What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (4 Viewers)

Watching From Where to Eternity today. Paulie is a riot.

"Hell is hot. That’s never been disputed by anybody." :lol:

Then he tells Christofuhhh he was in Purgatory, not Hell.

"A little detour on the way to paradise." ....

"You add up all your mortal sins and multiply that number by 50. Then you add up all your venial sins and multiply that by 25. You add them together and that's your sentence. I figure I'm gonna have to do about six thousand years before I get accepted into Heaven. And six thousand years is nothing in eternity terms. I could do that standing on my head. It's like a couple of days here."

:hey: :hey:
Remember Pearl Harbor
I DON'T WANNA SMELL YOUR PISS!!!
Did Paulie have any lines when he was sniffing Ade's panties?
"Mmmmm..... PISS!"

I'm surprised anyone would think Tony wasn't killed. For those who think that... or anyone who believes they can explain why someone would think that.. What's the alternative explanation? I mean... if he wasn't killed, what happened at the end?

Watched the first 3 episodes last night for the first time. Big :lol: . Although I have hooked up my Blu-ray/DVD to my surround sound gaming headset and it could make a card board box with great music be riveting. The show is great so far, but the enhanced sound makes shows I have previously watched so much better. It kind of takes me away from feeling like I am watching a TV show, to being in the TV show. Sort of like a good book.
:thumbup: :excited:

I wonder if Eric Mangini is sitting alone in a dark room, a bottle of Wild Turkey in one hand, the remote control in the other, rewinding this scene over and over--and wondering what the hell happened.

I'm surprised anyone would think Tony wasn't killed. For those who think that... or anyone who believes they can explain why someone would think that.. What's the alternative explanation? I mean... if he wasn't killed, what happened at the end?
The part that would trouble me with the "he was definitely killed" angle was that it would be so out of context for the whole series. Whenever there was a plot to kill Tony (or anyone major) we were in on it. There was a discussion/etc (as is the Mafia way). To just arbitrarily kill him at the end because "he's in the mafia" is way too cheap. There was just a major war, a peace was negotiated/etc. Yes, we could assume a high-level discussion could have taken place off camera, but again, that's a pretty cheap tactic given the "insiders view / we know what's going on" context of the series. I think he ended it like that for two reasons: to cause a buzz, and because "fade to black / happily ever after" just doesn't fit the show's context either. The abrupt ending, I felt, was excellent. In a perfect world, we wanted a definitive ending with Goodfellas style "where are they now" snippets. Instead, we got nothing. Maybe he dies violently (in the eatery or somewhere down the line) and maybe he doesn't. Maybe Silvio wakes up, maybe he doesn't. Etc. Make up your own ending. But I truly feel there's nothing definitive there.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wouldn't have been him arbitrarily getting killed. Butchie never liked Tony. From the exchange when Tony was leaving Phil's hospital room at the end of 6a, to him not even looking at Tony when he dismissed him and Carmine at Phil's front door, to him being totally behind Phil's decision to take out Tony, Silvio and Bobby, to his looks and attitude when they made peace, Butchie always had a major problem with Tony, and it is not out of the realm of possibility that he would have taken him out anyway. Given that Tony had taken out Phil, Butchie could have defended his move to whack Tony to the other families by saying it was retaliation after Tony struck first following their peace agreement. Granted, Butchie said, "I can't go there; but you do what you gotta do," but he could always talk his way out of that.

Bottom line: even if Tony wasn't killed (I believe he was), he was likely going to prison for a long time (Carlo knew enough to put him away), so his life as we knew it was over.

In the end, I feel Chase and the creators of the show forgot what made the show so popular in the first place. It's entertainment and the people that watch the show want to be entertained. To be honest, I didn't really care HOW the series ended, but I wanted to be shown AN ending. Let him be killed or not or go to jail or whatever. I don't want to create my own ending, I wanted to be shown how it ended, just as we saw it develop and grow over the years.

That article about following all the angles and perspectives of the characters...come on. Show all that stuff and then show me the guy in the jacket shoot Tony in front of his family. Show me their reactions and a bit of the aftermath. Whatever, show me something, that's why I watch the show!! I think he forgot that. Just my two cents

In the end, I feel Chase and the creators of the show forgot what made the show so popular in the first place. It's entertainment and the people that watch the show want to be entertained. To be honest, I didn't really care HOW the series ended, but I wanted to be shown AN ending. Let him be killed or not or go to jail or whatever. I don't want to create my own ending, I wanted to be shown how it ended, just as we saw it develop and grow over the years. That article about following all the angles and perspectives of the characters...come on. Show all that stuff and then show me the guy in the jacket shoot Tony in front of his family. Show me their reactions and a bit of the aftermath. Whatever, show me something, that's why I watch the show!! I think he forgot that. Just my two cents
:nerd: I agree with you. Give me something, its a freakin tv show, give me some closure.

The POV camera shots described in that article are the most compelling arguments showing intent of Chase to me. I never really thought he was dead, but just thinking about what goes in to creating camera shots like that, I believe Chase was likely intending what the guy writes in the article. I'm still not 100% though.

In the end, I feel Chase and the creators of the show forgot what made the show so popular in the first place. It's entertainment and the people that watch the show want to be entertained. To be honest, I didn't really care HOW the series ended, but I wanted to be shown AN ending. Let him be killed or not or go to jail or whatever. I don't want to create my own ending, I wanted to be shown how it ended, just as we saw it develop and grow over the years. That article about following all the angles and perspectives of the characters...come on. Show all that stuff and then show me the guy in the jacket shoot Tony in front of his family. Show me their reactions and a bit of the aftermath. Whatever, show me something, that's why I watch the show!! I think he forgot that. Just my two cents
:mellow: I agree with you. Give me something, its a freakin tv show, give me some closure.
:goodposting: Chase has been quoted as saying that "nothing definitive" is shown in the ending and the ending can be interpreted in different ways. While I've grown to appreciate the ending more than when I first saw it I still consider that to be a cop out. I don't need every little thing spelled out and shown but if you want to tell me Tony's dead then show me Tony being killed. That's at least an ending. It may suck and people may hate it but at least it's "definite" and not open to a variety of interpretations. Chase's own words betray the fact he did not come up with a conclusive ending that could not be open to any alternative interpretation. I've seen plenty of arguments both for and against Tony being dead. Many of them are compelling. But at the end of the day none of us should have to sit here and create the reasons why we think the ending is this or that. It should be told to us and then we are put in a position to decide whether the ending we were given was satisfactory. That is where I believe Chase failed. I wasn't hired to come up with what I believe happened to Tony Soprano at the end of the series. That was David Chase's job and I believe he failed by going the ambiguous route. If Chase himself admits nothing definitive was shown in the ending I'm not sure how anyone can argue with a high degree of confidence that there was.

Another point and this is for authenticity of Mob life....very unlikely a guy gets whacked sitting at a table in a restaurant with his wife and children. There are usually certain codes of conduct, believe it or not, that these guy do take seriously....at least the old school guys.

Another point and this is for authenticity of Mob life....very unlikely a guy gets whacked sitting at a table in a restaurant with his wife and children. There are usually certain codes of conduct, believe it or not, that these guy do take seriously....at least the old school guys.
True, but Phil was killed in front of his wife and grandchildren.

The ending is like looking up at the clouds, you see unicorns, Fred a bear and me well I only see freaking clouds. Maybe Chase meant something maybe he meant nothing, unless he comes out and says it it's all just speculation, guessing and conspiracy theories. Imagine if all the writers just got right hammered and decided to do an ending that they knew would just screw with us, the whole "This will have em talkin fer years" kinda ending(It's Jan 7/11 when did the season finale air??? We're still debating it.)

True, but Phil was killed in front of his wife and grandchildren.
There goes that angle

Re-watching Season 2. Tony dropping Janice off at the bus station for her to go back to Seattle after she pops Richie:

"All in all though I'd say it was a pretty good visit." :shrug: :lmao:

It's a good ending. 4 years later, people are still talking about it.
For better or for worse though?I've been over it a million times in my head. I think the best explanation is that for the last few minutes, Chase gave the viewers an intense glimpse of how it feels to be in Tony Sopranos mind. The uneasiness, the paranoia, the edge of your seat feeling... never really knowing what's next. It's kind of brilliant from my pov.

Commendatori is on A&E right now.

"And you thought the Germans were classless pieces of ####!" :goodposting:
love that episode....Pauly talking about the food when Tony is trying to conduct business :goodposting: btw, was that Italian bird (the boss or whatever) the same girl that he had had illusions of in his neighbor's backyard (when he was on meds)? It's been a minute.

btw, was that Italian bird the same girl that he had had illusions of in his neighbor's backyard (when he was on meds)?
No.Maria Grazia Cucinotta played Isabella, the dental student.Sofia Milos was the mob boss in Italy.
I didn't think so....they're both really hawt though. Was it ever revealed if Tony's Mom was faking it or really sick/Alzheimers?

Currently watching this series for the first time via Netflix. I'm on Season 3: Episode 5.

I'll have to come back and reread this thread once I finish the series.

I'm 99.9% sure the answer to this question is "YES"... but just to make sure:

When Feech was on the bus ride back to prison, he knew that Tony had just set him up, right?

I'm 99.9% sure the answer to this question is "YES"... but just to make sure:When Feech was on the bus ride back to prison, he knew that Tony had just set him up, right?
Feech knew unquestionably.I mentioned this much earlier in this thread, but having Frank Vincent as the end game to the series was an awful decision. The man cannot act.Robert Loggia (Feech) would have been a perfect actor as the old-time NY boss.

When Feech was on the bus ride back to prison, he knew that Tony had just set him up, right?
Feech knew unquestionably.I mentioned this much earlier in this thread, but having Frank Vincent as the end game to the series was an awful decision. The man cannot act.

Robert Loggia (Feech) would have been a perfect actor as the old-time NY boss.
The more I watch the series over and over (and over again for the 500th time), I really have no problem with Vincent.He's no Daniel Day-Lewis, sure, but he did what he had to do adequately.

Yes, Feech knew. The look on his face said it all, too, as he knew he had messed it up by not taking Tony seriously as the boss.

I never got the impression that Feech knew. It would have seemed like a pretty underhanded way for Tony to handle things.

I'm 99.9% sure the answer to this question is "YES"... but just to make sure:When Feech was on the bus ride back to prison, he knew that Tony had just set him up, right?
I think he knew. But the character was pretty clueless about a lot of things....so I don't think it's a stretch to say he didn't think that Tony set him up.

I still think it was rather obvious. Chris and Benny stash some stuff from an illegal hijacking in his garage, and then his garage specifically gets searched out of the blue days later? Come on.

I still think it was rather obvious. Chris and Benny stash some stuff from an illegal hijacking in his garage, and then his garage specifically gets searched out of the blue days later? Come on.
ThisYou can tell he kind of figured it out when he realized this new parole officer wanted in that garage.

I was watching "What would you do?", a hidden camera show on ABC on fridays. Last Friday they set up thier cameras in the restaurant where they filmed the final scene of the series. Can't remember the name but I think it was in Bloomfield NJ. Pretty cool and really looked exactly the same as the final scene.

Because doing underhanded things was beneath Tony? :lol:
Of course not, but it'd be a pretty obvious slap in the face to a made guy. I don't think he would be that blatantly disrespectful.
Well, the other option was to whack him. IIRC, Silvio told Tony he made the right decision, referring to him setting Feech up rather than killing him. So Tony "handled" Feech in the most "respectful" manner.And the only reason this story line played out the way it did is because the actor who played Feech failed to memorize his lines, or he would of been a bigger part of the series.

On A&E right now.hurry... hurry... :popcorn:
Great episode....didn't AJ get his eyebrow's shaved as well?? sweet Vulcan :lmao:
"Poppers and weird sex!"
Because doing underhanded things was beneath Tony? :lol:
Of course not, but it'd be a pretty obvious slap in the face to a made guy. I don't think he would be that blatantly disrespectful.
Well, the other option was to whack him. IIRC, Silvio told Tony he made the right decision, referring to him setting Feech up rather than killing him. So Tony "handled" Feech in the most "respectful" manner.
Exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread