What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (3 Viewers)

Did anyone notice the two red dots that show up on Tony as he enters the diner? One is on his gut where junior shot him and the other is near his temple where he could have been shot by the guy coming out of the bathroom.

You people claiming Tony is alive consider this:

In the diner, he orders from the menu Famous Onion Rings With "Tony Isn't Dead" Sauce.

I have to assume that Chase has/had at least a rough draft of the future and fate of Tony Soprano; be it ending that night in the diner, him dying at 85, retired in Boca or at any number of points in between. He knows......and while I get the idea that people think that the ending his symbolic of Tony continuing his family life and career all the while looking over his shoulder as the "stereotypes" of whom he has screwed over swarm around him in the diner.....I just don't see how that abrupt ending jibes with this. Isn't that sudden ending the sticking point? Would anyone think that Tony was shot if the camera panned out of the diner into the street? Would anyone think that Tony wasn't shot if the camera nailed a close up of a determined look on Members Only's face as he exited the bathroom? It's the ending....the last second. So to me, there's only two reasons to do it that way.....

1) to symbolize what Tony and Bobby talked about in regards to death as Tony is getting plugged by Members Only.

2) Chase is a #### and he doesn't want to commit.

I disagree. It's a stroke of genius to have a season with so many absolutes end with the biggest fish left undetermined.

Somewhat forgotten is the fact the Chase may not even have an answer to the question, "Is Tony dead?" I understand the need for closure - that's expected. But Chase is smart enough to know that the answer to this question is just like the random nature of an aloof universe: unsure and ultimately lonely.
In my opinion, the ending is intentionally left open to personal interpretation. It's literally written on the screen in the scene itself. When Tony is picking the song to play on the tabletop jukebox, there's a closeup of the selections... he picks Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'"... however, the other song paired on the jukebox card is Journey's "Any Way You Want It". It's a pretty tight shot and it stays on the screen for more than just a brief moment. That kind of thing is absolutely done on purpose.
There are so many clues in that final scene/final season that he's killed i don't know how it could be thought Chase left it open to interpretation. What other interpretation could there be?
These things you call clues could just as well be red herrings.
Good lord. I assume I'm being fished?
I'm not trolling, fishing, inciting, or any other synonym for those things.

There are long, painstakingly-written explanations that "prove" Tony is dead. I'm supposed to take these theories as fact? This is like saying the earth is 6,000 years old because it's in the bible.
Yeah, all these explanations that "prove" Tony was killed sound a lot like the explanations that the briefcase in Pulp Fiction really contained Marcellus Wallace's soul. I don't find many of them convincing enough to become canon. I generally equate them to the fan theories that "James Bond" is an alias or Ferris Bueller is a figment of Cameron's imagination or Neville Longbottom is the true hero of the Harry Potter stories.
What do you want though....Butchie cackling, back slapping Members Only while looking over a Rube Goldberg style machine blueprint labeled " How to Kill Tony Soprano"? There's at least a couple of times (Carmine "ordering" the hit on Johnny Sack) in this show where it's what's NOT said that's more important than what is said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blogger made a good point, with chase killing Tony off in ths manor it insured no leaks of the finale getting out. He basically killed him in the editing room.

It was the Russian that killed Tony, ya THAT Russian. He finally wandered out of the freakin woods and he stopped for the rings. I gotta ask why is everyone pointing out facts that Tony is dead? Someone come up with a compelling "Alive" argument. BTW Pine Barrens is on Ch 599 right now.

Blogger made a good point, with chase killing Tony off in ths manor it insured no leaks of the finale getting out. He basically killed him in the editing room.
While also leaving himself an out in the event that they want to make a "Sopranos" movie down the road a ways and not have it be a prequel.

It was the Russian that killed Tony, ya THAT Russian. He finally wandered out of the freakin woods and he stopped for the rings. I gotta ask why is everyone pointing out facts that Tony is dead? Someone come up with a compelling "Alive" argument. BTW Pine Barrens is on Ch 599 right now.
Top 5 favorite episode, but I still hate the way his footprints just STOPPED with no body. Short of carrying a Bat-a-rang and having the ability to fly from tree to tree, this is physically impossible.

While also leaving himself an out in the event that they want to make a "Sopranos" movie down the road a ways and not have it be a prequel.
I doubt there's a movie. Tony dead or alive, there isn't much story left to tell. It would have to be a totally new set of circumstances. The black meant "The End" it's just whether it was the end of Tony Soprano or the Sopranos alone.

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Evilgrin 72 said:
I doubt there's a movie. Tony dead or alive, there isn't much story left to tell. It would have to be a totally new set of circumstances. The black meant "The End" it's just whether it was the end of Tony Soprano or the Sopranos alone.
Leeroy Jenkins said:
Evilgrin 72 said:
IIRC, there's a lot of time between seasons that isn't accounted for. Maybe they'd run a movie during this timeframe?......

William Munny said:
Love to see a prequel movie. Tony and Jackie making their way up the ranks, meeting and courting Carmella, etc...
If they did this right I would love it too.

Seeing guys like Paulie and Uncle Junior back in the 70s and 80s would be great.

William Munny said:
Love to see a prequel movie. Tony and Jackie making their way up the ranks, meeting and courting Carmella, etc...
That would be cool, but they wouldn't be able to use the actors from the show, right? I mean, CGI isn't that good. :lol: Edie Falco and Gandolfini playing the 17 year old versions of their characters...

I don't know if on the microscopic chance they decided to do a movie that a studio would greenlight it without Falco, Gandolfini, Sirico, etc.. being involved.

William Munny said:
That would be cool, but they wouldn't be able to use the actors from the show, right? I mean, CGI isn't that good. :lol: Edie Falco and Gandolfini playing the 17 year old versions of their characters...

I don't know if on the microscopic chance they decided to do a movie that a studio would greenlight it without Falco, Gandolfini, Sirico, etc.. being involved.
Yeah....I'd imagine they'd want the A-List Sopranos crew ( Christopah, Sil, ####,) as opposed to the ham n eggers that would be in a true sequel.

William Munny said:

Yeah....I'd imagine they'd want the A-List Sopranos crew ( Christopah, Sil, ####,) as opposed to the ham n eggers that would be in a true sequel.
I guess we could still have Silvio (he wasn't clinically dead, right?), Tony, Carmela, Meadow, AJ, Paulie, Carmine, Patsy, Butchie, Janice (ugh), maybe even Junior and Furio could come back - who else survived the show?

ETA : Hesh and Artie Bucco too.

William Munny said:

I guess we could still have Silvio (he wasn't clinically dead, right?), Tony, Carmela, Meadow, AJ, Paulie, Carmine, Patsy, Butchie, Janice (ugh), maybe even Junior and Furio could come back - who else survived the show?

Come on...that's like making a movie about the Four Horseman starring Paul Roma, Mongo McMichael, Sid Justice and Lex Lugar instead of Flair, Blanchard and Ole and Arn Anderson.

They'd need the top dogs of the Soprano Family....not Vinny Delpino and Little Paulie.

I'd love to see the prequel just so they could have a conversation like this:

Jackie: Tony, you keep this up, you'll end up dead in a restaurant someday.

Tony: Nah, I'm going to live forever.

William Munny said:

Come on...that's like making a movie about the Four Horseman starring Paul Roma, Mongo McMichael, Sid Justice and Lex Lugar instead of Flair, Blanchard and Ole and Arn Anderson.

They'd need the top dogs of the Soprano Family....not Vinny Delpino and Little Paulie.
Who would they be missing that were major players throughout the series? Baccala, Christopher - who else? Most of the other characters came and went - Big ####, Adrianna, Ralph, Tony B, The Apriles, etc...all got killed off and the show moved on without them. They could always introduce some new antagonists to complement what's left. Not saying it's a great idea, but it could definitely be done.

William Munny said:

Who would they be missing that were major players throughout the series? Baccala, Christopher - who else? Most of the other characters came and went - Big ####, Adrianna, Ralph, Tony B, The Apriles, etc...all got killed off and the show moved on without them. They could always introduce some new antagonists to complement what's left. Not saying it's a great idea, but it could definitely be done.
True....I just think that when one thinks of the Sopranos....they're thinking Tony, Big P, Paulie, Sil and Christopah as the definitive Sopranos lineup.

Kind of like Godfather. I'd have rather seen either a prequel of sorts for GFIII (the rise of VIto Corleone) instead of a new adventure for Michael Corleone with Richard Hamilton "style" characters.

I actually think the Sopranos suffered a bit from basically "templating" the same antagonist every year....(Richie/Ralphie/Feech/Tony Blundetto). To do that again for a movie...I don't know.

William Munny said:

True....I just think that when one thinks of the Sopranos....they're thinking Tony, Big P, Paulie, Sil and Christopah as the definitive Sopranos lineup.

Kind of like Godfather. I'd have rather seen either a prequel of sorts for GFIII (the rise of VIto Corleone) instead of a new adventure for Michael Corleone with Richard Hamilton "style" characters.

I actually think the Sopranos suffered a bit from basically "templating" the same antagonist every year....(Richie/Ralphie/Feech/Tony Blundetto). To do that again for a movie...I don't know.
Well, you could still have 3 of that 5 if Tony didn't get killed and Silvio pulls through. Big P died fairly early on, you only had 4 of those 5 for most of the series.

I do agree, though, I doubt there will ever be a movie. If there was, I think a prequel is a more interesting idea, I just don't see how they get a studio to back a Sopranos movie with NONE of the actors from the series in it. I don't know if a movie bridging the gap between two seasons of the show works because there's very little suspense - the moviegoer already knows going in who is/isn't going to survive and how any storylines they introduce are ultimately going to play out.

Would someone please explain the love for the Pine Barrens? Watched it again last night(as I was poking fun about a few posts ago)and it was good but what makes it special?

William Munny said:
Yeah, Carmela begging Tony for sex in the back parking lot of Pizza World following his beatdown of Dominic Tedesco would make for great TV.

But I asked Chase last night about his future plans at the Not Fade Away after party at Brasserie 8 1/2. What about a Sopranos movie, I asked. No, unh uh, he said, shaking his head, and his wife even agreed. I did try to slip inthose people are deadbut Chase refuses to say what happened to Tony, Carmella, Meadow and AJ.

He did tell me that theres been talk at HBO of a Sopranos prequel. It would be with Tonys father, and Uncle Junior, and LiviaTonys mother long before any of the other characters we know now. Great idea. But Chase has some other ideas. He has a series in mind with HBO about the silent film era. He also would like to make a psychological thriller. At 67, Chase is a newcomer to films, but a welcome one.

Young Tony = Daniel Day Lewis

Young Carmella = Snooki

Younger Paulie = Will Ferrell

Younger Silvio = Shia LaBoof

Younger Corrado = Ryan Gosling

1. Whose voice was that as Tony's wife during the Kevin Finnerty near death experience? Adrianna? Artie Buco's wife?

2. Was that heaven or hell that Tony was close to entering before waking up?

I don't think there were many terrible episodes from start to finish, but there were certainly slow/boring/uninteresting segments in each episode. I tend to skip almost every therapy session scene with Melfi, for instance. And AJ's whining in the later episodes were almost unbearable. As if that snot-nosed loser would have ANY shot with Dania Ramirez in the first place.

But the "mob action" has held up well over time. All of the scenes at the Bing, Tony garroting Febby Petrulio, Christufah mugging Lauren Bacall, Richie being fantastically combative with everyone, and Paulie doing.... anything.

Let me rephrase: I hate the characters. The show is borderline brilliance but it has illicited a true reaction from me. Carm, AJ, Med, Jan, Bobby, all the wives and goomah's just about every one but Tony and Chris.

Let me rephrase: I hate the characters. The show is borderline brilliance but it has illicited a true reaction from me. Carm, AJ, Med, Jan, Bobby, all the wives and goomah's just about every one but Tony and Chris.
Do you think much of that is intentional? In other words, we are supposed to despise most of these people?

Or do you have a problem with the actors who play those characters?

Do you think much of that is intentional? In other words, we are supposed to despise most of these people?

I know it's intentional. The only one I could see being a donk is AJ but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say it is brilliant acting.

I do hate JR. I think he's not nearly the hard ### he needed to be, unless you count the young JR in the flashbacks who is a badass.

Silvio is likeable but Paulie is a wimp. The one problem I saw with most of the mobsters was the lack of viciousness they had most of the time. The best way to describe it would be compare the crews in The Sopranos to Casino or Goodfellows.

I know it's intentional. The only one I could see being a donk is AJ but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say it is brilliant acting.

I do hate JR. I think he's not nearly the hard ### he needed to be, unless you count the young JR in the flashbacks who is a badass.

Silvio is likeable but Paulie is a wimp. The one problem I saw with most of the mobsters was the lack of viciousness they had most of the time. The best way to describe it would be compare the crews in The Sopranos to Casino or Goodfellows.
I hated that Goodfellows crew... the way they extended their pinkies when drinking tea.

The one problem I saw with most of the mobsters was the lack of viciousness they had most of the time. The best way to describe it would be compare the crews in The Sopranos to Casino or Goodfellows.
That's an unfair comparison considering most of the time we saw Nicky's crew working in Casino, they were killing people or beating the hell out of someone. And a film like Casino was focused more on the violence and out-of-control nature of Nicky than The Sopranos, which was more centered around Tony Soprano's crew, family and his internal problems. The Sopranos was a show about a mob guy, but we rarely saw acts of extreme violence by anyone (even the hits were usually very brief).

Plus, the crews in both Scorsese films had very few redeeming characteristics as shown to us. Meanwhile, Tony's crew, despite the nature of what they do, came off as fairly likable early on, but slowly became unlikable over time. They didn't bludgeon you over the head with their violence acts on screen for the sake of shock value or to demonstrate how they handled their business with two-minute "let's show the crew killing random people in several random scenes" montages.

The one problem I saw with most of the mobsters was the lack of viciousness they had most of the time. The best way to describe it would be compare the crews in The Sopranos to Casino or Goodfellows.
That's an unfair comparison considering most of the time we saw Nicky's crew working in Casino, they were killing people or beating the hell out of someone. And a film like Casino was focused more on the violence and out-of-control nature of Nicky than The Sopranos, which was more centered around Tony Soprano's crew, family and his internal problems. The Sopranos was a show about a mob guy, but we rarely saw acts of extreme violence by anyone (even the hits were usually very brief).

Plus, the crews in both Scorsese films had very few redeeming characteristics as shown to us. Meanwhile, Tony's crew, despite the nature of what they do, came off as fairly likable early on, but slowly became unlikable over time. They didn't bludgeon you over the head with their violence acts on screen for the sake of shock value or to demonstrate how they handled their business with two-minute "let's show the crew killing random people in several random scenes" montages.
I don't disagree with your points but I still think mine hold validity as well.

Gotta love Albert "The Parrot" Barese.

"He's in no position to go into the unknown not knowing."

"Imagine... gettin' a facelift, and one week later you're in jail."
"Can you imagine that? You get a facelift and one week later you're in jail?"

:lmao:

The look on Richie's face after that comment is priceless.

Ally Boy isn't on Little Carmine's level of stupid, but then again... who is?

Skip, to FBI Chief Cubitoso: "Sure, Sal was a little jittery when we ran into Jimmy Bones at the party store. And yeah, he was afraid that Jimmy figured out he was cooperating. But he couldn't POSSIBLY have been the one who bashed in Jimmy's skull the very next day."

Users who are viewing this thread