What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (4 Viewers)

Was watching the very first episode yesterday. I had forgotten there was a different "Father Phil" in the beginning.

Also, a strange/funny moment. Silvio walks up to Satriale's, where all the boys are sitting out front. They say to him "What are YOU doing here?" He replied that Gabriella sent him down there for some GABBAGOOL.

:lol:

One episode, they're all surprised to see him. The next episode, he's the consigliere of the family.

That's what I call progress!
not sure if this is sarcasm but i'm just watching it now, pretty sure that was a joke. he knew about the hit on ##### Malenga, was at AJ's birthday party, and then Tony asks him to "take care of" Artie's restaurant. Obviously he was well involved.
The part about "that's progress" was tongue-in-cheek.The part about them being surprised to see him at the pork store was not. They acted like he had never stepped foot in the place before.
And I'm saying that they obviously must have been joking when they said that.
If you say so. :unsure:

Watching Ep 2 of Season 3....I forgot about the CGI Livia for the one scene...terrible.
Just watched this one on Thursday, it's was very obvious but I'm not sure what else they could have done at tht point.
True. They probably figured they needed one last scene with her and Tony, instead of the season just starting and her character already being dead. I always wonder how this show would have gone had Nancy Marchand survived until the end. Probably would have much, much different.
Basically this would be like the actor playing Locke dying on LOST. The show started to unravel when Marchand passed away.

The show started to unravel when Marchand passed away.
:mellow: Except for a few brief hiccups regarding non-Tony storylines in Season 4 and the unevenness of Season 6a, the show never unraveled. It was still clicking on almost all cylinders when it ended.I do wonder how the rest of the series and the Tony/Livia relationship would have played out had Marchand not died, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raider Nation said:
Ghost Rider said:
I do wonder how the rest of the series and the Tony/Livia relationship would have played out had Marchand not died, though.
Chase has said the storyline would have seen their relationship repaired.
Oh, I know about him saying that, but rather than the end result, seeing the journey would have been a thing to see. Sad we never got to see it, although I doubt the repaired relationship would have seen Tony becoming a loving son and Livia a doting mother.

Boardwalk Empire trailer

1920s HBO gangster series. Chronicles the life and times of Nucky Thompson, the undisputed ruler of Atlantic City, who was equal parts politician and gangster. Created by The Sopranos' writer Terence Winter with some episodes directed by Sopranos director Tim Van Patten.

Encyclopedia Brown said:
Christaphur's Intervention.

No matter how many times I watch this scene, my ribs ache with laughter. I can watch this clip every single day and still laugh.

Tony: Wha.....you killed a dog?

Silvio: Your head was in da toilet. Disgusting. (he says while reading an index card with his pinky sticking out)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_peSCECc4I
Hilarious scene. Probably my favorite Sopranos scene ever. And what's interesting on a sociological level is that this is exactly the kind of intervention Christopher needed. A talky, emotional intervention wouldn't have done jack.

Encyclopedia Brown said:

No matter how many times I watch this scene, my ribs ache with laughter. I can watch this clip every single day and still laugh.

Silvio: Your head was in da toilet. Disgusting. (he says while reading an index card with his pinky sticking out)

Right around the 3:40 mark is hysterical with Chris calling everyone else out.

Encyclopedia Brown said:

Hilarious scene. Probably my favorite Sopranos scene ever. And what's interesting on a sociological level is that this is exactly the kind of intervention Christopher needed. A talky, emotional intervention wouldn't have done jack.
:kicksrock: You do realize that this intervention was a complete failure... right?

Encyclopedia Brown said:

:kicksrock: You do realize that this intervention was a complete failure... right?
Well, no. He only figured out how bad he'd messed up after they kicked the #### out of him.

watching season 1 on demand again and around ep 8, Tony mentions that he has to pick up Carmela at her sister's. Did we ever hear about said sister again? I guess there was nothing for her to do in any of the scripts, but seems a little odd that she would live so close and never be mentioned again.

I wonder where Harpo is eating his Sunday dinner.

I wonder what is French-Canadian for, I grew up without a mother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb7SWFgSf7o

I'm the boy's uncle!
Tony's smile at 2:54 is the most evil smile he ever gave on the show when you consider the context.
Shorter version with just the good part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvSi0iOY2O4Janice was finally getting her life in order and not sweating the small stuff.

Tony's life is in shambles and he couldn't stand to see anyone else at peace. Awesome scene.

Raider Nation said:

I'm the boy's uncle!
Tony's smile at 2:54 is the most evil smile he ever gave on the show when you consider the context.
Shorter version with just the good part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvSi0iOY2O4Janice was finally getting her life in order and not sweating the small stuff.

Tony's life is in shambles and he couldn't stand to see anyone else at peace. Awesome scene.
Well, in all fairness, I wouldn't say Janice was getting her life in order. Yes, she was doing better, but you don't cure anger management that easily or quickly. The fact that Tony got her to snap just like that was proof of that. Tony's motivation for provoking her just showed what a miserable ##### he really was at heart, as he couldn't stand to see her getting better at all while he continued to lash out at anything and everyone (like that poor guy at the Bing, whom he attacked in that episode for basically no reason), but he also ultimately knew that Janice was no better than him and it didn't take long for him to demonstrate this.In short, Tony saw right through Janice's facade and provoked her just to be a ##### and to show her, "See, you are no better than me."

Raider Nation said:

I'm the boy's uncle!

Well, in all fairness, I wouldn't say Janice was getting her life in order. Yes, she was doing better, but you don't cure anger management that easily or quickly. The fact that Tony got her to snap just like that was proof of that. Tony's motivation for provoking her just showed what a miserable ##### he really was at heart, as he couldn't stand to see her getting better at all while he continued to lash out at anything and everyone (like that poor guy at the Bing, whom he attacked in that episode for basically no reason), but he also ultimately knew that Janice was no better than him and it didn't take long for him to demonstrate this.In short, Tony saw right through Janice's facade and provoked her just to be a ##### and to show her, "See, you are no better than me."
A couple of scenes before that when Tony was in her home giving her props for her progress, did you hear the neighbor's little dog yapping non-stop through the whole scene? I'm sure it was to illustrate something that would have bothered Janice in the past, but doesn't bother her now.One small problem. It's IMPOSSIBLE for me to sit through! I hate those little crappy yapper dogs.

:shrug:

Heh, I forgot about that part. I didn't notice it the first time through, but caught it the second time.

Also, the anger management scene is great. "This is ####### priceless." :thumbup:

Yes, from a comedic standpoint, Christopher's intervention has to be the best scene in the show's history, but, while not as funny, Tony and Ralphie discussing Jackie Jr. in "Amour Fou" following the card game holdup is not far behind. Tony's manipulation of Ralphie in that scene is masterful. "And who gives a #### what people say behind your back that they don't have the balls to say to your face."

Ya know, it seems like most never put Season 3 very high on the seasons rankings, even myself - I would put it 4th probably - but it does have some fantastic episodes. In fact, the 5-run episode of...

Employee of the Month

Another Toothpick

University

Second Opinion (my personal pick for most underrated Sopranos episode ever; this is top 5 material)

He Is Risen

...is possibly the best 5-run the show ever had. Throw in Pine Barrens from later on, and this season is definitely all kinds of awesome. The biggest problem is the two episodes in between He Is Risen and Pine Barrens are pretty mediocre.

Ya know, it seems like most never put Season 3 very high on the seasons rankings, even myself - I would put it 4th probably - but it does have some fantastic episodes. In fact, the 5-run episode of...Employee of the MonthAnother ToothpickUniversitySecond Opinion (my personal pick for most underrated Sopranos episode ever; this is top 5 material)He Is Risen...is possibly the best 5-run the show ever had. Throw in Pine Barrens from later on, and this season is definitely all kinds of awesome. The biggest problem is the two episodes in between He Is Risen and Pine Barrens are pretty mediocre.
Have you heard the good news?

Haha, that guy was hilariously lame. I love when he falls asleep on Tony's shoulder on the couch on Thanksgiving Day, Tony gives him a polite shove and a "Hey" to wake him up, and then shoots Janice a perturbed look, like, "Thanks for bringing this d-bag into my house." :unsure:

Haha, that guy was hilariously lame. I love when he falls asleep on Tony's shoulder on the couch on Thanksgiving Day, Tony gives him a polite shove and a "Hey" to wake him up, and then shoots Janice a perturbed look, like, "Thanks for bringing this d-bag into my house." :unsure:
Aaron.TIME FOR TURKEY SANGWICHES!!!

I was reading about how some player from D-III Bowdoin College is in an NFL training camp this year.

My first thought about the school was of Tony taking Meadow up to visit, and seeing the guy who was in the Witness Protection Program--and Tony taking care of business.

Junior.

The blender.

Me: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Every single time.
Bobby walking into the kitchen in the Elmer Fudd outfit is even better. You know the backstory, right?
How he got James Gandolfini to laugh that hard? Oh yeah. :thumbup: And what is great is you can see Dominic Chianese almost break character...but he doesn't. :thumbup: :hifive:

I was reading about how some player from D-III Bowdoin College is in an NFL training camp this year.

My first thought about the school was of Tony taking Meadow up to visit, and seeing the guy who was in the Witness Protection Program--and Tony taking care of business.
And to think that HBO did not want the Tony Soprano to commit that murder, as they feared the audience would turn on him.

Ya know, it seems like most never put Season 3 very high on the seasons rankings, even myself - I would put it 4th probably - but it does have some fantastic episodes. In fact, the 5-run episode of...

Employee of the Month

Another Toothpick

University

Second Opinion (my personal pick for most underrated Sopranos episode ever; this is top 5 material)

He Is Risen

...is possibly the best 5-run the show ever had. Throw in Pine Barrens from later on, and this season is definitely all kinds of awesome. The biggest problem is the two episodes in between He Is Risen and Pine Barrens are pretty mediocre.
Great season. This might be the best scene http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=1eitzi...feature=relatedTony is awesome there....."anythin else?"

I wouldn't say that season 3 is the best from a critical standpoint, but I think that it might be my favorite to watch. Ralph was so much fun and University was probably the most impactful on me.

Here is a podcast with TV critics Alan Sepinwall and Dan Fienberg and their guest Mike Schur, who is the creator of "Parks and Recreation," and has written for SNL and The Office.

They discuss The Sopranos and The Wire and opine about which show is better.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/the-fien-print...dcast-no-31?m=p

"Wire"/"Sopranos" talk with special guest Mike Schur -- 00:00 - 50:50

"Mad Men" discussion -- 52:30 - 1:07:20

Watching a movie on Starz from last year called "The Taking of Pelham 123" about a bunch of guys who hijack a NYC subway train. Stars Denzel and Travolta. Somehow, I had never heard of this before.

Anyway, James Gandolfini plays the mayor of New York City in what could best be described as one of the most unfortunate casting decisions ever. First, when you see him ALL you see is Tony Soprano. He will be typecast for the rest of his life. And he is consciously trying so hard to not sound like Tony Soprano that it's actually distracting.

Michael Rispoli is in it also. He played Jackie Aprile, Sr.

This isn't Travolta's best work, BTW. He is severly overacting.

Watching a movie on Starz from last year called "The Taking of Pelham 123" about a bunch of guys who hijack a NYC subway train. Stars Denzel and Travolta. Somehow, I had never heard of this before.

Anyway, James Gandolfini plays the mayor of New York City in what could best be described as one of the most unfortunate casting decisions ever. First, when you see him ALL you see is Tony Soprano. He will be typecast for the rest of his life. And he is consciously trying so hard to not sound like Tony Soprano that it's actually distracting.

Gandolfini did well in the underrated melodrama The Last Castle. Didn't make me think of Tony at all.

Gandolfini did well in the underrated melodrama The Last Castle. Didn't make me think of Tony at all.
He did. The military uniform was just enough to throw you off the scent of Tony. :goodposting:

First, when you see him ALL you see is Tony Soprano. He will be typecast for the rest of his life. And he is consciously trying so hard to not sound like Tony Soprano that it's actually distracting.
I agree and had the exact same sentiment when he did that prison movie with Robert Redford, "The Last Castle" awhile back.From the glasses he wore to how starched his uniform was and the over-enunciating speech--he was trying waaay too hard.

On the other hand, I thought he was pretty good in the Coen Bros. flick "The Man Who Wasn't There". He was good because he wasn't trying too hard.

As far as typecasting, JK Simmons has carved out a very good career despite playing a Nazi homosexual rapist for seven years on "OZ". If he can do it, Gandolfini certainly can.

On a sidenote, WGN Superstation runs episodes of "Lou Grant", and I had forgotten that Nancy Marchand played the owner of the LA newspaper that Lou runs.

She wasn't Livia in that show.

I also remember Nancy Marchand as the commissioner (I think) from The Naked Gun flicks, as well as Frasier's demented mom in a Season 3 episode of Cheers.

You guys ever seen this dude

on YouTube who does Sopranos impersonations?OMG... :shrug: :lmao:

Scroll forward to about the 1:05 mark in that link.

I'm sure this has been said before, but it's true:

The Sopranos began a quick decline when Nancy Marchand died.

The first two seasons of this show are probably my favorite of any in history. And yes, there were some really good episodes in the years after Marchand died. But I think this series could never truly recover from her passing. Tony's mother was the anchor to this show's brilliance.

Users who are viewing this thread