JZilla

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Nationals ongoing thread - 2017 TIDTY

4,471 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Adam Lind gonna replace Clint Robinson?

Yup.  I like this move a lot.  Good candidate for a bounceback season, excellent fit.

3 people like this

Just now, TobiasFunke said:

Yup.  I like this move a lot.  Good candidate for a bounceback season, excellent fit.

Yeah if Zimmerman struggles just platoon them (believe it when I see it) but much rather have lind than Clint as insurance. 

Heyman reporting that the Nats are close on Weiters. Seems like another good move.

The only knock on Wieters is his pitch framing. His health is always balky but with Castillo he'll only have to catch 100 games. I like this a lot 

26 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

The only knock on Wieters is his pitch framing. His health is always balky but with Castillo he'll only have to catch 100 games. I like this a lot 

I'm not sure who Castillo is referring to.  They've got Norris and Lobaton at catcher now.  I'm guessing they would get rid of one of those two (probably Lobaton).  

8 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

I'm not sure who Castillo is referring to.  They've got Norris and Lobaton at catcher now.  I'm guessing they would get rid of one of those two (probably Lobaton).  

I meant Norris, Castillo in bmore. 

Edited by Doctor Detroit

I had to go down to page 3 to find this thread.  I guess it's good to have a spring without much drama.

The only open question still seems to be closer.  Kelley would make the most sense, but they seem worried about his arm after the TJs.  And making Treinen the closer takes away his most valuable skill (getting DPs or groundball, non-sac fly outs) if they limit him to coming in with the bases clean in the 9th. So, I can see why reports have Glover in the lead, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

They gave up a lot to get Eaton but the trade improved their team for 2017.  Blanton, Wieters and Lind all seem like astute short-term pickups. 

It's a veteran team like Dusty prefers.  The big problem is depth if/when injuries strike because their best prospects are a long way from the majors.  I expect they'll give their in-house closer options a lot of rope because they don't have a lot of chips to trade for someone like David Robertson.

1 hour ago, Eephus said:

They gave up a lot to get Eaton but the trade improved their team for 2017.  Blanton, Wieters and Lind all seem like astute short-term pickups. 

:goodposting:A full season of Turner and a healthy Harper doesn't hurt either. I think this team is a good bit better than they were last year.

On 3/28/2017 at 11:48 AM, Don Quixote said:

The only open question still seems to be closer.  Kelley would make the most sense, but they seem worried about his arm after the TJs.  And making Treinen the closer takes away his most valuable skill (getting DPs or groundball, non-sac fly outs) if they limit him to coming in with the bases clean in the 9th. So, I can see why reports have Glover in the lead, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Welp, I guess I was wrong on this one. Treinen it is.

On 3/28/2017 at 2:08 PM, E-Z Glider said:

:goodposting:A full season of Turner and a healthy Harper doesn't hurt either. I think this team is a good bit better than they were last year.

Offensively the team should be just fine.  It's the pitching that scares me.  Strasburg and Ross aren't exactly good bets for 32 starts.  Gio is heartburn waiting to happen.  And the bullpen needs to prove itself.

Only undefeated team in the NL  :excited:

Jeremy Guthrie.  Seriously?

32 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Jeremy Guthrie.  Seriously?

Joe Ross started at Syracuse today:

2.2IP, 6H, 4R, 3 ER, 3BB, and 3K

Guthrie won't start another game, right?  Just put AJ Cole in the damn rotation.

4 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Guthrie won't start another game, right?  Just put AJ Cole in the damn rotation.

No Ross can be recalled April 12th for his next start.  Probably see Guthrie again down the line for a double header or something, but that was gross. 

For all the stress about the bullpen and rotation depth, I think the biggest problem this year might be defense. Of the 8 full time starters I'd only rank two of them as above-average defenders at their position (Harper and Rendon), and they both play corner positions, and neither is a defensive superstar- they're just above average. Four of the six already mediocre defenders were already on the wrong side of 30 last year so you'd expect them to drop off, and I suspect Eaton in CF + Turner at SS might be a defensive downgrade from Turner in CF + Espinosa at SS overall.

The offense can make up for it and play lots of AL-style games like last night if we're healthy, but if we lose multiple position player starters over long periods we could be in trouble.

Nice play by Werth in the 8th giving the Phillies a run.  God he sucks. 

Defense is certainly a bigger problem than I anticipated.  10 errors so far is pretty bad.  Bullpen is still the bigger worry for me.  It is hard to see how to fix it without a trade.  A team bullpen ERA over 6 is troublesome enough, but there's also no one really stepping up to suggest that he's deserving of more innings.

On 4/21/2017 at 9:48 AM, Swing 51 said:

Sweep

2 people like this

Crazy game last night but a W is a W. And Trea with the cycle!!

This team looks better than I expected. I expected an offensive powerhouse, but I thought the spotty defense would create a ton of problems for the usually reliable starting pitching.  So far that hasn't really happened. And they did an amazing job on this road trip.  Ten games in ten days, including a Sunday night game followed by a game the next day two time zones away, only one Strasburg start in the ten games due to paternity leave, and they'll still go 8-2 or 9-1 after they wrap it up today.  Hats off to Dusty for pushing all the right buttons on the lineup and rest and generally keeping them motivated during this slog.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Zim has been the biggest delightful surprise for me this year. I thought he'd continue his downward slide to mediocrity and beyond, but this is the best that he's looked in about five years.

Hoping he can stay healthy and keep playing at a high level (the .380 average is probably unsustainable). 

Edited by Don Quixote

19 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

Zim has been the biggest delightful surprise for me this year. I thought he'd continue his downward slide to mediocrity and beyond, but this is the best that he's looked in about five years.

Hopin he can stay healthy and keep playing at a high level (the .380 average is probably unsustainable). 

Dropoff is inevitable pretty much across the board, especially with Zim and his .438 BABIP.  But the good news is that there's at least one person who will presumably pick up some of the slack when it happens.  Rendon has been godawful, with a .231/.310/.256 slash line.  He was also terrible last April before returning to his usual self the rest of the season.  If/when he returns to form again that will help a lot.

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Dropoff is inevitable pretty much across the board, especially with Zim and his .438 BABIP.  But the good news is that there's at least one person who will presumably pick up some of the slack when it happens.  Rendon has been godawful, with a .231/.310/.256 slash line.  He was also terrible last April before returning to his usual self the rest of the season.  If/when he returns to form again that will help a lot.

Yes as a fantasy owner, I would love for Rendon to pick it up any day now.  He's the only Nationals hitter that I have stock in     :bag:    But I have faith.  

Just now, fred_1_15301 said:

Yes as a fantasy owner, I would love for Rendon to pick it up any day now.  He's the only Nationals hitter that I have stock in     :bag:    But I have faith.  

Fundamentals are there.  Walk and K rates the same as his usual, hitting the ball to all fields, looks healthy.  Just not barreling it up yet.

Uh oh, Eaton. Hopes it's not serious. 

5 minutes ago, dgreen said:

Uh oh, Eaton. Hopes it's not serious. 

That did not look good. Took me down the Wizards high pretty quick.

48 minutes ago, pandora said:

Ha, so much for that trade.

Injury sucks,  but he's still under contract through 2021 with the options.

Giolito has been even worse than last year, so I don't think the Nats are regretting the trade.

On 4/27/2017 at 11:27 AM, fred_1_15301 said:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

6-6, 3 HR and 10 RBI now

31 points for me today!  Still going to lose this week but.......   :excited: 

BTW - having the Nationals closer is frustrating as hell.  When they win by 10 runs a game every day, it's hard to get saves.    

AJ Cole (or god forbid Jacob Turner) replacing Joe Ross

3 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

AJ Cole (or god forbid Jacob Turner) replacing Joe Ross

Looks like Turner, unless they need to use him in relief over the next few days.  Cole has to serve a suspension for hitting Jung-Ho Kang first (which he really should be pardoned for).

Hopefully Ross can get things straightened out.

1 person likes this

Blake Treinen has pictures on someone, right?