What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (3 Viewers)

I'm sure this has been said before, but it's true:The Sopranos began a quick decline when Nancy Marchand died. The first two seasons of this show are probably my favorite of any in history. And yes, there were some really good episodes in the years after Marchand died. But I think this series could never truly recover from her passing. Tony's mother was the anchor to this show's brilliance.
I disagree. She did an awesome job, especially in Season 1, but she really wasn't in Season 2 that much, and that is arguably the best season of any television show ever. The fact that she and Tony had almost no interaction was a big reason why she wasn't as involved. That likely would have changed in Season 3, but it was not to be. Regardless, the show carried on being phenomenal, although the ducks and family arc thing kind of went by the wayside.

Ghost Rider said:
jdoggydogg said:
I'm sure this has been said before, but it's true:The Sopranos began a quick decline when Nancy Marchand died. The first two seasons of this show are probably my favorite of any in history. And yes, there were some really good episodes in the years after Marchand died. But I think this series could never truly recover from her passing. Tony's mother was the anchor to this show's brilliance.
I disagree. She did an awesome job, especially in Season 1, but she really wasn't in Season 2 that much, and that is arguably the best season of any television show ever. The fact that she and Tony had almost no interaction was a big reason why she wasn't as involved. That likely would have changed in Season 3, but it was not to be. Regardless, the show carried on being phenomenal, although the ducks and family arc thing kind of went by the wayside.
I think the show produced a bunch of phenomenal episodes, but I don't think the show produced another complete phenomenal season.

Ghost Rider said:
jdoggydogg said:
I think the show produced a bunch of phenomenal episodes, but I don't think the show produced another complete phenomenal season.
I think Seasons 3 and 5 were both phenomenal. Both had a pretty average episode in them ("...To Save Us All from Satan's Power" and "In Camelot"), but so did Season 1 ("A Hit Is a Hit").If you want to agree that the show was never as good as Season 2, which had Nancy Marchand, then, okay, I will agree with that, but like I said before, that is probably the greatest season of any television show ever. They would have had a hard time topping that, even if Marchand hadn't died.

Ghost Rider said:
jdoggydogg said:
I think Seasons 3 and 5 were both phenomenal. Both had a pretty average episode in them ("...To Save Us All from Satan's Power" and "In Camelot"), but so did Season 1 ("A Hit Is a Hit").If you want to agree that the show was never as good as Season 2, which had Nancy Marchand, then, okay, I will agree with that, but like I said before, that is probably the greatest season of any television show ever. They would have had a hard time topping that, even if Marchand hadn't died.
Agreed.

My roommate does almost every castmember of the Sopranos almost perfectly - Paulie, Tony, Chris, Uncle Junior to a tee.

He can also do almost any scene from Goodfellas almost to perfection.

I'll see if he'll let me record him and put it up for ya..

I've been thinking about Jackie Jr.

Tragic character?

Or simply an evil bastage?

It seemed like he had a good thing going. He was at Rutgers. He was dating Meadow. Tony watched out for him.

What pulled him to the dark side? His father's legacy? Something innate?

Jackie's big time mistake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lxk0PiYSqc

Jackie's Comeuppance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cusSbZqhdK0
He was a moron who wanted to be a gangster, but wasn't willing to pay his dues (and/or wasn't patient enough to make his way through the ranks like everyone else).Good riddance; he was an annoying character.

Jackie Jr. was an idiot, plain and simple. Plus, he had almost no respect (in the mafia world) and showed even less. Remember the episode where he had to meet Tony at lunch for a talk? The way he acted towards Tony when he first got there - saying he ain't hungry somewhat rudely, having to be told to take his sunglasses off, etc. - is not the way you treat the boss of a family you have designs of getting into. He was a moron.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackie Jr. was an idiot, plain and simple. Plus, he had almost no respect (in the mafia world) and showed even less. Remember the episode where he had to meet Tony at lunch for a talk? The way he acted towards Tony when he first got there - saying he ain't hungry somewhat rudely, having to be told to take his sunglasses off, etc. - is not the way you treat the boss of a family you have designs of getting into. He was a moron.
He wasn't trying to get into Tony's family. In his own words, "we're free agents."And he was pissed at T because he was convinced he whacked his Uncle Richie.

Eh, his free agents crack was more or less him and his buddy Dino's way of acting like they can do whatever they want without having to answer to anyone, but later asking Ralphie to watch their backs, asking Chrissy for a favor (letting his buddy deal at Ade's club...the look on Christopher's face when he says he would consider it a personal favor was priceless), and then pulling the card game stunt was a clear signal that he wanted in. He was just an idiot who had no idea how to go about it.

True, too, about Richie.

Eh, his free agents crack was more or less him and his buddy Dino's way of acting like they can do whatever they want without having to answer to anyone, but later asking Ralphie to watch their backs, asking Chrissy for a favor (letting his buddy deal at Ade's club...the look on Christopher's face when he says he would consider it a personal favor was priceless), and then pulling the card game stunt was a clear signal that he wanted in. He was just an idiot who had no idea how to go about it.

True, too, about Richie.
I'm laughing just thinking about it.

I'm gonna say some things, and I'm gonna use some bad words. And you're gonna have to listen.

Tony smacking Jackie Jr. around in the men's room of that strip club is one of my favorite moments of Season 3.

"All I did was tell your old man what a good kid you were, and all you do is ####### hurt me!"

Lady Gaga's 'Sopranos' Cameo Surfaces

Gaga's 2001 appearance on "The Sopranos" has shown up online. The episode, called "The Telltale Moozadell," is from the third season of the hit HBO show.

Mob boss Tony Soprano's son, A.J., is acting out while at the school pool with friends. Wearing a black top and jeans, Gaga is one of three girls hanging out, smoking cigarettes and watching the boys swim. One of A.J.'s friends then gets the idea to chuck a desk into the water. From there it's a free-for-all, as Gaga and her pals toss equipment and sports trophies into the pool. A.J. ends up getting probation. Gaga, alas, is never heard from again. The episode aired when the future superstar was just 15 years old.

Gaga's 2001 appearance on "The Sopranos" has shown up online. The episode, called "The Telltale Moozadell," is from the third season of the hit HBO show.

Mob boss Tony Soprano's son, A.J., is acting out while at the school pool with friends. Wearing a black top and jeans, Gaga is one of three girls hanging out, smoking cigarettes and watching the boys swim. One of A.J.'s friends then gets the idea to chuck a desk into the water. From there it's a free-for-all, as Gaga and her pals toss equipment and sports trophies into the pool. A.J. ends up getting probation. Gaga, alas, is never heard from again. The episode aired when the future superstar was just 15 years old.
Wow. No idea.

Interesting"My pizza never hurt nobody..."

I'm gonna say some things, and I'm gonna use some bad words. And you're gonna have to listen.
Too bad cuz I said lunch meat

The best part about A.J. getting in trouble for that is this exchange with Tony:

"And on your mother's birthday."

"Wait, it wasn't. It was after midnight."

"What, are you ####### stupid?"

:lmao:

"Richie Aprile's moving against you."

"He doesn't have the balls."

"He's got a legitimate beef. You ####### high-hand him with everyone."

"Why don't you stick to what you know, and leave your opinions wherever-the-####."

:wub:

Richie Abril...now that guy is a ####.

ETA:

I never had HBO while the Sopranos was in its heyday. I am just now making my way through via Netflix. Currently at Season 2, Episode 3.

Avoiding this thread like the plague.

Richie Abril...now that guy is a ####.ETA:I never had HBO while the Sopranos was in its heyday. I am just now making my way through via Netflix. Currently at Season 2, Episode 3.Avoiding this thread like the plague.
Have you gotten to the point yet where Richie clips Silvio and then persuades Paulie to join forces with him against Tony?

Anybody catch Detroit 187 tonight? Jerry Adler was a guest star.

For those unaware, Michael Imperioli is the lead in the show. "Chris and Hesh" had some cool scenes together again.

Wow. No idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmOeGAQOlPI...player_embedded

Richie Abril...now that guy is a ####.ETA:I never had HBO while the Sopranos was in its heyday. I am just now making my way through via Netflix. Currently at Season 2, Episode 3.Avoiding this thread like the plague.
It gets much better. Just wait until you get to season 6 when Tony gets whacked and AJ takes over the family.

The best part about A.J. getting in trouble for that is this exchange with Tony:"And on your mother's birthday." "Wait, it wasn't. It was after midnight.""What, are you ####### stupid?" :bag:
I loved the scene where Carmella catches AJ burning the weed out in the garage at the party for his Confirmation:Carmela: What kind of animal smokes marijuana at his own confirmation?A.J.: I don't know.Carmela: Be a good Catholic for fifteen [f-ing] minutes; is that so much to ask?!

RudiStein said:
The best part about A.J. getting in trouble for that is this exchange with Tony:"And on your mother's birthday." "Wait, it wasn't. It was after midnight.""What, are you ####### stupid?" :jawdrop:
I loved the scene where Carmella catches AJ burning the weed out in the garage at the party for his Confirmation:Carmela: What kind of animal smokes marijuana at his own confirmation?A.J.: I don't know.Carmela: Be a good Catholic for fifteen [f-ing] minutes; is that so much to ask?!
"Enough with the "I don't knows"!"

This is probably very old news but, oh well..

Per AVClub's "16 Unanswered TV Questions":

"(...)HBO spokesman Quentin Schaffer later confirmed that a scene from an earlier episode where Tony and brother-in-law Bobby Bacala talk about how "everything just goes black" when you're killed was a "legitimate hint" about the ending."

Call me crazy, but I read that as the most credible/obvious hint at what happened at the end. Tony got capped. :lmao:

Unless, well, I have no idea who this Quentin Schaffer fella is, but he sounds like he's someone important. Is he just some random HBO suit trying to stir up what he wants the ending to have been, perhaps?

This is probably very old news but, oh well..

Per AVClub's "16 Unanswered TV Questions":

"(...)HBO spokesman Quentin Schaffer later confirmed that a scene from an earlier episode where Tony and brother-in-law Bobby Bacala talk about how "everything just goes black" when you're killed was a "legitimate hint" about the ending."

Call me crazy, but I read that as the most credible/obvious hint at what happened at the end. Tony got capped. ;)

Unless, well, I have no idea who this Quentin Schaffer fella is, but he sounds like he's someone important. Is he just some random HBO suit trying to stir up what he wants the ending to have been, perhaps?
Pretty sure this was covered already and that in the Tony and Bobby convo he never said anything "went black".

I think it's open ended on purpose, we're not supposed to find "one true answer". There's a shot of the jukebox listings, right when Tony picks "Don't Stop Believin'", his other option on the card is another Journey single: "Any Way You Want It". That's as much a message to the viewer as anything Big ##### may or may not have said a season before.

Pretty sure this was covered already and that in the Tony and Bobby convo he never said anything "went black".
Yeah, it's definitely not new news, but in regards to the scene in question here's what Reuters said was said:Tony and his brother-in-law, Bobby Bacala, muse about what it feels like to die. "At the end, you probably don't hear anything, everything just goes black," Bobby says while they sit fishing in a small boat on a lake.At the end "everything just goes black". I dunno, he obviously left the ending up for interpretation but apparently that scene was relived in a flashback in the very last episode, so Chase obviously felt it was important to the ending of the series.

Yeah, it's definitely not new news, but in regards to the scene in question here's what Reuters said was said:Tony and his brother-in-law, Bobby Bacala, muse about what it feels like to die. "At the end, you probably don't hear anything, everything just goes black," Bobby says while they sit fishing in a small boat on a lake.

At the end "everything just goes black". I dunno, he obviously left the ending up for interpretation but apparently that scene was relived in a flashback in the very last episode, so Chase obviously felt it was important to the ending of the series.
Second to last episode

Bobby says, "You probably don't even hear it when it happens." He never says anything about it going black.

That aside, I think there is more than enough clues and evidence to indicate that Tony died at the end.

Watching From Where to Eternity today. Paulie is a riot.

"Hell is hot. That’s never been disputed by anybody." :lol:

Then he tells Christofuhhh he was in Purgatory, not Hell.

"A little detour on the way to paradise." ....

"You add up all your mortal sins and multiply that number by 50. Then you add up all your venial sins and multiply that by 25. You add them together and that's your sentence. I figure I'm gonna have to do about six thousand years before I get accepted into Heaven. And six thousand years is nothing in eternity terms. I could do that standing on my head. It's like a couple of days here."

:popcorn: :lmao:

"Hell is hot. That’s never been disputed by anybody." :(

"You add up all your mortal sins and multiply that number by 50. Then you add up all your venial sins and multiply that by 25. You add them together and that's your sentence. I figure I'm gonna have to do about six thousand years before I get accepted into Heaven. And six thousand years is nothing in eternity terms. I could do that standing on my head. It's like a couple of days here."

:kicksrock: :shrug:
Remember Pearl Harbor

Bobby says, "You probably don't even hear it when it happens." He never says anything about it going black. That aside, I think there is more than enough clues and evidence to indicate that Tony died at the end.
Yeah. The more time that passes and the more time I've had to think about it, the more certain I am that he was killed.

Watched the first 3 episodes last night for the first time. Big :goodposting: . Although I have hooked up my Blu-ray/DVD to my surround sound gaming headset and it could make a card board box with great music be riveting. The show is great so far, but the enhanced sound makes shows I have previously watched so much better. It kind of takes me away from feeling like I am watching a TV show, to being in the TV show. Sort of like a good book.

:thumbup: :lmao:
Remember Pearl Harbor
I DON'T WANNA SMELL YOUR PISS!!!

:hey: :hey:
Remember Pearl Harbor
I DON'T WANNA SMELL YOUR PISS!!!
Did Paulie have any lines when he was sniffing Ade's panties?

Users who are viewing this thread