What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Deadliest Catch Thread! (1 Viewer)

Seems like they're spending more time with each boat versus jumping around a lot. No?Still can't stand Wizard Cap. He's such a blowhard. But he always is tops in crab. I know he has the biggest boat and probably makes his guys some money but I couldn't work for him or his brother.Do you guys think Edgar is outta there or this is just a flare-up that will go away? I don't think he's going anywhere.I like the Kodiak cap but he definitely has to get warmed up again.
I think Edgar was missing his family pretty bad. Wasn't there something where he and his wife went through some trouble with him away working...? He was probably sick of working, sick of dealing with his brother and was having one of those moments where you ask yourself WTF you are doing. We'll see if he still feels that way when the paycheck comes.

Seems like they're spending more time with each boat versus jumping around a lot. No?Still can't stand Wizard Cap. He's such a blowhard. But he always is tops in crab. I know he has the biggest boat and probably makes his guys some money but I couldn't work for him or his brother.Do you guys think Edgar is outta there or this is just a flare-up that will go away? I don't think he's going anywhere.I like the Kodiak cap but he definitely has to get warmed up again.
I think Edgar was missing his family pretty bad. Wasn't there something where he and his wife went through some trouble with him away working...? He was probably sick of working, sick of dealing with his brother and was having one of those moments where you ask yourself WTF you are doing. We'll see if he still feels that way when the paycheck comes.
From the few glimpses I've seen his wife is good-looking and his family is young. Being away from your marriage/family for long periods of time is never a good thing.

From the few glimpses I've seen his wife is good-looking and his family is young. Being away from your marriage/family for long periods of time is never a good thing.
Well, he has had at least one kid born while he was onboard, maybe 2 if my memory is correct. I don't blame him.But, Edgar is BY FAR my favorite character on the show. I think he has a great relationship with his brother, and he just seems like a guy I could hang out with.

I know they edit the crap out of these things but I didn't like Jake talking about being such a slave on the Northwestern.

I know they edit the crap out of these things but I didn't like Jake talking about being such a slave on the Northwestern.
This season has been very odd for him. Last season they cast him as the good kid who tries hard, to a little ##### that annoys everyone. When his sister passed away, it looked like everyone on that boat genuinely felt for him.

Well, he has had at least one kid born while he was onboard, maybe 2 if my memory is correct. I don't blame him.But, Edgar is BY FAR my favorite character on the show. I think he has a great relationship with his brother, and he just seems like a guy I could hang out with.
I wonder if some of the footage with Edgar was filmed after Capt Phill died. I'm sure that has a lot of the guys re-thinking their priorities.

For those of you on Facebook, you can watch Captain Phil's memorial service here.

ETA - tonight at 6 PST/9 EST

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok you go get in the water in 10 foot seas, wait for about ten minutes and the other boat will pick you up with the hook. Umm no that's okay I'll just wait until we get back to the docks. Seriously WTF that looked dangerous. And what about their duffle bags. How'd they get transferred without getting wet.

Ok you go get in the water in 10 foot seas, wait for about ten minutes and the other boat will pick you up with the hook. Umm no that's okay I'll just wait until we get back to the docks. Seriously WTF that looked dangerous. And what about their duffle bags. How'd they get transferred without getting wet.
It was all for show, you could tell when Jake Anderson got aboard that he was never in any serious danger. They just edited it to look harrowing.

It's funny that everyone says Captain Keith deserved the Hillstrand push down...I tuned in just at the point of the confrontation and it looked like the Hillstrands (or the one brother) were the bully. Without the intro it looked completely one-side the other way.
I know I'm late to this...But Johnathan had what seemed like a legitimate beef with Keith. It didn't get physical until Keith started yelling at him like he was Monty. Keith's a bully, plain and simple. I can't imagine yelling at another grown man like that without it being a prelude to a fight. But Keith seemed genuinely surprised that Johnathan shoved him. How in the world can that be? Imagine doing that to a grown man irl and not having the guy take a swing at you. And check Keith's body language post-shove: shoulders turned, chin tucked, eyes down. He knew he was wrong. And he was thanking the Lord that Phil commanded enough respect to keep Johnathan at bay. Notice that the big mouth "suckerpunch Hillstrand" stuff didn't begin in eanest until Phil was there. He wanted nothing of Johnathan. That one little shove put him in his place. On the Wizard, he gets to be the bully because of the finances of it and the way of things. But irl, when you get in a grown man's space that aggressively, there are going to be repurcussions. Besides, #######, it wasn't a sucker punch; it was a direct reaction to your action. And Johnathan did it while looking you in the eye. Captains talking to guys in the bar = rationalization after the fact. The explanation of the string of pots on the video screen last year = rationalization. He's an inconsiderate lout and a bully; that's probably saying a lot by the standards of those guys. None of them are likely experts on what little fork to use at what stage of a white-napkin meal. Someone else said it in the thread: this has been building based off of what seem to be legitimate transgressions instigated soley by Keith. But I can see your point; having tuned in only at the confrontation, it could certainly appear that Johnathan was the instigator. But I don't think that the sentiment of it was staged. Maybe the execution; Johnathan could have take it up with him off-camera. But, on the other hand, Johnathan doesn't seem like the "gone Hollywood" type. If there was any staging; it was to Keith's benefit, imo. Sans cameras, I think the Wizard starts the season late waiting for Keith to be released from the hospital.

I'm sure it was mainly done for the show.. :shrug:But at the same time, as I explained to my wife, they need to practice these types of maneuvers in case they ever have to really rescue someone.. Now, I'd rather do that near port in calm weather, but :goodposting: that's just me..

I'm sure it was mainly done for the show.. :loco:But at the same time, as I explained to my wife, they need to practice these types of maneuvers in case they ever have to really rescue someone.. Now, I'd rather do that near port in calm weather, but :thumbdown: that's just me..
Yeah, that was incredibly staged. Especially since they somehow managed to switch luggage from boat to boat (and it wasn't in the water with them) So if they could get close enough to toss the bags from boat to boat, I'd think they'd be close enough to use the cranes to transfer people.

I'm sure it was mainly done for the show.. :loco: But at the same time, as I explained to my wife, they need to practice these types of maneuvers in case they ever have to really rescue someone..

Now, I'd rather do that near port in calm weather, but :lmao: that's just me..
Yeah, that was incredibly staged. Especially since they somehow managed to switch luggage from boat to boat (and it wasn't in the water with them) So if they could get close enough to toss the bags from boat to boat, I'd think they'd be close enough to use the cranes to transfer people.
They did? If so why was Jake Harris #####ing about not having any rain gear?

I'm sure it was mainly done for the show.. :loco: But at the same time, as I explained to my wife, they need to practice these types of maneuvers in case they ever have to really rescue someone..

Now, I'd rather do that near port in calm weather, but :lmao: that's just me..
They did? If so why was Jake Harris #####ing about not having any rain gear?
Both Jakes were told to pack before switching boats, and it seems very unlikely they'd be forced to finish out the season with only the clothes on their back.

It's funny that everyone says Captain Keith deserved the Hillstrand push down...

I tuned in just at the point of the confrontation and it looked like the Hillstrands (or the one brother) were the bully. Without the intro it looked completely one-side the other way.
I know I'm late to this...But Johnathan had what seemed like a legitimate beef with Keith. It didn't get physical until Keith started yelling at him like he was Monty.

Keith's a bully, plain and simple. I can't imagine yelling at another grown man like that without it being a prelude to a fight. But Keith seemed genuinely surprised that Johnathan shoved him. How in the world can that be? Imagine doing that to a grown man irl and not having the guy take a swing at you.

And check Keith's body language post-shove: shoulders turned, chin tucked, eyes down. He knew he was wrong. And he was thanking the Lord that Phil commanded enough respect to keep Johnathan at bay. Notice that the big mouth "suckerpunch Hillstrand" stuff didn't begin in eanest until Phil was there. He wanted nothing of Johnathan. That one little shove put him in his place. On the Wizard, he gets to be the bully because of the finances of it and the way of things. But irl, when you get in a grown man's space that aggressively, there are going to be repurcussions. Besides, #######, it wasn't a sucker punch; it was a direct reaction to your action. And Johnathan did it while looking you in the eye.

Captains talking to guys in the bar = rationalization after the fact. The explanation of the string of pots on the video screen last year = rationalization. He's an inconsiderate lout and a bully; that's probably saying a lot by the standards of those guys. None of them are likely experts on what little fork to use at what stage of a white-napkin meal. Someone else said it in the thread: this has been building based off of what seem to be legitimate transgressions instigated soley by Keith. But I can see your point; having tuned in only at the confrontation, it could certainly appear that Johnathan was the instigator.

But I don't think that the sentiment of it was staged. Maybe the execution; Johnathan could have take it up with him off-camera. But, on the other hand, Johnathan doesn't seem like the "gone Hollywood" type. If there was any staging; it was to Keith's benefit, imo. Sans cameras, I think the Wizard starts the season late waiting for Keith to be released from the hospital.
Did you miss the comment by Johnathan about Keith almost killing his brother? Keith is a punk, but his yelling was not unprovoked.

It was all for show, you could tell when Jake Anderson got aboard that he was never in any serious danger. They just edited it to look harrowing.
Ya, my wife was freaking out and I'm like chill baby.

whoa

whoa
Pick had a triple posting which he since deleted.

There was an uncomfortable moment on Tuesday night when Jake Harris was pissed about not having his gear on his boat that he said that he doubted he would be back on his dad's boat next year. :confused:

BigJohn said:
Heavy B said:
It's funny that everyone says Captain Keith deserved the Hillstrand push down...

I tuned in just at the point of the confrontation and it looked like the Hillstrands (or the one brother) were the bully. Without the intro it looked completely one-side the other way.
I know I'm late to this...But Johnathan had what seemed like a legitimate beef with Keith. It didn't get physical until Keith started yelling at him like he was Monty.

Keith's a bully, plain and simple. I can't imagine yelling at another grown man like that without it being a prelude to a fight. But Keith seemed genuinely surprised that Johnathan shoved him. How in the world can that be? Imagine doing that to a grown man irl and not having the guy take a swing at you.

And check Keith's body language post-shove: shoulders turned, chin tucked, eyes down. He knew he was wrong. And he was thanking the Lord that Phil commanded enough respect to keep Johnathan at bay. Notice that the big mouth "suckerpunch Hillstrand" stuff didn't begin in eanest until Phil was there. He wanted nothing of Johnathan. That one little shove put him in his place. On the Wizard, he gets to be the bully because of the finances of it and the way of things. But irl, when you get in a grown man's space that aggressively, there are going to be repurcussions. Besides, #######, it wasn't a sucker punch; it was a direct reaction to your action. And Johnathan did it while looking you in the eye.

Captains talking to guys in the bar = rationalization after the fact. The explanation of the string of pots on the video screen last year = rationalization. He's an inconsiderate lout and a bully; that's probably saying a lot by the standards of those guys. None of them are likely experts on what little fork to use at what stage of a white-napkin meal. Someone else said it in the thread: this has been building based off of what seem to be legitimate transgressions instigated soley by Keith. But I can see your point; having tuned in only at the confrontation, it could certainly appear that Johnathan was the instigator.

But I don't think that the sentiment of it was staged. Maybe the execution; Johnathan could have take it up with him off-camera. But, on the other hand, Johnathan doesn't seem like the "gone Hollywood" type. If there was any staging; it was to Keith's benefit, imo. Sans cameras, I think the Wizard starts the season late waiting for Keith to be released from the hospital.
Did you miss the comment by Johnathan about Keith almost killing his brother? Keith is a punk, but his yelling was not unprovoked.
When the guys on the Time Bandit were checking out the rainbow. One of them said something about how Keith likes Walruses, and the Time Bandit likes rainbows.

So whoever said that must have crabbed on The Wizard before.

BigJohn said:
Heavy B said:

No. I didn't miss it. But I hadn't considered it when I wrote the above post. Not sure how I feel about that. Keith made a very poor decision. I think that he really scared himself with that one. So I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that he carries that decision with him. We all carry around our near-misses. And they can be lead to emotional reactions.

If I read you correctly, I think you're inferring that Johnathan had a legitimate beef about the crew poaching. But that he went into personal territory w/ reminding Keith that his bad decision could have killed his brother. I suppose it was a gut response. Johnathan thought Keith was basically telling his crew: "The Time Bandit sucks. Why don't you work on a real boat?" Johnathan was very clear that he took it personally. So, rather than staying on point, he got a personal shot back in at Keith. He basically said: "No, YOUR boat sucks. Because YOU suck as a captain."

Then again, Keith is obligated to exercise some maturity and foresight; just like any other owner/manager. If I screw up, people lose money. But if he screws up, people can get hurt or worse. He made a bad decision to leave the dock with too many pots in dicey weather. Compounding that bad decision with the tarp idea might have been a bit less than optimal. But when it really sunk into his head just how bad the decision was; and the significance of the repurcussions; he about-faced and got his guys inside.

So, in this very long response (sorry); I agree that Johnathan escalated it first.

Still, Keith took it from the verbal to the "you're in my space; so bad things can happen." And I stick with the rest: If Phil and the cameras hadn't been there it would have been a very bad night for Keith.

BigJohn said:
Heavy B said:

No. I didn't miss it. But I hadn't considered it when I wrote the above post. Not sure how I feel about that. Keith made a very poor decision. I think that he really scared himself with that one. So I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that he carries that decision with him. We all carry around our near-misses. And they can be lead to emotional reactions.

If I read you correctly, I think you're inferring that Johnathan had a legitimate beef about the crew poaching. But that he went into personal territory w/ reminding Keith that his bad decision could have killed his brother. I suppose it was a gut response. Johnathan thought Keith was basically telling his crew: "The Time Bandit sucks. Why don't you work on a real boat?" Johnathan was very clear that he took it personally. So, rather than staying on point, he got a personal shot back in at Keith. He basically said: "No, YOUR boat sucks. Because YOU suck as a captain."

Then again, Keith is obligated to exercise some maturity and foresight; just like any other owner/manager. If I screw up, people lose money. But if he screws up, people can get hurt or worse. He made a bad decision to leave the dock with too many pots in dicey weather. Compounding that bad decision with the tarp idea might have been a bit less than optimal. But when it really sunk into his head just how bad the decision was; and the significance of the repurcussions; he about-faced and got his guys inside.

So, in this very long response (sorry); I agree that Johnathan escalated it first.

Still, Keith took it from the verbal to the "you're in my space; so bad things can happen." And I stick with the rest: If Phil and the cameras hadn't been there it would have been a very bad night for Keith.
:headbang:

BigJohn said:
Heavy B said:

When the guys on the Time Bandit were checking out the rainbow. One of them said something about how Keith likes Walruses, and the Time Bandit likes rainbows.

So whoever said that must have crabbed on The Wizard before.
Wasn't that featured prominently in an episode last season? I just figured it was a reference to that.

When the guys on the Time Bandit were checking out the rainbow. One of them said something about how Keith likes Walruses, and the Time Bandit likes rainbows. So whoever said that must have crabbed on The Wizard before.
Or he watches Deadliest Catch. And it's not like it's some trade secret for the Wizard, it's just a good luck sign for Keith. Very likely Keith would mention that in casual conversation.

It's getting really eerie now watching everything that's going on aboard the Cornelia Marie knowing Phil is going to die soon. He mentioned once not knowing how long he will be around but that he has a special bond with Jake. Kind of freaky. I wonder how the boys will respond after Phil dies. They've been at each other's throats for a while now. Sad.

Sig is a slave-driver. Be a good boat to work for if you like money and the crew is good and competent. But man they work and grind their asses off. Also, that one guy that was heavy into drugs seems a lot more coherent and clean.

LOL at Time Bandit running into Wizard's pot. I could watch a whole season of just the Time Bandit.

Kodiak is just a mess. It looked like Kodiak cap had a microphone in the window in front of him and he was able to hear everything said on deck. Is that right?

I've always wondered which boat was the best equipped. Time Bandit just from watching the show.

Sig is a slave-driver. Be a good boat to work for if you like money and the crew is good and competent. But man they work and grind their asses off. Also, that one guy that was heavy into drugs seems a lot more coherent and clean.LOL at Time Bandit running into Wizard's pot. I could watch a whole season of just the Time Bandit.Kodiak is just a mess. It looked like Kodiak cap had a microphone in the window in front of him and he was able to hear everything said on deck. Is that right?
No, I think he has an open intercom system but it wasn't clear if they knew he could hear them like that. The Time Bandit is great, and they are going to really have to carry some of the weight if this thing keeps going.Phil has his issues at one of the crab offloads so it can't be too many episodes away now.

Sig is a slave-driver. Be a good boat to work for if you like money and the crew is good and competent. But man they work and grind their asses off. Also, that one guy that was heavy into drugs seems a lot more coherent and clean.LOL at Time Bandit running into Wizard's pot. I could watch a whole season of just the Time Bandit.Kodiak is just a mess. It looked like Kodiak cap had a microphone in the window in front of him and he was able to hear everything said on deck. Is that right?
No, I think he has an open intercom system but it wasn't clear if they knew he could hear them like that. The Time Bandit is great, and they are going to really have to carry some of the weight if this thing keeps going.Phil has his issues at one of the crab offloads so it can't be too many episodes away now.
Phil died at the end of Opi season which is like January/February. They're still in the late fall before Christmas.

The Kodiak is hurting at finding crab.

Whenever they show a close-up of the screen that shows where the strings are located, like the scene when the Time Bandit ran over the Wizards pot, the screen seems to indicate the name the boat who owns the pots and color codes the strings. I could be wrong, but I thought I saw "Wizard" labeling the string that was right on top of the Time Bandits string. If that's the case, why doesn't the captain of the Kodiak just find where some other successful boats are laying strings down and fish right there? Pride?

It almost seems that the Wizard just finds the Time Bandits stings and just fishes off them.

ericttspikes said:
The Kodiak is hurting at finding crab. Whenever they show a close-up of the screen that shows where the strings are located, like the scene when the Time Bandit ran over the Wizards pot, the screen seems to indicate the name the boat who owns the pots and color codes the strings. I could be wrong, but I thought I saw "Wizard" labeling the string that was right on top of the Time Bandits string. If that's the case, why doesn't the captain of the Kodiak just find where some other successful boats are laying strings down and fish right there? Pride? It almost seems that the Wizard just finds the Time Bandits stings and just fishes off them.
My impression is that season in and season out the Time Bandit finds the crab quick. Didn't they have the one year where they got done so quick they went vacationing with the captain of the Kodiak?Anyway, given that I think Wizard captain is a doosh I wouldn't put it past him to mooch crabbing spots from the Time Bandit. But maybe that's how it works. From looking at some of the screens it looks like these boats are all over each other with their strings.

ericttspikes said:

Whenever they show a close-up of the screen that shows where the strings are located, like the scene when the Time Bandit ran over the Wizards pot, the screen seems to indicate the name the boat who owns the pots and color codes the strings. I could be wrong, but I thought I saw "Wizard" labeling the string that was right on top of the Time Bandits string. If that's the case, why doesn't the captain of the Kodiak just find where some other successful boats are laying strings down and fish right there? Pride?

It almost seems that the Wizard just finds the Time Bandits stings and just fishes off them.
My impression is that season in and season out the Time Bandit finds the crab quick. Didn't they have the one year where they got done so quick they went vacationing with the captain of the Kodiak?

Anyway, given that I think Wizard captain is a doosh I wouldn't put it past him to mooch crabbing spots from the Time Bandit. But maybe that's how it works. From looking at some of the screens it looks like these boats are all over each other with their strings.
Last season Keith/Wizard got caught putting a string of pots right on top of another boats (CM I believe.) Gotta think that's his MO.Oh, and major :lmao: to the film crew on the Northwestern. The footage from the blue crab trip has been just awesome.

'Deadliest Catch' Fisherman Jailed for Three Robberies'Deadliest Catch' Fisherman Jailed for Three Robberies'Deadliest Catch' fisherman Joshua Tell Warner will serve nine-and-a-half years in prison for three Oregon bank robberies, the Register-Guard newspaper reports.Warner, 23, hit a Washington Mutual Bank in Eugene, Ore., on Oct. 19, 2007, just before boarding a boat for Discovery Channel's crab fishing reality series. Warner's lawyer said his client was "strung out" on OxyContin surrounding the three robberies, adding he had a tough childhood as a "throwaway kid" of a policeman who lapsed into alcoholism.In the trial, Lane County Deputy District Attorney Chris Parosa read two letters from tellers recounting Warner's robberies, saying Warner passed them notes warning they'd be murdered if they didn't comply. One teller wrote that Warner stole her "ability to easily trust another human being." Another said she harbors "a flutter of anxiety every time a non-client enters the bank."To me, this is a tragedy," Warner's attorney, John Kolego, said in court Wednesday. "It's a tragedy what he's done to the [bank] tellers, and it's a tragedy what he's done to his own life."Warner apologized to the bank tellers in attendance, calling his behavior "desperate" and saying, "I know there's no reason that justifies a threat on a person's life for money. No person deserves such distress."Warner's appearance on 'Deadliest Catch' led to his arrest in January -- viewers called police after recognizing Warner on television, identifying him as a suspect in the robberies. Warner was picked up at a traffic stop in Illinois, extradited to his native Oregon and has remained in jail since.Warner has no prior adult criminal record in Oregon, the Register-Guard reports.This news comes less than one week after 'Deadliest Catch' production manager Matthew Schneider, 22, "bragged about his ability to deliver cocaine to the Alaska fishing town of Unalaska," according to an AP report. Schneider now faces felony drug charges.

Sig is just a great fisherman, but I agree he runs his crew ragged. He has one of the smaller boats but is always up at or near the top of the crab count.

'Deadliest Catch' Fisherman Jailed for Three Robberies

'Deadliest Catch' Fisherman Jailed for Three Robberies'Deadliest Catch' fisherman Joshua Tell Warner will serve nine-and-a-half years in prison for three Oregon bank robberies, the Register-Guard newspaper reports.
Barely remember the guy, I think he only went out for King and wasn't invited back for Opilo. He kinda sucked.
Yeah he was a greenhorn on the Wizard.

My impression is that season in and season out the Time Bandit finds the crab quick. Didn't they have the one year where they got done so quick they went vacationing with the captain of the Kodiak?

Anyway, given that I think Wizard captain is a doosh I wouldn't put it past him to mooch crabbing spots from the Time Bandit. But maybe that's how it works. From looking at some of the screens it looks like these boats are all over each other with their strings.
Last season Keith/Wizard got caught putting a string of pots right on top of another boats (CM I believe.) Gotta think that's his MO.Oh, and major :thumbup: to the film crew on the Northwestern. The footage from the blue crab trip has been just awesome.
Yeah, I hope we see more of that island they showed in the distance. That looked cool.

Sig is just a great fisherman, but I agree he runs his crew ragged. He has one of the smaller boats but is always up at or near the top of the crab count.
That stopped having meaning several years ago. Back during the derby days, that meant something. But then they went to rationalization where every boat got a quota. Some boats then sold their quota to other boats. So now, before each season, every boat basically determines how much they are going to catch by their quota + whatever additional quotas they buy.

Ouch

:unsure:

Still not thinking they're handling this as sensitively as they can with how it's being edited and presented, either.

Users who are viewing this thread