea's character was there to kill Tony Soprano, the actor who played him isn't saying."I do have an idea, but I cannot really talk," Colandrea said Monday. "I have papers signed that I can't make any comments on that."Colandrea, who was born in Naples, auditioned for the role after a casting agent stopped for a bite at his shop. He claims to know definitely his character's intent and what happens following the episode's conclusion, but won't divulge it. (A bit of trivia: Colandrea's character wears a Member's Only jacket; the first episode of the final season was titled "Member's Only.")
:hifive:

I think the ending was fine. It leaves it open for a movie, which is where the big money will be made for everyone.

As for the ending, I think Tony lives. As the T.V viewer's emotions go so does Tony's. America was on the edge of it's seats thinking , that he was going to get arrested or whacked. That is the same feeling Tony has even though he is out trying to have a nice time with his family.

The best part of the ending for myself was when the screen went blank, and my wife started freaking out and screaming at someone to change the channel back. :hifive:

You people who didn't like the final episode are obviously a bunch of morons who just don't get this show, and probably never did. You people probably thought this show was about the mob. It wasn't.Superb ending. Meadow being late because she couldn't parallel park? Genius. Junior's final scene with Tony? Completely unpredictable, and unforgettable. AJ's continued depression, followed by his sorta-kinda rebound? That's what makes for great TV. The cat grilling the picture of Christopher? Made me want to slap my mother across the face. The Phil Leotardo hit? Balls-out. Chase's final scene of the series? I guess only us intellectual types can truly appreciate the absolute brilliance behind it. My one single complaint with this episode is that we could have used a little more of AJ, and lot more of Janice. Jan might be the best and most important character in the show (next to Tony, of course).I thought the dream dequences when Tony was in his coma was as good as television could get... but David Chase, good sir, you have outdone yourself yet again. :hifive:
:bag: :lmao: :lmao:

videoguy505 said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
http://drawergeek.blogspot.com/2007/06/sop...y-happened.html

Found this on a message board. If this is all true, I think people who hated that finale might do a 180. Wow.

"OK, at first I was really angry. I mean really, really angry. I can't believe though that no-one has posted by now what happened. The only thing I saw that was right, was that in the last scene we are seeing through Tony's eyes. Remember in the first season when Tony was speaking with Bobby...basically saying that you don't see your death happening?

So here is what I found out. The guy at the bar is also credited as Nikki Leotardo. The same actor played him in the first part of season 6 during a brief sit down concerning the future of Vito. That wasn't that long ago. Apparently, he is the nephew of Phil. Phil's brother Nikki Senior was killed in 1976 in a car accident. Absolutely Genius!!!! David Chase is truly rewarding the true fans who pay attention to detail.

So the point would have been that life continues and we may never know the end of the Sopranos. But if you pay attention to the history, you will find that all the answers lie in the characters in the restaurant. The trucker was the brother of the guy who was robbed by Christopher in Season 2. Remember the DVD players? The trucker had to identify the body. The boy scouts were in the train store and the black guys at the end were the ones who tried to kill Tony and only clipped him in the ear (was that season 2 or 3?).

Absolutely incredible!!!! There were three people in the restaurant who had reason to kill Tony and then it just ends. This was Chase's way of proving that he will not escape his past. It will not go on forever despite that he would like it to "don't stop". Not the fans!!! Tony would like it to keep going but just as we have to say goodbye, so does he. No more Tony and I guess we are supposed to be happy that Meadow didn't get clipped as well (she would have been between the shooter and Tony) since she is the only one worth a crap in that family.

Thank you David Chase for making it so obscure that I feel bad for hating you at first. Absolutely amazing!!!!"

ALSO:

"I feel much better about this finale after watching it a second time. In the split second before the screen goes blank you can see panic rushing over Tony's face and he also seems to be reaching under the table for something."
:hifive: Just fan fiction--none of these 3 people cited are correct--the dude in the Members Only jacket was just cast for this scene according to the interview with him before. And all black people don't look alike, these are different guys.

It's just like the jukebox said: "Any Way You Like It"
Any Way You Want It was the bad Journey song used in Caddyshack. Don't Stop Believin' was last night's bad jukebox song.

Don't know if this has been stated yet, but I just saw an interview with the actors and they said that when it was filmed, Meadow actually comes in and sits down. That's who Tony is looking at when the door opens. Chase just cut the scene short.

When Phil got out of the van I was sure he was going to get it while on the phone, so the suddenness of the gun coming in from the left of the screen was great.

The dinner sceen was riveting and suspensful, and I have no problem with the "everything remains the same" type of ending, but I didn't like the immediate cut to black.

If Chase wanted us to know Tony got whacked we could have heard a gunshot then cut to black, or we could have seen the guy come out of the bathroom, pull a gun, then cut to black (the Bobby angle with never hearing it would still stand).

If Chase wanted us to know "everything remains the same", Meadow could have sat down, began a conversation or whatever and then fade out.

I guess I'm just not smart enough to understand the brilliance of being too lazy to come up with an ending :banned:

Users who are viewing this thread